What's new

my home was raided for a high powerbill!

jd4083

Veteran
who needs proof when you have conjecture and hearsay? ;) par for the course for this forum and other like it, frankly...sad as that may be...

watson540

:)

here I found this interesting, on page 50 of the linked document.

A remarkable number of electric appliances can be identified by their load signatures, and
with impressive accuracy. Researchers have all but mastered identification of the larger common
household appliances such as water heaters, well pumps, furnace blowers, refrigerators, and air
conditioners, with recognition accuracies approaching perfection.132 Ongoing work focuses now
on the myriad smaller electric devices around the home such as personal computers,133 laser
printers, and differentiating fluorescent from energy-saving light bulbs.134 It also bears noting
here that the success of this kind of load disaggregation is not limited to electric utilities; similar
approaches have been successfully used to break down residential gas use into appliance events
as well.135

If you live in the country there is still hope I guess, since HID's are used all the time for outdoor floodlighting..Other than that, I guess it's time to buy some spiked boots and climb the street light!

also this:
A number of heuristic principles are employed in order to ease the disaggregation of
individual appliance signals from the noise of a household’s total electricity consumption by
framing a backdrop understanding of the total load. For example, the so-called “switch
continuity” principle guides appliance naming by imposing the assumption that, generally, only
one appliance switches on at a time, and that simultaneous appliance events are very rare.
Employing these procedures for data recording and analysis, a NALM is capable of
providing utilities or researchers with detailed information about the electricity consumption
habits of residents. Figure 5, below, shows a portion of individual’s energy load profile that has
been parsed by a NALM, each edge labeled with the corresponding appliance.
--so there may be a way to trick this meter after all...plenty of good minds out there in the world, they just too busy hacking the newest playstation I guess

Last edited:

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A remarkable number of electric appliances can be identified by their load signatures, and with impressive accuracy.

No shit, wow you don't say? lol

watson540

hey SOTF give it up dude, you didnt prove shit so you dont get the right to gloat..I edited my post above cause I wanted to be cordial but it seems you want to keep at me

G

grow nerd

I'm sure glad my meter is dumb as fuck, maybe qualifies for special education.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey SOTF give it up dude, you didnt prove shit so you dont get the right to gloat..I edited my post above cause I wanted to be cordial but it seems you want to keep at me

Listen I don't need to prove shit when I know what I am talking about to begin with. I am glad you found something else to read online to back-up my already accurate information! Grow on, be safe! :wave:

:tiphat:

watson540

great attitude guy

let us not forget police still need a warrant to look at your power info.

I wont delve any further with you as I'm smart enough to know how this plays out

But I will say, at least I'm MAN ENOUGH to admit that I was wrong. But only after I found my own SOURCE.

So you seem to care enough to come back and make petty child-like insults at me, but you couldnt be bothered with a 2 second google to back up your claims (and contrary to your belief..nothing anyone says to me will be presented as fact in my mind, unless they got something to back it up with..)

Anyway, I see where your priorities are, with setting the record straight, and slinging petty insults and all..flame on friend

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
let us not forget police still need a warrant to look at your power info.

:laughing: righttttt

I wont delve any further with you as I'm smart enough to know how this plays out

:moon: smart move

But I will say, at least I'm MAN ENOUGH to admit that I was wrong. But only after I found my own SOURCE.

:wave: you were wrong, I agree.

The wheels on the bus go round & round, round & round.... :blowbubbles:

My only intentions here, despite you few flamers who were clueless about this matter, has been to help others stay safe with smart meters when growing the good green herb. For future reference if I am posting about something like this I have already done my due diligence research ahead of time because I actually happen to know what the fuck I am talking about 99 times out of 100, even if I am smoking this bomb ass weed that smells like grapefruit candy! :canabis:

C

Cinderella99

watson540, dude I guess if you don't know how to use google yourself then you probably shouldn't even be on the computer man. Believe what you want, it's reality and the power companies do cooperate with law enforcement, just like your ISP and cellphone company does/will. You are not free and you have basically no privacy, there is an illusion of it but it does not really exist anymore after 9/11 and the patriot act so get it through your thick skull we are not making this shit up. You live in the matrix. Have fun kids!

SOTF...Are you telling me my sun system ballast has a smart chip in it? LOL

Seriously, dude, I know my refrig and my stove can talk to each other with this smart chip thing-- I know all about it-- I bought 'em based somewhat on that bluetooth reason...

What pisses me off about their constant back and forth is that I know they're conspiring against me...In fact, yesterday I intercepted a communique and overheard frig say to oven "I have it on the best authority that you're going to be cookin a 4 hour roast tonight...He moved a 10lbs roast from freezer to frig this morning....Sucks to be you, but I wanted to give you a heads up, brother man". Oven says "Yea, f*ck, if that f*ckers gonna work me again, I'm gonna rat to the Smart Meter about him bakin cannabutter cookies the other night..."

Smart Chips don't work like that bro...At least not yet. The money a manufacturer spends to implant a smart chip into an appliance that rolls off the assembly line today is spent with the intent to somehow make the consumer's life easier-- like your refrigerator, based on zero weight recognizes that there are no eggs in the egg holder, so communicates this to a cyber shopping list that exists somewhere. Scary, no doubt, but to make the logical jump that the nature or intent -- or even capability at this point -- of these chips is to report to the central scrutinizing agency (or the CSA :) ) what potential illicit activities may be transpiring under your rooftop is, imo, ludicrous, my friend. Where the government insists that every appliance is outfitted with a device that can report illicit activity to a central authority is in the Orwellian future. That's not to say that it wouldn't be technologically possible at this point, but how paranoid do you have to be?

Quite simply put, there'd be massive outrage towards the gov't mandating these "rat" chips buried in every appliances, because civil liberties would be violated. Do you remember, several years ago when the gov't tried to force bullet manufacturers to implant a unique tag in each bullet that would be able to trace back a bullet used in a homicide to a point of purchase? Huge outrage-- didn't fly (of course w/ a lot of help$$ from the NRA) because it was argued that this was a breach of privacy. To put is simply, the sh*t your suggesting wouldn't fly in this country without you hearing about it.

I used to be in journalism, and when I interviewed the former Chief Counsel to the Warren Commission after the movie JFK came out, he said to me: "There's no way JFK's assassination could be a conspiracy-- because too many people would have had to have been involved, somebody would have blown the whistle by now..." This same rationale-- that somebody would have blown the whistle by now-- is the same reason I don't believe that there are any government conspiracies underway to mandate "ratting" appliances.

The one thing I could (possibly) believe, though, is that certain appliances emit a certain frequency back into the grid that may further differentiate between load types. That I might believe. But 1) I would need evidence that Smart Meters actually read this appliance frequency, break down appliance usage and 2) Smart meters have the capacity to report it to someone who gives a sh*t. Please, no disrespect bro, your posts are really very good and Thank you. Peace.

G

grow nerd

Quiz it. Ask it a few common-sense and other general-knowledge questions, and judge its intelligence based on the responses. You can start with something like...

"What's 2 + 2?"

And finish with maybe "Who was the 37th President of the United States?"

Obviously, if your meter can't even make it past the 1st question, it is safe to consider it dumb. Either that, or no habla Ingles... :dunno:

im still lost on this power conditioner thing

anybody care to elaborate

thanks to the folks who gave input on thread, very very interesting read here

From the reasearch that I've done since finding this thread, a power conditioner isnt going to help against the smart meter, what the power conditioner actually does is clean up the the electricity that has entered your home. Just a big high tech surge protector in a sense. So yes, if someone could explain any benifit in hioding the hid sig than that would be helpfull. Thanks!

It would also seem from what info I could find that unless you are running way above the avgerage power usage for a given area than no one is going to see what power signatures are coming from your home. That there isnt anyone looking at what appliances you have. This seems to be right in line with what happend to the guy who started this thread, he doubled his power consumption in just a year, gradual or not. It is my opinion that a small grow i.e.1000w or less will not draw enough power for the system to even hiccup enough to draw any suspicion. Any of you guys more in the know want to confirm or rebut this thinking?

FLIR, smart meters, and high bills! I dunno about "smart meters", but I've recently switched to a LED light. My temps are now around room temp, and LEDs are s'posed to use less energy. Hopefully I killed 2 birds with one stone on that one, but I don't know squat about meters.
Best of luck to the OP. Hopefully, he can duck out of charges on this. Don't just be limited to CA (altho' the weather would be more like FL). 14 states have med laws and more are considering 'em!

IWanaGetHiSoHi

Just a suggestion ... Ignore SOTF420 ... you'll thank me ... Unless of course you like to hear Sweet Tooth Sweet Tooth Sweet Tooth all the fucking time ... In fact I'm thinking about killing my Original Sweet Tooth (yeah, BSs first DJs Blueberry stud & SPG crossing) just to spite him.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
jesus man, i feel for you and wish you the best of luck in the future, i hope you get off and get to move to cali and grow buddy. fuck the laws.

jd4083

Veteran
Just a suggestion ... Ignore SOTF420 ... you'll thank me ... Unless of course you like to hear Sweet Tooth Sweet Tooth Sweet Tooth all the fucking time ... In fact I'm thinking about killing my Original Sweet Tooth (yeah, BSs first DJs Blueberry stud & SPG crossing) just to spite him.

hands down the best post in the thread :laughing: