What's new

Moving to Oaksterdam!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i will have about 50k$, u think that I would make half a year with that? I will try to get a job as soon as i get there though.

thanks for all replies and all advices

dude you should take that 50k cash and go stand on the corner of 98th and Edes.

no seriously im joking do not do that. as a matter of fact, if you move to oakland, dont even venture south/east of 20th street. and dont carry more than 200 bucks cash on you at any time, and try not to look like a total square and become a robbery target. dont use your cellphone on the street or on the bus this is SERIOUS advice im not joking. even in SF talking on your cellphone can get you robbed it happens every day.

you should watch some youtube videos about oakland and its crime problem. take some self defense classes, get a car so you dont need to be walking around or taking AC transit or MUNI..

try to live in berkeley, downtown oakland is alrite around lake merritt but expensive, alameda is nice...

like everyone else has said, if you want to be somewhere safe and not full of section 8 gangbangin you are gonna be paying 1000 a month in rent easy. i have a nice house in a decent neighborhood but right down the hill is nortenos central always gotta be on your toes and know which sets your in...

how u think i got the money to move wherever i want?:p
how much do LBs sell for in norway......oakland basically has terrible margins for startup growers...high rent electricity combined with super low prices weedl....and oaksterdam is a waste of time grab a notebook and read the growing forums you will learn way more. you should move to LA or San Diego it has decent pricing and has less crime

Blazie

dude you should take that 50k cash and go stand on the corner of 98th and Edes.

no seriously im joking do not do that. as a matter of fact, if you move to oakland, dont even venture south/east of 20th street. and dont carry more than 200 bucks cash on you at any time, and try not to look like a total square and become a robbery target. dont use your cellphone on the street or on the bus this is SERIOUS advice im not joking. even in SF talking on your cellphone can get you robbed it happens every day.

you should watch some youtube videos about oakland and its crime problem. take some self defense classes, get a car so you dont need to be walking around or taking AC transit or MUNI..

try to live in berkeley, downtown oakland is alrite around lake merritt but expensive, alameda is nice...

like everyone else has said, if you want to be somewhere safe and not full of section 8 gangbangin you are gonna be paying 1000 a month in rent easy. i have a nice house in a decent neighborhood but right down the hill is nortenos central always gotta be on your toes and know which sets your in...

how much do LBs sell for in norway......oakland basically has terrible margins for startup growers...high rent electricity combined with super low prices weedl....and oaksterdam is a waste of time grab a notebook and read the growing forums you will learn way more. you should move to LA or San Diego it has decent pricing and has less crime

dunno about the american metric system but 100g goes for about between 500 and 800bucks, pretty ok quality hasch, same in sweden..

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
dunno about the american metric system but 100g goes for about between 500 and 800bucks, pretty ok quality hasch, same in sweden..

no metric system here....

your typical hash here is $5-15 a gram, the better is up to $25 a gram.....

plus, concentrates are ILLEGAL, just about everywhere here........

Riboflavin

Haha this thread is awesome.

My only input is what others have said, Oaksterdam is just there to ripoff noobs. If you can already grow some quality bud, like you said, I doubt they will have anything to teach you.

E

el dub

Don't let them get you down, blazie. I'm not sure why all the negativity is being thrown your way. (The only part that was even remotely funny was the guy who said a bad guy in Sweden would rough you up and take your sled away. I did have to laugh at that.)

The bottom line to many in this thread would be that there is no reason for you to live in Oakland unless you plan on attending Oksterdam. However, many here see that program as a rip off geared toward fleecing noobs out of their hard earned cash by presenting a simplistic curriculum.

Anyway, you might enjoy the weather in SoCal and maybe commodity prices will be a little higher, but I prefer NoCal, personally. There is much happening from the Monterey Bay and Santa Cruz up to San Francisco. And things get real serious on the growing side up in Mendocino and Humboldt counties.

You ever look into Denver Colorado?

lw

Riboflavin

I hear what you are saying about learning bro, but the people that will be teaching you likely have less experience than you and maybe even less knowledge. Does anyone recognize an Oaksterdam degree for anything? Personally I think people who take the time to learn themselves through first hand experience and reading will know infinitely more than someone who pays oaksterdam to teach them how to setup a basic grow.

Blazie

I hear what you are saying about learning bro, but the people that will be teaching you likely have less experience than you and maybe even less knowledge. Does anyone recognize an Oaksterdam degree for anything? Personally I think people who take the time to learn themselves through first hand experience and reading will know infinitely more than someone who pays oaksterdam to teach them how to setup a basic grow.

That sucks if its true, but from what I've come to understand you get some kind of diploma/degree so u can work at for example a MMJ clinic or maybe grow legally to sell for these clinics/clubs?

And even if i gain almost nothing in their teachings, I can always find something for myself while being there:)
But it seems u convinced me not to, since I really didnt hope for that answer if u know what I mean :p
Actually im making lots of money in norway legally, and next summer who knows how many forests I will plant my seeds in.

I'll maybe consider just going some college courses, hoping for some kind of scholarship while a big reason for coming there is for me the glassblowing, which I hope to someday I could maybe maybe a living for myself with. But it doesn't particularly need to be at oaksterdam.. But the main idea was, I have something more to think about now, so it seems.. :dance013:
peace rib

E

el dub

teemu: Not sure what you think the OP is selling.

He came looking for advice. Advice has been given.

Are you doubting his ability to raise the $50,000? If so, I'm not sure why. There are folks all over the world who earn a decent living and save money rather than blow it all, living from pay check to pay check like most in these parts.

lw

E

el dub

I don't know, ddrew...

Dude is holding his own pretty well for english being his second or third language, imo.

LOL Can't we all just get along?

lw

Blazie

I can get along with those who gets along, not those who are trying to cross my path if u know what I mean.

And at the moment im living in south norway, so it would actually impossible to use a sled here, it doesn't snow here very often.. And I am pretty sure the American people are more interested in sleds than us.. also meatballs..

A friend with weed is a friend indeed:D

ddrew

Veteran
And at the moment im living in south norway, so it would actually impossible to use a sled here, it doesn't snow here very often.. And I am pretty sure the American people are more interested in sleds than us.. also meatballs..

A friend with weed is a friend indeed:D
If you do come to the states you can swing by where I'm at, we have snow out the ass, sledders paradise, we'll show you swedes a thing or two about how to ride a sled.:tiphat:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
haha no ones trying to insult you blazie, you just really sound kinda of "green" to be talking about moving to oaksterdam with your 50k.

you should really take a trip out here FIRST and see if you can live in an area like that...i really really dont think you know what its like out here...unless you spent some time in the favalas of Brazil or the slums of Tijuana...some parts of oakland are like the wild wild west and a blonde haired white guy from sweden is appealing target for some young punks to rough you up..everyday out here someone is getting shot, robbed, stabbed, etc. thats why i said if you want to move to cali try San Diego or parts of LA! much safer, nicer weather, etc.
shit even in the NICE parts of oakland look how much crime there is...oakland just got rated 5th most dangerous city in the US for like the tenth time in a row lol
http://laughingsquid.com/oakland-crimespotting-an-interactive-map-of-crimes/
its oakland
lat5307.jpg

versus San Diego
SanDiegoDowntown2.JPG

move to san diego man...much easier for a foreigner to adjust to the cali life..plus more hot women than oakland....in oakland talking to a hot girl might get you robbed..

watch some of the oakland gang wars videos to get a rough idea....most oaklanders thought this video was "soft" lol...they interviewed the young kids not the actual hardcore people out there...but it gives you a decent idea of how prolific gangbangin is out here...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oakland+gang+wars&aq=f

darthvapor

wow imagine the first day in oakland when somebody calls you snowflake? If you want to move out here get used to sh*t talkin and name calling you will get plenty of it.

G

Ganja D

That sucks if its true, but from what I've come to understand you get some kind of diploma/degree so u can work at for example a MMJ clinic or maybe grow legally to sell for these clinics/clubs?

And even if i gain almost nothing in their teachings, I can always find something for myself while being there:)
But it seems u convinced me not to, since I really didnt hope for that answer if u know what I mean :p
Actually im making lots of money in norway legally, and next summer who knows how many forests I will plant my seeds in.

I'll maybe consider just going some college courses, hoping for some kind of scholarship while a big reason for coming there is for me the glassblowing, which I hope to someday I could maybe maybe a living for myself with. But it doesn't particularly need to be at oaksterdam.. But the main idea was, I have something more to think about now, so it seems.. :dance013:
peace rib
Dude,a degree from Oaksterdam U is a make believe diploma that means absolutely nothing except you wasted a bunch of money learning nothing actually useful.
Reminds me,one day this fall in Humboldt these two guys were camped out on the side of the road for a week. They had a sign that said "Oaksterdam University graduates looking for work". It was one of the most pathetic things I saw all year in Humboldt. They looked like scared lost children,it was sad.
Why don't you continue to grow and sell herb in Europe,just asking? I say grow a bunch of herb,work on your salesmanship and after a few successful years of experience,then try moving to the US.
Good luck.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I say grow a bunch of herb,work on your salesmanship and after a few successful years of experience,then try moving to the US.
Good luck.
The man there just gave you the biggest hand up the ladder. Most non-idiots can grow decent herb. I didn't say amazing for a reason. That slip of paper from Greedy Bastards U doesn't mean squat. There are a thousand ways to skin the cat that is cannabis growing and their classes will not be terribly helpful unless you need a lighter bank account for some reason. Salesmanship is the name of the game these days, along with who you know in the biz. Work on that and then come jump in the shark pit.

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Blazie, you've already gotten some really good advice here..the arguing back and forth,and the name calling that's gone on in this thread was useless and not too consrtuctive. In the end you're going to have to do what you think is best for you. Heed the advice you've been given, or don't. I hope everything works out for you. Take care