What's new

My Box Set Up

aeburnside

Lifeless, you've got some big props from me. One of the biggest advantages to this setup seems to be it's use of general (not weed-specific) parts. There's no need to buy ballasts and mylar and inline fans when you can accomplish it with CFLs, white paint and PC fans. You've got a great cheap setup that doesn't require more than a few trips to home depot, which will help those who are more paranoid among us.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Lifeless, about your "Bubblegum in a box", are those from seeds or did you start with clones ready to top and put into flower shortly after? I would love to be able to do something like that from seed because I don't know how to clone.

LifeLess

Veteran
Sarm i was thinking of doing a small hydro run inside one of my boxes. Like you said dont wanna get bord. Thnx for stopping in and checking things out.

Addicted I still say the same thing everytime i look in the box. Thnx

I`bacc I average between 100 amd 120 dry grams from each box. perpetual would be easy to do with these boxes.

Thnx for stopping in catman. I just came up with a good working carbon scrubber for these boxes. Best part is it mounts in the upper box on the inside. Im gonna build one and get some pics up from the build. Best thing i like about these boxes is there super easy to move in a hurry. I just had new carpet put in my house with 2 boxes at week 6 bloom. I slid them from room to room as they went and they didnt have a clue.

kish a box would fit nice in a 3 x 2 x 3.5 ft area. 2 inch pvc elbows one on each side bottom box yes. I use 2 inch but you could easily go with 3. It wouldnt hurt. I use the same temp for veg and bloom 2700k work great for both. Keepem close and youll get killer buds.

jahblessallus Im not sure on that bulb sorry. Someone here on icmag im sure knows something.

Thnx again mjboy

aeburnside Thats what made me build this box. Paro over here. total cost w/bulbs is about 90-100 dollars. Best to keep it simple.

Virginharvester I started with cuts and vegged them out top a few time and switched. You can use seeds but you need to sex before putting into there final containers. My best runs with this box were from seeds. If the lights are burning the tips of the leaves there close enough.

whats up dude.

Heres a recent pic of my 1st run with a hid light. 600 watt hps. The boxes are still running also. The 600 run is making me super paro. If i need to cover up in a hurry i cant. With the boxes i can move in a matter of minutes because theres nothing stationary about them. All self contained. Peace LL

AdDiCtEd2BeAnZ

LifeLess That looks like some killer Smoke off that 600.I can smell it from here ..theres nothing wrong with a little paronoia...Keeps us on our toes..Could you post how often and with what you feed those baby's..

K

khaleel

mjboy said:
whoa whats that ?

this is Chrystal - a northern lights white widow reback from nirvana seeds. grown 100% under floros. that's the kind of trich coverage floros can get. mmm. lol

lifeless that 600 watt run looks great! :nono:

kish

i just finished building one of these...its only for veg and is a single 30 gal tub. im amazed at how much airflow i get from the two, 2" intake holes and one 3.5" exhaust fan!

also, for this box i used four 2' floros - 6500k - mounted directly to bottom of the lid.

its working great for all my rooted cuttings!

just started building my bloom box with the same 30 gal tubs...i have a four light vanity fixture but im just not sure if i want to use four 42watt or four 55watt cfl's...

i'm thinking ill use the 42s since it has obviously been proven that they work very, very well...

oh, and i can't wait to see your carbon scrubber!..i've a few ideas of my own

LifeLess

Veteran
Addicted in veg i use ff grow big and in bloom i use ff big bloom. In bloom week 1-2 grow big 1 tsp per gallon. week 3-7 big bloom 2 TBL per gallon. The rest get fresh water. Seems to be working for me.

khaleel Thnx. thats is some nice lookin snow there

kish thats great. Ya deff get some airflow from that little fan. Im just wondering what im gonna get with the carbon filter hooked up. Im gonna have to build a beta size and test from there for best scrub and best airflow. Ill start tommorow and should ahve something in the next few weeks. Mine looks like a air mask Never know the 55`s might work well too. Go for it test it out. Keep us posted. GL Peace LL

spencetron

Hey lifeless, you have inspired me to start my first real grow using your method. But I'm using 2x42w 2700k, 3x26 2700k, and 3x26 6500k lights. I don't think ventilation will be much of a problem, I keep my apartment rather cold. But I still want to use two fans. But I have a few questions: How do you wire your computer fans? Do you have them running off battery? Whats the cfm of those fans you are using? Are all the passive air intakes on the bottom tub? And what other strains have you used this method on? Thanks man!

LifeLess

Veteran
spencetron your gonna love it. I wire up my comp fans using a 12v DC adapter. When you do make sure its spinning in the right direction if not switch the wires. Im not sure of the cfm of these fans. There standard 3.5 in ch comp fans. I have 2 passive intakes. one on each side of the bottom box. If your planning on using 2 fans you might wanna go with 3 or 4 inch intakes. Other strains Juliet,Pg13,c99,White Rhino, Nl#5,White Widow,a13,Schrom,Cush theres a few others i cant think of. Must nota been that good. Hope things work out for ya. GL LL

clay

Hey Lifeless,

I just started my version of your cabs. It's my first grow ever, and I realize that makes me sound totally newbie (which I am technically), but i'm a very WELL-READ newbie. I've read thru this thread at least 3 times, plus Dr.BudGG, Red_Greenery, inefectualize's high-pod, blue-adepts stealth cab, Thunderkel, etc...(although this one was my true inspiration-starter). Check out my grow in my signature.
It's CFLS, in soil, organic as much as possible, inside rubbermaid bins.

Anyway, my current question is regarding height of plantlet when going to the switch. i know with Dr.BudGG that he has been doing it long enough to have his numbers "dialed" in, but I've seen everywhere from "flip at 2inches" from DrBud to "veg to 11-13inches" in your thread.

I'm growing what I guess is referred to as "bagseed" around here... some a couple of seeds I found in some good herb a few months back.

So how do I know when I should flip to 12/12? I have one plantlet who is about 2-3 wks ahead of the others, but it is still only about MAYBE 2-3 inches tall... Originally I thought a very squatty plant with short distance between nodes was good, but after sitting here all day, re-reading the "48 hrs" thread by DrBud all day, and looking at his Geishas, they were tall and thin which allowed good light penetration...so I don't know anymore.

Also, I started out with ONLY 6100k "blue spectrum" bulbs installed. No mixing of other colors. 2 days ago I added one 42w 2700k bulb. i plan to maybe add another next week and then consider flipping to 12/12.

I have some Y connectors. Should I run all 6 bulbs when its time for flower? Do I still want some of the 6100k 'blue' bulbs in there when I go to flower? Seems hot with just the one extra 42w in there right now.

C

Cozy Amnesia

clay, I too was inspired by Life Less's work, and can help you with your question.

Although I grow in 50s and not 30s, I can say for sure DO NOT let the plants get TOO big! Mine are hitting the top (well, the bottom of the top container...you know what I mean) although I've been able to pull must of them back a little. My strain is a heavy stretcher though, so numbers aren't going to help you too much, but I'll fill you in anyways -- I vegged for 37 days until they where about a foot tall, that was with LST.

Here's some pics. This is when I started flowering:

And this is what they look liked like 3 weeks into flower:

Just keep in mind that once you flip to 12/12, most strains will give a good stretch before they stop growing and start budding. Good luck!

LifeLess

Veteran
Them are looking noce cozy. Maybe some LST on those.

Welcome Clay. Id say max height you would want with any strain would be 12 inchs. Some smaller. With only 4 plants per box i have to get them as bushy as i can. I took a look at yer plants and it looks like they need to get a bit bigger. Have they reached maturity? lets work on getting them bushy then well get the buds going. How old are your plants? Peace LL

yogadude

Hey Lifeless..this is a fantastic thread..I have been building a rubbermaid box using your design so I thought I would post this here..sorry if this has been asked already but it is a very long thread.

Why do you let the plants grow towards the light instead of putting something under the plants when they are shorter and then lowering them as they stretch? Is there any benefits, when using CFL's that is, of using this method as opposed to keeping the tops close the the lights from the get-go and then lowering them as they grow?

thanks much!

yogadude

LifeLess

Veteran
Whats up Yoga. When my plants are small i do put them on a rubber coated rubber rack to boost hem to the lights. As they grow there moved down. If the plants are kept to far from the lights they get to much stretch. Heres a picture of the rack i use. Its rubber coated so i dont get rust.

I also wanted to put up some pics of my 1st Hps run. Here they are today at day 55 getting the chop in 3 days. Peace LL

yogadude

Looks awesome Lifeless..good luck with the chop.

I should get one of those rubber racks..for a long time I have been using old (and sometimes not so old) books to raise and lower plants..it helps create a good canopy if you have different strains but is a major pain in the ass!

Did you ever make a small carbon filter for your CFL box? I know you posted a pic of the filter itself but I didnt see if you posted a pic of it working with your RM box.

peace

yoga

spencetron

Are light traps required?

Are light traps required?

Hello again. I am still constructing my box and Ive ran into a little snag. Because I have so many lights in my cab, I have to do as much as possible to keep air flowing. But that plan interferes with the light traps I originally was planning to put in. So far I have a 130cfm computer fan directly attached to the top tub and two 6"x6" square filtered passive air intakes on the bottom tub to ensure good flow. I guess my real question is: How important are the light traps? Would the loss in light be that significant through the hole cut for the fan, and the filtered intakes? Im going to lowes tomorrow to see if I can rig anything up, but I dont know if the 3" pvc T light trap will fit in my top tub with all the lights. Thanks!

Hell yeah man! NICE! I am going to be using a set up based on your design. I am however planning on adding a smaller 3rd rubbermaid (way smaller) on the top and mounting a fan on the lid of that. Then I will simply fill that third container with a bunch of activated carbon in a pantyhose and that will be my scrubber. What do you think about that idea?
Looking forward to smoking on some homegrown!

Peace :joint: