What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

move to become part of new industrie

m3lt

I cannot contain my excitement that herb is now legal in Colorado and Washington. I have a background in networking, but fuck that! I want to establish a career in the new legalized industry.

I can only imagine getting a loan from my family to open up a pot shop. I have experience growing as I have lived in Washington state for a while.

What other careers are out there within the community?

monsoon

They haven't set things in stone here yet but it will take more than cash to open a shop in Colorado as the first licenses are reserved for the dispensary owners who already traversed the fires of public HELL, scrutiny and bans in the medical realm.

Look for at least a one year "moratorium" on any other licenses being issued, which will give you plenty of time (like an extra year) to move here and establish residency for the TWO YEARS they are going to require you to be a resident BEFORE you can apply for a license to play. (with no guarantee you will get a license) No licenses will be issued at all before Jan 2014 IF the Feds don't shut the entire retail thing down prior to that.

There are budtender jobs, trimmers, grow jobs/etc. All for minimum wage. (What a deal) and all held by folks who have yet to realize it is just a job and that it is a job you can go to prison for taking part in. Think about the risks. None of this is truly "legal" and I know 5 people right now who "joined the industry" who are now facing FELONY charges (courtesy of the State of Colorado) for sales, manufacturing and distribution.

Grab yer brass balls and head on out folks. These cats will use you and abuse you and then cast you aside. Check the forums for proof. 99% of the guys who went into this initially are no longer doing it. For real. It isn't the glamor/glory/scene you think it is from afar.

best of luck

MIway

Veteran
Want a better return and an easier entry? Try texas or florida... Places like that still keep the prices afloat in co, wa, ca, etc.

If the govt wanted to really lock up the industry (take control of prices, limit ownership and production... and still jail peaceful people) theyd 'legalize' it everywhere...then regulate & license the fuck out of it.

Sure as shit though...someones getting rich in this bitch...some posmf, no doubt...lol

monsoon

Many of the MMJ startups in Colorado have already gone broke and folded.

And the ones who are surviving are doing so by selling weed out the back door or shipping it out of state. With the news this week that the entire program has been botched and almost a million in tax dollars have been lost in the mismanagement of 1284 by the DOR, you can bet the State is going to clamp down and many more of these folks will be squeezed out.

prune

Veteran
Grab yer brass balls and head on out folks. These cats will use you and abuse you and then cast you aside. Check the forums for proof. 99% of the guys who went into this initially are no longer doing it. For real. It isn't the glamor/glory/scene you think it is from afar.

best of luck

99% failure rates sound really bad, unless you understand that 95% of all small business start-ups fail as a matter of course within five years anyway...

monsoon

I don't know the failure rate of the businesses themselves, prune. There are ceratinly less shops now than there were in 2010.

I was speaking to all of the folks I know personally who entered into the "industry" when the Green rush hit in 2009 as growers/trimmers/budtenders/etc. MOST of these folks found out the exposure wasn't what they thought it would be, Low wages or wages that weren't paid, crappy pay, stolen genetics, broken promises. You name it, it happened. Folks found out QUICK that the owner makes the $$ and you are merely a paid slave and that working a MMJ job is just like working any other job. (except for the added bonus that you can go to prison for doing it)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Get a job here doing what you know already and have a work history in. THEN move. There are plenty of people moving here without jobs already and there are few jobs here. Even fewer in the mountains where I live.

Once you're here and established, you'll find ways to do what works for you. :D No way on earth you could just plan it from where you're sitting right now.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

monsoon

^^^^ CHURCH!^^^^

There's no real MJ "scene" here in the mountains where I live. Nothing has changed. You still need a regular job to make ends meet, unless, that is, your regular job is a pot job, and then you will need to grow weed in yer closet to make ends meet. LOL.

Either way, most folks here are working at least 2 jobs to be able to survive and nobody is getting rich on this game >anymore<.

Bring yer coat, yer wallet, and low expectations and you'll be OK. (oh, and bring pussy...'cus you ain't gonna be finding any of that up here either) ;-)

Folks found out QUICK that the owner makes the $$ and you are merely a paid slave and that working a MMJ job is just like working any other job. (except for the added bonus that you can go to prison for doing it)

Yep, you're right....it's damn tough to survive in a brand new wild west style industry. Only the smart and tough survive. The rest "find out that only the owner makes the $$" and instead of becoming owners, what do they choose to do? They whine and bitch and cry and then go crawling back to the corporate world....where they will become millionaires in no time I'm sure.

GottaBeGreen

No man. I'm an MMC owner and it is stressing as fuck. Just like any owner of any business but this industry fresh with a lot of rules and regs. Stupid ass employees that got to be accepted by the state first, the state MMED, local law, Feds, thieves, grower issues, burglars, broken windows, ect... Its big business but is also big work with little gain unless your moving shit out the back door or you have a huge consistent grow and your dropping Oz for $100. Stay a basement grower if you have the choice. To say the least, I am not a millionaire but I do play it totally legal with no back door action. I'm in the business not to do illegal shit, not the other way around. I want to be legit. Some people take it for granted, being in the business and still do what they want. Also there are some really big fish in the pond now a days in CO. Everyone's expanding their shop! Gearing up for Legalization! Us too!

monsoon

Props for chiming in, GottaBeGreen. Its good to hear from someone in the midst of it all. My sources are there with you, but my word is heresay and a lot of times folks just take it as sour grapes or exclusionary talk of some sort rather than seeing into the truth.

I could care less if they come or if they believe what is said. After many years here Im fairly set all the way around so it is on >them< to make it all happen. In the end, we're just sittin back and watching the show change and change and change and change and wondering where it will all eventually go. Good luck.