What's new

Motherlode Gardens 2014

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
i popped them, 2 out of 5 survived, i think one is female, not sure yet..

Those the ones D.U.D.E made?
They looked like shit... every grow of em Ive seen.
Even shitty growers wont ever grow them again.
How did yours come out LyryC?

Those little puppy-pad protectors are very kind of you Shcrews.
I bet theres alot of prickers/thorns and what not, that can hurt his little paws out there.
Good on you.

Plants are looking great! Next year Im growing in 200gln smarties guerilla style.
I think my shits are rootbound and just starting to show flowers in around 80glns.

mapinguari

Veteran
You know wind and heat also evaporate water, which mulch also helps with.

I'm an Aussie, we don't have any problems with large plants.

These guys never heard of Kangativa, I guess...they're on a weird anti-mulch crusade for some reason...

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To me, mulch serves many purposes.

Here's the tricks.

Firstly, I love my worms and what they do for my plants.
Mulch of any kind is worm food.

All my outdoor pots are recycled in place over the winter.
I seeded them with a lb of red wigglers 2 years back.
During the year and fter harvest, I put all leaves off the plant onto the soil.
I then fill the pot full of fall leaves, gotta rake leaves every year anyway, may as well put them to work.

Over the winter, leaves feed the worms, worms turn it into poopies and compost, and of course the mirco herd go crazy for both.
Come spring time, my soil is full of worms, and of course even more poopies and compost.

During the early spring and through planting time when plants are small, the mulch protects the moisture content and allows plants to go nearly their first month with little water and no feedings.
All amendments can go right onto mulch in the wet winter months and is slow released throughout the winter.

Fact is:
All season long, you get free sustainable nutrients, you conserve water, and can revert to all recycled, no till growing.
I have cut my soil costs from $2,000 a year to $200 in amendments to recycle.

I also have 3 compost tumblers full of worms that I use for my tea feeds.
All compost, worms, and their egg cases are all strained and returned to tumblers.
My OD weed growing cost went from $12 an ounce down to $6 an ounce.
Good business to utilize worms and mulch.

epicorchard

You know wind and heat also evaporate water, which mulch also helps with.

I'm an Aussie, we don't have any problems with large plants.

Put it this way, tree frogs hang out under my plants. Its shady and cool. Not much heat and evaporation ocurring down under there.

Bulldog420

Veteran
These guys never heard of Kangativa, I guess...they're on a weird anti-mulch crusade for some reason...

I have buddies that like to poo poo on mulch as well. I think the only reason is because they are too lazy to apply it. If your a frog looking for shade and water, obviously under plants is a good spot. Doesn't mean it's cool, just cooler than out in the open. The only downside to mulch that has been brought to my attention is the carbon input into the soil. If your soil is perfectly balanced, then mulch may throw this off. However I feel most people are not working with perfect soil, and the addition of mulch would be beneficial in most cases. Keeps the top lair of microbes alive and flourishing.

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the microbes are healthy, PH remains balanced.
Every creatures poopies contain Nitrogen, which increases decomposition, which feeds the microbes and other wild life.
It's a constant cycle of life with a complete food chain.
All uncomposted material, high in carbon just stays at the surface dry, just provides shade.
Creatures feed from the bottom up and eat what they want.
Nothing wasted.

Bulldog420

Veteran
I had this question for Mr. Astera author of The Ideal Soil and this is what he said....

Mr. Astera

I have a question that is a bit off topic, hope that is ok

Where does mulch fall into the perfect soil? Until lately, I have been using redwood, and fine redwood as mulch. It keeps the soil moist and breaks down into humus fairly fast. However, the other day somebody brought to my attention that all the extra broken down mulch will raise my carbon inputs. Do you consider this a problem? If so, how would you fix it?

Thanks

Bulldog-

Love the name. If you have something that is working for you, all is good. Make sure you have enough Ca and all will be well.

Michael A

Hope this helps.

epicorchard

ive pulled back my mulch and had stringy cobweb looking roots underneath, i like that

I'd like that too. I also like growing 12lb plants without mulch. I'm trying to perfect the Stupid Simple KISS method. If I can remove a step and still crush it at harvest than that step is gone.

Probably won't hurt, but mulch is definitely not necessary.

Meds215

Some of us like our soil to dry out a little quicker. Less chance of root rot and fungus problems I'm at every 3 days right now with no mulch should be every 2 soon once buds are bigger. What ever works for.you stick with it I don't mind watering

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran

growing 12lb plants without mulch. I'm trying to perfect the Stupid Simple KISS method. If I can remove a step and still crush it at harvest than that step is gone.

Probably won't hurt, but mulch is definitely not necessary.
Mulch is an extra step in my opinion. Some people benefit from it, others do fine without. We didnt use any, although if we had more money and time to plan this garden we might have. Anyway our plants look fine and they only need water every 2-3 days right now.

I think there are many more important things such as soil mix, soil size, genetics, sunlight, supp lighting, water availability/quality, cages, pruning, pest control, nutrients, security, trimming, harvest, etc.

i would rather have all those things dialed in before i mulch. And then, why not... Pono's garden always looks great so obviously it doesnt hurt when done properly.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Those the ones D.U.D.E made?
They looked like shit... every grow of em Ive seen.
Even shitty growers wont ever grow them again.
How did yours come out LyryC?

Those little puppy-pad protectors are very kind of you Shcrews.
I bet theres alot of prickers/thorns and what not, that can hurt his little paws out there.
Good on you.

Plants are looking great! Next year Im growing in 200gln smarties guerilla style.
I think my shits are rootbound and just starting to show flowers in around 80glns.
yah those are the ones, hopefully there's a female so i can at least see what all the fuss is about.

200gal pots doesn't sound like guerilla style. why not do more smaller plants? less of a pain. anyway that's cool !

I had to get the shoes for my dog, he gets foxtails in his paws and they go into his skin and get infected.

Nice progress guys. I'd love to smoke some of ur Bodhi stuff. Is that a stuffed animal or living dog?
. He's a living chick magnet who chases tennis balls like no other. I'll save ya some Bodhi...

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5202.jpg
    IMG_5202.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3495.jpg
    IMG_3495.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4885.jpg
    IMG_4885.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 14

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
took some pictures at sunrise.

WiFi#3 x Snow Lotus:

Attachments

• IMG_6186.jpg
    IMG_6186.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 14

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Ancient OG (Bodhi)

Ancient OG (Bodhi)

these are over 10 feet tall

Attachments

• IMG_6188.jpg
    IMG_6188.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6189.jpg
    IMG_6189.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 16

Bulldog420

Veteran
Absolutely beautiful picture. How are those t-posts standing up? I drove one in the ground yesterday and it took forever in this hard ground, not sure I will ever get it out. Looks like yours are not drove too far into the ground, please explain. Anything I can do to avoid more pounding would be huge. Thanks again.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Cherry Pies double potted in an 800

CP doesn't want to get tall.. the biggest one is only 6 feet and very bushy.

Attachments

• IMG_6187.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 16

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Absolutely beautiful picture. How are those t-posts standing up? I drove one in the ground yesterday and it took forever in this hard ground, not sure I will ever get it out. Looks like yours are not drove too far into the ground, please explain. Anything I can do to avoid more pounding would be huge. Thanks again.

We used 6ft t-posts , pound them in about 2 feet with a post pounder. Then attach the big posts to those with bailing wire. For our main supports we are using 12' t-posts. A lot of people use 10' bamboo. Don't get the cheap 8' green stakes from Home Depot, we have some of those and they suck.

shouldn't be too hard to pound the posts as long as you arent going into rock. The ground here is red clay with some boulders, the t-posts go in easy but you definitely need a post puller (or pickaxe) to get them out.