What's new

My gardening drills, the easy way....and a Help Desk if you're "needy" LOL. Questions? Fire away, I'm here to help.

singlecoiled

Ozone generator will take care of it.
Its weeks 6-10 flower that can get a little scary. I will be taking up Oil Painting (think of Bob Ross) in the same room. A little Turpentine (nice and piney) will hide any odor that makes it past my carbon filter and I'll have an excuse for using it.

Enough of my sillyness, Low odor is another topic...sorry to sidetrack this thread ! I saw Osmocote at walmart and was thinking of you, the ratio seemed to be a little lower in the N than Foliage Pro, has me wondering a bit.

Your plants look great !

oldmaninbc

Its weeks 6-10 flower that can get a little scary. I will be taking up Oil Painting (think of Bob Ross) in the same room. A little Turpentine (nice and piney) will hide any odor that makes it past my carbon filter and I'll have an excuse for using it.

Enough of my sillyness, Low odor is another topic...sorry to sidetrack this thread ! I saw Osmocote at walmart and was thinking of you, the ratio seemed to be a little lower in the N than Foliage Pro, has me wondering a bit.

Your plants look great !
Not sure if you can get this product, have you heard of ONA it is odor neutralizer.

singlecoiled

Not sure if you can get this product, have you heard of ONA it is odor neutralizer.

I am using ONA gel but its expensive and barely covers the odor. I already bought Turpentine and tested using a paper towel and just a few drops, Its perfect ! It smells a lot like the smell of Northern Lights in flower, Piney....

Yes, I know, people may think turpentine is dangerous, but its a natural product made from pine trees. Its used in perfume and some even put it on their skin. I think if used lightly, it will be quite safe to mask odor. Talk about Terps ! Turpentine is all terps..

Here is my grow situation: Custom Grow Cabinet built by me. Locking doors are a must.

grow cab edits.JPG

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

I am using ONA gel but its expensive and barely covers the odor. I already bought Turpentine and tested using a paper towel and just a few drops, Its perfect ! It smells a lot like the smell of Northern Lights in flower, Piney....

Yes, I know, people may think turpentine is dangerous, but its a natural product made from pine trees. Its used in perfume and some even put it on their skin. I think if used lightly, it will be quite safe to mask odor. Talk about Terps ! Turpentine is all terps..

Here is my grow situation: Custom Grow Cabinet built by me. Locking doors are a must.

View attachment 18950845

Nice job. That kind of security must be a PITA

Good luck

oldmaninbc

View attachment 18950845
Reading your comment caused me to think back to when I was a child and my Grandfather made is own ointment/salves one included goose grease and turpentine. I am still alive.

According to AI Terpentine is dangerous if ingested or inhaled but like you say, if used lightly it could be OK.
Maybe I am just paranoid, I was exposed to asbestos when I was young and now for the rest of my life I will pay a price.
Nice work on your cabinet, it looks store bought.

CocoNut 420

I never remove any healthy, green productive foliage. My problem is neglect regarding keeping up the watering drills. Those unattended plants stress out with some leaf sets turning necrotic. I just pinch off the petiole.

I think your question is about apical dominance and yes when you top the auxins/growth hormones that normally collect at and near the terminal tip, the end, will be re-distributed to dormant foliar buds residing in the leaf petiole axils. Meaning, the plant will branch. Best done during veg stage. Same "stimulant" applies using root pruning pots. You're topping but doing so underground.

Uncle Ben
I meant more along the lines of removing popcorn making any real difference up top?

Sort of like fruit growers removing some of the fruit early season to concentrate growth into the remaining crop.

Old Uncle Ben

I meant more along the lines of removing popcorn making any real difference up top?

Sort of like fruit growers removing some of the fruit early season to concentrate growth into the remaining crop.

Don't know. I never bothered. You could always leave the popcorn and lower level leaves be and reveg. I did on a Lapis Mtn. indica. Got another 1.7 oz of cured bud and it was a very small plant to begin with.

Speaking of indicas, this is the only one of the Kwik Seeds "Afghani mix" and she's a lady.

Jan 25 afghani.jpg

singlecoiled

Reading your comment caused me to think back to when I was a child and my Grandfather made is own ointment/salves one included goose grease and turpentine. I am still alive.

According to AI Terpentine is dangerous if ingested or inhaled but like you say, if used lightly it could be OK.
Maybe I am just paranoid, I was exposed to asbestos when I was young and now for the rest of my life I will pay a price.
Nice work on your cabinet, it looks store bought.
Thanks for compliment on my cabinet, I removed the foil and painted the inside white with mildew reistant paint since that picture was taken. I still have some work to do, I may add another carbon filter and fan to scrub internally.

Northern Lights is my current grow. It is a low odor strain compared to most and takes 65 days (plus or minus) to finish. Week 6-9 are when the odor starts to get by my filter (just a bit), ONA is great but not cheap, I'm trying to reduce costs, ONA is around 25 bucks and only lasts for one grow.

Sadly, (or happily?) the cost of weed in my area is so cheap now It just doesnt make sense to grow. $80-100 a zip for just about anything you want. Hell, soil and electricity are costing me half of the value of my homegrown weed compared to local dispenseries...Yes, my weed is better but its a lot of headaches at times.

You know, I may just start growing tomatoes pretty soon. I jumped into this hobby to grow weed but am finding that growing is a lot of fun ! This may convert me to a plain old gardener in the end... I'd love to see how tasty some Roma Plum Tomatoes (marinara) come out using all of my newly gained skills..

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Thanks for compliment on my cabinet, I removed the foil and painted the inside white with mildew reistant paint since that picture was taken. I still have some work to do, I may add another carbon filter and fan to scrub internally... If there is a will there is a way !

Northern Lights is my current grow. It is a low odor strain compared to most and takes 65 days (plus or minus) to finish. Week 6-9 are when the odor starts to get by my filter (just a bit), ONA is great but not cheap, I'm trying to reduce costs, ONA is around 25 bucks and only lasts for one grow.

Sadly, (or happily?) the cost of weed in my area is so cheap now It just doesnt make sense to grow. $80-100 a zip for just about anything you want. Hell, soil and electricity are costing me half of the value of my homegrown weed compared to local dispenseries...Yes, my weed is better but its a lot of headaches at times.

You know, I may just start growing tomatoes pretty soon. I jumped into this hobby to grow weed but am finding that growing is a lot of fun ! This may convert me to a plain old gardener in the end... I'd love to see how tasty some Roma Plum Tomatoes (marinara) come out using all of my newly gained skills..

Yeah, inflation has really kicked in. I used to buy a 3 cu. ft. bag of Berger SM7 for $27 last year in fact. It's now almost tripled https://www.amleo.com/berger-bm7-bark-mix-3-cu-ft/p/BM7-P

Am growing Juliet grape tomato. Is a big grape type with good flavor. Roma and San Marzano are old plum maters good for sauce. . https://www.amleo.com/berger-bm7-bark-mix-3-cu-ft/p/BM7-P

Juliet.jpg

This oldie is pretty good stuff. Should be available at your auto parts stores or Walmart.

PassionForMaryJ

Looking good as always, been so long since I have seen a UB thread!
I miss the OG and PG days, even the back and forth you shared more than a few times with ~Guano~ lol
Good info in your threads as always, good to see you still around.
I am not growing atm, but tried an outdoor grow, the rain soaked my buds and they rotted, hard lesson learned, the buds never have time to fully dry before the sun comes back, not if they are fat! :D

singlecoiled

Yeah, inflation has really kicked in. I used to buy a 3 cu. ft. bag of Berger SM7 for $27 last year in fact. It's now almost tripled https://www.amleo.com/berger-bm7-bark-mix-3-cu-ft/p/BM7-P

Am growing Juliet grape tomato. Is a big grape type with good flavor. Roma and San Marzano are old plum maters good for sauce. . https://www.amleo.com/berger-bm7-bark-mix-3-cu-ft/p/BM7-P

View attachment 18951234

This oldie is pretty good stuff. Should be available at your auto parts stores or Walmart.

Thats it ! Look how red and sweet those tomatoes look. I bet when you cut them you can see the sugar granules. I dont bother making sauce unless I have good tomatoes just like this,...

While I have you, I'm feeding my plant tonight... Have to admit its really hard not giving bloom nutrients, I'm worried my plant is getting too much N, but we'll see. I'll feed tonight with a heavy dose of Foliage Pro... (fighting my desire to add a little Mag Pro or Bloom.) The leaf tips pointing down is something that has my attention and a lot of guides warn this is a sign of too much N... (no signs of Nutrient burn though so I'm not letting the leaf tips stop me from feeding)

Also, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that Coco holds too much water, I'm using Coco Loco and it holds water like a sponge--- very hard to water to runnoff. Over watering might also be why I'm seeing leaf tips down... Its been 4 days since my last watering and my 3 gallon pot its light when picked up... Runoff PPM's are low (250), so I'm thinking she needs a good feeding..

Last edited:

oldmaninbc

Thanks for compliment on my cabinet, I removed the foil and painted the inside white with mildew reistant paint since that picture was taken. I still have some work to do, I may add another carbon filter and fan to scrub internally.

You know, I may just start growing tomatoes pretty soon. I jumped into this hobby to grow weed but am finding that growing is a lot of fun ! This may convert me to a plain old gardener in the end... I'd love to see how tasty some Roma Plum Tomatoes (marinara) come out using all of my newly gained skills..About
Maybe 4 years ago I had a number of issues with my crops and and harvested less than I needed for my medical purposes. Buying through the market showed me there were some cheap satisfactory products available. I have a cannabis medical licence(20 plants) plus it's legal to grow 4 plants in BC Canada.

I am in mid 70s with several chronic health problems. Growing is becoming more complicated in a physical sense and unless I am very careful I can lose my concentration and make fertilizer etc. measuring errors. I usually grow 4-6 plants my tent is a Meter by a Meter(39"x39"). Soon, it might be to my benefit that buying is easier.

I love gardening; have been doing it sine age 12, my grandparents encouraged me and I use to enter vegetables and flowers in the fall fair. Health issues prevent me from full on gardening now I can only grow a few container plants with some herbs. last year I grew a cherry tomato plant, it grew large and I had to weigh down the 20 gal container with rocks to stop it from blowing over in the wind, it can be quite windy where I live. It's good I have a spouse, she can help me with some lifting. I have 2 hernias and waiting on surgery, I will not be doing much gardening this year unless I get the hernias fixed up. Grow some sunflowers for the birds. I am a pasta fan and tomato sauces are on the menu. Sometimes novelty plants, zucca melon, wheat and others. Have fun gardening!

singlecoiled

Maybe 4 years ago I had a number of issues with my crops and and harvested less than I needed for my medical purposes. Buying through the market showed me there were some cheap satisfactory products available. I have a cannabis medical licence(20 plants) plus it's legal to grow 4 plants in BC Canada.

Nice, it sounds like Canada's laws are similar to what many of the US states are moving to. 4 plants per household is legal where I live as well. The dispensery weed isnt great, but its not that bad either, for 80 bucks a zip you cant really expect too much. Ive tried some of the "top shelf" buds that go for 200-300 a zip as well, but was not that impressed. Those high prices are dissapearing fast though, almost everything is going for around $100 now.. Check out Wheres Weed in the Wash DC area if you curious to see prices.

I am in mid 70s with several chronic health problems. Growing is becoming more complicated in a physical sense and unless I am very careful I can lose my concentration and make fertilizer etc. measuring errors. I usually grow 4-6 plants my tent is a Meter by a Meter(39"x39"). Soon, it might be to my benefit that buying is easier.

Man ! I'm in my mid 50's and already feeling my age. Growing can be hard work, no doubt about that. I doubt I'll have the "juice" to grow in another 10 years, we'll see. I do think its a good hobby though if you can keep it going. Maybe try something small just for the fun of growing like me? I'm growing one plant in a 16"x16"x32" grow cabinet, its not that bad. I can see 24 plants being a LOT of work as we get older, I hear you man...

I love gardening; have been doing it sine age 12, my grandparents encouraged me and I use to enter vegetables and flowers in the fall fair. Health issues prevent me from full on gardening now I can only grow a few container plants with some herbs. last year I grew a cherry tomato plant, it grew large and I had to weigh down the 20 gal container with rocks to stop it from blowing over in the wind, it can be quite windy where I live. It's good I have a spouse, she can help me with some lifting. I have 2 hernias and waiting on surgery, I will not be doing much gardening this year unless I get the hernias fixed up. Grow some sunflowers for the birds. I am a pasta fan and tomato sauces are on the menu. Sometimes novelty plants, zucca melon, wheat and others. Have fun gardening!

Two hernias, dam man no way around that. You definately need to take it easy ! Hope you get that sorted soon so you can keep the joy of gardening going..

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Looking good as always, been so long since I have seen a UB thread!
I miss the OG and PG days, even the back and forth you shared more than a few times with ~Guano~ lol
Good info in your threads as always, good to see you still around.
I am not growing atm, but tried an outdoor grow, the rain soaked my buds and they rotted, hard lesson learned, the buds never have time to fully dry before the sun comes back, not if they are fat! :D
Good to see you too, thanks for the kind words. Grab some popcorn, a Lone Star beer and your favorite easy chair.

Yeah, I had my share of trolls. :)

Peace...

Old Uncle Ben

Thats it ! Look how red and sweet those tomatoes look. I bet when you cut them you can see the sugar granules. I dont bother making sauce unless I have good tomatoes just like this,...

While I have you, I'm feeding my plant tonight... Have to admit its really hard not giving bloom nutrients, I'm worried my plant is getting too much N, but we'll see. I'll feed tonight with a heavy dose of Foliage Pro... (fighting my desire to add a little Mag Pro or Bloom.) The leaf tips pointing down is something that has my attention and a lot of guides warn this is a sign of too much N... (no signs of Nutrient burn though so I'm not letting the leaf tips stop me from feeding)

Also, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that Coco holds too much water, I'm using Coco Loco and it holds water like a sponge--- very hard to water to runnoff. Over watering might also be why I'm seeing leaf tips down... Its been 4 days since my last watering and my 3 gallon pot its light when picked up... Runoff PPM's are low (250), so I'm thinking she needs a good feeding..

Man, folks can find some bullshit to worry about, they miss the forest for the trees. Some of my plants have leaf tips pointing down, so what. What matters is the overall health/color of the leaf. Some leaf margin or tip curling is a sign of moisture stress, for whatever reason. In my case I get lazy and don't water my plants enough.

Stay off the bloom foods. For nth time, neither abundant P and/K are flowering stimulants. They are only required in balanced ratios to support all plant processes. Forget the flowers, concentrate on a fine root system and abundant food factories - leaves. Flowers will come in due time due to hormonal processes, NOT because of man made bloom foods.

Yep, ya gotta be careful with coco. One reason why I gave up on it long ago, plus it's not a good value.

UB

singlecoiled

Man, folks can find some bullshit to worry about, they miss the forest for the trees. Some of my plants have leaf tips pointing down, so what. What matters is the overall health/color of the leaf. Some leaf margin or tip curling is a sign of moisture stress, for whatever reason. In my case I get lazy and don't water my plants enough.

Stay off the bloom foods. For nth time, neither abundant P and/K are flowering stimulants. They are only required in balanced ratios to support all plant processes. Forget the flowers, concentrate on a fine root system and abundant food factories - leaves. Flowers will come in due time due to hormonal processes, NOT because of man made bloom foods.

Yep, ya gotta be careful with coco. One reason why I gave up on it long ago, plus it's not a good value.

UB

Alright, alright I'm going to lock away my MagPro and Bloom nutrients and hide the key

I'm a new grower, just trying to learn to read my plants. I've grown this strain many times without the leaf tips going down so I'm just a bit curious. I'm not overly worried, my plant is looking the best it ever has . I'm enjoying the forest and just glancing at the trees, I swear !

Awesome tomatoes by the way. I'm getting hungy. Im gonna use my Spiderfarmer to grow Roma's.... I wont need to worry about odor and I think "good" tomatoes cost more than weed now.(Whole Foods prices) Sadly, most people dont even know what a good tomatoe is. (or how to spell it, thats sad too. my bad. Tomato Tomatoe?)

Last thing (I type too much I know)... I did read a review of Foliage Pro and one user mentioned the claw from too much N with certain strains. The user switched to Dyna Grow Grow (7-9-5) and his grow improved. I'm toying with having a bottle of each and tossing the bloom nutrients all together. Maybe run both Grow and Foliage Pro together or alternatively? I'll post pictures soon, my plant is the greenest its ever been. Funny how simple this Foliage Pro is to use. Its silly easy !

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Alright, alright I'm going to lock away my MagPro and Bloom nutrients and hide the key

I'm a new grower, just trying to learn to read my plants. I've grown this strain many times without the leaf tips going down so I'm just a bit curious. I'm not overly worried, my plant is looking the best it ever has . I'm enjoying the forest and just glancing at the trees, I swear !

Awesome tomatoes by the way. I'm getting hungy. Im gonna use my Spiderfarmer to grow Roma's.... I wont need to worry about odor and I think "good" tomatoes cost more than weed now.(Whole Foods prices) Sadly, most people dont even know what a good tomatoe is. (or how to spell it, thats sad too. my bad. Tomato Tomatoe?)

Last thing (I type too much I know)... I did read a review of Foliage Pro and one user mentioned the claw from too much N with certain strains. The user switched to Dyna Grow Grow (7-9-5) and his grow improved. I'm toying with having a bottle of each and tossing the bloom nutrients all together. Maybe run both Grow and Foliage Pro together or alternatively? I'll post pictures soon, my plant is the greenest its ever been. Funny how simple this Foliage Pro is to use. Its silly easy !

Tell your N paranoid friend to try some of this. :)

Polyonsend.jpg

I don't give anecdotal evidence the time of the day.

This anti N derangement syndrome is a product of empowering vendors to brain wash them out of their money with every kind of supplement product they can drum up..

singlecoiled

Tell your N paranoid friend to try some of this. :)

View attachment 18952046

I don't give anecdotal evidence the time of the day.

This anti N derangement syndrome is a product of empowering vendors to brain wash them out of their money with every kind of supplement product they can drum up..

OK, so to clarify, I'll be using a single bottle (Foliage Pro) and thats it. Thats too easy ! Come on man, I need to mix at least 15 different things, Bud Candy (makes buds taste sweet cause its called bud candy), Mollasses, Silica, Flushing agents, Cal Mag, Magic Dust, Non Magic dust, and Hocus Pocus. (jokes here, sometimes I think Im funny)

I'll shut up now and just let this run go with Foliage Pro... Yep, 18-4-9 is crazy high in N compared to my FP, I feel better now after seeing this..

Love your description of the Anti N Derangement syndrome... I got a really good chuckle out of this.