What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first attempt to grow anything - ever.

G

Hey Jet,
Glad to see you heading in the right direction. Those plants might produce some good smoke after all. If you get an hps from HD, you can also use your CFLs for additional light and that cab will be up and running before you know it. I have a veg cab made out of a cardboard box for seedlings and clones that works unbelievable. Cheap grows can produce great smoke when done right, and you will only get better with time. Good luck!
GS

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
If you keep the plant size down....You could do 4...Veg your sativa for like a 1day, then right to flower. The heavier indicas you could veg longer. The problem with a 150W is it just doesn't have the intensity to shine deep into the canopy of leaves and tops. If you keep um short, then you might get some pretty decent buds. Suppliment light with you CFL's and you'll be doing better. If you put a piece of glass between the lamp and the plants...to seal the light off from the grow chamber...then make another couple of holes in the back and a fan to exhaust the light chamber. If your temps are already in range then screw all that. Keep the plants no closer than the back of your hand can stand for a minute under the lamp. Definitely use a remote ballast...the transformer in it gets hot too. Think about doing a SCRoG (Screen of Green). Here's immortal's thread using a small cab, SCRoG, 150W HPS
Link> 150 watt Bogglegum SCROG

You're getting there... :wave:

JetUsUp

see the big problem is money. and glass is pretty expensive. so im kinda thinking no glass.
i need a bright light that is easy to install and wiring is simple. i can solve the heat problems.

the big problems are cost, installation, and extra energy costs.

JetUsUp

i noticed that it was getting a bit warmer inside the cab so i switched the intake fan to exhaust. so now they both are pulling air out.

packn2puff

Veteran
JetUsUp said:
with a cab made out of cardboard how can you support the weight of any kind of lights?

You can make a PVC frame...Schedule 40 PVC would work good. :chin:

G

Cardboard is stronger than you think. I had this veg cab for over a year and its as good as the first day I made it. I currently have 4 clones under a GE 20w full spectrum aquarium light, which I am convinced is one of the best methods for cloning. I have 5 seedlings under a 23w 5100k blue CFL, which I will change out with a 42 watt CFL when they get alittle bigger. Mylar does wonders with CFLs and is worth the investment. The most expensive piece is the ge plant bulb which was $15 bucks. You can make a flowering cab with the same setup. I would suggest buying the box from the ups store, the boxes are super strong and they have many sizes to fit your growing situation and there under $10. Don't worry about heat with the cardboard cab, cardboard has a burn tempature of over 350'.
GS

JetUsUp, I think it has been mentioned before but one of the best el cheapo upgrades you can make is to get a couple of those metallic emergency blankets, they are almost as good as mylar(again I said almost) and they are like 3 bucks each.

JetUsUp

yeah i would like to get them. i think i will the next time im out and i have some money. but right now i have none. so that will be my next investment.

<Green - I cant believe that you have all of that with only 1 CFL bulb!

G

Jet> IMHO, for the money, you're still probably better off going with the CFL's and maybe getting a 70 HPS to throw with em during flower.

Sometimes I think packn2 IS McGuyver....................

JetUsUp

yeah its been a bit, i had some computer problems. my cat got inside my pc and knocked my motherboard out of its slot. so i had to get a new one. i keep the case open because of it getting too hot in there. :joint:
but anywho on with the update.
i also had some problems this week with my cat getting into my cab too and moving my plants around. little guy has been messing everything up! :badday: becasue he moved them around he made some of them touch the lights which ofcourse is not good. so one has some severe heat damage.

the sativa?

my real big one that has taken off very nicely took very minimal damage compaired to the one.

its a little blurry but i was lifting up one of its big fan leaves to show the tiny bit on damage it took.

other than those two cases things have been looking great.

ive been using nutes minimally. and ive been keeping temps around 76 or so. the two exhaust fans are working great to keep the air supplied with clean fresh air.

G

Jet, they look way better than they did, GREAT JOB!! Too bad about the cat and the heat damage, but stuff happens. Keep it up Bro!

G

Lookin good Jet
They do indeed look better than at 1st.. Keep up the great work and stankbud great help man.. Thats why i like the people here. Cos peeps like stankbud..hats off to ya. peace...

Sack's First Outdoor Grow
New picz are up LQQK see... 4th day 12/12

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

packn2puff

Veteran
Watch them cats in your grow...ask stankbud...decided to have a feast one day. :canabis:

Knocked my motherboard out of it's slot...how the...I'm not even gonna ask how that is possible. Somehow me thinks another component like video card or sound card..It is possible that kitty learned to use tools...now he needs a 1/4" hex nut driver or a #2 phillips. :yoinks: I'm just razzin ya man..The MB is the big PC board everything else plugs into, usually attached to chassis with at least 6 fasteners. :violin:

It's working now, that's all that counts. :woohoo:

Looks like they are all doing well exept that one sativa...keep it up..Be real easy on the water till those roots populate the soil...make the roots hunt for water...the plant will be much better for it in the long run. Leave the roots soaking and rotting, hardly growing and the plant suffers...I know it can be hard not to do anything...you want to help...but trust anyone here when they tell you that you will kill them with kindness. Extra water and nutes just pisses the plant off and will not help it in anyway...like the Price is Right...as close as you can get without going over...and she'll show you she's pissed, by stunting growth and blemishing her leaves. :nanana:

Looking good...only the sativa in dire straits

My brother used to call me McGuyver...funny... :bigeye:

JetUsUp

well it seems as though since i started watering regularly the plants have experienced untold growth. nearly doubling their size in 5 days.

and yes i do mean motherboard. i have a McGuyver rigged pc. most of my compontents are either hanging or rigged up some how so they bairly stay. hell my disk drive doesnt work anymore. my nephew stuffed it full of chips&dip 2 days ago and i havnt seen the need or desire to replace it.
ive saved my hard drive from complete failure about 10 times now. using the old "freezer method", and the "drop it and hope it fixes it" method too among a few other.

packn2puff

Veteran
Don't let me hold ya up watering..if it's working good for ya, that's all that counts. :wave:

Dude that PC sounds rough... :badday: