What's new

My first go @ indoor - what I'm using & battle w/ pH!

About 3 weeks since germination! (cont. 2/2)

About 3 weeks since germination! (cont. 2/2)

a couple more

There is already surprising amount of odor, some are developing a little faster than others, the ones that are a couple days "behind looking," are very stout w/ little node spacing, so either way it's a plus/plus. Unfortunately, 75% of the last week they have been just under the T5s since the mH raises the temp too much - going to work on fixing this w/ some ventilation + blower. Lots to look forward to, going to just get more interesting - quickly!

Feel free as always to leave me some comments, questions, tips, and positive or negative feedback! :thank you:

-SinSe

Thanks guys! *bump*

Thanks guys! *bump*

sinse,

looks great for you first attempt at hydro, very clean looking setup and the plants look great. Nice work.
HM

Thanks highon! Clean-li-ness is next to god-li-ness! lol Please keep watching I promise it will just get bigger an better!

nice setup , looks promising
smile.gif

Thanks ranta! It's been quite a bit of work getting everything to as is now - up to now it's all going according to plan so hopefully if it continues as planned it should be promising :)

Going to take care of the HID heat issue today. I am going to go out an get an inline blower or something comparable, w/ some aluminum ducting or whatever it is - do a little rigging up and then I should finally be able to keep the 400w on AND keep the tent closed.

-SinSe

good set up bro. just finished my first aero grow myself. You should have no truoble hitting the lb mark if all goes right. I hit 20oz's with 5 plants under 3k watts and was using the pbp line as well. Jst be careful with the liquid karma, I found that stuff is pretty darn hard to flush out at the end. just make sure to check ur ph daily as you dont want it to go any higher than 6.0

keep up the good work

Getting a pound!

Getting a pound!

good set up bro. just finished my first aero grow myself. You should have no truoble hitting the lb mark if all goes right. I hit 20oz's with 5 plants under 3k watts and was using the pbp line as well. Jst be careful with the liquid karma, I found that stuff is pretty darn hard to flush out at the end. just make sure to check ur ph daily as you dont want it to go any higher than 6.0

keep up the good work

Thanks rriot! This "aero" thing is turning out to be pretty awesome in all elements! Great job @ ya for pulling 20 oz's off of five plants - those were some FAT colas I bet :headbange I haven't added any nutes in a while, prob almost 2 weeks... just filtered water to make up for the evaporation.

6 plants vegging now, and ready to top them in the next day or two - I was planning on letting the tips grow a little extra in order to instead of just cutting the tops and having little 1/2" tips, I would have six cuttings that I could turn into viable clones! However, since I plan on topping again in a week or two I will at that point use those "tops" (or even side shoots, depending on how they are looking then) and take those cuttings for clones!

I'm not if I will change to 12/12 sooner or later in order to determine what I'm working with, since any females' clones would be well behind in growth with their original counterparts, and then revert to vegging... It will make a big difference if I get 1 or 2 females, OR if I get 4 or 5 females, out of these SIX - very limited w/ respect to time and also space, so until I know how many females I have I won't be able to plan exactly how I go about doing things - I guess make 2/3 plans, whether I have 1/2 or 3 or 4/5 females :good:

Ventilation for Dummies!

Ventilation for Dummies!

Hi everybody!

Just to bring everyone up to speed on what was going on - with the tent closed, the heat coming from the light (400 watt MH) was causing it to be too warm in the tent. This was causing me problems since I was not able to run the light and have the tent closed at the same time, as a result had to use the T5s majority of the time. I was surprised because almost everyone was saying that w/ a 400w heat wouldn't be an issue and airflow for the light wouldn't be necessary...

THE FIX!

So after a week of putzing around I decided I needed to take care of this, so I could use this wonderful light!!!

Luckily the reflector/hood, whatever you want to call it, I was given had vents on both sides (not on the top), allowing for easy access to airflow. With some help at the local garden store I picked up a 6 inch in-line blower, 25' of 6" ducting, a hydrofarm cooling kit/adapter and a couple of 6" to 4" ducting reducers!

I have a few vent holes throughout the growlab, so I decided on going with two on opposite sides. On one side I'm using the ventilation hole on the upper part of the wall, vs on the opposite side I'm using the ventilation hole on the lower part of the wall.

I attached the cooling kit adapter pieces to the sides of the reflector, then the 4" to 6" duct adapters on both ends, then on the exit side I just ran approx 6' of the ducting from the reflector to outside of the tent (upper hole). On the other side, (lower hole), I "proped" the in-line blower (188 cfm) in the ventilation hole and ran the ducting from the blower to the reflector/hood. So w/ the light and fan on, I get a decent airflow pulling air from outside the tent on the bottom of one side and on the top opposite end I have a steady stream of "warm" air coming out.

Now the tent is closed 100%, well I have some of the regular ventilation flaps that are on the tent rolled up, and the light has been on for more than the last 24 hrs and everything seems to be fine! I was even able to lower the light a bunch!

-SinSe

Hopefully SOMEONE found this interesting - if anyone has any questions or wants some help/ideas for venting their grow area I would be thrilled to help! After doing this I feel like I understand how a lot of these components work to a much better degree! I'm running out of things to do - next is some trellis and topping, etc., other than that, ODOR, so a filter or scrubber of some sort, and that would be similiar to the light airflow, I could combine them to both or just get another blower and phresh filter and use some more of the ventilation holes! :artist:

[EDIT] After I posted this, I figured I go snap some pictures for you guys. Everything is better with pictures to go along with it - I felt like I was short changing (and taking up bandwidth) ya'll - now it's better. I feel better! :whee::yay::huggg:

Here are a couple looking straight at the set-up - notice the silver ducting hanging through it:

Here are a couple showing how that blower is prop'd in the ventilation hole on the bottom side of the tent:

Here she is looking at her all closed up:

[/EDIT]

Last edited:
May 13th, 2011 - Day 25 (from seed)

May 13th, 2011 - Day 25 (from seed)

These were taken today, May 13th, 2011.

A few group shots:

Here are a couple close-ups showcasing some of the secondary growth - side shoots, etc., they don't look half bad when you click on them:

Here are a couple from the birds eye view, these ladies are all significantly wider than they are tall:

Side shot + bonus shot:

-SinSe

Taxman

Those things are monsters compared to mine. I'll post an update soon so you can see just how far ahead you are... that setup is NICE!

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

Looking nice, Pulling up a seat. :) Good luck my friend

Thanks TreeTop! Please continue to check it out, I've been really slacking the past few days but now I'm tending to them activily.

Those things are monsters compared to mine. I'll post an update soon so you can see just how far ahead you are... that setup is NICE!

Wow! Thanks Taxman, i just saw your post and you really made me smile, so I'm going to do an update again here over the next couple hours.

-SinSe

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
3 things but first I must say FUG YEAH MAN I love the attention to detail.

1. If you got a big ole rez I say get a Tri-Meter for it and be done with it. You will sleep better at night but with your mix the girls will tell ya what is needed.

2. Thanks to Babbabud (yes credit is due) I now only use PBP and Hygrozyme in veg instead of all the other stuff in the Bio line. You will soon find out I'm a die hard Bio whore but will save a dime or 2 when I can and judging by this picture you will see you won't miss a beat and has saved me a rounds worth of nutes over the course of the year can you say 450.00 !!!! Love Ya Babba's.

3. If you are using sprayers or spinners the Liquid Karma is some thick shit and if you see a girl suffering it might be a clog.? I've blended mine b4 I mixed in the past to get around this but that is simply something I have seen that I thought I would pass on.

Keep Us Posted
Mr.Wags

May 18th, 2011 - Day 30 (from seed)

May 18th, 2011 - Day 30 (from seed)

As promised, here are some pictures from earlier tonight!

Also, I have been putting it off for days, but I decided to take my reservoir out of there (pain in the arse), empty, clean it, and filled it w/ 10 gal of distilled water (0ppm?) from store and a couple more gallons of water I treated at home (25ppm). I'm going to flush them for a few hours, or half a day - then I'm going to remix some nutrients and bring the ppm up to about 1,200.

I will do a small update later when I add the nutrients - i'm sure right now they are loving the plain H2O! I think there may have been a little nute burn, some have a little yellowing right at the tips of the newer leaves (deficiency of some sort), and possibility of nute lock? Either way, this flush will clean'em out and get them nice and ready for their mega feeding!! Then I know they will be NOT nute locked at all, and any deficiencies will be history afterwards too!

These are day 30 from seed - it started off really slow, but now I'm where I want to be - also, I cut off the tops of the 4 plants in the corner, tried to do FIM style, maybe a couple will just be "topped," and grow 2 instead of 4 shoots. First time I've ever HST (high stress training) - hopefully it pays off - I was tempted to just leave them as xmas trees, however I think some HST & LST will really help with my yield!

A few group shots!

I am loving my roots!

Maybe see where I cut the main stems..?

The secondary growth, compactness, and overall bushyness is better than I could have hoped for!

I hope ya'll enjoyed these pics to those of you who have been steady following - for those who just tuned in, feel free to comment, ask, flame, or whatnot - I love IC Mag!

-SinSe

3 things but first I must say FUG YEAH MAN I love the attention to detail.

Thanx brotha!

1. If you got a big ole rez I say get a Tri-Meter for it and be done with it. You will sleep better at night but with your mix the girls will tell ya what is needed.

I have a TDS reader, electronic one; just drops of pH - this time around I'm going to stick to these, shit, I'm happy I got a thermometer in there now - so I can keep the temp/hum dialed in also! The Tri-Meter would be an awesome get!

2. Thanks to Babbabud (yes credit is due) I now only use PBP and Hygrozyme in veg instead of all the other stuff in the Bio line. You will soon find out I'm a die hard Bio whore but will save a dime or 2 when I can and judging by this picture you will see you won't miss a beat and has saved me a rounds worth of nutes over the course of the year can you say 450.00 !!!! Love Ya Babba's.

=) this is my first time indoors - outdoors never really did much feeding to be honest, if i did, it was prob some very basic plant food. I went w/ Botanicare based of a mag article, cause Stink Buddy had referenced that brand of nutes, where I took the plans for the system from - needless to say I'm pretty happy w/ the line!

3. If you are using sprayers or spinners the Liquid Karma is some thick shit and if you see a girl suffering it might be a clog.? I've blended mine b4 I mixed in the past to get around this but that is simply something I have seen that I thought I would pass on.

Keep Us Posted
Mr.Wags

I have the "EZ-Clone sprayers," the generic red ones. Earlier in the thread someone else mentioned that the LK is thick and left a slime at the bottom of the reservoir - which indeed there was quite a film when I was cleaning the res. Duely Noted though, and will keep a close eye on things!

-SinSe

Taxman

Real clean install man, I gotta say again. The root pictures are nuts -- I can only imagine what it looks like inside the trough. They all look so happy and healthy.

When I ran DWC, I noticed film and sediment at the bottom of my res too (Pure Blend Pro, Liquid Karma, etc.). Even now that I'm hand-watering coco I prefer to mix it up right away, otherwise if it sits for a day a lot of 'brown' will settle.

Gonna post an update shortly here that should make you proud. ;)

Feeding time!

Feeding time!

Real clean install man, I gotta say again. The root pictures are nuts -- I can only imagine what it looks like inside the trough. They all look so happy and healthy.

When I ran DWC, I noticed film and sediment at the bottom of my res too (Pure Blend Pro, Liquid Karma, etc.). Even now that I'm hand-watering coco I prefer to mix it up right away, otherwise if it sits for a day a lot of 'brown' will settle.

Gonna post an update shortly here that should make you proud. ;)

:tiphat: Thank you, thank you! :thank you:
Yeah, when they were babies I was pulling them out of the system multiple times a day, to check out the root growth - now, haven't been able to do that anymore - lol. The roots are now growing into the reservoir?! Shouldn't be an issue though!

The LK is pretty sludgy behaving/looking. I just mixed up some food for them.

The plants have been flushed for about 24 hours now w/ distilled water (0 ppm.) so I made my veg formula and working right now on bringing the ppm up to 1,500. The mix (in case anyone wants to know & for my own record keeping...):

550 mL - Pure Blend Pro Grow
250 mL - Cal-Mag Plus
125 mL - Liquid Karma, all those mixed in a 3L jug, topped off with filtered water.

I've added about half the container, I'm assuming I'm probably at about 800 or so, will check periodically and add a little at a time until i hit my mark. This is only the 2nd time I'm adding nutes, this was the first time I cleaned my reservoir out - all the previous nutes I just added on top of one another in the very beginning.

Now the only shitty thing is my partner wants to leave town for a couple weeks - ug, everything will be compromised, but I will figure something out.

-SinSe

(edit: btw, the plant that is in the back left of the group pictures, I trimmed 3 of the biggest fan leaves off; going to see if the secondary shoots enjoy that, if they do i might trim some of the others too. They are so bushy that a lot of the secondary growth is getting all mangled looking b/c they're working on growing through the fan leaves shielding them. I tried to push the big leaves down and get them wedged UNDER the shoots as to let more light get through.....I'm going to afix that trellis next and set it up so that every shoot is going through one of the holes - may be turning into a ScrOG canopy - I hope at least.)

Last edited:
Testing the reservoir contents:

Testing the reservoir contents:

hi everyone,

so I am just fine tuning my reservoir back to proper pH & ppm...

Just tested the ppm after adding about half my mixture (previous post), a little higher than I expected:

test #1 = 101 X 10 ppm. (1010)
test #2 = 102 x 10 ppm. (1020), (-480 from 1,500 ppm.)

The pH now was RED (using drops), which indicates a pH of "4.0 and Below." This is one of the issues I ran into a few weeks ago. Now I'm prepared w/ some GH pH Up, added approx 25 mL of the (1/4 of tall shot glass) 'ph up.'

I added some more of the mixture as well. Going to let the pump cycle a few times and then recheck what the stats are!

-SinSe

UPDATE!

UPDATE!

Hey everybody!

So, it has been a while! I actually had to go out of town for a couple weeks - basically left my aero system unattended for half a month - the person watching over it, didn't do anything but add water to the reservoir - water from the tap! =(

Before I left, not to toot my horn too hard, I was very proud of my garden and would have LOVED showing it off to anyone and everyone! When I got back, I opened the tent, and it was like a jungle in there, the plant canopy on the left side had grown into the light ("holy fire hazzard" as a buddy put it), so the tops were crisped/burned literally, the plants were SUPER bushy and 2ndary and 3rdary (etc.) growth was overcrowding. The trellis I had set up was useless since nothing was fed thruogh. So bottom line, had I not left things would have been much different.

I changed the light schedule to 12/12 (or 11/13, 10/14) the first day back. Now we are at end day 6 flowering.

I had to cut a lot of the tops off a couple of the plants, so there goes a couple OZs at least - however, after pruning the shit out of them and getting rid of all the dead, burned stuff and removing some of the lowest branches...things are looking better!

I will take some pictures later or asap - I can't wait to show you what the tent looks like now, LOL!

I'm still using the Pro Grow formula instead of the Pro Bloom (or Pro Flower?), I'm planning on getting the flowering nutrients to'mar, along with an HPS bulb for my lighting...this should really induce flowering - right now they have just a few hairs at less than half the nodes (after a week! slower than I remember). THE BEST NEWS in this post, 5 females out of 6 plants! I cut one of them down. I'm pretty sure the back left plant is the "Lemon bagseed," the rest were TGA's Space Jill - very very very happy that I got 4/5 females from the seed pack - awesome! Now the only thing I have to keep an eye on is that maybe a male part grows here or there, however that hasn't ever been an issue for me and also I don't see any interruption of light cycle or darkness interruptions, so no reason to herm. Gosh, I can't wait til these plants start really flowering :jump: Never have grown "true genetics" and I am estatic to see what becomes of these!

-SinSe!

Pictures from last week 06/14/2011.

Pictures from last week 06/14/2011.

Hey ya'll!

These are pretty poor quality due to being taken with my cell phone camera. I will take some decent shots, in fact there are some on the camera from a few days ago, and get those up as soon as possible.

These are from 06/14/2011, so needless to say since then they have already started there "bloom-stage-growth-spurt" and aside from some of the bigger shoots growing right into the light, there are pistals/white hairs at almost every node. Initially, around the time these were taken, there were just a few hairs total (like 6 hairs out of 6 plants), I was able to grab a snapshot of one of the main ones! :)

Between these and the previous photos, I came back from vacation (2 weeks) and the whole tent was basically overgrown, I had to cut off a lot of main branches, tops, and there was a large amount of dead, burned growth. Cleaned up reasonably and think I will still have a "yield."

Went from just 2-3 sites like this to having 5/6 females (only 1 male) and 10 days into flowering one can see the beginning formation of buds and there are at least a couple of hairs at all the nodes!

-SinSe

Bloods

jo man
you have so awsome plants going on ...
sry maybe i missed it but whitch strains are you growing?
i want to say enything helpfull but aero,hydro is a fucking mystery to my man :p
keep the pics coming
bloods