What's new

My pseudo-organic scrog

mad librettist

Veteran
I'll start with the pics. My micro cab is made from big rubbermaids. I've got 472 watts of cfl's in there now. I veged with 300 or so.

DSCF0001-2.jpg

One of these is in a pot that veged a mazar male, the other is in fresh dirt. The fresh soil is in a slightly larger container. It doesn't mean much, but the clone in the "used" soil is taking up more room and has bigger bud sites.

Here is beneath the canopy. Verdant Green helped me pick the right clones. He was right about using the v-shaped clones for scrog. I did very little training as a result.

DSCF0007-3.jpg

DSCF0006-1-1.jpg

I mist the soil every day, which is a peat based mix (working on it!), more or less like LC, but I guess I have added coco via my worm bins. :dunno: not sure how that makes me feel. Soon though, I've decided I'm going to 14 gallon bins and soil from outside.

scratch the surface and:
DSCF0010-1.jpg

There are also plenty of volunteer sprouts from the worm bin. I don't mind.
DSCF0008.jpg

budsites. 12/12 started january 27

DSCF0005-1.jpg

DSCF0011-2.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like a very decent canopy you've got yourself there mad - what size is it?

V.

mad librettist

Veteran
easy there verdant, we hardly know each other!

I meant to measure today, because you asked me in another thread, but I wound up taking pics. It's dark now. I harvested my failed seed plants yesterday. I'm just vaporizing like crazy. So I'm a little disorganized. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

mad librettist

Veteran
It's blue burmese from bagseed, btw. Wonderful genes. Neighbor left one on her windowsill in the kitchen, and it flowered without a single nanner. I reveged one I had given her, and that was the mother for these guys. Gotta say, I really like reveg cuts for scrog so far.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hybrid Vigor for sure, nice setup for the stealthy people.

Good job, keep on growing!

V

vonforne

Nice man! Do you plan on trimming that bush or just let it go wild? Tats gonna be a nice bag ´o´ buds

mad librettist

Veteran
Well what do you think? I'm considering thinning it out, or maybe a mix of thinning and reshaping leaves to split the difference.

I've actually removed quite a bit already. Not sure where to go from here. I've not done many scrogs, and this is the first time I have too much growth.

It's CFL, so no penetration, but on the other hand it's lots of CFL, and really good ventilation.

V

vonforne

In t last two pics they look real thick especially the first one. Can you spread them out some more? How much so you think they will stretch?

V

mad librettist

Veteran
this one is fast and stretches little. They are putting on buds already, and they don't stretch from there.

I think I can do some crushing and tying to separate them a bit, but the canopy can't get any bigger. There are also a gazillion little one you can't see that are sort of an undercanopy. It's CROWDED.

mad librettist

Veteran
Did some culling of budsites today. It's looking still crowded but more reasonable.

Verdant, my canopy is around 26"x 17".

V

vonforne

I do not know too much about flowering with CFL´s but I am sure it is like a 250 security light I started with. Not much below the canopy will develop well and takes away from the upper bud sites.

Post up some updates for us.

V

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey mad looks great - i think renoving excess bud sites is better than just removing leaves. if you have good ventilation you can leave it pretty crowded.

you were asking me about lights in another thread - im sure you will get results with the cfl's but i would say that - at those wattages - you would probably light your grow more efficiently with HPS or LED. i doubt a 250 hps would give out as much heat as your cfl's but would need to be 5-6" from the tops. your footprint is a little smaller than my 250 cab. as for LED's, i would say that one of the 126 watt units (check Hydro Grow's forum on the front page) would light you canopy brilliantly and, whilst it is expensive, would save you considerable amounts in power costs. the 126 watt gives out nearly 5000 lumens which i suspect is more than your 472 watts of cfl

cheers

V.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mad you gotta nice grow going there..so healthy..I'm bettin you'll have a good harvest from this..DD

mad librettist

Veteran
Thanks verdant and doobieduck.

VG, I can't do 5-6 inches from the tops. No room. My tops hang out about an inch below the lights.

However, for the sake of LED I would build a new cab. Let's see where life takes me next year first.

Update: Damn this stuff flowers fast. These shots are all posted same day. I wanted to emphasize again that one of these containers veged another plant, and no N was added beyond a little bit of pickled kitchen waste.

DSCF0011-3.jpg

DSCF0018-1.jpg

for reference, here is 3 days ago:

DSCF0011-2.jpg

mad librettist

Veteran
Thanks Canna.

Today I had them good and thirsty, so I mixed up a fresh worm castings slurry. I threw in 4 tsp of fish hydrolysate for a gallon and a half of water. Made the rounds of all house plants with that.

mad librettist

Veteran
Well I treat my medium like it's an organism, or rather, a pseudo-organism.

ergo, pseudo-organic.

It generally means I don't feed because the plant needs something. I add food to my soil to feed the microbes and make it grow, so the plant can get what it needs if it wants to. I mostly do this when there is no plant in the container. Otherwise, I basically just give compost and water. I try to avoid rapid change. Basically I am like the federal reserve, making sure the economy doesn't run too hot, or too cold, and mostly guessing how.

I have a pseudo-ecosystem indoors, with worm bins and bokashi to turn my trash to food for soil, and a pseudo-organic medium with all kinds of life including invertebrate predators (worms).

mad librettist

Veteran
Ok, training day!

DSCF0014.jpg

I'm trying to open it up a bit.

DSCF0005-3.jpg

and here is the canopy. This is 16 days flowering I think. Did I mention this is bagseed?

DSCF0013-1.jpg