What's new

My micro vertical cab - 3 chambers of goodness

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Just a note: I'm now discovering that this is clearly the ideal ("locked in") approach to micro vertical. Basically it involves pushing the branches as far out as possible within the pot to maximize radius, and to keep the light height/plant height in an ideal balance. It allows for maximum light coverage across all plants.

If we look at one of many light distance charts, we'll see the optimal distance from bulb for a 250W HPS is approximately 9 inches from the bulb. In my cab, the outer walls are approximately 7-10 inches from the bulb at any time (including the corners), so I'm wasting output no matter you cut it.

The further back I can keep these plants the better. As I mentioned, 4 big plants seems to be ideal over several smaller plants. Hopefully when I incorporate long-flowering sativa's into this cab the theory will hold.

1094419-HPS%20Graph%20PAR.gif

psyke

Hi Funkervogt,

nice Setup. But how do you solve the problem with the Carbon Filter? I see, your Cooltube is open at the bottom. So where does the filter come into the game? And how is it connected?

My second question: What do you think is the influence of air from the bottom on the root system? Roots need air to grow (beyond water and nutrition...). Do you think air from the bottom and holes in the containers influence the production in a great manner?

Thx,

psyke

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Hi Funkervogt,

nice Setup. But how do you solve the problem with the Carbon Filter? I see, your Cooltube is open at the bottom. So where does the filter come into the game? And how is it connected?

My second question: What do you think is the influence of air from the bottom on the root system? Roots need air to grow (beyond water and nutrition...). Do you think air from the bottom and holes in the containers influence the production in a great manner?

Thx,

psyke

Two very good questions.

1. My carbon scrubber sits on top of the cab, and the air is pushed through it. I understand this is less efficient than pulling, but it saves space in the cab. The scrubber, connecting wires, timers and ballast are on top of the cab. I've obscured them with a false cardboard box which I cut to easily remove.

2. I've wondered this myself. Plant roots feed via osmosis, so at the very least it's making more water available to them. I think it also dries out the soil much more quickly.

In the future, I'll have an individual exhaust fan for the cooltube (intake from room air) and then another for the room itself, and the lower fan will go away. This means more air coming through the floor toward the bottom of the bags, and less toward the cooltube.

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
So, I moved houses. When this happened I tried to move the cab out of the room housing it. It didn't work. And in an attempt to piece it appart it basically went to shit.

So I had to harvest the plants, admittedly a bit early by about a week :( In total I got about 5 dried ounces of Sensi Star and Early Queen, with SS easily outweighing and outsmoking the EQ.

My next project will be vertical, in a Homebox L, with stacked 400 and 250W lamps. Not sure if I should do these bare or in a cooltube, but I'll be following B. Self Reliant's approach in his AK-47 grow.

Once this happens I'll start a new thread. I honestly think it's time anyway as I want to upgrade to bigger plants, more space, and strains that require more light.

Much love to yah all!