What's new

My very first grow on my very first post

Here is the latest update.

The plants are doing well. I moved the plants to there final destination. They are currently under a 1000 watt MH. I have raised the nute strength to around 1050 ppm.

These pics are of the plants 43 days from seed.

I am lovin' these fan leaves. I have never seen one this big in person.

The stem is getting thicker

And last but not least, a cheers to all you growers, with my favorite beer, Killian's.

PEP

G'Day mate, nice healthy plants you have there, hope you dont mind if i tag along for this trip. Looks great for a first grow to me, you should be proud of those so far. Very good work, and good luck.

PEP..

G

Looking real good and I bet the new room is going to kick even more ass!

I have a question for anyone with an opinion.

Do you think that I should put them into flower, or should I allow them to veg more?

I have 9' of headroom, and there is no rush for me to harvest. :bongsmi:

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
How tall are they??? Take lower half branching off.

I like mine 22-28 inches in the perfect situation

They are about 27 inches tall.

What do you mean by "take the lower half braching off"? Do you mean I should cut the lower half that is branching off? And if so, won't that stress the plant out cutting all that off? I have never done this before, so if you wouldn't mind guiding me through this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

jedi, I would definately flower them. You have 9 feet of headroom, but your light is good for 2-3 feet tops. Believe it or not you may have actually over veged them already. I think you will be ok though, since the strain your growing is an indica. When growing with 400w lights, I like to have my plants finish around 3 feet tops, 2-2.5 is perfect IMO. So with your average indica I flower at around 15-20" when using a 400w.

What do you mean by "take the lower half braching off"? Do you mean I should cut the lower half that is branching off? And if so, won't that stress the plant out cutting all that off?

What blunt is suggesting, is to cut off any branching that does not reach the top half of the plant. So if your plant is 28", any branches that don't make it above 14" tall would be removed.

The logic: (In theory) A plant is going to produce a given amount of bud, based on genetics and root mass (and how good of a job you do). If you chop off the lower branches, you will get fatter colas. Rather than wasting energy growing whispy "popcorn" nugs, the plant will focus that energy on the main colas. In theory, the weight that you would lose from chopping the lower branches will be compensated with fatter main colas. Again, in theory :wink:

You don't want to butcher the plant, and you will have a much better idea of what will grow into a nice fat cola and what will be a whispy little nothing after you get through this grow. As for the stress factor, trust me when I say that these plants are extremely resiliant and they can shake off much more stressful ordeals than a minor trim like nothing.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck, but it looks like youve got it under control.

GOG, thanks for the quick reply.

I have just one question, when you say the light is only good for 2-3 feet tops are you reffering to a 400 watt light or a 1000 watt light, because they are currently under a 1000 watt light.

And thanks for clearing things up for me. It really helps. :D

jediknightsmoke said:
GOG, thanks for the quick reply.

I have just one question, when you say the light is only good for 2-3 feet tops are you reffering to a 400 watt light or a 1000 watt light, because they are currently under a 1000 watt light.

And thanks for clearing things up for me. It really helps. :D

Oh I thought you were using a 400w, my mistake :D Id still flower them now, should be about perfect.

Thanks Sleepy, I have tried my best to keep them happy anyways. And thanks for you help Gift of Gab and Blunt.

I took your advise and put them into flower last night. I also did some trimming like I was advised.

The current ppm is 1180
The pH is ~5.6
RH is about 40%
Room temp is 76
Res temp is about 70

Here are the pics on their first day of flower, 43 days from seed. In the pictures you can see the trimming I did last night

A view from the top

A side view of one of the girls after the trim

and a little closer

a picture from the underside

and last but not leas the soil girl after the trim

So what do you think of the trimming I did? Did I trim them too much, not enough, or just right?

Last edited:
Good, I thought I might have taken a little too much off. It's good to hear I am doing things right from someone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks for the reply Sleepy.

This morning I woke up and went into the room and the moment I stepped in I felt moisture on my feet. The whole system drained itself onto the floor. :yoinks: After some investigation, I found that one of the buckets weren't able to drain due to the root mass at the bottom of the bucket.
:fsu:
So, I lowered the amound of water recirculating to the buckets. I hope this works, otherwise I won't be able to recirculate the system.

Day 7 of Flower

Day 7 of Flower

I am finally going to give an update.

Air Temp 78
Res Temp 70
pH 5.7
ppm 1300
RH 37%

Since my last post, the size of my plants went from 27" tall to 34" tall. So it is growing about an inch a day. I have added AN Big Bud and AN Carbo Load to the nutrient equation.

I am not experiencing the incredible growth that everyone describes. I am getting quite a bit of side growth but they haven't stretched very much at all. I don't know if I should worry or not. Another thing that I am worring about is the budsite development. I am not seeing much development at all.

The pistils are developing pretty well though.

Here are some pics of the room and the plants.

So what do you think? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

somoz

Veteran
ppm seems a little high for the 7th day but hey: i'm always a fan of pushin it...the only thing that you could do at this point to help your ladies out is increase RH up to the 60's-70's range and then for the last 2 weeks of flowering drop the humidity back down to the 30's...helps with thc formulation imo( that is the lower RH)..

other than that your plants look great man!! good job so far: just keep it up and you'll have your self some of your own homegrown....take it easy.....somoz

Thanks for the reply somoz. :D

I don't know if the ppm is too high or not. I had the ppm at 1200 for the last week and they seemed to like it, so I moved it up to 1300. We'll see how it goes.

I also added a humidifier in the grow room so the RH should be up now. :woohoo:

What about the bud formation? Should I be seeing something yet? :1help:

somoz

Veteran
nice...good to here your fixes jedi...ppm is relative to media, growin style and strain so push until ya see some of the tips yellow and then bring it down a bit........as far as bud formation goes you gotta be patient....this is only the 7th day...majority of plants take 60-80 days to completly flower, so you won't see any formation until the 3rd 4th week and even then it is very minimal.....6th weed depending on strain is when you should start gettin excited...until then save it :joint: .......good luck broheim...somoz

Day 19 of Flower

Day 19 of Flower

Thanks for the replies Somoz and Superjoint. :D

Wow, it has been a while since an update.

Sorry, I have been busy lately. Well here we go.

Here are the current stats for the plants.

Air Temperature 73
Res Temperature 67
pH 5.7
ppm 1350
RH 50%

I am finally experiencing the stretch that everyone talks about. The largest plant is about 6'5" from the floor to the top of the plant, and it is still growing.

They seem to be drinking quite a bit too, about a gallon a day.

Well here are the pics.

How do they look to you guys?