What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most effective synthetic insecticide

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Working a lot full time you should be catching problems before they escalate. A hard blast from the hose cures many problems when caught early.

Grosafe, Safer, many organic options prevent and take care of mild issues. If issues are getting serious you are missing something or noticing too late.

There is never a time to use banned chemsor harsh chemicals on pot you are going to sell.

It's called responsible farming.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Working a lot full time you should be catching problems before they escalate. A hard blast from the hose cures many problems when caught early.

Grosafe, Safer, many organic options prevent and take care of mild issues. If issues are getting serious you are missing something or noticing too late.

There is never a time to use banned chemsor harsh chemicals on pot you are going to sell.

Systemic pesticides and fungicides can truly cure a problem beyond masking them like many organic options. Im a big prevention guy so i dont see issues anymore myself. However, those who preach organics yet they smoke mildew and bugs all the time or the oils they are constantly applying arent doing better than those using systemics and waiting out the half life of said spray. Theres serious problems in organics too, many dont understand this. I do agree there are things you should never spray. But there are rather safe systemic options as long as they are applied early enough.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Systemic pesticides and fungicides can truly cure a problem beyond masking them like many organic options. Im a big prevention guy so i dont see issues anymore myself. However, those who preach organics yet they smoke mildew and bugs all the time or the oils they are constantly applying arent doing better than those using systemics and waiting out the half life of said spray. Theres serious problems in organics too, many dont understand this. I do agree there are things you should never spray. But there are rather safe systemic options as long as they are applied early enough.
Saw someone that bought 10 bootleg vape cartridges in California and all tested had high levels of myclobutanil. That is considered harmless on produce that is eaten and used extensively on food crops. Problem is when heated over 400F that it turns to hydrogen cyanide. Someone here swore up and down that neem was highly poisonous and harmed more people than Covid. Wasted weeks researching and winds up after being mixed with water its half life is 24 hours, and would have to eat 10 pounds of it at once to be lethal.

troutman

Seed Whore
I use Malathion if I grow outdoors. But I use it unlike most people.
I don't spray my plants with it. I spray a barrier at least 10 feet all
around my garden as an invisible fence for anything that likes to
munch on plants. It's also a good way to get rid of bugs that bite
you as well. Just make sure you walk backwards with the wind to
your back when using Malathion or other pesticides.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Saw someone that bought 10 bootleg vape cartridges in California and all tested had high levels of myclobutanil. That is considered harmless on produce that is eaten and used extensively on food crops. Problem is when heated over 400F that it turns to hydrogen cyanide. Someone here swore up and down that neem was highly poisonous and harmed more people than Covid. Wasted weeks researching and winds up after being mixed with water its half life is 24 hours, and would have to eat 10 pounds of it at once to be lethal.
Yeah eagle20 and the other myclo containing pesticides are not safe. I wouldnt use them. Back in the day it was preached as safe as long as it was only sprayed in veg. Such bullshit. The neem oil thing was being stated to cause CHS and its related stomach issues. That also turned out to be false. This is why i prefer to grow indoor. I just keep my space clean and sterilize between runs. Never spray anything, really ever. In 2020 i saw pm pop up in week one of flower, used elemental sulfur, havent seen it since.

mountainoutlaw

10-4. Well i must say the imid is way more effective considering the low dose i used.
Out of maybe 50, only 2 still in there moving.

Done alittle surgery, and i hope for a full recoop...
20230604_183418.jpg

Bucket number one is 1 part peroxide..4 part water...bucket number 2 is plain h20...then a spray drench of bacillius ...Southern Ag friendly fungicide..
Then on to the new dirt and big pot.
20230604_181436.jpg

The jars were a scientific test, both worked well.
To the gentleman who stated something is off or Im catching it too late, until youve grown here, you wouldnt understand. Right when you walk out the cabin door your getting bit and shits swarming, this aint tame land. Theres no mailbox, no driveway , and the weeds bout waist high ....and no aint got no mower.
20230521_151301.jpg

So how i clear that field...well the ol fashion way...any of you know about these...
20230522_125511.jpg

Swinging that for about 3 hours wear a blister and tire your shoulders, damn its hot out here.
Now lets see this new soil mix i got here...this little batch here...
20230604_174715.jpg

Made myself and well amended...ran macro and ph test...and...
20230604_183339.jpg

Hot damn got it right on...it will drop a bit as season goes ....macrotest gotta wait over night....now i was about to add in a bit of black kow to this here batch....BUT FELLAS ALWAYS CHECK BAGS ..I DONT CARE WHAT BRAND....SEE...
20230604_180729.jpg

And found some sort of larvae in it...use a 10x mag ....so this aint going in my mix...its going in a clear sheet to bake in sun. Heres some native stuff Im bout to amend...and blend
20230604_181127.jpg

Now lets see how that surgery as i call it came along....
20230604_184215.jpg

Ah yes, now i got that root way down there and made sure shes comfortable, then a little h20 with just a smidge of thrivealive to help with the transition. 1 down....many more to go. These are 20 gal fabric which is 2.7 cuft - 3 cuft....and I want to let yall organic yippies know...havent put any chems on anything yet, so cool your heels, its all about being proactive and having it in case, and i like the Imid for these aphids...i did do some light misting of this batch with my special mineral spray (i make it by hand too) and some natural deterants, very lightly.
Well im a check these post ops tomorrow and see what the flies and aphids doing, i should have dusted with dia earth, but i got a good feeling on this ordeal. I also planted a large portion of stem in the soil...i found after a while some of the stem actually forms roots as well and really solidifies the plant...dont believe me? Try it out, hell I could be lie'n to you. Next water will be just plain water and raw silica...silica is a must for strong plants outdoors ..theres plenty of micros and macros with staggard release times in my outlaw mix...all natural...and i found thensilica,it dont take long and it dont take much. Using RAW silica...12 bucks and you can make 200 -300 gallons depending on hownyou dose....me...i might do 1/8th tsp per gal. Sometimes just a pinch..

Oh! And we had a spectator watching the whole show....
20230421_122244.jpg

Plenty of them around...big one, maybe 5 half feet, let her go, indians used to say it was good fortune if one of these pass by behind your dwelling, ...and i need some goodnfortune with all these damn insects, they are crazy and derranged...horse fly bite the hell out of you, you gotta keep slapping yourself in back of head until you get em. .....well thats all for now.
Moutainoutlaw -out

Last edited:

mountainoutlaw

20230604_192211.jpg

Both chems worked, however the Imid wins....much faster kill time, only used miniscule amount and far less toxic. ...oh and its legal...now if shit breaks loose , i got my sidearm ready, which is a 1 gal expert sprayer with 7/8ths gallon water and only 5ml of Imid atn1.47 percent. And that wont hit the plant much and be light, heavier on the soil, ...minimize chemical warefare but effective...and thats only if it comes to that, just relax alittle. Think about them tomato you ate on that burger other day...did you grow em? Well...just sayin, i think your gonna live, hell bring me a burger next time, im hungry out here! Thanks fellas hope you enjoyed expirement and thanks for all the good tips

mountainoutlaw

I do catchem...And im never late..i check everythkng dailey, I dont understand what could be off....oh, yeah...the insane population of insects out here...a blast from a hose, and they will be right back on when the water stops...if everythings dialed in and you use organic preventitive...and the next morning you come out and you got fungus gnats or miners all over somemplants...well...what do you suggest? its just way it is...insect populations arent the same everywhere and vary greatly...this area is around 4 miles from nearest dirt road thats mapped and that about 15 miles from a paved normal road. Nobody been in this cabin for over 10 years. ...and the deeper you go, the more there is of everything...animals, plants, insects, wierd shit that scratches on the roof at 3 am. also ....this was an experiment, to see how these two particular chems performed...in jars...controlled jars, not on a bush of cucumbers im taking to market.
Relax ol fella, im being responsable, and Im a farmer.

mountainoutlaw

That part, well said Crooked8.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
malathion is truly evil shit. i'd let the bugs have it all before i'd let that crap out of it's bottle... it's banned here in TN and several other states. breathing the mist or getting it on your skin can cause damage right up to and including a dirt nap. no thanks...(n)

revegeta666

20230604_184215.jpg

Wait is this really the size of the plants you are spraying with systemic pesticides? This is the first time in my life I see something like this. Wouldn't you rather just pull them out and start over? If the little seedlings are too small to endure an infestation, why not keep them in smaller pots away from that spot, until they are stronger? Why not try to fix the grow spot before moving the seedlings there? If you have a full ecosystem it usually should regulate itself to the point pesticides of any kind are rarely needed, unless you already destroyed it with pesticides to begin with. This is baffling.

My seedlings are a similar size.
IMG_20230605_083508.jpg

There are funghi flying everywhere in the garden at the moment. Why would I start spraying them with systemic funghicides, when I can just keep them indoors for a few weeks until they are stronger?

You seem to get really triggered over oRgAniC PeOpLe but this is not a organic vs synthetic issue, it's a poorly planned grow issue. I know quite a few people who use synthetic pesticides and I have never heard of anyone using them on seedlings this size.

revegeta666

I just harvested these outdoor plants last week in the middle of aphid season.
IMG_20230526_143245.jpg

I had to pull around a dozen leaves that has a few aphids on them and that's it. Why? Because a healthy ecosystem takes care of itself for the most part (talking from eXpERieNcE).
IMG_20230507_151403_715.jpg

IMG_20230502_100055_662.jpg

IMG_20230503_203247.jpg

IMG_20230401_231929.jpg

Take care of your garden and your garden will take care of your plants. Kill all the pollinators with pesticides and you'll be on your own.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I have to agree with the above two posts, this is not a pest problem, swarms of bugs are not the problem, they are a symptom of much wider underlying issues.

If you don’t correct the bigger picture, you can kill all the bugs you like, organically or chemically it makes no difference, they will keep coming back because the plants and the environment are compromised.

BuckeyeGreen

A bunch of good, well meaning posts on both sides of the issue which makes me happy. Frequently these topics bring out the zealots and it all goes to shit.

I don’t think anyone WANTS to use synthetic insecticides these days and we all know their potential to do harm when used excessively or incorrectly. I think a lot of harm is done because these products are used incorrectly and too frequently.
Let’s be honest and say that the whole world would starve at this point in time without the use of these products.

I live in a farming community and I have frequent conversations with these farmers at the local restaurant where all of us old dudes go to drink coffee and solve all the worlds’ problems. These guys are very educated on the use of these products and they all do their best to use them exactly how they are supposed to be used. If you tell them that shouldn’t use any of these products when they are farming HUNDREDS of acres of produce, they will look at you with that, you poor, naive soul look. Then they will ask you what you are going eat when the grocery store shelves are empty.

Can you farm hundreds and thousands of acres without the use of pesticides and fungicides? I’m sure it can be done and probably is being done someplace. A local farmer will tell you that without the use of these chemicals they would suffer at least 50% loss and they would be out of business and lose their farms. It is a reality that we hope can be changed and I think we are all working towards that goal in the future.

Now millions of people around the world depend on these foods being available for their very survival. The natural world is a tough place to try to produce enough food to feed billions of people. The goal is to change the way we live so producing high quality healthy food is a top priority. If you have a small property where you can produce a lot of your own food, that is ideal.

I have a 700 hundred square foot garden and to say that it’s tough to grow produce in a small, confined space without having pest and fungal issues, is an understatement. I plant everything so that they all get plenty of air and space to grow. I water properly and never over head.
I use compost all the time, I’m always cleaning, pruning, watering, feeding etc. I use covers on some crops to keep pests away, I deal with, chipmunks, voles, moles, raccoons, deer, opossums, squirrels, insects, frequent weather changes, fungal diseases, you name it, I get it.

I’ve tried to be as clean as possible because we are going eat this food. I’ve tried using only organic means of dealing with all of these issues with only moderate success at some times and very good success at other times. I’ve gone away for a couple of days only to come home to find some plants heavily damaged. If I don’t use some of these sprays, as little as possible, I have greatly reduced yields. I told myself I’d give up to 30% of my yields to nature. When that turned to 70% on some crops, I changed my tune.

Reality is a bitch and all we can do is to strive to learn and do the best we can to work towards the ideal of all natural gardening. It is something I believe in and I hope it is a top priority worldwide going forward.

mountainoutlaw

View attachment 18850182

Wait is this really the size of the plants you are spraying with systemic pesticides? This is the first time in my life I see something like this. Wouldn't you rather just pull them out and start over? If the little seedlings are too small to endure an infestation, why not keep them in smaller pots away from that spot, until they are stronger? Why not try to fix the grow spot before moving the seedlings there? If you have a full ecosystem it usually should regulate itself to the point pesticides of any kind are rarely needed, unless you already destroyed it with pesticides to begin with. This is baffling.

My seedlings are a similar size.
View attachment 18850183

There are funghi flying everywhere in the garden at the moment. Why would I start spraying them with systemic funghicides, when I can just keep them indoors for a few weeks until they are stronger?

You seem to get really triggered over oRgAniC PeOpLe but this is not a organic vs synthetic issue, it's a poorly planned grow issue. I know quite a few people who use synthetic pesticides and I have never heard of anyone using them on seedlings this size.
Dude HAVE YOU EVEN READ POST????? I HAVE NOT SPRAYED ANY PESTICIDES ON PLANTS.....THE JARS.. THE JARS WERE AN EXPERIMENT.....I REPEAT TRY READING POST

mountainoutlaw

Welp, thats all folks! End of thread, half of you cant see that the insecticide was A CONTROLLED TEST IN JARS.....THE PLANTS WERE WASHED IN PEROXIDE AND WATER AND NATURAL BACILLIUS BEFORE TRANSPLANTING...THEY HAD ...AH WHATS THE USE.
over and out

revegeta666

PLANTS WERE WASHED IN PEROXIDE
lmfao

Sorry you are right that I stopped reading your post after you crying about organic yippies because I am used to deal with adults. Good luck with your plants and your caps lock key.

But I would like to address those who are comparing the use of pesticides in general agriculture and in cannabis growing, because it's actually an interesting subject:

The reason why there are so many pesticides being used in agriculture is 99% of the crops are monoculture. For intensive agriculture it is more efficient in terms of production to have a single crop, but this comes at the cost of not having an ecosystem that auto regulates itself, which leads to the abuse of pesticides. If you search "permaculture" in Google you will see that it is indeed possible to farm with minimal use of pesticides. Not at an industrial level, but definitely for your household. Growing many crops at a time in the same plot ensures biologic diversity and attracts the kind of fauna that takes care of pests that get out of control. You only need but a few flowering/aromatic plants next to your cannabis plants, to attract all kind of natural predators and build a self sustaining ecosystem around them.

Lastly, I see a lot of people in forums mentioning this or that pesticide being safe to use if you leave X days before harvest. But these safety rules are made for products that are eaten, not smoked. It's not the same to eat a tomato that was treated with pesticides, and smoking weed that was treated with pesticides. Your digestive system does give you at least some kind of barrier for a substance being absorbed, unlike the lungs which have none.

Personally I live in tomato land and have tomato fields all around my house. In the summer if there's a windy day, spider mites will appear on my cannabis plants. Having californicus mites as a preventive will control the advance of the spidermites. It's one application a month. If the infestation gets out of control, it is solved in a couple of days with a single application of persimilis. Abamectin and other insecticides will take care of the spidermites, but also of their natural predators which will make the reapparition of the pests a lot easier, forcing you to keep using insecticides again and again. Spidermites also develop tolerance to chemical products l, meanwhile there is no tolerance to being eaten :ninja:

So is it possible to grow vegetables without the use of pesticides? Absolutely.

Last edited:

mountainoutlaw

Crying? I got to say...i dont think you know what your talking about.

This was an experiment to see if i could save a few seedlings using alternative methods...jjst

Latest posts

Latest posts