What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My friend for 12 years

paper thorn

Veteran
My Great Dane, Bruno, died last night.

He's been real sick for a while now. Started with split toenails on his back foot. He chewed them off. They healed, with a lot of attention from me. He chewed the ones on the other foot off, this time he got an infection. Long battle finally won, but by then the antibiotics had wiped out the bacteria in his gut and his ability to digest food. Lots of vomiting, lots of pepcid AC, lots of chicken and rice.

He was near death, and i nursed him back. He's been pretty happy the last few months, even tried to chase his tail the other day, picked up a shoe,(his way of saying he wants to go out), was looking kinda good.

Yesterday he just laid there all day till last night he went out on got into his chair. I was surprised he got onto it because he was so weak and wobbly. A couple hours later, he sat with his front feet on the porch floor and I helped him move his hips so his back feet could touch the ground. He got up and laid down on the cement. I got a blanket to cover him from the cold and he passed a few minutes later.

He was a good dog

I'm crushed, even though I knew it was coming.

I spent from midnight till 3:30 am under the moonlight digging his grave and burying him. Standing thigh deep and having to check as i dug to make sure that he would fit into the hole without cramping him was heartbreaking. Even though he had lost so much weight, he was still a big dog. It was a big hole.

He used to carry stuffed animals around. He liked to run and throw them up into the air and catch them. It was very cool to watch this big dog do a 180 in the air and catch a stuffed animal he had just tossed up.

My wife bought a tall table so he couldn't look right into your dinner plate. as easily anyway. He always knew exactly what kind of leftovers were on a particular shelf in the fridge.

We were really good friends.

I'll miss him.

here's a few recent pics of him, one with Martha, who has not got nearly enough attention since Bruno's been sick.
I can't find any older pics from when he was healthy of the big dog right now.

oldgrayhair

Hey paper, that's tough man, lost a friend of mine earlier in the year....never easy.
Just wanted to say I feel your pain and will be having a day of Blaze Foley songs for you and Bruno.
peace - ogh

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I feel for you, Paper horn. He looks like a good ole' boy who lived a long and happy life. Just what any dog could ask for.
Still missing our girl Maya and she has been gone three years now. She was in many ways my best friend too.
Many peeps say to just get a new one but Ill always compare any dog we may have in the future to her. Not ready for a replacement yet.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry to hear. It's rough when one of our animal family passes.He used to carry stuffed animals around. He liked to run and throw them up into the air and catch them. It was very cool to watch this big dog do a 180 in the air and catch a stuffed animal he had just tossed up.

My wife bought a tall table so he couldn't look right into your dinner plate. as easily anyway. He always knew exactly what kind of leftovers were on a particular shelf in the fridge.
Glad he enlightened your life (as good friends do!) and brought joy, smiles and frolic in the package deal.

brown_thumb

It's always very sad when we lose a beloved pet. As you stated, they're much more like friends and family than pets. Dogs are most especially like that. I still mourn the loss of my old pug two years ago.

Try to think good thoughts during the holiday season. Remember the good times. You and your family need that.

Green Squall

So sorry. Sounds like he had a great life and great owner. I'm glad you got to be with him when he passed. RIP.

~star~crash~

hey i don't know U & U don't know me, but i feel your pain & understand that kind of love ...i also have dogs whom i love ... one is 12 year old Siberian Huskie & this will be her last winter

peace 2 u from ~star~crash

Shed a tear for you paper. My good boy is almost 10 and I have to focus on enjoying the current good times we have rather than worrying about the impending crushing blow that I know must come in the future. Can't imagine how hard it will be.

mofeta

Veteran
Hi paper thorn

I am sorry to hear of your friend's passing. I know how tough it is to go through the loss of the kind of special friend that only a good dog can be. It is a very dear price to pay, but you and I know that it is worth paying that price to have been lucky enough to know and love Bruno. In my system of belief Bruno is very happy now that he is free of his body, and is privy to information and understanding that our feeble brains are unable to contain.

Give Martha a treat for me would you? She is probably mourning too. She looks just like one of my dogs- I found her wandering around AJ about 5 years ago. I was only going to keep her until I found her a home, but ended up falling in love with her and keeping her.

Wishing all the best to you and your family.

mofeta

shaggyballs

Veteran
Had his own chair....that werent no dog, that there is a family member.
Tough loss, but sounds like he had a good life!
I just lost my buddy too, so I feel ya bro!

Peace
Shag

paper thorn

Veteran
Everyone, thanks so much for the love and sympathy. I was in need of it. I want to look out and see him there. He's been at the forefront of my mind for a year. Every day worried and caring for his foot and stomach. I sure cooked a lot of rice and chicken for that pup. Here's to a great dog, the worry replaced now by his absence and his memories.

Thanks for caring, and thanks for sharing your stories too. i know we all go through this.

Merry Christmas

paper thorn

Veteran
A year ago my Great Dane died and I found comfort in writing a bit about that and him, here in this thread.

Today my other dog, my pretty girl, Martha, died after a tough year.

I had a stroke a month after Bruno died and was in the hospital for three weeks. After I got out, Martha had lost more weight than I had, and my legs looked like Bruno's legs I kept saying when I saw how scrawny I was getting. She never recovered, stayed skinny, we fed her canned food, made her food...

Well, she was 16 years old, that's 112 in dog years

I knew it was coming, but it's so heartbreaking. Hah! they say strokes can make you cry a lot,

i going to look for a pic, i think there's a couple already in my album. makes me sad that i lost her puppy pics.

I buried her out by Bruno
For some reason this John Prine song's been my durge all day
worth a listen
called Hello In There
[YOUTUBEIF]RfwGkplB_sY[/YOUTUBEIF]

Green Squall

Sorry about your dog. 16 is quite the feat though! I too lost all of my dogs puppy pics when my hard drive failed, but quickly realized its the memories that are most important.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

sorry I missed this paperthorn, and I'm sure that sadness still lingers a bit, some of that always will, it can't be helped for those w/a kind heart. Soon enough the thoughts of happier moments will push their way to the front although you'll always miss them.

I'm certain that Bruno & Martha were always happiest and safest in you & your wife's hands, they lived and passed with that great comfort.......

troutman

Seed Whore
:puppydoge :badday: :frown:

Sorry to hear that.

The following link and pic may ease your sorrow. :comfort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(pets)

68a287c1e8d7e076ec08aea84995a93d--rainbow-bridge-dog-all-about-animals.jpg