What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My other hobby (One of many)

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
My wife got me a 120mm telescope Xmas before last. It came on a flimsy tripod. After much reading and learning about amateur astronomy, I realize the entire scope is pretty cheep. But I spent a few bucks on some lumber and paint and made a new mount for it.
picture.php

And a pic of it disassembled.
picture.php

The white squares are 1/8" teflon which help it glide smooth as butter. :rasta:

ROJO145

Veteran
Nice handi-work Vintner!!Astronomy always intrigued me but a decent scope costs.I got a couple books on building telescopes,someday when I get time.Ever thought of motorizing it and hookin up to your pc?Couple good progs out there make it easy to see the stars and take some shots.Pretty slick with the teflon:joint:

vintner

Veteran
Nice handi-work Vintner!!Astronomy always intrigued me but a decent scope costs.I got a couple books on building telescopes,someday when I get time.Ever thought of motorizing it and hookin up to your pc?Couple good progs out there make it easy to see the stars and take some shots.Pretty slick with the teflon:joint:

Thanks for the props Man :rasta: Got the plans for this mount from a book on telescope making. Much cheaper to build your own. You can get more for your money. I plan to build a 10"er next myself. Just waiting for the space to do it. Plan to eventually motorize that one on a horseshoe mount. Lots of info on that kind of thing on line. New to this hobby, so don't know much about how to hook it up to my PC or take pix yet.
Thanks again :rasta:

mjcuresall

Ya got skillz, vintner. Nicely done!

I had a scope a while ago, but never really got into gazing much. Maybe now that I'm outta the city I could actually see some stars instead of checking out the hot housewife on the next street! :biglaugh:

How often do you get to use it and what's the coolest stuff you've seen so far?

vintner

Veteran
Thanks for the kind words Mjcuresall :rasta: When I was learning how to use it last winter, I used it as often as the skies were pretty clear, and I took it out a lot durring the warmer months. The wiggly tripod together w/the colder weather don't make for good viewing, so I haven't used it much since this past fall. I've mostly just been taking the binoculars out. This is a pretty small scope. The primary mirror is only 4.7". Watched Saturn all last winter/spring. Jupiter was fun to watch last summer. On a really clear night, I could just make out the red spot. Had more fun watching its moons though. The Andromeda Galaxy is fun and easy to find, though I don't get much detail through a scope this small. The Orion Nebula is amazing, & I can't wait to see it through a much bigger scope :rasta: Found a good dozen or so star clusters and several faint nebula. Not really into double/binary stars. Have mostly just been enjoying learning my way around the night skies.
Stay safe all & :smoweed:
edit: Cellardweller: You snuck in there on me. Thanks for the kind words. Sounds like you're confusing me w/MJcuresall ^^^ LOL JK Brothas

1ManGrow

Great work there...I love astronomy and will get another scope soon...I kinda live in the city so I would have to drive 30 minutes out or just go to the beach....

There is nothing like smoking out and gazing at stars...

K+

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
its a peeping tom!

i keep thinking of that story where the guy is stuck in his room and he sees this neighbor "kill his wife" then has to go thru all that shit to try and save her or whatever. it was a simpsons episode, but ive seen it elsewhere.

W

WeldFlash420

Whats shakin, Vinny? One of these days I'm gonna have to get over to check that thing out, get blazed and watch the skies. Right on bro, hit me off then...

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
"Hey man, do you want to come over and watch the stars tonight? They should be really trippy... especially, on WEEEEEED!"

vintner

Veteran
Thanks for all the K+ guys. 1ManGrow: I live in the city too. I don't let that deter me. Makes me appreciate the times when I get a chance to throw the scope in the truck and head for the hills!
Endo: I have no idea what you're talking about LOL. I don't watch much TV. Thanks for the link. There's lots of great astronomy info on line. Check out comet Lulin. It should be visible w/standard binoculars any time over the next week or 2.
WeldFlash420: Any time Bro. It's a bit chilly this time of the year, but still lots of cool things to see. :rasta:
funkervogt: Thanks for stopin by. I love to set up the scope and :smoweed: Makes me feel connected, but also reminds me how small and insignificant I am.

mjcuresall

Wow vintner, you've seen some truly amazing sights! (I was gonna say 'stellar' but thought it would be too corny. :D) Seriously though, I'd like to introduce this hobby to my kids one day.

Hey 'dweller, I swear it wasn't me, man... :rasta: Hope all's good your way.

C

cellardweller

lmao!
I woulda said stellar had I thought of it first..but then again, thats why I'm c-dubs and you're not! :muahaha::laughing::muahaha:
everythings goin just fine btw..thanks for the thoughts..

vintner

Veteran
Today I started work on my next telescope. It will be a 10" Dobs Newtonian.
Here's a pic of what's left of a 4'X8'X23/32" piece of ply wood. Some of the circles still need a bit of work w/a rasp, but assembly should start soon :rasta:
picture.php

vintner

Veteran
Thanks for the inquiry maxibiogreen :rasta: Except for a lot of sanding, calking, priming, more sanding & a final coat of primer, not much else has been accomplished on the 10" Dobs for multiple reasons. I've had some financial set backs over the past couple of years. It's gonna take a solid grand up front for the mirrors, focuser & a few better quality eye pieces. If I can get the wife back to work by winter :whip: I might try to put in some OT & get myslef a Xmas present.
We've been wanting to move out of town for several years now, but the housing market around here has been in the toilet :fsu: I have very little room in our current house to work on such a large project :dueling: Also, the "light polution" where we live is so bad I rarely take out the scope I've got now.

D

DU420

its a peeping tom!

i keep thinking of that story where the guy is stuck in his room and he sees this neighbor "kill his wife" then has to go thru all that shit to try and save her or whatever. it was a simpsons episode, but ive seen it elsewhere.

It was called disturbia, with Shia lebouf and it was very forgetable so no suprise you dont remember were you saw it..

Latest posts

Latest posts