What's new

MrDank's Medicine Closet

MrDank

Veteran
After 2 years, I have finally decided to throw away my coco and go back to my Promix/Sunshine mix that I was doing before.

I don't know what the problem has been, but with my *mostly* organic feeding schedule in coco hasn't been working out the way I would like. No matter how hard/long I flush, I can't get it to burn clean. There is something going on that I can not solve. I have tried flushing for 25 days, dumping gallons upon gallons of water through each container, run-off ppm being exactly what it is going in, and it still won't burn to a nice white ash. With my old schedule, I was getting 30% more heavier yields, my product burned to a perfect white ash, and I didn't even flush near as hard as I do now. Either way, I just bought a bale of ProMix and some Fox Farm Happy From dry ferts to amend into my medium. Somewhere in this thread I show a bowl of smoked Blowfish that has bright white ash, and that was my final deciding factor to switch back. That and the HUGE colas I used to grow. Sometimes my buds would dwarf a bottle of Earth Juice, and I haven't had yields like that since switching to coco

I almost cried looking through the first 30 or so pages of this thread lol. I have been shorting myself the past 2 or so years. I do like how eco-friendly coco is compared to a peat based medium, but having A grade buds compared to B+ grade buds is worth being a bit less eco-friendly.

My plants would veg faster in coco, but also stretch more in coco. I could get larger plants in smaller pots with coco, but I would also have to water more often. Plants would also stretch more and didnt' have as strong branches as my old recipe either.

Old recipe = stronger plants, heavier yields, cleaner product, less work, and picture perfect plants

New coco recipe = faster veg, smaller root mass, weaker branches, flushing nightmare (black ash no matter how hard I flush), smaller yields, and picture perfect plants

I also have a bunch of new strains I want to show everybody when grown proper

Super Lemon Haze
Lemon Skunk
Face-Off OG Kush
Poison OG Kush
Sour Kush
Smelliot
Dog Shit
Catpiss
Jacks Cleaner 2
Purple Indica x Skunk/Haze
Purple Urkle
Crown Royal
Blue Dream
Hawaiian Sativa x Cotton Candy
Williams Wonder
...and a bunch more :)

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
guess thats one way to solve the problem. happy new year man. MSG was incredible.

got the hawaiian candy, ssh #2 and ghost OG rooted. still waiting on the others.

hope the switch works out well. talk to you soon brother!

S

SicKSKills

I too noticed the black ash thing with coco and organic based fert regimens, then I switched to canna nutes and I get bomb white ash with a 7 day flush and chunks like never before in soil.

Ive been switching back and forth from ocean forest soil and coco for 3 years now and its hard for me to decide which one to keep using as each has its pros and cons. Soil is unbeatable for personal headstash, but I think coco has a major edge in commercial production with its added speed and bag appeal.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good to have you back, MrDank! :D

I'm running coco for the 1st time after sheparding the micro herd the last 10 yrs.
I've already decided to root the cuts in pro-mix. I'll ride this coco out, kinda getting in to being anal w/ the meters. :rolleyes:

I plan to recycle the coco into a 50/50 blend w/ my pro-mix. Hell, it ain't even pro-mix anymore, I recycle and build back up w/ castings & compost.
Using the Canna coco nutes, but I hate dealing w/ effluent, I'll be back to organics. :smoke:

<~Hades~>

it is nice to see you back mr dank, actually about to run a bunch of your ssdh in the next coming runs, came back every so offen to see if you was still kicking but this thread been dry,,,,,, used the same coco with pbp for 2 years, bugs finally got me back to promix and now i have to water 7 gallon smart pots and they stay wetter longer,,,,,,, :dance013: goodluck on your new formation:tiphat:

MrDank

Veteran
I too noticed the black ash thing with coco and organic based fert regimens, then I switched to canna nutes and I get bomb white ash with a 7 day flush and chunks like never before in soil.

Ive been switching back and forth from ocean forest soil and coco for 3 years now and its hard for me to decide which one to keep using as each has its pros and cons. Soil is unbeatable for personal headstash, but I think coco has a major edge in commercial production with its added speed and bag appeal.

I wonder what the deal is with organics and coco? I actually bought a set of canna nutrients for coco, and haven't opened it yet. I probably won't. only because I absolutely love the nutrients I use and know how to use them

Have you tried a peat/coco mix? I use a 1/3 peat, 1/3 coco, 1/3 compost mix and have had great results with it. I do really like coco, but just for moms and young vegging.

M

manchild

Great too hear your going back too promix/Sunshine mix.I also grow or was growing in coco and everything you and the other members say is quite true as far as veg time and frequent feedings.I really dont think its so much your organic recipe as it is coco sodium content.I had more bugs with coco indoors than I ever had with soil base mediums like promix outdoors.I also am through with coco as of November last year.
You have another great selection of clones.What is the face off og all about?Can't say I ever heard of that clone.

MrDank

Veteran
Face-off is a tightly held S1 from OG Kush. She finishes in less than 60 days and will melt your face off with it's potency

I love OG Kush so much, I will keep every good version I get my hands on. Mainly for fear of getting tired or tolerance build up from one particular cut. I have the Ghost, SFV, Triangle Kush, Poison, Face-Off. I can get the Fire and Legend cuts but am in no rush for them. BUT, if it would only be a matter of driving across town for one of those cuts, I'll be there in 10 minutes (stoner time)

<~Hades~>

the problem with coco and dry organic nutes aka top dressing , is the cation exchange....The products like top dressed guano will get washed threw and not charge the coco like liqiud nutes and liquid organics.......... stuff like PBP or gh organic bottled base nutes work...But messing with top dressing and organics teas , dont work so hot,

I remeber N~specta going on about the organics and coco beds not working as well in his trails compared to the bud grown in soil,

Also Jah on Couchlock cafe tried and failed becuase the stuff just does not have time to get absorbed into the coco fibers

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I was thinking that maybe organic material can just never get properly flushed out of coco. because it's so porous, maybe the EJ binds to individual coco fibers on a molecular level.
I know some people that use an extremely heavy chem regimen in coco, and their ash comes out white.

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
2 things
1.Mr dank thanks for keeping it dank ..Im an og lover myself and im looking for that keeper 2 that will finish in 7-8 weeks ..keep on collecting those cuts

2.Using coco for top soil ? will it keep the medium wet for longer ? i was looking for something 2 top my soil with that can hold some nutes ..and get good results..

Chem&M

Face-off is a tightly held S1 from OG Kush. She finishes in less than 60 days and will melt your face off with it's potency

I love OG Kush so much, I will keep every good version I get my hands on. Mainly for fear of getting tired or tolerance build up from one particular cut. I have the Ghost, SFV, Triangle Kush, Poison, Face-Off. I can get the Fire and Legend cuts but am in no rush for them. BUT, if it would only be a matter of driving across town for one of those cuts, I'll be there in 10 minutes (stoner time)

I'm an OG man myself. Second only to Chem's.

So jealous of the Ghost cut. You're a lucky man. Can't wait to see that!

I too went from coco back to soil. My yeilds in coco always finished more quickly, but it never matched anything I have ever done in soil. It's great that you aren't afraid to switch it up though. I'd say you gave it (coco) a more than fair shot at 2 yrs.

M

manchild

Thanks for the info man.I was just wondering as I never heard of it but not saying it did'nt exist.I know if you have it ,it has to be some Dank..Lol...I made a funny there after all.Good show bro and keep that shitz moving as only you can do!

Peace and Love

Think Green

Well its damn good to see ya back in action Mr Dank! :good:
Hoping to see some of the new stuff here in the old closet! I have the sfv as well. Been vegging her for months trying to control internodal spacing but alas only stretching. Would definitely be interested in seeing the ghost cut in action. Hope all is well!

TG

Moonshine*

Rare Dankness
Veteran
Face off.....(hope ya dont mind) Super Chemmy fake Lime smell/flavor

Mr D and Me gots a good buddy in common.... ;)

Its one that catches ya off guard just about every time you puff it...

attachment.php

Attachments

• SourK 001 (1174x1280).jpg
    SourK 001 (1174x1280).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 19

GD44

Hawaiian Sativa x Celestial Temple Sativa (female #5 from seed)

This is the plant I had posted pics before of. She is now on day 69 and is getting chopped tonite. I flowered this beast at 14" with no side branches at all! I put her in a 3-gallon container since she was small when flowered and she turned into this beast. She was probably rootbound by week 3. Oh well, I fed her right and kept her healthy so it didn't harm her too much. She could have really used a 5 gallon pot. She yellowed as soon as I started to flush her.

I haven't grown too too many 85%+ sativa plants like this, but I have never seen buds that grew fox tails like this, I have seen similar but not like this. The calyx's form in a perfect stack one on top of another. The buds reak of spicy lemon funk. By far the most lemony out of the 6 HSxCTS females from seed.

Look at my hand in the bottom of the pic for size comparison

That is SUCH a strange pheno! :bigeye: