What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My gardening drills, the easy way....and a Help Desk if you're "needy" LOL. Questions? Fire away, I'm here to help.

Old Uncle Ben

For starts, you old pHarts that have had the pleasure (or displeasure) :p of knowing me virtually for 20 or so years, beginning with the very first cannabis forums via the first and new internet, know I'm a conventional grower using conventional methods. They work.

I don't embrace most, if any, cannabis forum "logic, advice, or gardening" techniques. You want "Bro Science", I'm not your man. You want some solid gardening and plant nutritional, soil chemistry advice based on 55 years of gardening experience including class and field workshops with professionals....I can help.

Don't care to grow 4-7' indoor, or outdoor, gardens anymore. Been there, done that. I'm an old fart that grows cannabis (and lots of other stuff like tropical fruits) for me and my friends. Nuff said.... Gonna do a current timeline.

Canna Garden 2023-2024

Growing
: 2 1990 Master Kush X Afghani 90, 1 Real Seeds' Afghani Mix, 2 C99, 4 “CindyPeak”

Dec. 5 – 5 Afghani mix sowed, 1 up. Sowed (3) 1990 Master Kush X Afghaan 90, 2 up.

Dec. 7 – soaked 3 Orient Express last night, all sank. Sowed seeds. All grew well, destroyed them Dec. 16

Dec. 10 – All O.E. seeds up. Total of 6 seedlings up.

Dec. 13 – 1 of 4 C99 soaking has a tail out. Dropped 4 C99 X (C99XPeak19) seeds in water. Planted 2 C99 seeds.

Dec. 14 – other 2 C99 seeds splitting

Dec. 16 – 2 CPeak sowed. Seeds split.

Dec. 17 – 1 C99 up. Sowed the last of CPeak.

Dec. 19 – 1 C99 and 2 CPeak up.

Dec. 21 – 1 CPeak is up.

Dec. 24 – Upcanned indicas. Drenched with mychor, added meals to the bulk soil.

Dec. 30 – Upcanned 4 more. No mychorrizae drench.

Jan. 6 – Upcanned the last 2 to treated 2 gal. pots, both CindyPeak aka my cross of an original Cinderella99 X (C99XPeak 19). No mychorrizae drench.

mycorrhizae.jpg

The Basics

Light - ViparSpectra KS5000 with an occasional sun bath. Soil - custom bulk soil mix with whatever is stockpiled outside or in bags. Water - I collect rainwater, use it often. Well water is high in bicarbs of Ca and Mg. Current temps for the 18/6 veg - days 88F peak, nights - 70f. I create very thick, massive fibrous root systems. Growing can be done in smaller containers because of the efficiency of this method. So, I don't do 5 gal. pots but 2 gal. pots that have been painted with MicroKote. A root pruning paint. The root tip is terminated inducing profuse branching behind it. This is chemical root tip pruning. Think of it as topping but undergound. You're getting a lot of branching.

My old Griffin's Spin-Out experiment. Did it around 2002. https://overgrow.com/t/how-can-i-use-spin-out-for-chemical-root-pruning/258

MicroKote.jpg

MicroKotePots.jpg

In my greenhouse I use bottomless "pots" that use air/light to do the same thing. They are RootBuilder pots which you can make any size you want, anywhere from 5 gals. up to 80 gal. for the big avocado, citrus and mango trees. You can expand them at any time by adding more panels. Fertilizer - this garden is done with Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus - 15-9-12 with micros. 8-9 month is what I have in stock now. I threw in a little of the meals and gypsum when I made my soil mix.

SoilBulk.jpg

Have used it all, my faves being Osmocote, Dyna-Gro and Peters. I have never used cannabis specific foods and supplements.

Osmocote.jpg

I soak seeds for a day or two and then directly slow into soil using a 20 oz., 6.5" tall Styo-Cup. Never have done the wet paper towel, never will as explained in my (wordy) germination paper.

SeedsSoaking.jpg

Dec. 5, 2023 - few of the pure afghani indicas up. 3 are growing well. I also germed Orient Express which did very well. I decided to destroy them based on my timeline and anecdotal evidence...... favoring my backcrosses of C99 goodies instead.

Dec5 Indicas Up.jpg

Dec. 22

Dec22Seedlings.jpg

Dec. 29 - 3 indicas upcanned into 2 gal. MicroKote painted pots.

Dec29.jpg

To be continued......

Uncle Ben

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
For starts, you old pHarts that have had the pleasure (or displeasure) :p of knowing me virtually for 20 or so years, beginning with the very first cannabis forums via the first and new internet, know I'm a conventional grower using conventional methods. They work.

I don't embrace most, if any, cannabis forum "logic, advice, or gardening" techniques. You want "Bro Science", I'm not your man. You want some solid gardening and plant nutritional, soil chemistry advice based on 55 years of gardening experience including class and field workshops with professionals....I can help.

Don't care to grow 4-7' indoor, or outdoor, gardens anymore. Been there, done that. I'm an old fart that grows cannabis (and lots of other stuff like tropical fruits) for me and my friends. Nuff said.... Gonna do a current timeline.

Canna Garden 2023-2024

Growing
: 2 1990 Master Kush X Afghani 90, 1 Real Seeds' Afghani Mix, 2 C99, 4 “CindyPeak”

Dec. 5 – 5 Afghani mix sowed, 1 up. Sowed (3) 1990 Master Kush X Afghaan 90, 2 up.

Dec. 7 – soaked 3 Orient Express last night, all sank. Sowed seeds. All grew well, destroyed them Dec. 16

Dec. 10 – All O.E. seeds up. Total of 6 seedlings up.

Dec. 13 – 1 of 4 C99 soaking has a tail out. Dropped 4 C99 X (C99XPeak19) seeds in water. Planted 2 C99 seeds.

Dec. 14 – other 2 C99 seeds splitting

Dec. 16 – 2 CPeak sowed. Seeds split.

Dec. 17 – 1 C99 up. Sowed the last of CPeak.

Dec. 19 – 1 C99 and 2 CPeak up.

Dec. 21 – 1 CPeak is up.

Dec. 24 – Upcanned indicas. Drenched with mychor, added meals to the bulk soil.

Dec. 30 – Upcanned 4 more. No mychorrizae drench.

Jan. 6 – Upcanned the last 2 to treated 2 gal. pots, both CindyPeak aka my cross of an original Cinderella99 X (C99XPeak 19). No mychorrizae drench.

View attachment 18942853

The Basics

Light - ViparSpectra KS5000 with an occasional sun bath. Soil - custom bulk soil mix with whatever is stockpiled outside or in bags. Water - I collect rainwater, use it often. Well water is high in bicarbs of Ca and Mg. Current temps for the 18/6 veg - days 88F peak, nights - 70f. I create very thick, massive fibrous root systems. Growing can be done in smaller containers because of the efficiency of this method. So, I don't do 5 gal. pots but 2 gal. pots that have been painted with MicroKote. A root pruning paint. The root tip is terminated inducing profuse branching behind it. This is chemical root tip pruning. Think of it as topping but undergound. You're getting a lot of branching.

My old Griffin's Spin-Out experiment. Did it around 2002. https://overgrow.com/t/how-can-i-use-spin-out-for-chemical-root-pruning/258

View attachment 18942860

In my greenhouse I use bottomless "pots" that use air/light to do the same thing. They are RootBuilder pots which you can make any size you want, anywhere from 5 gals. up to 80 gal. for the big avocado, citrus and mango trees. You can expand them at any time by adding more panels. Fertilizer - this garden is done with Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus - 15-9-12 with micros. 8-9 month is what I have in stock now. I threw in a little of the meals and gypsum when I made my soil mix.

View attachment 18942873

Have used it all, my faves being Os., Dyna-Gro and Peters.

View attachment 18942852

I soak seeds for a day or two and then directly slow into soil using a 20 oz., 6.5" tall Styo-Cup. Never have done the wet paper towel, never will as explained in my (wordy) germination paper.

View attachment 18942861

Dec. 5, 2023 - few of the pure afghani indicas up. 3 are growing well. I also germed Orient Express which did very well. I decided to destroy them based on my timeline and anecdotal evidence...... favoring my backcrosses of C99 goodies instead.

View attachment 18942862

Dec. 22

View attachment 18942863

Dec. 22

View attachment 18942866

Dec. 29 - 3 indicas upcanned into 2 gal. MicroKote painted pots.

View attachment 18942870

To be continued......

Uncle Ben
Thanks, Uncle Ben for sharing your grow with us. Your garden is looking really good and your setup is killer. I'm going to ride with you so I can learn from you.

Old Uncle Ben

Jan. 2 -

Jan2 2024.jpg

Jan. 6 - upcanned the last two sowed, C99 stuff. FWIW I pitch in enough pine or cypress bark to cover up the drainholes.

Jan6#4.jpg

Didn't take long to figure out why the one on the right was a bit N deprived. An algae bloom caused by my white translucent pot was eating up some of the N. I sprayed the others with black paint. Didn't do this one.

Moral - choose an opaque pot for all stages.

Jan6#5.jpg

Typical root spin-out. I pinch off the bottom.

Dec30 Upcann C99s CPeak too#2.jpg

How much Osmocote 15-9-12 do I scratch into the last of the backfill? About this much. :) It's how I cook too, never measuring seasonings/herbs when I make a pot of say......gumbo, marinara sauce, chili.

Osmocote.jpg

Jan. 6 after the last of the upcanning today. Back in the garden you go little ones!

Jan 6.jpg

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

thanks for the Thread Uncle Ben and I will be tagging along…

we are north of ya all , eastern Colorado high plains , about 40 miles from the Kansas border…

I am so jealous of ya alls Texas weather…

Thanks for tagging along. Yeah, I remember you trying to finish up an outdoor grow up there. Quite the challenge.

Weather? We get some nasty thunderstorms. Been hit with huge hail many a time. Is not fun. Living on the Gulf coast I've been thru many a hurricane but there's something about watching a spring weather warning, storms heading SW, knowing your outdoor crop of ag stuff is about to be nailed.

UB

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Thanks for tagging along. Yeah, I remember you trying to finish up an outdoor grow up there. Quite the challenge.

Weather? We get some nasty thunderstorms. Been hit with huge hail many a time. Is not fun. Living on the Gulf coast I've been thru many a hurricane but there's something about watching a spring weather warning, storms heading SW, knowing your outdoor crop of ag stuff is about to be nailed.

UB

yep yep….it was some Molokai Frost if I am not mistaken…sumbitch just started flowering good on October 1 st which is very late for us…we gets snow sometimes in September for crying out loud..

I did finish some Malawi in the hoophouse only because I could cover the 12x24 with a tarp…..

we have some African strandivars that will finish here but I am worried about trying to start some Jamaican and South American sativas here….

i May have to farm out some of the long flowered beans..like some Dalat lol….i don’t have a chance in Viet Nam to finish those 20-27 week bitches…

Old Uncle Ben

yep yep….it was some Molokai Frost if I am not mistaken…sumbitch just started flowering good on October 1 st which is very late for us…we gets snow sometimes in September for crying out loud..

I did finish some Malawi in the hoophouse only because I could cover the 12x24 with a tarp…..

we have some African strandivars that will finish here but I am worried about trying to start some Jamaican and South American sativas here….

i May have to farm out some of the long flowered beans..like some Dalat lol….i don’t have a chance in Viet Nam to finish those 20-27 week bitches…

You got some of the Dalat way back when from the OG member who went back to that valley to pick up some seeds?! Don't know if I posted this before but I sent some to a fella in Santa Cruz. He had to remove the top of his greenhouse to finish them out LOL. :ROFLMAO: Here it is like late Sept. and no flowering response. Told him, "stuff is weird, patience. When it's ready it just explodes overnight." And explode it did. Overnight.

Just a thought, many of the equatorial sativas, talking 0 - 15 degrees, primarily flower not because of a hormonal (phytochrome) response as a chronological clock, age. They have to veg for many months.

CruzDalat#2.jpeg
CruzDalat#3.jpeg
CruzDalat#4.jpeg
CruzDalat.jpeg

Speaking of sativas, I ordered some of Dubi's latest breeding/revision of the Golden TigerXPanama. Mandala stock. Gonna try to do it outdoors.

Mandala Seeds Jan 21#2.jpg

iTarzan

Hello Uncle Ben. I will always remember you from Overgrow and Planet Ganja. You always had a tremendous green thumb, were very botanically knowledgeable and a good teacher. I am very interested to follow you here. I will pick your brain along the way.
I grew some Golden Tigers outside in a cheap greenhouse in 2022. I posted in the Golden Tiger Threads. It went until Dec 14 or so. I put one of those oil filled electric radiators in it and it finished in Pennsylvania 41N.

I want to try and grow some Jamaican Long Time Weed and Corinto next. I will get them through a long veg by cloning.
Anyways real glad to see you around.

Old Uncle Ben

Hello Uncle Ben. I will always remember you from Overgrow and Planet Ganja. You always had a tremendous green thumb, were very botanically knowledgeable and a good teacher. I am very interested to follow you here. I will pick your brain along the way.
I grew some Golden Tigers outside in a cheap greenhouse in 2022. I posted in the Golden Tiger Threads. It went until Dec 14 or so. I put one of those oil filled electric radiators in it and it finished in Pennsylvania 41N.

I want to try and grow some Jamaican Long Time Weed and Corinto next. I will get them through a long veg by cloning.
Anyways real glad to see you around.

Hi, good to see you @iTarzan! Thanks for the kind words....tag a long and good luck with those cuttings.

How's the high of that Golden Tiger? Loaded question because much of the quality of the hjgh depends on many factors - no insect damage, plenty of healthy leaves up till harvest, etc.

Switched the oldest which are pure indica (afghani) to the front for ease of watering since they are wicking soil moisture off the fastest and the youngest to the back row. Afghan on the front left is the tallest so I yanked the string of the lamp at that corner to raise it up a bit.

Jan11.jpg

Best,
Uncle Ben

Last edited:

iTarzan

I had 3 phenos 2 of them similar with hybrid leaves leaning a bit to indica side and rounder buds. One of the 2 had more trichs and was more potent. They were very much sativa head highs with a creeper high. They had complex flavors but put the well known incense smell in the air. Especially if you left the room and then came back in. They finished in 12 and 14 weeks. They both had the GT trait of horizontal branching in places. They were topped numerous times and still were 9 feet tall and reached the greenhouse roof.
The different sativa looking one had big long sativa leaves but not totally super skinny sativa leaves. It was loaded with trichs, Christmas tree shaped with spearlike tops. The first hit you could feel an energy, stimulating effect right off the get go. Bit of creeper and you realized you were very high but clear and functional but easily side tracked and forgetful and plenty high. It wasn't paranoid or too speedy but it definitely made you want to do tasks and enjoy them even like housework. It wasn't devastating potency but it was a very enjoyable, no doubt yo are stoned day time smoke.
I cobbed most of my golden tiger and will cob again.
I looked up the light you use. They are really to expensive $380-500 US dollars. Is it actually cool? Do you have ventilation like for his? It looks like you don't.

Old Uncle Ben

I had 3 phenos 2 of them similar with hybrid leaves leaning a bit to indica side and rounder buds. One of the 2 had more trichs and was more potent. They were very much sativa head highs with a creeper high. They had complex flavors but put the well known incense smell in the air. Especially if you left the room and then came back in. They finished in 12 and 14 weeks. They both had the GT trait of horizontal branching in places. They were topped numerous times and still were 9 feet tall and reached the greenhouse roof.
The different sativa looking one had big long sativa leaves but not totally super skinny sativa leaves. It was loaded with trichs, Christmas tree shaped with spearlike tops. The first hit you could feel an energy, stimulating effect right off the get go. Bit of creeper and you realized you were very high but clear and functional but easily side tracked and forgetful and plenty high. It wasn't paranoid or too speedy but it definitely made you want to do tasks and enjoy them even like housework. It wasn't devastating potency but it was a very enjoyable, no doubt yo are stoned day time smoke.
I cobbed most of my golden tiger and will cob again.
I looked up the light you use. They are really to expensive $380-500 US dollars. Is it actually cool? Do you have ventilation like for his? It looks like you don't.

Thanks for the comprehensive report!

Love my KS5000, got it on sale. The separate driver has a 15' cord. I have it in the garden for some extra heat I inject floor air using a small computer type, caged 5" fan. It sits within a reflector cutout of about 6" X 6" at the far left corner. Fixture runs real cool compared to HID's. I used to grow with one 400 MH and one 600 HPS.

Temp highs are around 88F days, 72F or lower nights.