What's new

my soil is COOKING almost killed plants help!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Not to side track this thread any further,but I've been using a backyard porch light (flood type,and on a timer) from about 50 feet away. Is that enough to interrupt the plants signal to flower? Stringing lights out in my neck of the woods would have the local-yokels through the trees poking there noses in my bizz.
If your still out there Tom.....or anyone who uses this method.
So far they look fine,but is it enough light?

J

JackTheGrower

I didn't get that from Tree Frog Tom.. I did make the Xmass Tree connect before i read the next two post.

I love your grow area Tom.. I looked at every pixel..

Anyway.. Yes you just need to turn you soil.. 125 isn't anything special. If you like add some pine shavings.. not a lot just a bit.

You have an active compost going is all. So go with it.. Add rock dust such as Azomite at this time too.

But don't panic.. It's organic.

May I point out that Chicken Manure more than likely contains Carcinogens.

I point this out since I know first hand what Poultry farms do.

Scotts ( Miracle grow brand ) wrote me back telling me they didn't endorse using their soil for Medical Cannabis.

Just a friendly warning to all.

Maina

Veteran
I didn't get that from Tree Frog Tom.. I did make the Xmass Tree connect before i read the next two post.

I love your grow area Tom.. I looked at every pixel..

Anyway.. Yes you just need to turn you soil.. 125 isn't anything special. If you like add some pine shavings.. not a lot just a bit.

You have an active compost going is all. So go with it.. Add rock dust such as Azomite at this time too.

But don't panic.. It's organic.

May I point out that Chicken Manure more than likely contains Carcinogens.

I point this out since I know first hand what Poultry farms do.

Scotts ( Miracle grow brand ) wrote me back telling me they didn't endorse using their soil for Medical Cannabis.

Just a friendly warning to all.
Thank you I will let it set 2 weeks than plant in it

Maina

Veteran
I use

25 bags black gold potting soil (1.5cf ea)

4 bags stutzman farms (3-2-2) chicken manure (1 cf ea)

1 bag perlite (4 cf ea)

1 bag (50 lbs) bonemeal (steamed, not precipitated)

1/2 bag gypsum (20lbs)

I mix well, water thoroughly, and let rest before planting for 2-3 weeks minimum. I have measured temps of approximately 125f at around the one week mark - don't plant in soil that hot.

April 22
picture.php

May 26
picture.php
Thank you Tom !

J

JackTheGrower

Turn it and add air. Letting it sit could cause a condition where anaerobic bacteria dominate and once you turn that pile it could heat up again even after 2 weeks.

The best thing is to turn and wet as needed.

Another way to balance this out is to add some long term carbon such as pine shavings we find in bales at the feed store or mini-bales at the pet shop/store

But seriously people Chicken manure is a bad choice for our inhaled produce.

There is enough evidence to support this claim against using it in our medical gardens. After all We want safe weed.

J

JackTheGrower

Mr. G is correct. When the soil cools that means the CS has been converted in to the ionic for for plants t absorb.........and that means quick death for the plants. I would also cut the soil mix with EWC, Compost and or peat.

V

Exactly right add a little more carbon and keep turning.

keep moist too..

Maina

Veteran
Turn it and add air. Letting it sit could cause a condition where anaerobic bacteria dominate and once you turn that pile it could heat up again even after 2 weeks.

The best thing is to turn and wet as needed.

Another way to balance this out is to add some long term carbon such as pine shavings we find in bales at the feed store or mini-bales at the pet shop/store

But seriously people Chicken manure is a bad choice for our inhaled produce.

There is enough evidence to support this claim against using it in our medical gardens. After all We want safe weed.
It is geting a tun of air .Its in smart pots They are 2 feet deap by 3 feet across would hard wood shavings work ?

J

JackTheGrower

Just for further clarification.......:D

picture.php

I wish I could do what you and Tom do.. It may be a while before I can grow outside still.

Lovely looking planters.

Was there some design concern on the diameter? I see you and Tom do not have reflective cover on the outside. Maybe it's always cool where you guys are?

J

JackTheGrower

Oh sorry for so many posts in your thread but I thought of another thing.

Once the bio-activity balances out you will have a relaxed situation with the microbes.

You will want to feed nitrogen so may I suggest the coffee,kelp + fish emulsion mix? That seems to work nice.

There is a thread called Witches Brew here if you would like to read..

I like it.. Maybe you will too.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi Jack and thanks man,

I would never turn a soil that is wet, the lay of the soil particles fall out of horizontal and into vertical position when doing so, driving Oxygen levels way down, and this is very hard to correct in short time. Nor would I add anything just yet, I would wait a week, stick a meat thermometer down and go @ 80f. It is difficult to give advice on modified versions of things I have and do use, but there it is.

You didn't really expect MG to recommend any of their products for anything related to cannabis did you? I won't use it for my own reasons, but there are folks running around here talking about cancer causing agents etc, instead of simply stating that MG has urea in it. And that's a bit rich for my blood. We could get into all the cancer causing heavy metals etc in many of the organic recommended products in this forum too -even made on the farm- could we not? Yes, we could, but I just don't see the point unless really pressed. -T

Mania,

I think you are OK, just let it rest some. The photos in these pics I was using 7 bags of chicken (about 175 lbs?) per about 300gallons, and had no problems at all.

1547DSCN1597-aug10.jpg

1547bucket.jpg

J

JackTheGrower

The good thing is we are sharing.

If they add say pine shavings then that will create air pockets so turning isn't so bad from my point of view.

But in my little box I have been adding perlite for years when I fire up the soil so your point is a great one on the "Air" pockets.

Wet is a relative term. Most of us have composted so we turn the pile and the steam rises in the cool air. So yes indeed air in the pile is necessary and any "soil mix" being composted needs air or it switches over to anaerobic and starts smelling like manure. So I would suggest turning the composting soil pile often and keeping it moist.
It takes a bit of practice but it works out.

Why use a meat thermometer? There are Compost thermometers. With nice rounds like you have a 22 inch probe would be a nifty tool for you. I love mine. Had it 20 years now.

But Tom you are right that a pile that has air can sit. I am on the active side when I work a soil mix.

Oh and Green Alfalfa in the compost mix will improve drainage if you have access to that and need to improve drainage in your soil.

and Yes I am talking about carcinogens. We should share that news for sure.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hey again Jack,

I am more speaking of soil tilth and the natural lay of the soil particles, which for the most part most of them are relatively flat in a decent soil. Additional inputs are a whole different matter, and should always be done while the soil is in a relatively dry condition. All, or most all traveling of microbes and larger, are done in a horizontal pathway throughout the soil, this pathway needs to stay open and available for travel. This is all in addition to the Oxygen content previously mentioned. Turning wet soil is not a good idea imo. Once these particles go vertical, we are pushing rocks uphill. -T

J

JackTheGrower

Hey again Jack,

I am more speaking of soil tilth, the natural lay of the soil particles, which for the most part most of them are relatively flat in a decent soil. Additional inputs are a whole different matter, and should always be done while the soil is in a relatively dry condition. All, or most all traveling of microbes and larger, are done in a horizontal pathway throughout the soil, this pathway needs to stay open and available for travel. This is all in addition to the Oxygen content previously mentioned. Turning wet soil is not a good idea imo. Once these particles go vertical, we are pushing rocks uphill. -T

It's okay .. We are saying what is common to our two points of view.

My point of view is from the compost pile out and growing in a planter bed with it. That should clear any strain we have in sharing ideas.

So in a hot composting pile I do recommend turning and maintaining
moisture.

I guess it depends on what Maina's style is all about.

I think Maina added a lot of N to a biologically healthy mix. So they could let sit or bulk that up and cook more,, LOL I'm nutty for compost!

I do so enjoy a nice compost pile.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Agreed Jack,

During composting, as material is digested and converted to humus, Co2 is the result and Oxygen must be added, it must be turned. But, the compost should never be so wet as to screw-up the end goal while turning. If it's so moist as to clod, it's too wet to turn imo. -T

J

JackTheGrower

Agreed Jack,

During composting, as material is digested and converted to humus, Co2 is the result and Oxygen must be added, it must be turned. But, the compost should never be so wet as to screw-up the end goal while turning. If it's so moist as to clod, it's too wet to turn imo. -T

A lot of folks don't know these things so a little organic drama is always good in this forum.

Yep that too wet would be the foul smelling bacteria.. Not good indeed.

Hey did you follow the Black soldier fly thread? That is anaerobic composting. Nasty smelling when wet. Pure Muck.

So Maina, Are you making rounds like Tom? I may have missed your input on what type of container or not you were using.

Tom Hill

Veteran
On the other side of the coin (and let's make no mistake, there are always two sides), too much Oxygen will cause too rapid of a decomposition and we will loose carbon, in the form of Co2, to the atmosphere - screwing the C:N:p:S ratio up. -T

PS, the drama doesn't bother me, lol, it's the one-sided coin that gets under my skin. The forum is very strong regarding biological processes of soil science, but there are some chemical processes involved too, many of which seem to be blasphemy to even approach -and that's a drag, man :D

J

JackTheGrower

Well no I don't factor the loss of carbon.. Interesting. It sure would be multiplied under this CS condition. <pun> on too much nitrogen.

So no mater what we will lose mass in our soils due to biological and electro-chemical.

So Mania what style are you shooting for? Small pots or planter or Rounds like Tom?

Tom, I have maintained one soil in a 4'x4'x2' planter bed going on 9 years now. I am sure my nose points slightly up.. What can i say... lol

--------------------------------------
edit:

About 239 gallons.. had to check Google for that number. Wow that sounds like a lot.

I'm all in when it comes to the organic soil I use. She can add more carbon with pine shavings. Adds some Iron and long term carbon.

Anyway. Everyone.. i have to get going so I am out of chat time today.

Be Well.

Maina

Veteran
I made them out of the same stuff as a smart pot .They are 3 1/2 feet by 2 feet I built them like tom I would love to make them the size of toms but its a 2 mile boat ride and a 1 mile walk in .

Latest posts

Latest posts