What's new

My experience as a commercial grower in the recreational scene

JKD

Veteran
I worry that shady operators will undermine the legalization 'experiment' and provide ammunition to those opposed to it to bring it down. All around the world people are watching and hoping it goes well and that their own country will follow suit.

bentom187

Veteran
What we have today is mercantilism , not true free market capitalism. If true capitalism were allowed there would be no laws regarding cannabis or its sale.No one would be in jail for its use or have their assets seized.
Today you have a regulation aspect in which politicians get their money for not using their military/police upon people just making a living or fulfilling a need. If the politicians don't get paid for your licensing and registration ,then you get raided. That is real organized crime folks.

The industry, or any industry, would either benefit society and get paid for their hard work or die out in the case of unadulterated capitalism.

If you happen to be part of the aristocracy today ,Like banks or auto makers, you get bailed out instead of making way side for new companies and better products that a society demands and finds useful. The system today is a detriment to society and does not benefit anyone except the business that was supposed to fail and the politicians who have the monopoly on violence.

Capitalism Is Anarchy = Anarcho-Capitalism
[YOUTUBEIF]_rjhJcUBRKg[/YOUTUBEIF]

Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours
[YOUTUBEIF]ahMGoB01qiA[/YOUTUBEIF]

We all know on a personal level what is good or bad for ourselves, saying you need someone to do the deciding for you is a moral hazard.
I'm not sure of any adult who would leave the decision making of what house they need or car or type of medical treatment they need to the mob. Why is it left to the mob in D.C. ?
We even wonder why it takes so much time and money to change the law regarding cannabis , well its because they are not satisfied with their cut of the money ,their cut will get bigger when established companies give it a go. Then we will gripe about how its not fair and capitalism is evil.
The answer is simple, get rid of the useless middle man instead of begging for their acceptance. Then vote for the best service and goods with your money.
What you will end up with is the best products and services for the least amount of money possible. All the while making sure nothing is wasted and the planet isn't raped for making stuff no one wants or needs. You will waste less money ,and have more left over for true charity if your heart desires it or you can afford it.

What we have today is mercantilism , not true free market capitalism. If true capitalism were allowed there would be no laws regarding cannabis or its sale.No one would be in jail for its use or have their assets seized.
Today you have a regulation aspect in which politicians get their money for not using their military/police upon people just making a living or fulfilling a need. If the politicians don't get paid for your licensing and registration ,then you get raided. That is real organized crime folks.

The industry, or any industry, would either benefit society and get paid for their hard work or die out in the case of unadulterated capitalism.

If you happen to be part of the aristocracy today ,Like banks or auto makers, you get bailed out instead of making way side for new companies and better products that a society demands and finds useful. The system today is a detriment to society and does not benefit anyone except the business that was supposed to fail and the politicians who have the monopoly on violence.

Capitalism Is Anarchy = Anarcho-Capitalism
[YOUTUBEIF]_rjhJcUBRKg[/YOUTUBEIF]

Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours
[YOUTUBEIF]ahMGoB01qiA[/YOUTUBEIF]

We all know on a personal level what is good or bad for ourselves, saying you need someone to do the deciding for you is a moral hazard.
I'm not sure of any adult who would leave the decision making of what house they need or car or type of medical treatment they need to the mob. Why is it left to the mob in D.C. ?
We even wonder why it takes so much time and money to change the law regarding cannabis , well its because they are not satisfied with their cut of the money ,their cut will get bigger when established companies give it a go. Then we will gripe about how its not fair and capitalism is evil.
The answer is simple, get rid of the useless middle man instead of begging for their acceptance. Then vote for the best service and goods with your money.
What you will end up with is the best products and services for the least amount of money possible. All the while making sure nothing is wasted and the planet isn't raped for making stuff no one wants or needs. You will waste less money ,and have more left over for true charity if your heart desires it or you can afford it.

Well said.

There is no law but that of supply and demand.

Theoretically one could place an advertisement for services to poke someone in the eye with a stick then f★★k their wife for a million dollars. Obviously no one wants or needs this service so it would fail.

Conversely men and women make and lose fortunes and freedoms for dead flowers and powders every day and no amount of "law enforcement" will or can stop them.

Capitalism is fine. The belief that one should be rewarded proportionally to their effort and contribution and taxed equally.

The problem is corporatism/fascism where a company can make obscene profits and pay relatively low/no tax and be held to higher esteem than the government that supposedly runs the country.

Why do companies like Apple and Starbucks pay so little tax? Because they donate money to political parties and use the leverage as a kind of de facto corruption.

bentom187

Veteran
Well the only reason people owe a tax is for the spending habbits of a middle man. Get rid of the middle man and there will be no tax advantages for anyone. Because there will be no tax.
Only direct charity to people who need it. If people believe taxes are charity. The only companies that would survive are those that society needs and wants.Profits encourage and enable people to give back to society.

Other than that I agree with your statement completely.

Your lack of knowledge is still evident in your posts. If you hope to survive in a future medical market, it would behoove you to work on growing a quality product. In a flooded medical market, that organic grown og, not kali mist, is going to get a higher ticket over your bullshit unflushed chronic that doesn't even burn. Honestly what you described wouldn't even sell here, you would have to turn it into hash.

Good luck achieving your goals

Dude, I grow some pretty good weed after 2 and a half years. It's not rocket science. I have the finances, and the comprehension, what I may lack is the access to some of these rarer strains; hence why I came to Colorado this weekend. Not for 420...but for opportunities to network. It's so hard to deal with people who can't even comprehend simple English. Flooded medical market? There is no medical where I live as I explained. This isn't for medical anyway this for recreation. I don't care about that market, it's too whiny and sanctimonious, plus I don't care about sick people I'm not related to or friends with. Sorry. This isn't for fun, this a carefully analyzed and well funded market invasion at an opportune time. Capitalism in its purest form. I could be selling widgets for all I care and honestly that's how I view it, it just so happens to be something I use and like. Of course nuted out chronic isn't going to sell like that in a med state genius, you have better weed and more selection. If you had chosen to actually read what I said and not try to come off as the typical high and mighty grower you might have seen that. In my market, which I not only have the education, experience and secular background to analyze, plus the wherewithal to actually go and sample things from different places, your carefully grown organic kush will be passed over for nuted chronic 9/10 times if the chronic is $100 less. I see it happen all the time. Kali mist was just mentioned because it's finicky and takes 12 weeks, it's a connoisseur strain not commercial; the point was nobody is going to pay $100 extra for even the greatest and most carefully grown dank when there's stuff that will do the job for cheaper. They might cop a gram on top of their other purchase....but otherwise no.

What do you think sells faster in the liquor store I own....The regular Hennessey at 25.99 ...or the Paradis at 99.99? The top shelf....is always on sale because only a certain few customers have the FINANCES to spend 100 to get drunk when 25 will do. The sale price barely sells and has in fact become the ACTUAL price. Like I said earlier, they will buy that Hennessey for $25 and maybe one of those little 100 ml bottles of Paradis for 5.00 just to taste it. Recreational smokers have more money and less excuses, and until weed is covered by Afflac or Kaiser there are no rebates going over here and no donations, so it doesnt benefit me to sell the best dank unless it can be produced for and in similar quantities as something 60% as good. Even if yours gets me higher I can buy more of the cheap stuff and it becomes 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. I don't want to sound like a dick...but while weed certainly has a medical application, that whole medical culture comes off as really sanctimonious and whiny sometimes. I prefer to be the Walmart of weed to regular Joes than the whole foods to medical hippies. Nobody who regularly shops at Walmart goes to whole foods, but people who shop whole foods still go in walmart.

The way to really take over...and this a little marketing 101 for you...is to do what I'm trying to do. Be the first person with a shitload of great product to unload at cheap prices to drive the other competitors out. Sell almost as good for 1/2 the price and you shock the market. You drive out the garbage and force the other sellers to either accept your source or go out of business; the niche "organic" market will survive largely but not without a major chunk of business lost. Sell good kush here for 200-250 a zip and you'll put everyone out of business, even the people mailing weed here, it eliminates the risk of not knowing you're hot or losing shipments to chance. It's just business gmoney...never personal.

Unfortunately this is all to common here.

The cream always rises to the top.

There are many other organized crime groups involved in the industry here. Not just the Russians.

Although they seem very prevalent. If most people knew how, and what was done to the crops they would not buy it. Twice the price as medical, with half the benefits. :)

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
your carefully grown organic kush will be passed over for nuted chronic 9/10 times if the chronic is $100 less. I see it happen all the time.

...and this a little marketing 101 for you....

lightly fed organic herb is always cheaper to produce than over nuted mineral herb.

obviously, one uses a lot of nutrients (which cost money, again, obviously), and the organic uses very little.

having said that, and having seen you have not considered this fact, pretty much makes what you wrote wrong.

outdoor, lightly fed organic = cheapest way to produce. end of story.

basically, you are in no position to be fronting and trying to teach anyone any 101 classes, unless it is in hubris that is.

:tiphat:

Last edited:
I'm glad I got you guys talking about this. First we will all know, then the consumer will discover these things soon enough. I call for a federation of growers who adhere to the highest of standards. It's time to start an alliance and when you are apart of this alliance you will be recognized by the consumer as a grower/dispensary/collective who guarantees that their product is grown organically, cared for start to finish (including curing standards), and that the grow operation is sensitive and active in reducing environmental impact.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I'm glad I got you guys talking about this. First we will all know, then the consumer will discover these things soon enough. I call for a federation of growers who adhere to the highest of standards. It's time to start an alliance and when you are apart of this alliance you will be recognized by the consumer as a grower/dispensary/collective who guarantees that their product is grown organically, cared for start to finish (including curing standards), and that the grow operation is sensitive and active in reducing environmental impact.
sounds good in theory, but i'm not sure the industry has reached that point yet.

Whats needed are real standards and regulation.

THC content, pesticide residue tests, organic certification that sort of thing.

Unfortunately many consumers dont care about what goes into their regular products let alone cannabis.

purple_man

Veteran
ROFL!

check the appologets, starting to explain they been doin it for 2,5 years and they lack the accesss to the elites, but everything else is dialed in... what a bummer none willing to share the "elites" or proper botanical knowledge with the sharky sharks :)

blessss
ps.: wait for the so called insiders holding big $ designing the "rules n regulations"...

Jhhnn

Veteran
Meh. I think it's important to remember a few things.

First off, a legalized retail market will not behave the same way as an illegal or quasi-legal market. Not at all. We don't really know what to expect over time.

Next, it's important to remember that this is all new. Legal retail growing only began Jan 1, so they're all scrambling to put out product as fast as possible to cover anticipated demand. The market is still supply constrained, but it won't be for long.

Retailers are planning on an enormous increase in demand. If that demand is less than anticipated, there will be a huge shakeout. There are limits to this market once established, what I see as a near vertical demand curve- no matter how much is produced, there's only so much demand. When they start bumping up against that, prices will tumble & retailers will need to distinguish themselves in other ways to survive. If Joe's average priced weed is considerably better than Larry's at the same price, Larry will need to up his game to compete, one way or the other.

The whole thing will change again in October, when the requirement that shops grow 70% of what they sell falls away, which may well have profound consequences. Some shops may not grow at all but rather sell weed they purchase wholesale from growers & processors, tailoring selection to clientele. It'll be like going to the liquor store where even the best is mass produced.

In short, I don't expect the current rush to just get stuff on the shelves to be indicative of what will happen over time. Producers who think that it will are likely to be taking the high hard one before it's settled out. Growers who can produce better product at a given price point will win out.

waveguide

Veteran
that's the united states for ya.. everyone is so surprised when anything presenting itself as a trustworthy institution is found to be corrupt..

the next thing that happens is some people will speak out to isolate the incident.. oh, you know.. it was those russians...

then, everybody goes back to feeling disappointed but comfortable with the institution>

me, i say, keep an eye on those folks in step two. they're always the same folks, or if they're not, they're always the same techniques. and remember, the medicine wagon (or the collusion they represent in the analogy) always has an accomplice (or ten) in the crowd.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Yipes.
Such appallingly ignorant posts about capitalism.

Capitalism is neither good or bad. It's is simply someone risking their money to make a return on investment.
Everything you see, taste or touch was produced by this method.
Some work hard to apply knowledge and good practices to produce the best product they can to satisfy demand and earn repeat business creating a 'name brand'.
Some don't and will sell only once to the unlucky or ill informed.
It's a hard way to do business and most will fail.

All those regulations didn't keep Firestone from making tires that blowout at 70 mph. or GM from selling cars that switch off and rendering the power steering useless and regulations won't eliminate schwag weed either.
Fast buck artists don't give a shit about regulation.

Think about that while you're having a Margarita mixed with a no-name tequila that has cheap grain alcohol added to stretch the fermented product out. Nobody complains that the cheap stuff doesn't taste like 1800 because it's not supposed to.

That is why the Cuervo 1800 Margarita costs more. Now, If they put rotgut in an 1800 bottle and try to pass it off for the real thing, then you don't have capitalism anymore.

There's capitalism, and there is fraud. It pays to know the difference.

LEF

Veteran

I know how that usually goes

first we let those come in, then those act like mafia, and we have a hard time getting rid of them... making huge profits off our asses

:)

I might be wrong though

Latest posts

Latest posts