What's new

My girlfriend's cab... need suggestions!!

realistik

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I have almost completed the left flower chamber.. just have to build a carbon scrubber this weekend, put an elbow on the passive intake, and rig up a permanent co2 solution..

My temps w/ the 70w hps on are between 82-85.. I was running closer to 90 until I installed the 120mm inside to move around the cab and to prevent heat from building up in the top of the cabinet considering the exhaust is so low (through the tube).

I will post pictures of the scrubber when it's finished..

Thanks for stopping by

grouchy

Did you see that the are giving out bragging rights in the 70w hps club? You can post up your final yield under a 70w and it will be ranked on the first post. Lets see what you can do without needing a reflector!:canabis:

realistik

Did you see that the are giving out bragging rights in the 70w hps club? You can post up your final yield under a 70w and it will be ranked on the first post. Lets see what you can do without needing a reflector!:canabis:

Sorry for the late reply, lol. Since I read your comment, its changed my mindset on my cab.. with maximizing my grow space. Sure, I've never reaped the benefits of growing my own, but I want the first grow to yield a good amount to last me until next harvest, and for bragging rights.. haha.

Here's a shot of what it's looking like right now.. I made some wire frames for each Papaya that brought it down to half the size.. and allowing a ton of more growth..

picture.php

what he said^

nice cab realistik!

gotta love the micro HPS grows!

Thanks brotha!

Okay. So I've pretty much completed one side of my flowering cab... with the vert HPS and what not. Well, I've decided now that I want to put a 70w hps on the other side, horizontally.. with a scrog.

Here's a shot of the screen I have.. it doesn't fit wall-to-wall.. but I was thinking of making a PVC frame around it tied with zipties.. any suggestions on height? fixed height? or should I make it mountable at a couple of positions?

picture.php

Also, ventilation: passive intake, active exhaust? intake above screen or below?

Thanks guys!!

M

mrred

mount it to your pot so you can take it in and out of the cab easily

passive intake active exhaust intake below the screen

realistik

mount it to your pot so you can take it in and out of the cab easily

passive intake active exhaust intake below the screen

I like. That would make things hella easier. Only thing is I was planning on having like 2-4 plants in there. I could build something... maybe attach the screen to a square piece of wood that the plants sit on, so the entire thing could be slid out easily. I'll think more about it.

Thanks though, it definitely won't be attached to the walls now.. didn't think about how watering would be a pain in the ass.

realistik

Here's what I've done so far:

picture.php

picture.php

The square pot that is attached will hold a couple of round pots I plan to use. None of the PVC is glued so it can be adjusted if need be. I could veg for a bit then add the screen later as well.

Any suggestions about the cooltube.. and reflector? I was thinking of doing something similiar to my vert grow on the left.. using the cooltube for the exhaust perhaps.. since it will be at the roof of the cab I think it will work. Of course I'll just have to scrub the air

grouchy

What is the benefit of the pvc frame? I just use some 1" square fencing and bend it to the shape I want. If that screen is 1" square then I will guess that it is 1" pvc. It looks like you have two 8" long and two 7" long pieces of 1" pvc taking up canopy space. That is 30 sq in of wasted space.

I would just bend some fencing up until I had it curved the way I wanted it to maximize the bulb. I did something similar for a vertical screen but it works on horizontal as well. Here is a pic to see what I am talking about. This wire fencing is very stiff and cheap too.

picture.php

realistik

After I put it all together I realized how much potential bud space I took up.. and thanks for doing the math lol.

I'm going to try a couple of things.

I plan to remove the top PVC part.. housing the screen. What I want to do is find something similar, like your fencing, and just add it on to the rest of the housing I made.

I'll make it wall-to-wall screen, then have stiff wire running down at an angle to each of the four existing posts.. so it will all be connected, and have the ability to be slid out.

Thanks bro.

grouchy

No need for "stiff wire" when using fencing. Just cut the fence bigger and bend it back to your container. You can trim it down to a single "stiff wire". Until then you could just grow your buds over the frame. The pvc frames are a trend around here that I never did understand. The only reason I called you on it is for your great ability to listen and take advice instead of getting defensive. I am excited to see this cab going full steam ahead.

Any plans on how you will cool the horizontal lamp?

realistik

Sweet. I'm probably going to pick some of that up tomorrow and make the adjustments. That could have been many grams! haha

Oh yeah dude, I am all about doing things myself.. and the way I think they should be done.. BUT I know when to give credit when it's due, especially when it involves a higher yield.. ha

I knew putting it together that I was losing bud space, but I should have known you weren't gonna let me leave it like that man lol. That's what you're here for. And man do I appreciate it!

Speaking of the cooltube.. I was planning on just mounting the tube in a piece of PVC (ahhh more PVC!!)... and have a 140cfm fan pulling air out....like I said, I was thinking of using the tube as the exhaust since it will be at the top of the cab.. what do you think?

F

fully baked

Sweet. I'm probably going to pick some of that up tomorrow and make the adjustments. That could have been many grams! haha

Oh yeah dude, I am all about doing things myself.. and the way I think they should be done.. BUT I know when to give credit when it's due, especially when it involves a higher yield.. ha

I knew putting it together that I was losing bud space, but I should have known you weren't gonna let me leave it like that man lol. That's what you're here for. And man do I appreciate it!

Speaking of the cooltube.. I was planning on just mounting the tube in a piece of PVC (ahhh more PVC!!)... and have a 140cfm fan pulling air out....like I said, I was thinking of using the tube as the exhaust since it will be at the top of the cab.. what do you think?

When PVC is heated it releases vinyl chloride which is bad news. Toxic, carcinogenic stuff. Depending on how hot your exhaust is, you might want to take this into consideration. It will work fine as a screen and platform, but I'd cut it out of the exhaust work.

realistik

When PVC is heated it releases vinyl chloride which is bad news. Toxic, carcinogenic stuff. Depending on how hot your exhaust is, you might want to take this into consideration. It will work fine as a screen and platform, but I'd cut it out of the exhaust work.

Man the setup on the other side of the cab is very similar, and given it's only a 70w hps.. it doesn't really get that hot. I've had it going for a month now and no issues..

Am I breathing chemicals and deteriorating and just not know it? haha..

I'll get it all put together and I'll check the temps for sure now that you've said something...

picture.php

M

mrred

i use same type of white shelfing screen you use i found near a garbage can, i make a frame out of 1x2s that cost 88cent each for 8 feet of it, then i nail it to the board with a U shaped nail, i dont got pics of it now but heres a drawing,

Last edited:

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
jsut bumped into this thread and thought of a couple things, of course your well on your way but wanted to ask

i dont know if you discussed it or not, but why didn't you go with the 16oz cups? you wouldve saved on space or maybe just a planter bed type setup since your gonna be doing soil anyway?

is all of that screen stuff something that she is willing to deal with on her first grow? hey if shes cool im cool though.

is there a particular reason why you went with the pvc light mounting option? it seems as though you could have mounted the light socket to some sort of brace and be able to raise/lower the light as you needed to? isnt that your veg sect. so why did you go with a HPS and not floros or is that light so bright that i cant tell what it really is?

i would think that maybe that clear tube you have could have been connected to a reducer of some sort and then you could use that flexible aluminum ducting so that you could raise/lower the light as you see fit; you may have to cut some of the reducer off a lil but with such a small space a 70hps could just be left at the top and then all you/she would have to worry about is switching to 12/12

i always see so much potential with those lil cabs, but its always to each his own.

i like what your doing though, i only read the first and last pages so far but i'll read the rest of the thread to get a better picture of whats going on. . .

EDIT: i read everything and man, i should have bumped into this thing a whole lot and i mean A WHOLE LOT earlier. . . .um, errr, um. . . are you willing to make any changes or are you married to this thing? i mean some things you cant and some things you can

Last edited:

realistik

i dont know if you discussed it or not, but why didn't you go with the 16oz cups? you wouldve saved on space or maybe just a planter bed type setup since your gonna be doing soil anyway?

I'd rather have around four larger plants than as many plants as possible.

is all of that screen stuff something that she is willing to deal with on her first grow? hey if shes cool im cool though.
Yeah it's not rocket science.

isnt that your veg sect. so why did you go with a HPS and not floros or is that light so bright that i cant tell what it really is?
I do seedlings/clones in a PC case. Then the plants are moved into the cabinet. They are then left vegging under the HPS for 24/0.. until I'm ready to switch them to 12/12. I've let them fill up the cabinet.

Keep in mind this grow is strictly for my own use.. Hell, if I could yield an ounce every harvest, I'm happy.. I only smoke about a gram a week. I'm all about maximizing my grow space and what not, getting the highest yield, definitely, but as of right now I'm sticking with the dual chamber flower cabinet... vertical HPS on one side.. horizontal HPS w/ scrog on the other.. and PC for seedlings/clones.. Seems like a good system to me.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts