What's new

My talk with a dispensary owner.

Ive learned people who grow or deal with meds dont like you to know more than they do, They get defensive if you point out problems in a grow room or tell them there doing something wrong, Or correct them about what there strain is a hybrid of ect ect.
I gave up and just agree with them its much easyer and they can think they are smarter than me if they want.

maryj315

I agree with the poster above. There is a time to speak and a time to let them run their mouth. You have to decide what is more important his money or play, which has the biggest nose contest. I do believe walking into every dispensary and debating the person you are trying to sell your stuff to be not a good approach.

Next time let your product do the talking. If it is that good it will sell itself but remember if he is smart he is not going to let you know it. Get on the shelf first then figure out how to make up for what you had to give up getting your spot on his shelf.

Getting on the shelf for people to try your product is your goal if it flies's off the shelf then you can play smart guy in the room.

Mj

S

sparkjumper

First of all I didnt think a person had to be credible to be ripped off by one of these sanctioned dealers.Anyone that can sell an eighth of erb for 60 bucks or more isnt someone I would have any conversation with.If I lived in Cali I'd either grow my own clandestently or buy from someone on the street.It would be difficult to be ripped off as badly from a dealer than a dispensary owner.You'd almost have to try.I dont understand all these smiling people getting their"cards" so they too can be ripped off by the legal distributor.Really makes one wonder

D4sh3y

yeah dude some people at some shops just don't have any idea wtf they are talking about but have to put up a facade because there's a lot of people who DO know wtf they are talking about.

I went to a dispensary and asked the bud tender if he had any indica dominant strains available and he looked at me like i was speaking a different language ( i really didnt think that was that confusing ) and hes like "ahhh nahh man, heh ehheh, we don't have anything like THAT. ) and then he starts showing me some strains including some that i know are indica dominant... and im just like OK get my bag of weed and leave lol :)

GHUA

Didn't he tell us that he wasn't trying to sell anything, but just have a chat and a smoke with the owner, or have i misunderstood something here?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
First off, dispensaries are a bit alien to most of us, myself included.
But to me they pose a big problem with the thing as a whole. Here they are going on the prowess that they are providing medicine to patients, yet they know squat about squat for the most part. How can these folks, that are basically glorified digital scales masters, be prescribing medicine?
Perhaps I have it wrong and there are intermediaries that do the prescribing, or perhaps the Doc himself does this. But if not, just what the fuck is going on with this big medical dispensary facade? If these so called 'bud tenders' are running the whole show, then surely some of us see that this is doing nothing but making a mockery of cannabis?
I dunno...maybe it's just me...

In any event, no matter what venue you choose, you will always find the people on the retail end lacking. For an example, if you know cars or motorcycles, and I mean know them like we know canna, try going into a retail store. ANY retail store. There will be knowledgeable folks there, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty details that only the most avid would involve themselves in, you won't find many that can talk good shop with you.
Most all of them have the boilerplate bullshit ingrained into their heads, and that's about it.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
don't take it badly mate... here's a conversation I had with a bud tender (in his 40's) in Amsterdam last year...

(upon inspecting listed SSH and identifying it as the Amnesia that cut that me and everyone else here grows)

me: ahh, it's nice to see someone actually label this properly, everyone else is on the "Amnesia" bandwagon.. it's rare to see this cut listed as SSH..

BT: it's not listed as Amnesia, because it's not Amnesia they're completely different strains

me: you must be refering to Soma's Amnesia HAZE I guess, but most shops are just selling the SSH cut as Amnesia HAZE even though it's just Amnesia (no haze)

BT: ...no they don't it's a completely differnt plant

me: errm I think you'll find that most of the Amnesia being sold in A'dam is actually SSH mate it's just a specific pheno that was isolated by Hypro after findng some bagseed

BT: I've never heard of this pheno thing, it looks like I can't tell you anything...

me: no mate, no you can't...

S

sparkjumper

Everyone knows deep down that the reason for medical MJ is so someday recreational use will happen.This doesnt mean cannabis cant help with ailments because it obviously can,but so can a bottle of liquor.To all the sick people being helped by smoking I hope you understand where I'm coming from.The idea of medical MJ when it first started wasn't to help sick people,it just turned out that it really does alleviate some ailments for some people but the origin of the idea wasn't humanitarian at all.It was to very selfish indeed.The legalization for personal use.Myself if I'm in pain and smoke some erb,it intensifies the fuck out of it lol

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
that guy sounds like a fucking douche....you were too kind for him. i woulda told him "type that shit in google right now il bet you an 8th smart guy"

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Well I had my first dispensary experience and it was a little weird. I am a friend of a friend of this owner and hav talked with him a few times. I only have space queen on hand and wanted sme heavy indica for sleep. I decide to take a little of the space queen with me, figured I'd show him what I've ben working with and mayby have a lil smoke sesh. I pull out 2 jars and here is the dialogue that followed.
Me: hey here are 2 space queen phenos that I have.
Owner: so what exactly do you mean by phenotype?
Me: I mean the scientific definition of the observable charactoristics of an organisms which is the result of the parents genes.
Owner: so what about these 2 are different.
Me: biggest difference is smell, but also but structure, flower time & yield.
Owner: I see nothing here that wold lead me to believe these arnt off the same plant.
Me: I'm not sure I'm following you these were definately 2 different plants.
Owner: that doesn't mean anything, these are the same pheno.
Me: but the 2 plants weren't much alike especially the smell.
Owner: different smell does not mean different pheno. There are specific criteria to b a different pheno. That smell could have come from anywhere like nutes or curing.
Me: I'm not sure I'm understanding you still. I thought that pheno was like blond hair is a pheno of human, blue eyes are a phenotype and so on.
Owner: look I can be a dick and agree that you have to phenos there and make you happy because you obviously know it all. Go back to the book you read and re read it. Saying stuff like that really hurts your credibility.

Now since then I have went and reread to make sure I wasn't crazy. And sure enough I'm not. Just google phenotype or genotype/phenotype relationship. It's very clear that any identifiable characteristics weather it came from genes or genes+environment =phenotype.

Sorry just had to vent. It's real frustrating having someone be so wrong yet fell so good about it.

i only read this post and no responses but i can tell you this... Dispensary owners are fucking dumb... The first one i talked to when my buddy asked if he knew about strains he said o yea... like indoor and outdoor...

Just wanted to do a face palm. Most these guys are dumb. They dont grow and if they do they grow 1970 style and dont know shit and never been on the interwebs....

The guy probably wont be around long enough if he acts like this... The guy that talked about the indoor and outdoor also said he can get weed like mine from many people... He insulted my intelligence and half the shit he said made him look like a douche. Needless to say he STILL calls me after 3 months of not answering my phone...

Its funny the person that should know the most about the weed is usually the dumbass that doesnt know shit but thinks he knows it all.

Seems like not a very smart person when it comes to our beloved herb. May go to buy some hash and see the tar scraped from his bong as hash. As another member said save the headaches let him do his own thing.

Dorje113

Yeah, I don't how so many dispensary owners are so clueless in so many ways related to this biz. Sounds the same in CA as it is in CO.

And hoosierdaddy is right, it's not just mmj, it's across the board. Middlemen mark up $hit 100% without providing enough added value in most cases. And they tend to be ignorant douches too...

I think this merits a study...:)

S

sparkjumper

Tell them you want "fat leafed marijuana not skinny leafed,maybe they can grasp that concept lol

HUGE

Veteran
did he like the smoke?
one phenotype or both?

we never smoked. after the convo i said cool show me some indica. he had sour d looked good, blue dream, kings kush, bubba. the bubba looked and smelled amazing. he didnt grow it. 200 1/2. after smoking i realized it didnt get you very high. its not just me 2 other folks complained of weakness. i looked under the scope ad see lots of clear trichs almost no amber. my guess is its like 1-2 weeks preme.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
it's hard to have conversations with people who think they know what's up. I know this one guy who is convinced he has 6 phenos of Northern Lights because he can't grow with any consistency. I just let him believe what he wants.

Latest posts

Latest posts