What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mr Micro Presents : The Nanomachine

G

damn good Mr. Micro...she is looking tasty.

and in response to the less is more, you are right, but it seems so many start but only a few finish more starts = more finishes

NORMLiowans

Mr Micro, love the set up, inspired me to start ordering some equipment to begin my own project. You should be reaching harvest any day now and I'd love to see some more pics and hear the final weight.

Have you found a "stealth" way to dry before curing? It would be a shame to hear you just threw it in a closet when you went through all the work to make such a beautiful machine.

Mr_Micro

Hey guys! :D

More pics will be coming tomorrow, but for now I wanted to take a moment to answer NORMLiowans question about drying.

First off, I'm so glad my setup could inspire you to start your own project! With a little creativity, hardwork, and some cash it is possible to make a truly safe and totally stealth setup to keep you in supply of bud without having to worry about giving money to dealers or risk getting busted. I wish you the best of luck on your project and I hope that once it's done you'll be able to take pics and share your grow with all of us!

I'm planning on harvesting my girl on tuesday of next week, which will be day 113 of 12/12 from seed. I'll be sure to post some more new pics between now and then, but when harvest time comes around I will take pics of the harvest both wet and dry and post the final weight once it's dried and cured for a few week or so.

But about drying the plant... well, I already have a perfectly well suited drying machine built... and you've seen it in every picture I've posted! :biglaugh:
My plan is to dry the buds by hanging them upsidedown from the the ScrOG screen inside the PC case I've been growing in. That way I already have a nice dark drying box with good ventilation and a carbon filter on the exhaust to cover up any smell. And since I'm only growing one plant at a time there wont be any others inside the case to worry about, so my Nanomachine growbox will also double as a drying box by simply hanging the buds upside down from the ScrOG screen with clothes pins. I think it should work just perfectly :D

Thanks again for the comments guys and I'll be sure to post some more pics tomorrow or the next day of my girl as she nears harvest!
Until then, stay safe and grow smart my friends. :smoke:

NORMLiowans

so simple it's genius! :bashhead: always the best kind of answers.

a few more questions... i've had some luck with DWC in the past and since you made the switch yourself, any advice from this grow? would you change the original soil mix based on the nut burns? i'm also intrigued to know if there was enough soil... mind take a few pics to show how root bound the girl was once she is cut? that does it for me, but any ideas from hindsight, love to hear them! keep up the great work man, that's some seriously good shit.

Mr_Micro

Alrighty! It's almost time for some more pictures! :D
But first, let me take a minute to answer the responses since my last post...

Cobain192 - Thanks man! Much appreciated!

NORMLiowans - I too have always grown DWC or some variation of a DWC/Drip combo so this was my first time doing soil too. Given that, I'd say I'm just happy to have made it all the way to the end of the grow without killing the plant in the process :biglaugh: The results arn't looking near as good as anything I've ever grown in hydro, but it still looks decent and smokable so thats a good start I think!
As far as the soil mix goes, I think the mix was fine but I do think I over did the nutrients. There was one time when I watered the plant with nutrient infused water for 3 waterings in a row and I don't think she ever fully recovered from that despite all the flushing I did since then. Also, I think I probably should have PH balanced the water during the last half of the grow like I did during the first half... because, well, during the last half of the grow I got lazy and never checked the PH of the water I was giving her, and during the last half of the grow is when all the problems started occuring. I don't know if the problems had anything to do with the PH or not, but I probably should have paid more attention to the water's PH just to be on the safe side.
I'm also guessing that she's pretty severely root bound by now, so for my next grow I'm going to see if I can find a slightly larger container that would still fit within the space of my case. In any case, I'll be sure to take pics of the root system once the grow is done!

That said, here's the new pictures taken yesterday at Day 109 of 12/12 from seed...

So thats about it! This will probably be the last photo update before harvest, as I'm guessing I'll harvest some time between Sunday and Wednesday. In retrospect, I'm really pleased with how my first soil grow turned out. I think all the DWC hydro plants I've done in the past looked a lot better, but this is still pretty good for my first attempt at soil I think.

The only thing that still has me puzzled is that over the past few weeks most of the larger leaves have been turning yellow, than brown, and falling off one at a time. I've never experianced this in any hydro grows I've done so I'm wondering if this is a normal thing for soil grown plants to do at the end of their life cycle? Or is this more of something I did wrong in possibly in the areas of too much nutrients, poorly balanced PH, or the plant getting root bound in the small container? I've been flushing with plain water for 2 weeks now and all the remaining larger leaves continue to turn brown and fall off. Also, many of the larger caylaxes down towards the base of the buds are starting to turn brown as well!
So I'm wondering... what the heck is going on here!?

Well, whatever the problem it's too late to fix it now so I'll try to learn from my experiances this time around and do my best to prevent them in the next grow. Even though it's already at 110 days of 12/12 from seed (which I think is an extremely long time for a 12/12 from seed plant) I'm surpised that only about 20-25% of the trichs are amber and the rest are cloudy. I was hoping to wait until about 50% of the trichs had gone amber to harvest, but this girl really looks like she's on her last legs here so I'm going to harvest her within the next few days and I should still get some good smokable bud out of her. She never really packed on the weight at the end like I hoped she would, so I'm not sure if my target of half an ounce will be met or not, but I suppose in the end the yield of this grow doesn't really matter...

What matters the most is that I had a lot of fun with my first soil grow, learned a lot in the process, and hopefully inspired others to build more stealthy and safe PC case grow boxes :smoke:

So until harvest time comes, stay safe and grow smart my friends! :D

P.S. ---> Feel free to start making estimates on what you think the yeild will be! The person who guesses closest to the actual final dry weight will receive a free e-cookie! :biglaugh:

Mr_Micro

Hey guys and gals!

Can you guess what day it is?
Come on, take a guess...
I know you can........

It's harvest day! :D

Today is day 112 of 12/12 from seed and it's time for my Serious Seeds Bubblegum girl to be harvested! :muahaha:
I've been giving her plain water for the past 2 weeks to give her a good pre-harvest flush, and as much as I would have liked to let her go a few more weeks to see if she'd pack on a bit more weight, the yellowing and dying of a lot of the leaves combined with the fact that about 30% of the trichs had gone amber told me that harvest time has come.

So come join me as I use pictures to walk you through the harvest of what I believe to be the smallest 100% stealth micro grow ever fully documented from start to finish (I'll have to divide this into two posts though, since I have too many pics for just one post!)...

To start out, let me show you exactly what I mean when I say "the smallest micro grow ever documented". As you can see by the picture, this Bubblegum girl stands a mere seven inches tall from the base of the stem to the top of the tallest bud!

Next up I thought I'd show you a few various angles of the plant before the chop. Many of these angles are ones you didn't get to see during the grow since they were on the back side of the case.

I decided to chop at the base of the stem first and then trim off the buds one by one to remove them from the ScrOG screen. But before I start hacking away at the buds I thought it would be kinda neat to show you a few different angles of the plant while it's being held in the hand of an adult human male for size comparison.

And lastly, before we get to the real fun here, I remember NORMLiowans was wanting to see some pics of the root ball when harvest time came around. So I deccided to remove the soil from the container and see what it looked like! I was expecting for it to be really root bound given the size of the planter but to my suprise it wasn't root bound at all! The roots looked very healthy and comfortable in their small container. The brown staining on the roots is from the organic blackstrap molasses I added into the water when I fed her during flowering. And just incase your curious, that stuff on the bottom of the soil is regular aquarium gravel from the pet store that I added to the bottom of the planter for better drainage.

Mr_Micro

And now we get to the fun part! After an hour or so of chopping and trimming here's some pictures of my harvest, with a BIC lighter in the middle for size comparison. At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to hit my target yield of half an ounce or not, since the buds were much lighter and fluffier than any I've ever grown before. I'm not sure if this is due to the rather shoddy Bubblegum phenotype I got this time around, the fact that I'm growing in soil and not hydro, or just my own mistakes from this being my first real soil grow. But in any case, here's the post trimming harvest pics!

Waste not want not I say! Here's a pic of the resin coated leaves I saved and tiny little buds that were too small to dry with the rest. I'll dry these seperately in a paper bag, freeze them, and then seive them for some nice hash later. For some odd reason I've always prefered seiving the leaves and small buds through a screen instead of using the more popular ice water extraction methods for making hash, I guess I'm just old fashioned that way :biglaugh: As usual, a BIC lighter is displayed for size comparison.

Now that everything has been trimmed and manicured it's time to hang them up to dry. When I first started building this Nanomachine box it occured to me that I would need a safe stealthy way to dry the buds too. I thought of building a new box for drying, but then it occured to me, "Why not just hang them from the ScrOG screen inside the case to dry them? It's already got a good ventilation system and a carbon filter to eliminate the odor from the air on the way out!".
And so thats just what I did! I removed the 42 watt CFL bulb from the light socket, unpluged the light/timmer from the power strip inside the case, and voila! Instant drying box! So for the last set of pictures from this harvest you can see the freshly cut buds suspended from the ScrOG screen by clothes pins, hanging up to dry.

Well, I think that about wraps things up for now!
It will be about two weeks before I'll know the final dry weight of the harvest, since I want to give the flowers time to dry and spend a week curing to get to just the right moisture level before I weigh them.
But between now and then please feel free to post any comments, suggestions, questions, or guesses on the final harvest weight!

Thank you once again to everyone who posted in this thread, followed along with the grow, or used my design to help create their own pure stealth PC case grow box. You are all awesome and if it wasn't for you guys and gals I probably never would have started micro growing. So give yourself some props too, this buds for you :yes: :smoke:

Stay safe and grow smart my friends!

P.S. ----> Kizzattack, you flatter me way too much! :bis: But yeah... thats not a bad idea... how about "First Church Of The Bonsai Bud"? :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Kizzattack

Although I haven't been posting on your thread (apart from once), I've been watching it and I think you have done a fantastic job.
My next grow is going to be SS Bubblegum and/or Ak-47 (got 3 of each seeds, not sure which is which though) and it might be a micro grow, so I was even more interested in your results.
Are you going to be doing another grow in the Nanomachine?
My guess for your yeild is somewhere around 15 grams hopefully it will be more though.
As I said before, I think you have done a great job building the Nanomachine and growing in it and I am looking foward to anymore grows you may have coming our way.
Enjoy the harvest.
Praise the Lord! *waves arms in the air*:bow: :biglaugh:

G

and another grow bites the dust....awesome work again mr. micro dude, enjoy it :rasta:

i usually just take the wet weight x .75= amount loss...im usually off a gram or too but its a good way to estimate.id say its at least a quarter worse case scenerio ..gj man...

Mr_Micro

Thanks for all the replies everyone! :D

Mr. Bongowsky - Thanks man!

Kizzattack - Thanks for watching! I'll be interested to see you're micro grow too if you decide to post it! As far as the seed choices, I'd go for the Kalashnikov (AK-47). The Bubblegum can be really hit or miss. Some phenos are great, some (such as the one I got this time around) arn't so great. But AK-47 seems to be consistently awesome so that's what I'd go for.
And to answer your question, I'm definately going to be doing another grow as soon as these buds finish drying! I'm not sure if I'm going to grow Sensi Seeds Skunk #1 or DJ Short's True Blueberry for the next grow, but I'm strongly leaning towards the Skunk due to it's ease of growth, great yeild, and consistent results. Not to mention it's a really beautiful plant that is a lot of fun to grow and I know my carbon filter can handle it (since the carbon filter has made it through the entire grow now with zero odor problems).
As far as yeild, I can only hope it will be that much but I think it will be somewhere between a quarter and a half ounce. Thanks again for all the kind words and best of luck with your coming grow! :smoke:

Godisadj - Thanks man! I'm lookin forward to finding out too!

rkrone - All things come to an end eventually, good or bad, and the time came for this grow to end too. But all in all I'm pretty pleased with it and I'm lookin forward to the next grow. Thanks again for all the support and I certainly will enjoy this harvest!

dude06version - That sounds about right man! I never weighed it while wet so I don't know what the weight was there, but my guess is that dry weight is usually somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 of the wet weight. And yeah, I'm thinkin it's going to be somewhere between a quarter and a half. But hey, we'll know in about two weeks! :smoke:

G

can we expect to see another show in the nano machine after those buds are dry? or will you be going bigger?

Mr_Micro

Don't worry rkrone, there will be a full grow diary for the next grow in the nanomachine too :smoke:

I don't plan on upgrading to anything bigger for a long time, and I know I can do better in terms of quality and yeild the next time around, so I'll do a full grow show for sure. It'll probably be about 2 or 3 weeks until the next grow show starts.

G

2-3 weeks....i know there will many people waiting to see it, and i know you will have it dialed this time :rasta:

Mr_Ed

I swear Mr Micro we need to get you a small buisness loan so you can just build computer grow boxes. You will make bank.

I am looking forward to the next run. Till then this is for you :joint:

NORMLiowans

Beautiful Mr Micro! You're a true innovator in stealth. I hope to have a girl going within a few weeks, maybe we can race! Seriously though, thanks for the case ideas and being the first for the rest of us to learn from.

haze12421

I agree with that guy Mr. Micro.... you need to sell them asap. you dont even need a business loan. Just start off selling one at a time untill you have enough money for a a good website, your thing is the real deal unlike all the other BS computer ones that are being sold. If you had them for lets say 600 each (complete set up) with your directions included(hydro method) would be perfect. Have a feedback post on your website and your golden. U dont know me but i know that you know your shit when it comes to nuggets. While im writing to you do me a favor and take a look at my gallery. the black box i plan on having a mother or two < if possible. The white one that will have the 70 watt hps in it i plan on doing the growing. Tell me what you think. I took off the fan that computer because it was super loud. How do you lightproof a fan? Thanx bud

Last edited: