What's new

MY LITTLE SOG GOES 1000W

L

luvaduck

recipes

recipes

G'day shroomy, considering the plants originally came from HC Indica feminised stock knid of goes to show that the feminisation process does not affect the plants at all.

Pretty wet up here at the moment and cooling down, so I'll be up before sunrise with the 30.06 in the high country. Got some different ammo to try out. The deer might be a bit more active with the cool wet weather. I want venison...just a little one will do.

HC - just wondering what you do with the venison you kill.... do you have any good recipes is probably a better question.
My bro lives down that way and only makes mince out of his, but I'm sure there's other things you can do with them.
Congratulations with the success of your CS experiment - proven results wouldn't you say?
Am looking forward to seeing how your crosses turn out. Have you noticed any hybrid vigour?
All the best, hope the snakes have gone into hybernation for you....:tiphat:

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
ENOUGH OF THIS MADNESS...LET'S GO SAMBAR DEER HUNTING

ENOUGH OF THIS MADNESS...LET'S GO SAMBAR DEER HUNTING

Up at 4.30 am and off to the high country. Unfortunately when I got there you couldn't see 50' in front of you cos of thick cloud,,,now what,,,I know...back to the low country.

DOWN A BIT LOWER...PRIME SAMBAR DEER COUNTRY

picture.php

LET'S GET READY...RIFLE, BACKPACK, CAMO GEAR, BLAZE ORANGE HAT, MAP AND BINOS

picture.php

The tape on the end of the barrel stops mud or other stuff getting in it. This could lead to a blockage and blow up the barrel in my face...not good. When fired the tape is blown off by gas pressure before the bullet even hits it. You need camo or the deer will see you easily.

However they cannot see the blaze orange cap, they are blind to that colour. It is used in case someone else is in the area with a rifle so they don't mistake me for a deer...it's happened before.

I also carry a compass, GPS and an emergency satellite beacon (EPIRB) if it all goes to shit. The mobile phone doesn't work out here.

So off we go. By myself...I prefer it that way.

FIRST GOOD SIGN, A SAMBAR DEER TRACK AND A ROO TRACK

picture.php

So I follow these tracks for a bit and come to this....

A SAMBAR DEER WALLOW...THEY LOVE PLAYING IN THE MUD...TRACKS ALL OVER THE PLACE

picture.php

NEARBY WAS A RUB TREE...THE STAGS TAKE THE BARK OFF WITH THEIR ANTLERS

picture.php

THIS IS A WELL USED GAME TRAIL THAT LEADS TO THE WALLOW...NOW IF I COULD JUST FIND A STUPID DEER

picture.php

Looks like they've bedded down for the day already...got to try and find where they're sleeping. It would make it an easier shot. So let's have a look for some shade where they might be lying.

THESE TREE FERN STANDS ARE A GOOD SPOT FOR THEM TO HAVE A REST...MUST KEEP QUIET

picture.php

So after walking around the shady areas for a few hours and constantly using the binos I couldn't find any. I know they're around somewhere...the signs were good.

But today was not my day and the score is
Sambar deer 1
High Country 0

Never mind...it was good to have a stroll through the bush.

The rifle is locked up so it's time for a cold beer.

Cheers...that was my day.

Last edited:

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Thanx for sharing mate :) Id kill to have land like that as my play ground... truely beautiful.. better luck next time ;)

High Country

Veteran
HC - just wondering what you do with the venison you kill.... do you have any good recipes is probably a better question.
My bro lives down that way and only makes mince out of his, but I'm sure there's other things you can do with them.
Congratulations with the success of your CS experiment - proven results wouldn't you say?
Am looking forward to seeing how your crosses turn out. Have you noticed any hybrid vigour?
All the best, hope the snakes have gone into hybernation for you....:tiphat:

The back straps beside the spine make excellent steaks as does the fillet which are attached to the spine inside the rib cage. The hind legs and fore legs are great foir roasting. Beautiful lean meat. as for snakes...I wear snake proof gaitors.

Cheers.

Thanx for sharing mate :) Id kill to have land like that as my play ground... truely beautiful.. better luck next time ;)

That's alright I've got plenty in the past. They are more active in cooler weather...not long now. That's why I was trying to get to the cooler air of the high country. Cheers.

High Country

Veteran
RE- EXAMINE THE EVIDENCE

RE- EXAMINE THE EVIDENCE

FIRST GOOD SIGN, A SAMBAR DEER TRACK AND A ROO TRACK

picture.php

I've got a funny feeling the bottom track is actually from a wild dog...the toe nails do not look right.

The top one is definitely a Sambar deer.

Just thinking.

High Country

Veteran
NO PICS...NOTHING TO SHOW EXCEPT BORING PREGNANT CANNABIS PLANTS

NO PICS...NOTHING TO SHOW EXCEPT BORING PREGNANT CANNABIS PLANTS

So they were pollinated 4 weeks ago and definitley have seed which is now firm but still green.

2 weeks I reckon...the pistils will turn amber and the calyx will split...the seeds will be dark.

OK, BACK TO HUNTING

I'm now thinking wild dogs may have been following those Sambar deer for a reason. There is a stag in the group and hinds have given birth to little does. Sambar can breed at any time of the year unlike other deer.

The dogs have scented the does and are following the herd. Waiting for an opportunity...to get the young ones. That's all they can get...the stags can weigh up to 400 kg and can be very aggressive. The dogs will not take on a big stag or a defending mother.

So I guess it's a bit like the dog chasing it's tail so to speak.

PREY- PREDATOR-AND ONE WITH A RIFLE AFTER BOTH OF THEM.

I forgot about the wild dog issues...got me thinking again.

One bloke up here some years ago got attacked by 3 wild dogs while deer hunting. Somehow he managed to shoot all 3 of them on the run towards him with a bolt action rifle. Good shot

I think I would have been up the nearest tree.

drum_halfzware

High Country,

I greatly respect your horticultural technique, documentation methods, and your hunting for meat. Keep up the passion and enthusiasm. I am not personally familiar with Sambar as a food source, but appreciate the value of venison. I wish you safety and success both hunting and with the practice of horticulture.

Where I was trained in harvesting wild animals, given adequate supply of females to ensure continuation of the species, females are preferred for food as they generally have more tender meat and a more enjoyable taste. Is this the case with Sambar as well?

Good idea to climb the tree if confronted with wild dogs and unable to kill from a safe distance. I prefer killing within an arm's length and most importantly with direct eye contact. However this is not always a viable option as self preservation is always the most important instinct.

Happy Trails

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
So they were pollinated 4 weeks ago and definitley have seed which is now firm but still green.

2 weeks I reckon...the pistils will turn amber and the calyx will split...the seeds will be dark.

OK, BACK TO HUNTING

I'm now thinking wild dogs may have been following those Sambar deer for a reason. There is a stag in the group and hinds have given birth to little does. Sambar can breed at any time of the year unlike other deer.

The dogs have scented the does and are following the herd. Waiting for an opportunity...to get the young ones. That's all they can get...the stags can weigh up to 400 kg and can be very aggressive. The dogs will not take on a big stag or a defending mother.

So I guess it's a bit like the dog chasing it's tail so to speak.

PREY- PREDATOR-AND ONE WITH A RIFLE AFTER BOTH OF THEM.

I forgot about the wild dog issues...got me thinking again.

One bloke up here some years ago got attacked by 3 wild dogs while deer hunting. Somehow he managed to shoot all 3 of them on the run towards him with a bolt action rifle. Good shot

I think I would have been up the nearest tree.

must be the best shot in the world... 3 dogs running at you using a bolt action... is something that kinda seems a little unlikely... tell me he was using a semi automatic riflie id say its justable..

in not an expert at either the bolt and semi auto rifles but i have seem people shoot that are considered the best in there field... and I dont evens see then dropping 3 dogs with a bold action b4 atleast 1 of them got to you.. i suppose distance is a factor... but then again they run 3 times faster than humans... so after each dog was dropped the next one would be 3x closer... I am just having a ramble mate... no offence intended

High Country

Veteran
must be the best shot in the world... 3 dogs running at you using a bolt action... is something that kinda seems a little unlikely... tell me he was using a semi automatic riflie id say its justable..

in not an expert at either the bolt and semi auto rifles but i have seem people shoot that are considered the best in there field... and I dont evens see then dropping 3 dogs with a bold action b4 atleast 1 of them got to you.. i suppose distance is a factor... but then again they run 3 times faster than humans... so after each dog was dropped the next one would be 3x closer... I am just having a ramble mate... no offence intended

G'day shroomy, a bolt action can be cycled through to the next round in less than a second, aimed and fired. You just have to stay frosty and hold your nerve. The recoil of a high calibre doesn't come into it. You don't even feel it If you are familiar with your rifle it is relatively easy. The dogs might run quicker than a human but they don't do 3400' per/sec like the bullets typically used up here.

High Country

Veteran
5 WEEKS INTO SEED PRODUCTION

5 WEEKS INTO SEED PRODUCTION

Some seeds are now breaking through the calyx but many more are still tucked away inside.

THIS ONE FELL OUT

picture.php

Starting to brown up...this one is hard and probably viable.

But I will not harvest the rest of the seeds for about another week.

High Country

Veteran
High Country,

I greatly respect your horticultural technique, documentation methods, and your hunting for meat. Keep up the passion and enthusiasm. I am not personally familiar with Sambar as a food source, but appreciate the value of venison. I wish you safety and success both hunting and with the practice of horticulture.

Where I was trained in harvesting wild animals, given adequate supply of females to ensure continuation of the species, females are preferred for food as they generally have more tender meat and a more enjoyable taste. Is this the case with Sambar as well?

Good idea to climb the tree if confronted with wild dogs and unable to kill from a safe distance. I prefer killing within an arm's length and most importantly with direct eye contact. However this is not always a viable option as self preservation is always the most important instinct.

Happy Trails

G'day...Sambar deer originally came from SE Asia and introduced into Victoria where they flourish. Estimated numbers now 250,000 +. They are big...400 kg...3 rd biggest deer in the world behind elks and moose.

Yep...I generally only kill young hinds for food. I'm kind of over the days of hanging a trophy stag (buck) head on the wall. I've got one big one ...that's enough...they are always looking at you.

These animals are feral in this country and don't belong here so I have no issues with hunting them...the venison is nice too.

The horticulture continues.

Last edited:

drum_halfzware

HC,

Being that Sambar are feral in your area, I hope you need to obtain an additional freezer to store all the meat you harvest. Have you tried snaring to harvest Sambar?

As you stated in your post, the seed pictured appears viable. As it fell out of the calyx it is most likely ready given time to dehydrate and some time and/or decreased temperature to increase the germination rate of the population from which it comes.

During my last seed run, in which I accomplished three specific aims in addition to some other aims which weren't specific but I couldn't resist, I noted the same phenomenon of seeds beginning to split the calyx near ~5 weeks post-pollination. I waited until 8 weeks post-pollination to harvest to err on the side of caution. However, I know this isn't your first rodeo, so to speak.

Good day.

Last edited:

High Country

Veteran
HC,

Being that Sambar are feral in your area, I hope you need to obtain an additional freezer to store all the meat you harvest. Have you tried snaring to harvest Sambar?

As you stated in your post, the seed pictured appears viable. As it fell out of the calyx it is most likely ready given time to dehydrate and some time and/or decreased temperature to increase the germination rate of the population from which it comes.

During my last seed run, in which I accomplished three specific aims in addition to some other aims which weren't specific but I couldn't resist, I noted the same phenomenon of seeds beginning to split the calyx near ~5 weeks post-pollination. I waited until 8 weeks post-pollination to harvest to err on the side of caution. However, I know this isn't your first rodeo, so to speak.

Good day.

I've got a mate with a walk in cool room where I hang the carcass for 5 days or so. T then butcher it and freeze it at home...I've got big freezers.

Not to sure about snaring a Sambar deer....more humane to put a bullet in their heart/lung region. they usually only go a short distance and drop. Rarely have I had to do a follow up shot.

Yep....I might let these seeds run longer though quite a few are visible now....must be patient.

Last edited:

High Country

Veteran
SEED DEVELOPMENT CONTINUES

SEED DEVELOPMENT CONTINUES

Nearly 6 weeks since pollination and over the last few days I've gathered about 50 seeds that have fallen out.

HC INDICA X THAI

picture.php

Some still have part of the calyx surrounding them. They are hard and more than likely viable.

The rest of the plants are plump with seed.

HC INDICA X THAI CROSSED BACK ON TO ITSELF

picture.php

I'm letting them go for another week at least. There appears to be hundreds if not many more getting ready to burst.

drum_halfzware

High Country,

It's undeniable that snaring is not the most humane form of harvest meat. However, being the species in question is feral, I don't see that as a valid concern. Snaring is also much less labor intensive than stalking/hunting. You just do some tracking, place the snare, and come back with a gun (to kill scavengers and possibly the Sambar) regularly. It gets the job done with minimal work. If we really gave much a rat's tail about the edible organism, we would not eat them. Just my opinion.

High Country

Veteran
High Country,

It's undeniable that snaring is not the most humane form of harvest meat. However, being the species in question is feral, I don't see that as a valid concern. Snaring is also much less labor intensive than stalking/hunting. You just do some tracking, place the snare, and come back with a gun (to kill scavengers and possibly the Sambar) regularly. It gets the job done with minimal work. If we really gave much a rat's tail about the edible organism, we would not eat them. Just my opinion.

The deer hunting laws here for Sambar deer are pretty simple. The minimum calibre allowed is .270 WIN and 130 grain bullets. I also need a deer stalking licence. It's a feral animal...yes...but it also deserves respect. Deer stalking... is hard work...but at least I'm out in the bush and not staring at the PC screen.

They are feral but also a living animal...it's not their fault they are here. So I try to make it a quick one shot kill.

Way more humane than a snare or trap.

Last edited:

High Country

Veteran
Some times I just look and don't put a cartridge in the firearm.

Peace...Sambar deer.

picture.php