What's new

My new cab - Female seed NL

Green Smoke

Hey, welcome aboard, Green Smoke.

The lid is made from scrap sheet metal from my hood fabrication. I made the "netpot risers" by sawing a 5" PVC pipe coupler in half with a radial arm saw - so 1 coupler made both risers. I cut the holes in the lid using a sabre saw w/ a fine-toothed hacksaw blade, and used epoxy (the waterproof stuff that comes in a stick), then caulk to attach the coupler halves to the lid.

The access hatch in the front consists of a small piece of 2" PVC pipe, and I friction-fit a 2" cap on it for light proofing and to keep the water from spitting-out. (I have 4 water-wall bubblers epoxy-ed in the bottom of the rez - lotza-bubbles!)

I put some 3/4" wide weatherstripping on the inside perimeter of the lid, for a tight seal over the rez, also.

I epoxy-ed 4 hose barbs into the top, so that I could disconnect the top from the air easily, and last-but-not-least, I nylon-bolted/caulked those 4 3/4" PVC caps to the top of the lid to hold my SCRoG screen.

All-in-all, it works really quite well!!

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=2090&pictureid=23380

Wow, great detail, thanks brother. I'll be watching.
:lurk:

I2KanGrow

Hi-All:

I've had quite a bit of growth the past few days, let me show you:

This was taken on the 17th - 6 days ago.

- and these were taken a few minutes ago.
I'm feeling pretty happy with this growth spurt, for sure!

Questions: Do you think I'm ready to flip them into flower? My thoughts are to give them another week, to really fill the screen out.

How do you flip your grow? I'm thinking that I'll first swap the lamp out to HPS & 18/4 for a few days, then bring the lighting down to 12/12 in 1-Hr./day increments. Once I'm @ 12/12 with the HPS, I'll start phasing-in the bloom nutes. Does this sound reasonable?

These girls are drinking about 2/3-gal of water a day! pH remains constant 5.5 - 5.75, is the quantity of water my girls are consuming mean that I need to up the nutes a bit?

Again - thanks in advance for your opinions & advice - you guys'll get me thru my first hydro grow for sure!!

G

guest 77721

Looking good. You're pretty close to flipping to 12/12. I'd say the stretch would fill the screen nicely.

Are you happy with the Hydro so far?

C

Cozy Amnesia

Looking really nice, I especially like your hood. Did you build that yourself?

I2KanGrow

Thanks for dropping-by, Cosy - my hood is indeed homemade - HERE'S a link to how it's made.

Hey Red - Glad to see you're little-ones are back on track - where did you find Shishkaberry, have you had them for a while (Emory Seedbank)? I'm thinking about my next beans being Paradise seeds Wappa, the ad copy reads great, but can't find too much about it from the people that matter, like us!

As far as the hydro experience, all is going quite well so far, I do have a few of these:

(ehh, sorry for the crap for picture!)

- funny-looking fan leaves on 2-3 sites, but they may be from FIM, but I'm not sure. I'm IMPRESSED with the size/speed of the growth! It's actually been easier to keep pH & nutes in line with this set-up, also.

I need to be away for a week in April, so I'm hoping to time this grow, so that I'll be flushing during the week that I'm gone (I have a feeling I'm being way-too optimistic there, tho - 2nd week in April is coming-up!). I plan on building a reserve for my reserve (Rubbermaid, of course), which will involve a mini water pump, black tubing, a float switch and a relay - I'm in the planning stage now, but I'll post my progress on that.

G

guest 77721

Yeah my little ones are doing fine. All my seeds are getting old. Last winter I bought the Thai Lights and LUI locallly and had a hard time starting them because the seeds were puny. My Shiskaberry and Dutch Treat are self made from hermis. I just tossed them in as backup incase the other ones floundered. I still have a few Cash Crop Kenny's ShiskaberryxDutch Treat from Emery that I'm saving. Spent a whole $30 and grew close to a lb over the last couple of years.

I'm hoping for a male. I've only got one so far. This time I'm gonna save the pollen and dab a bit on the girls and get some seeds.

This run I'm going into 12/12 as soon as the plants look good and grow me some lollipops. I think I'll reveg the nicest ones and do a scrog.

I think feminized seeds are a scam. All they are is seeds from hermi's and they take the opportunity away from the little guy to get some pollen and make his own seeds. Do you have to go out of country for seeds or can you buy at a head shop in the seedy part of town? nyuk nyuk

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/node/394

I2KanGrow

Interesting read - Red... I see their (and your) point, thanks for sharing. There's 2 main reasons for why I did the feminized seed thing:
- I'm brand-new to this (I've only purchased 1 time), and I felt that identifying/culling males would be more then I could handle.
and
- I have to keep my hobby absolutely to myself - I have teens & a wife that I can't let know what I'm up to. So, gotta keep it small, and I figured fem seeds would make a sure thing.

I think that I probably now could run both my cab & my R2D2 when the weather gets warmer, you may recall it took forever for me to finish my 1st. grow, because the room I was growing in was cold? I'd like to get a mom of a sweet variety - perhaps blueberry would be nice. Perhaps I'll get some regular seeds, make a mom and pollinate another, just to keep me in seeds.

Yeah, I live in a tiny town (which in my opinion is ALL seedy:jerkit: ), there's 1 head shop, and the local LEO's keep a keen eye on the place, I won't even go in there. I live a day-trip away from Montreal Que. & Cornwall Ont. - both of which are fairly pot-friendly, however. May-be worth a trip to see what I could find. It's that or via mail, which has it's own risks, you know?

Hey - I swapped-out my MH lamp/ballast for HPS this morning, and started to dilute my grow ferts with bloom ferts. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but the 1 day w/ HPS lighting seems to have had an enormous effect on growth, it almost scared me when I opened the cab this evening - amazing!! I don't know if it's beneficial, but I'm knocking 1 hr./day off the light cycle till I'm @ 12/12, then I'll swap-out my water to total bloom ferts.

I'll post pics tomorrow - keep 'em growing!!

G

guest 77721

My town has one shop too. I've only visited it twice and have been real careful. On a day off I drive to the mall and park at a far end then I walk through the mall and and walk a few blocks to the shop. I figure the distance and time that they'd have to follow me to get my licence plate# isn't worth it.

I2KanGrow

"Flower", Day 2

"Flower", Day 2

OK - I'm boosting ppms, and I've swapped to HPS lighting, I'm backing-down 1 hr/day towards 12/12 (I'm @ 16/8 today) - Here's what they look like:

Lotsa growth - compare to 2 days ago, see the images above!!!

QUESTION: anyone have thoughts on gradual light change to 12/12 & gradual nute change from grow to bloom ferts???

j.guit.err

Lookin good bro, I can't help you with the questions, I normally just flip to 12/12 and change nutes, no gradual change. Some more experienced people might have different answers tho.

Green Smoke

I believe that most people switch to 12/12 all at once, and stick with the grow nutes for a couple of weeks before changing to the bloom. I'm not sure why, I just remember somebody saying it in their grow diary.

G

guest 77721

Looking good! I'm having lot's of problems with my grow. Reminds me of your first grow. I think it's low temps down in the basement that are killing my seedlings.

I think the gradual transition to 12/12 might keep some stretching down but you want some of that to fill the screen.

OK - I'm boosting ppms, and I've swapped to HPS lighting, I'm backing-down 1 hr/day towards 12/12 (I'm @ 16/8 today) - Here's what they look like:

Lotsa growth - compare to 2 days ago, see the images above!!!

QUESTION: anyone have thoughts on gradual light change to 12/12 & gradual nute change from grow to bloom ferts???

I2KanGrow

Hey Green Smoke - Yeah, I've been reading the majority of folks just flip to 12/12, I wanted to have as little stress on my girls as possible, get them to acclimate, ya know?

I've been boosting the nutes slowly, up about 300 ppms from a week ago, I'm adding my strong bloom mix into my relatively weak grow mix, I'll swap-out my rez in a week or 10 days, to full bloom nutes.

Red - sorry to hear of your woes, that sucks!! The only way for me to get any growth w/ my cuttings was to place one of those heat mats under everything, do you have one of those? It might help.

RE: filling-out my screen, this I don't think will be a problem, here's what I have as of a few moments ago:

My screen is pretty-much filled-up. FYI, my screen is 24"w X 18"d, almost twice the area of my R2 unit. I put my cooltube back on (I had an aggressive leaf hit the lamp and scald itself), and my temps are down to around 66F when lit, I'm surprised I have any growth at all! My Mom is in a fairly constant 59-61F, which has worked-out quite well, very slow growth, very little maintenance. I dump a cup of water in the pot every 5-6 days, and giver her a spin 1X a day - that's it!

G

guest 77721

Wow your temps are low. I started off with MG soil with nutes and maybe that's the problem too. I don't know. I moved my growbox upstairs to see if that will help. I think I'm going to be getting some seedling mix and starting over again.

I2KanGrow

Wow your temps are low. I started off with MG soil with nutes and maybe that's the problem too. I don't know. I moved my growbox upstairs to see if that will help. I think I'm going to be getting some seedling mix and starting over again.

I have a min/max temperature for the past 24 hours on my thermometer, lowest = 66.9F, highest = 67.1F - hows that for consistency? I think I'm going to slow the cooltube fan down a bit, just to get a little warmer in there during the "day".

I'm surprised that you don't do the old 50% promix/25% vermiculite/25% perlite seedling formula, that's treated you so well in the past!

Did your seedlings go crispy on you, or just not do anything at all?

G

guest 77721

This grow is a mess. I started with Miracle Grow soil mixed 50/50 with Perlite. No Promix since fall in any hardware stores and the nursery's are closed till spring.

The seedlings sprouted then just looked stressed. I thought they were getting too much light and wind and they were started in peat cups which dried out real quick. I had some peat moss and mixed it up with perlite and vermiculite and repotted the seedlings from peat cups into plastic cups and backed the light off. They seemed to respond and grew the 3 point leaves and then just started going crispy.

I picked up some Miracle Grow seeding starter (can't get away from this shit) with Perlite and start some more seeds.

I2KanGrow

...And now for something completely different -

...And now for something completely different -

Does anyone else think this is farging-funny??

Dude, take a good look @ that cow!

G

guest 77721

I gave 'em a bit of a flush. Down to 6/8 now with 4 seed's in damp paper towel.
I think the problem with the MG soil is that it's full of fertilizer beads and so it doesn't flush out.

So what's that cow been smokin' to get them red eyes???