What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My OBBT Bucket Build

Hey rrog!

Liking your handy work there, looking nice my friend. Hang in there with the seedlings, I killed so many years back figuring out how to get em going into hydro systems. If need be I bet you could even rockwool/rapid rooter starter cube them and go right into the tubs. They are pushing up so much water/air (especially in yours) that they will stay moist enough if you need humidity cut some holes in a clear cup and let it breath as they stay moist. Your moist air flow should just pass through really nice.

Your on it man, I really like seeing you come at this.

I haven't given up yet on my thing with putting em in trays either. I just need to add another light. It's already being discussed. Thanks to RipVan's awesome pics I have some proof to go with the rest of the awesome benefits. Just you wait and I see, I'm gonna do it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll toss my two bits in on multilayering. I would say, in my opinion solely, that there really is not much to gain I would imagine, while it might be a whole lot more work.

Ahhhemmm: the golden rule of growing- Keep It Simple Stupid

In soil there are many layers- but look at the ones the roots really thrive in and your work is done. Yes there is sand and all kinds rock layers, clay, yatta yatta.- but no roots abound. That stuff creates the environment to support healthy soil (and support trees), and that is where you will find the majority of the roots- not that deep really mostly in the top soil, with some going down to reach water if needed.

When planted outdoors in the ground they go as deep as they can get oxygen to the roots still, and they drop some deeper if they need to grab water. They tend to spread out too rootwise. They will fill any loose mix in a container as far down as they are able to breath. Thats why they love the edges of containers, the oxygen in a moist environment created there. But if in a dense mix they stay more surface and only coat the sides of the container. Remember what makes the OBBT so magical? OXYGEN. That's the key. It really is that simple.

All we need to do is create the idea zone that roots live in and thats it. Recreate or improve that and your golden. I realize "improve" is a very open discussion.

rrog

Veteran
Hi C024! Thanks for the encouraging words. I realize I should go easier on myself. It's mostly the ticking clock that drives me. I have all this really old bud that tastes worse everyday. I just stored it all under vacuum. That should slow the deterioration.

Based on what I've seen and have been told, having a small seedling bed, or receiving area in the big bucket should be fine. I'd prefer to insert the seedling straight into the bucket. Maybe I'm being pig-headed, but I love the idea of the little seedling roots being immediately attended to by the fungus and bacteria.

In the end I have seeds and time. So I'm not getting too worked up. Frankly, I only need one of the three plants to survive as female. My needs are small with respect to harvest volume, although it would really be cool to have two varieties at harvest.

Right now if I plant seedlings before Halloween I'd maybe be harvesting at the end of January. I should have started this over the summer but couldn't.

rrog

Veteran
Well I closed off 1 of the 2 airstones per bucket. So maybe 50% of the air as before. Tough to tell, but less. Still shitloads and maybe I'll up the pressure later for a test.

I also inserted small landing areas for the next run of seedlings. Finer composted soil with small perlite. Good root/medium contact that way, and the little patches will be in the bucket for a couple weeks before seedlings go in. So hopefully some microbes will greet the new roots.

I scooped out some of the medium which is EXCEPTIONALLY fluffy. Springy like a cake. Following that analogy, the removed medium looked like black chocolate cake. I'm sure everyone is yawning, but that's quite a transformation for 2.5 weeks of percolating. I thought.

Mmmmm, myco-cake. Ya know, when we start talking about mediums, and I get the visual of taking a bit old bite out of it; I know I have officially "crossed the line".

Now we all know what plant dorks we are. I mean really, we are nerds in certain sense geeking out. Just happens to be we are geeking on a really cool plant!

Great innovation to make a landing pad for them Rrog; I sure it will be spectacular. Keep an eye on how saturated it stays, too wet and you will face unhappy seedlings. Soil can do that all too easy, even when well perlited.

As a side note for education: I am willing to bet a Rapid Rooter cube placed in there early would do the same thing. They already have fungus in them too (hence the "rapid rooting"; 100% organic. They hold up well to constant waterings, etc- so if your landing pads should give you any problem consider the rapid rooters.

h.h.

Veteran
Perhaps a bit of different mix following the recipe, but not as hot. No blood meal.
I use a styrofoam coffee cup. Bottom torn out and a coffee filter inserted, then filled with mix inserted into A 32 oz. yogurt container with a circular hole cut in the top using a roll of painter's tape as a templet. Airhose through the lid and add water.

rrog

Veteran
:laughing: Myco-cake. A good laugh C024! Thanks for that. Of course you're right. I'm certainly a geek. And other than this Cannabis adventure I am not a gardener. But I am totally immersed and there's no going back.

The entire top layer of medium is mildly moist. Different types of plugs would certainly work, I'm sure. Great point about the Rapid Rooters. Wasn't aware they were bio-active.

The way I look at it, I've just inserted a similar bio-active plug. We'll see.

H2, I think with the buckets cooking for 4 weeks before seedlings will cool off the mix a lot. I've already backed off the "Extra Crispy" recipe that LadyL originally presented. Again, we'll see.

H2, what is this device you are describing? A mini OBBT rooter?

h.h.

Veteran
H2, what is this device you are describing? A mini OBBT rooter?
That was my first thought. I tried using the yogurt containers full of medium. The sediment turned rancid and killed my cuttings. Vermiculite might have helped as the Lady said. I think using the cup with the filter covered bottom will stop the sediment. The cups and filter I've used often with a water bath for seed. The rest is experimental. I'll have to get a new mother before trying any more clones this way. I did get a bunch of new beans donated however.
(Blueberry x William's) Blue Willy x Sundog (Some good shit this guy named Sundog had a few years back.) I guess it would be Blue Willy's dog I'll be getting bit by next harvest. I think with cuttings I would poke them slightly through the filter.
There is a thread on here about bubble cloning I may have read before that probably sparked the idea along with the OBBT threads.

rrog

Veteran
Some pics would be cool if you have the ability.

So this is for rooting clones? That the plan?

h.h.

Veteran
I do have a dvr perhaps I can post with. Not much to see at this point. No bragging pictures. Only a yogurt/cottage cheese container with a styro cup, full of soil, fit firmly in a hole in the lid, an airhose in a hole beside it. A circle is cut out of the bottom of the cup. The coffee filter fits in the cup covering the bottom and most of the way up the sides. I transplant filter and all. It's usually already half gone at this point anyway.
Rooting clones, seedlings...You tell me. The cups and filter I've used. I've started lots of seed with them. I've yet to do a clone unless you count trees. They sort of air prune the roots as well as being cheap. Not too much money left after the mortgage and I'm low budget. I even recycle the filters from my coffee.

h.h.

Veteran
I found the small airstones limiting, the same with using drip tubing for air. Some slits in tubing "t"ed off at the bottom of the airhose.
I have the bubbles hitting the bottom of the cup, but the water level is undecided. I may add some crushed lava to the cups and raise it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated..

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Sorry to hear about the delays rrog. It's been a very interesting read though, and I even got a new idea for my plumbing. I'm sure your meticulous nature will pay off.

Your pump seems to be stronger than my new one! I can barely imagine how strong those bubbles were, crikey. I have a pretty decent regular style aquarium pump so I think I'll use that for the obbts. Anyway, great thread, carry on.

rrog

Veteran
No worries and thanks for your thoughts. I'm learning a great deal, so I'm excited.

Just poured a dilute solution of LactoB and molasses on the three pails. Seeds started after Ethylene for 2 weeks.

We'll see what happens

rrog

Veteran
Well, I took Citizen024's advice and picked up some starter pellets. Took 2 day old seedlings and put them in the organic pellets. Popped them back in the incubator at 85F.

These seeds were Ethylene treated for two weeks. Not going to do these things again. I'd rather have actual females, not feminized males.

My longer goal will be to re-veg one or two mothers and keep them. Then take clones. My weed need is low, and I only see myself growing once every 9 months, so the mothers are a bit of a burden. But I don't have access to clones, and haven't figured out a way to grow seeds to sexual maturity in the OBBT.

Maybe if you could start 2 seedlings per bucket and hope that 1 of the two is female. Dunno.

Anyway, here is what I have going:
IMG_1023.jpg

Small tote with heating pad inside maintaining 85F

IMG_1024.jpg

Small tupperwear container inside with a temp probe. Maintains temp and humidity.

IMG_1025.jpg

1 NL#5 and 2 Purple Diesels

I'll wait for some root growth and them plop them in the buckets. I'll get them under lights as soon as I see green.

rrog

Veteran
This was this AM (Saturday).. These things started a super stretch right out of the seed case. This crazy elongation continued in the soil pellet overnight.

IMG_1027.jpg

Put them in the Organigizmo right up to their leaves:

IMG_1028.jpg

Fluoros are now 3" above. I have a germinating seed on standby if that really tall lanky one craps on me.

These seeds were Ethylene treated with Apples & Bananas for 2 weeks, in 80F humid conditions. I suspect that's what I'm seeing? I'll have to read up on that. I only have been focusing on Ethylene in feminization.

420passion

some quick questions for you if you don't mind rrog. i have the same exact buckets and uniseals. do i use a 1 1/4" hole saw? do you sand the area of the cut smooth? do you use the purple pvc glue on the inside of the hole and outside of the seal to prevent any leakage? I am not a handy man lol. the first few holes i drilled are horrible. i was hoping that a little sanding and glue would clean it up a bit. thanks for this thread i couldnt have come this far without it.

McDanger

some quick questions for you if you don't mind rrog. i have the same exact buckets and uniseals. do i use a 1 1/4" hole saw? do you sand the area of the cut smooth? do you use the purple pvc glue on the inside of the hole and outside of the seal to prevent any leakage? I am not a handy man lol. the first few holes i drilled are horrible. i was hoping that a little sanding and glue would clean it up a bit. thanks for this thread i couldnt have come this far without it.

Yes, 1 1/4" hole saw then you can remove the burr on the inside with a knife. No need for the glue, they should seal by themselves.
I had one that I put too close to the bottom of the bucket that did not seal correctly so I put silicone caulk on the inside of the flange on the uniseal. The glue will not work on the uniseals because they are not made of pvc, they are rubber.

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Yep. 1 1/4" Holesaw. I did a few practice runs on a scrap bucket. For be, I found that going slow and easy just allowed the rig to wiggle at the point of cutting, giving a less than smooth hole. I found that pushing hard once the drill starts made a faster and cleaner cut

I used a 220 grit sandpaper to carefully remove flash from the hole. Careful here since it's easy to sand too much, even with such fine sandpaper.

Use the Windex as a lube, as Uniseals recommends. No glues

BTW the Purple Primer material you mentioned is only to prepare PVC fittings for gluing. That's the purple crap you see on my fittings...sloppy work.

Latest posts

Latest posts