What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most Potent Landrace Indica commercially available

acespicoli

btw everyone can collect their own seeds that what makes it fun. Bricked weed, foreign acquaintances, road trips. Random seeds in sensi,,,Start collecting and preserving. landrace free use license?, and seed saver circles. positive vibrations!

So many times I had people act shady af and try to steal seeds plants weed smh its crazy this aint crack!

I dont even mess with no one anymore.
I see what your saying, I guess
where are the old school vibes...

Keep the right ones in and the wrong ones out!

wdcf

In the 14 years I have been a part of ICMAG this is the most 'active' thread I have ever started... And it has very little to do with my original topic :)

GoatCheese

Veteran
In the 14 years I have been a part of ICMAG this is the most 'active' thread I have ever started... And it has very little to do with my original topic :)
LOL!
Yea, i was looking forward to read about landrace "indicas/afghanis" as well, only to see this thread turn into horseshit.
Seed making and preservation is so POP these days ...and "experts" are everywhere.:) Internet-experts seemingly have to chime in with the same ol' oppinions about the subject in every thread that even mentions seed-projects.
"bottle necking" ..."alleles" and whatever on and on and on and on..

Anyways..
Have you found anything for your project?

If you can't find anything else, i think you should try that Afghan Kush by WOS, cause i think you had got it wrong in believing it's a hybrid of two landrace strains ... WOS tells us it was originally collected in N. Afghanistan and they say nothing about it being a hybrid made by them.

Derg Corra Collective has "Iraqi Pilgrim" and Helmand Afghani but i haven't grown these myself. Google will help you in finding these.

wdcf

I am going to try-
World of Seeds: Afghan Kush
Underground Seeds: Ouzbekistan aka Pink Malabar
Underground Seeds: Black Afghani

@GoatCheese, well that'ss because its the truth there are some good reads by the incredibly talented Robert Clarke who explains how we try to use two senses to judge hundreds if not thousands of varities. He also has a good explination on how selecting for desirable traits has a dark side when dealing with genetics especially considering how much more complicated the DNA structure of plants are compared to humans. essentially what happens is we find a flavor we like either a smell or taste and we select towards that or maybe the purple colors or those nice dense nugs but not to dense and how are all these things we are selecting related?

They are all Dominate traits. By using the senses we have we dont have the ability to select or see the recessive traits ( this is the alleles talk ) and so why you are selecting for that bubba kush taste/smell (terps) you could also at the same time be selecting for multiple recessive traits that are undesirable like making the line more susceptible to disease or going Hermi so breeding on a small scale might seem good in the small scheme of things in the long run so called "back yard breeders" could be detrimental to the lively hood of the cannabis plant just like short term feminized breeding seems like the best thing since sliced bread except we dont know how in the long term how this could be affecting the cannabis plant and could be incredibly benefical and turn cannabis into some new better form or like most things us humans tend to get our hands on we think we can improve the plant and end up to irreversible damage. There have been plants found in feminized seed stock that when flowered are visually 150% has nothing but ball sacks all over it and dumps VIABLE pollen but genetically it is 100% female because there were never any Y chromosomes present. See this might not be a problem when its properly labeled but there are companies and companies that sell 7 seeds for over $250 and use one of the LadyBoy plants as a male and sell the seeds as regular seeds ( Bay Exclusives is the seed company) so people are buying these and then essentially breeding them and then mixing these lines up and like i had said earlier we dont know what we are doing to this plant and what kind of role this could play in 25 years or however many years. I have even reached out and thoroughly explained it to them and others that they aren't males and they need to be listed as Fem seed stock. I have nothing against breeding on a small scale ( according to Sam the Skunk and others like Robert Clarke to do breeding you need to have 1,000's but preferably 10,000+ of the Strain to truly see the full expression of the genetics) or against Fem seeds in fact i have done both haha but stepping back from a stoner and analyzing it from a more scientific mind set it makes sense the bottle necking arguments and such.. i just hope we dont accidentally turn off the THC production or something on accident and never be able to turn it back on or something lmao that would be fucking horrible. cannabis is the first plant that is heavily experimented with by people outside of the Agriculture Industry in so many different ways and that's both good and bad as we learn things faster and the knowledge is freely spread but on the other hand we have to learn this knowledge blindly the majority of the time.

CannaZen

Yes i have come across an rsc plant which was mistaken for male displayed only a couple among thousands of balls a few pistils which allowed me to understand the plant as hermie.

acespicoli

Hindu Kush - Master Kush 100% Indica version of course
Looked into Fanta ? Anyone wanna elaborate on this line?

Somatek

That's a pretty rough equation if you don't say anything about the size of the plants and the resulting amounts of seeds. We've seen very small flowering plants harvesting only a handful of seeds and there are giant outdoor bushes of 6m height that could yield several thousands. I'm guessing the really important measure is the seed count. With an average total of 1000 seeds per plant we are getting 1 million seeds. And what then?

Size of the plant is irrelevant because preservation is about keeping the gene pool intact which has to do with population sizes.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
LOL!
Yea, i was looking forward to read about landrace "indicas/afghanis" as well, only to see this thread turn into horseshit.
Seed making and preservation is so POP these days ...and "experts" are everywhere.:) Internet-experts seemingly have to chime in with the same ol' oppinions about the subject in every thread that even mentions seed-projects.
"bottle necking" ..."alleles" and whatever on and on and on and on..

Anyways..
Have you found anything for your project?

If you can't find anything else, i think you should try that Afghan Kush by WOS, cause i think you had got it wrong in believing it's a hybrid of two landrace strains ... WOS tells us it was originally collected in N. Afghanistan and they say nothing about it being a hybrid made by them.

Derg Corra Collective has "Iraqi Pilgrim" and Helmand Afghani but i haven't grown these myself. Google will help you in finding these.

WOS says that the Afghan Kush like is GMO

Infinite313

Yup.

Ive always said, the people who grow the best pot dont even grow anymore.

Farms in OR and WA are hacking my gear.
So I went to Emerald Cup and spread all my gear to everyone. Fuck it. Let everyone rip off the same lines. Im eager to see the different stories that pop up regarding their origins in a few years as they get renamed and rebranded.

@Musta.
I met up with Kagyu and confronted him.
He said he got some from Chomba but the others are his. I said, well unless you traveled amd selected yourself, you got them from someone.
He conceeded, yes, he got them from a wise grower with rare lines.
I said, yea, extra testicle, right.
He was shocked but conceeded that fact as well.
At least everyone buying his overpriced packs are greatly enjoying your hard work.

A lil disclaimer to those looking for landraces,
You dont buy landraces. You are entrysted with them.
If someone is selling you a landrace...its not a fucking landrace.
That Panama with CBD in it, Kagyu isnt telling you how theres hashplant in the line, because it would hurt his sales.

I'm inches away from hanging up my hat myself.
I really miss working in a hospital. When you work in a hospital, you are surrounded by people who only want to help others.

Thanks. For someone who is new to growing but has been around the plant for a long time I always wanted landrace genetics. What do you recommend?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Oh yea it could be the special.
I remember their own description saying genetic modification
No, WOS state they used some inhibitor to create polysomic plants; manipulated how the chromosomes are copied (..or something like that). It's not like they took genetics from another species, so it's not really GMO.

ambertrichome

Veteran
Probably Colchicine. DJ Short allegedly used it on Blueberry.

I believe you can cut up Crocus bulbs, add water, and soak seeds in the liquid. I also believe you aren't supposed to smoke the 1st generation.
Colchicine used to be used to treat Gout.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, WOS state they used some inhibitor to create polysomic plants; manipulated how the chromosomes are copied (..or something like that). It's not like they took genetics from another species, so it's not really GMO.

Basic, in species, breeding is a form of Genetics Modification that has nothing to do with TRANSGENIC Genetic Modification.

Any time genes are reshuffled we are dealing with basic genetic modification. If mixing genes within a species wasn’t gm, there would be no variation, within a species, to choose from.

Nobody, to my knowledge, is selling TRANSGENICLY Genetically Modified cannabis seeds.

ambertrichome

Veteran
DJ Short speculated the Chocolate Thai he used ect was treated with Colchicine, but he didn't do it.

Colchicine causes Polyploid plants. Less than 2% survive.

Manivelle

Veteran

If I'm preserving desirable traits, I don't care about preserving the 100% of genes since I know that's impossible,...

the problem here is not to preserve all the genes in a presevation work ..

it's to preserve the genetic health of the living .

if there is not enough variable to recreate diversity you only go down to consanguinity ....

NOT ALL THE GENES BUT GENETIC DIVERSITY ......

:tiphat:

ps:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
landraces are no longer true landraces once you cut their ties towards the enviroment that originated the unique set of traits they often define them
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]with disversity the plants can adapt again to the land where it came from . adaptability. just hope it will follow the same way as the first time . [/FONT]