What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mr. Greengenes Cherry Bomb??

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure I've changed details over time. Heck, I'm 60 now! Back in the day, I would take notes about everything I did, but then I'd get paranoid and destroy them. It was very illegal then as some of you may remember. My daughter corrects me often as well. She'll say, "but you said there were only three seeds originally??"

Preventing myself from continuously changing CB's history was actually one of my main motivators for passing CB into 'public domain'. As experienced breeders all learn, the (truth of the) story is at least as important as the beans themselves.

About inbreeding depression. I was concerned about that early on, which is why I worked towards what is called open pollination after the first few generations. It may not have been a realistic concern though. It's important to remember that, in agriculture, we usually associate inbreeding depression with corn. Without going into all the differences between the two, I'd sum it up by saying that cannabis seems to be much harder to inbreed to the point of loss of vigor than corn.

Cherry Bomb has been an absolute beast the times I've seen it grown outdoors. It just makes gigantic trees. One plant did 5.5 lbs in a SoCal backyard in 1999 with no special care, just water. It's funny, because many people have told me that it's impossible to breed 'outdoor' strains indoors. But, my indoor bred seeds have performed amazing well up in the ET for years. I'm not sure why that is, but it may have something to do with my relatively short veg time (16-8). I also grow in my own recycled soilmix that has quite a bit of outdoor soil and compost etc. Or, it could be that there really isn't much difference between outdoor and indoor genetics. Another cannabis myth?

Anyway, got to go water the plants! If I missed any questions, hit me again. Thanks again all!

Kankakee

being in optimal outdoor conditions really helps along with those genetics. if its from hawaii as you said most likely b.o.e.l. genetics already acclimated outdoors.

but the real test comes in sub-optimal conditions like high humidity, rains w/ temp's dropping just as flowering hitting overdrive in midwest or oregon etc . and the bud rot or black leaf spot caused by fungi can destroy many plants, trees and shrubs ....

so in my opinion it does help breeding in these conditions and letting the natural selection and genetic code adapt as luther burbank proved over time that ecosystem has a direct affect on unlocking or changing genetics hidden within each seed.

swami/ gas has a difficult time in his area regarding humidity and rains that hammer the longer flowering or bulky strains like n.l. 5 / haze

Mischief

Not sure how relevant this is now but there is a pheno hunter (swami organic seeds) who is selling/claiming he has Mr. Greengenes cherry bomb 1979 Maui wowie IBL for 80 a pack. 10 per I believe. No idea on the back story. I met him online. Seems nice and is in Virginia. Hope this is the help you need my friend and good growing. Lmk if u need any more info.

Coughie

Not sure how relevant this is now but there is a pheno hunter (swami organic seeds) who is selling/claiming he has Mr. Greengenes cherry bomb 1979 Maui wowie IBL for 80 a pack. 10 per I believe. No idea on the back story. I met him online. Seems nice and is in Virginia. Hope this is the help you need my friend and good growing. Lmk if u need any more info.

He's definitely not in Virginia.

And he's selling those seeds with Mr. Greengenes blessing, so they're the real deal.

But I wish he would have trusted a different individual with the opportunity.

Mr. G,

I've lurked and followed this thread for several years, wanting to ask this question:

Is there a current source for your CB seeds?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr. G,

I've lurked and followed this thread for several years, wanting to ask this question:

Is there a current source for your CB seeds?

Try looking at some more recent posts!

Like the one right above yours & those which it references.

Oh, careless me! I missed that.

In his website, Swami says this: "There were intersex issues in the TO and BO x CB, but more suppressed in the pure IBL."

I know what "IBL" means, but can't figure out "TO," "BO," or "CB.'

Can it be that Swami agrees with Reeferman's observation that the strain has some tendency to go hermi? Could it be that under Mr. G's grow conditions, there are no hermis produced, but under different grow conditions hermis can be produced?

Swami's claim that Reeferman is an "imposter" for offering his own version of Cherry Bomb seems unfair. I know many seed producers offer strains of Blueberry, but no one calls them imposters. (Well...DJ might.)

I once bought and grew a pack of RM's Cherry Bomb II--and you should first note that he added a "II" to the strain name--directly from RM. His strain description expressly stated that his CBII was fifty percent Mr. G's CB and fifty percent a more indica-based CB from another source.

So I knew when I bought RM's strain that I was getting only fifty percent of Mr. G's strain. That does not make RM an imposter.

I should mention I'm no real big fan of RM strains. I've had inconsistent results.

I really liked his Romulan strain, and one pheno of his Herijuana was killer. But other strains of his led me to more inconsistent results.

I found his CBII to be so-so. Good clear sativa high, but not particularly strong or long-lasting.

Swami is actually no longer selling Mr. G's Cherrybomb...he was giving them as freebies until the end of March. I think he is out of stock or very low atleast

Swami is actually no longer selling Mr. G's Cherrybomb...he was giving them as freebies until the end of March. I think he is out of stock or very low atleast

Swami's site shows CB as currently available, for $80 a pack.

Seems kind of steep, if the genetics were given to him, as opposed to something developed through the breeder's own efforts. If Swami paid Mr. G for the strain, then the price is fair maybe.

Swami's site shows CB as currently available, for $80 a pack.

Seems kind of steep, if the genetics were given to him, as opposed to something developed through the breeder's own efforts. If Swami paid Mr. G for the strain, then the price is fair maybe.

From what I understand Swami doesn't actually breed them or do seed productions, some one else does...you can follow him on Instagram where I found the info about the Cherrybomb...unless the website and Instagram page are two different distributors under the same umbrella...

He blocked me a little while back because he was selling the last pack of Velvet Rush for 600 dollars and when someone said that was steep he told them to buy them and reproduce them then sell them for 200 a pack..I dissagreed and said they should sell them for 30 dollars instead, he went on a rant about how that would be like a kid collecting 10,000 dollars worth of baseball cards only to give them away and asked me if I knew of any breeders givimg genetics away. I do actually and told him that. I was actually agreeing with him on most accounts, but also told him that seeds are renewable resources and cards are not...

either way, he blocked me so I cant really show you were the info on the Cherrybomb is...

His handle on Instagram is @swamiseed_ig if you want to have a look

Long story short, the dude running the IG isn't Gas - it's the friend.

Ok, that makes perfect sense...and was why I thought that he wasn't working them...when I said someone else was doing the work I was talking about Gascanastan...didn't realize he was actually the person. I had it backwards then and the friend was the one I had a dissagreement with...either way they were very money oriented.

I believe Brown Dirt Warrior was the one who originally passed the Velvet Rush Seeds to Everyone in the beginning and that thread can actually be found here at ICMag...either way you are correct that they were passed freely..and if they don't have any more they have indeed f'ed up.

All of that being said I missed out on getting any of the CherryBomb and am pretty mad at myself for doing so

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I should mention I'm no real big fan of RM strains. I've had inconsistent results

inconsistent results??.. i bought a few strains from reef years ago... cherry bomb was one of them, willy nelson , asia girl n one or two others..

they S U C K E D... i put em outside and even the birds wouldnt eat em... what a waste of $$$... probably the worse seeds/weed we have bought/grown... they S U C K E D

Latest posts

Latest posts