What's new

my unknown monster!!!

Hooked-On-Grown
That is what am talking about Big Trees and Kitten...

Hey Hog here is some info

Organic Gardening by the Moon

By Marion Owen

My friend Amy sometimes braces herself before going to work. Amy works at the hospital and when the moon is full, those nights in the emergency room are, as she calls it, “memorable.”

Many scientists insist that the myth that a full moon affects the behavior of humans, animals and plants is a bunch of baloney. But police, bartenders and folks like Amy will tell you otherwise.

Before I go further, let me tease you with a possibility: What if mowing your lawn during certain phases of the moon retarded growth which meant you didn’t have to mow as often? Keep reading. I bet you won’t be shaking your head much longer!

According to a National Geographic news article more gardeners today are turning to the moon for sage advice on the best time to plant, prune, weed, and harvest. The practice, known as moon or lunar gardening, centers on the moon’s gravitational effect on the flow of moisture in soil and plants.

Gardening by the moon is as old as time. Long before man (and women!) ever had a watch on his wrist or a calendar on the refrigerator, everything was governed by the phases of the moon.

May the Force Be With You!

Moon gardening has been passed down through many generations.

“There are firm believers in moon gardening today who will not plant anything unless a favorable moon sign is indicated,” says Ed Hume, one of the Pacific Northwest’s favorite garden gurus and proponent of the moon’s influences on gardening1.

The moon controls ocean tides, influences the groundwater tables beneath our feet and the movement of fluids in plants. Even continental land masses are said to rise two to three feet in elevation with the passage of the moon. Understanding the effects, and timing your gardening chores accordingly, is the basis of moon gardening.

For example, the best time to turn over garden soil is during the last quarter of the moon (decreasing moon phase) because that’s when the water table has dropped to its lowest point. This means there is less moisture in the soil. Taking your back into consideration, it is easier to turn soil over when there is less moisture in it!

How to Garden By Moon Phases

The moon moves through a complete cycle every 29 days. For moon gardening purposes, this cycle is divided into four quarters or phases. The term phase refers to the moon’s apparent shape as viewed from earth during the month. To plant by the moon phases you will need an almanac or calendar, such as Ed Hume’s Planting Guide, that lists the exact time and date of the moon phases.

The lunar month starts with the new moon, also called “the dark of the moon.” From the new moon to the first quarter and from the first quarter to the full moon, the moon appears to grow from nothing to a crescent and then to a full circle at mid-month. These are the increasing or waxing phases.

Increasing Light — New Moon to Full Moon

Examples of garden chores to do by the light of the moon:
(Note: These are general guidelines. I highly recommend referring to Ed Hume’s Planting Guide for specific planting tasks):

· Repot and groom houseplants

· Sow seeds of plants that grow above ground

· Fertilize

· Graft fruit trees

· Plant evergreen and deciduous trees

The decreasing or waning phases are when the moon “shrinks” from the full moon down to the new moon (darkness). As the moon wanes during the 3rd and 4th quarters, this is a good time to prune plants, as the water table is diminishing and so less sap will flow out of the cut ends. The plants are said to orient themselves toward their roots, making this a favorable time for planting, transplanting and harvesting root crops in general. The 4th quarter is the most dormant period and is good for chores like weeding.

Decreasing Light — Full Moon to Dark of the Moon

Examples of garden chores to do by the dark of the moon:
(Note: These are general guidelines. I highly recommend referring to Ed Hume’s Planting Guide for specific planting tasks).

· Plant bulbs

· Plant crops that grow below the ground, such as potatoes, carrots

· Cultivate weeds

· Plant biennials and perennials because they need strong roots

· Eliminate slugs

· Prune shrubs

How is sowing, transplanting and harvesting linked to phases of the moon? One theory is that during the light (waxing) of the Moon, sap is thought to flow more strongly, filling plants with vitality and energy, favoring the planting and harvesting of crops that mature above ground.

What the moon gardening movement currently lacks is a body of modern scientific work that validates its benefits...

Science or Baloney?

John Teasdale, director of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Systems Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland, said he is not aware of any research on the lunar influences on agriculture, though he said an experiment could be established.

“We know that the moon influences some natural phenomena such as tides,” he said. “I would guess that a simple hypothesis would be that lunar cycles could influence meteorological cycles which in turn could influence crops.”

RJ Harris, the head gardener at a private estate near Cornwall, England conducts his own experiments. Each year he cultivates a selection of crops in opposition to the best practices of moon-gardening methods. Crops planted according to the lunar cycle fare much better, he said.

“I’ve got a large area in potatoes. We’ve got some planted at the right time of the moon and some crops at the wrong time of the moon. The difference is so obvious and there for everybody to see,” he said.

Now it’s your turn. Test the validity of gardening by the moon in your own garden. Plant some crops by the correct moon sign and others by the wrong moon sign. Experiment with above ground and below ground crops. Try mowing different parts of your lawn according to the moon phases! Send me your results either by email or, better yet, send me a photograph. I’ll send you a set of my photo note cards and a free box of PlanTea organic fertilizer.

For the present, let the moon shine brightly and the breezes
of the spring blow gently, dying away from the gale of the day, and let the earth,
who brings increase, bring peace. —E.M. Forster _

Names of Full Moons
January: Wolf
February: Snow, Quickening, Storm
March: Worm, Sap, Chaste
April: Seed, Pink, Grass, Sprouting, Wind
May: Flower, Corn Planting, Hare
June: Strong, Rose, Sun, Strawberry
July: Mead, Thunder, Buck
August: Sturgeon, Wort, Corn
September: Barley, Harvest
October: Hunter’s, Blood
November: Mourning, Beaver
December: Cold, Oak, Long Night’s

1Ed Hume publishes an annual Garden Almanac which gives month by month moon sign gardening calendar — you can buy your own copy for just $1.49 through my online catalog.

Ed Hume’s Garden Almanac serves as a handy reference guide for the best dates for sowing seeds, pruning, tending houseplants, transplanting, and fertilizing. Dates are included for watering, composting, harvesting, and even when to mow the lawn to retard growth! There is a wealth of information in the Garden Almanac. It’s like knowing “the Force is with you!”

Marion Owen is co-author of the best selling book Chicken Soup for the Gardening Soul and teaches organic gardening at the University of Alaska. Visit http://www.plantea.com/marion.htm for more great information on organic gardening._

Hope this helps.. Like you need it..
Sauce..

Tropical

SohcDutch said:
dam thats a big ass plant. it makes me think of my friend that had a 6 ft plant growing right by his front door "outdoors". that shit was so cool. the pizza dude would come to del. some pizza looking at this 6 ft plant. they never really said anything. but it still was cool. we had like atleast four tall ones. but they all turn out to be males...

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT BEAST
SohcDutch

Four males that big will make you enough Cannabutter to keep you and your buddies in a constant, stoned, stupor for a month.

KRS Juan said:
...outdoor flowering season begins around september 22nd-28th. You wont see buds for at least 2 weeks after that, maybe more...

Hmmm... Where do you get that? My experience is different. Most strains will start to flower in August up north, according to the breeders and the grow reports I've read of northern growers. The closer you get to the equator, the closer the day/night cycle gets to 12/12 and plants will flower all year long. I live south of Miami, Florida and "early" strains will flower all year long here. I had a bag seed hybrid from Jamaica that flowered right through the summer solstice last year.

Hooked-On-Grown said:
...I assume once it flowers it will take the standard 8 weeks

8 weeks is standard for indicas and our modern hybrids, but a pure land race sativa could easily go more than ten weeks, even twenty.

With you big, sunny, private backyard, why do you even bother flowering indoors? If it were me, I would keep some moms indoors and put out a bunch of sativa clones every spring. I would also put out indicas from November through February for winter and spring harvests. Then, I would put out some early strains from March through June for summer harvests.

Did you save a clone of this plant to keep as a mom indoors in case you love the smoke? It looks like the yield will be there.

I see that part of your plant is in the shade. I would be great to see how she does next year in full sun.

What part of Florida are you in? Do you ever get frost?

Personally, I'm not found of working outdoors during the summer with all the heat, humidity, and insects. I've done some outdoor grows in the winter though. The days are to short to veg during the fall, so I vegged indoors.
1826both_03_cropped_very_lo_res-med.jpg

I also put out some seedlings in the winter and got a stealthy micro SOG grow.

1826LUI_cropped_22-med.jpg

G

MAN HOG, those are getting HUGH and i do mean very HUGH. Those have turned out to be a very special TREE you got there. It's almost to the roofs edge and you just got to love that. :) Your doing a killer job and your going to be one happy camper very soon. One thing i do kind of hate and this is just me. I hate when i have a large harvest like that. When you got to trim it by yourself. Fucking takes forever and you can't have anyone over or you got to move to another location to do the work. I'm going out this weekend to check on the 102 clones that i put out of
NYCD
LSD#1
TrainWreck
Green Giant

Haven't been out and don't know what's going on with them, but i'll post some pictures.

Great job HOG, Watch out. I might be under that bush in my Ghillie suit with your cat stalking you :) jokin
Take care

Tropical

BillyGoat said:
...I hate when i have a large harvest like that. When you got to trim it by yourself. Fucking takes forever and you can't have anyone over or you got to move to another location to do the work....

I would just trim a few ounces and throw the rest in the freezer. Then, when I'm ready, I would run the rest of the buds and trim through the bubble bags for hash. Then, I would take the buds and trim out of the bags and make Cannabutter from it.

I wish that were my problem, a harvest that's too large.

Last edited:

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
dam sause...you trying to kill me with all the reading you been giving me?? LOL!! Good info....thwy talk of that in the Farmers Almanac.

Thanks for the info tropical......I have never grown outside before this. I am definetly going to do more outside for sure. Yes I took a few clones of her.....just in case. I grow indoors for better control and security. I have 12-15 strains and am going to start taking some clones to grow outside in pots.

Billygoat.....I hear ya....my central a.c broke and there was no way I could have called a repair guy to come out. "hmmm, maybe he won't notice it?" LOL! Thats why I love online forums!! You can't tell anyone you know that your growing and you want to share with someone!! I wish we could be open about growing!!
Maybe one day. Yeah.....trimming is gonna take awhile I'm sure.....its worthit.
Good idea about the hash tropical!!

If she won't behave... heavy bondage is in order ;)

You could pound a few more stakes in the ground in front of her, about 6ft away from the house. Use them to tie her main branches down, she's getting big and needs all the light she can get. If you do it gradually you should have to worry about breaks...

I don't like bending branches in two myself, the branch ends up being crooked and unable to hold as much weight. Instead I gently pinch fresh growth until you feel a "pop"... twist the slightly woody stems and you'll also hear a pop. Cracking the inner hull of the stem causes them to heal stronger than before as well as bush out below the spot.

I think you're right... she's got quite a bit of sativa in her, bet she'll still be going into november...

Good luck, you've definetely got a montster on your hands...

Hog that bush is Huge she has a massive stalk and i bet she will yeild over a lb of dried buds when she is done. It realy is a monster plant. Peace Homegrown

Xtrakritical

HOG you are the Man!

What a sweet thing to have such a huge tree without even trying!

I cant believe that shit is so huge without anything special...
Friggin Incredible!

Definately watching this one!

I have a thing for them big bitches! :D

Great thread HOG!
:wave:

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Awesome! Simply awesome!

You're going to need a chain saw to harvest that girl... :cool:

Can't wait to see what she's like when she goes into bloom! And to hear how she smells up the hood!

-Bob

Tropical

That huge harvest will be awesome, but, personally, I prefer to harvest a smaller bush each month, rather than one huge one each year. I need to veg indoors to pull that off, but it can be done. Keep it green,

Tropical

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
beleive me Tropical........I can't pull in near as much as I do indoors as this one outside! Not even same ballpark!

I just threw this outside cause I didn't know what it was. It took on a life of its own.

I look at this as a bonus for the year for all my hard work indoors all year!

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
HOG thats a amazing outdoor plant i have ever seen. For someone who just throw it outside just shows any nobbie that its as easy to do because it is a weed to say the least:p :D

friendlyfriend

Veteran
thank goodness your home is safe and sound I am glad your safe and my prayers go out to those that werent so fortunate. But damn bro that monster if mamoth... almost like a super huge ancient species of cannabis. damn breaking it was a friggin awesome idea and she's gonna have some mighty huge colas. For sure For sure :D

G

hey HOG

hey HOG

give CC a PM, hes doin a supercroppin tech in the new IC issue"breakin there necks"

I have a BB sativa i was performin some bondage on and the main stalk snapped over +90 degrees, like to shite myself,LOL.

anyway had read some from CC, so I held it up 90 degrees with wire off the wall, the top half of that plant knucked up , pulled itself up to the light, and above the break the bud went crazy,no shit now.......below it, not much happenin. she was in flower at the time.

you could bust all those main stalks over 90 degrees and stake um there. she will blow up like ya never seen, no kiddin now, and she will pack on girth above the breaks.

i know it sounds wrong and the plant will look fugged, I know it would be hard to break it all to hell as it looks killer, but try it man, she will fill in more horizontal , and you bud size will amaze ya:D

CBF

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HOG

HOG

nice lookin plant...she is huge!.....cant wait to see it all finished, havent seen one that big in a while...we have an AK outside that is doing very nice also. its great to watch them mature..keep the pics coming:) mrs babba:)

Latest posts

Latest posts