What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most effective synthetic insecticide

mountainoutlaw

Im being preventive and using some light neem oil sprays and pyrthem .

But say all hell broke loose and you had to choose your go to all around most effective synthetic...what would it be?

Malathion..triazicide, permthin, ortho 3 in 1, or perhaps something not mass marketed. Please, im all ears

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When one has a need for synthetic insecticides it's long after an imbalance happened in the environment. If a plant is weakened by growing conditions insects will manifest on the plants as nature's way of getting rid of the weaker making way for the strong. Sick and unhealthy plants need to be sprayed but not the healthy ones.

Rather than spending time and effort dealing with insects, its better to build a strong growing environment with healthy microbes and organic matter that produces super plant growth.

Synthetic insecticides-The main classes consist of organochlorines, organophosphates, carbamates, and pyrethroids.

revegeta666

Keep your growing area clean and you most likely will never need to use one of those. Some of the grow tents you see on forums look just disgusting and make you wonder if they are growing weed or breeding bugs.

I think that's the main reason people are always dealing with infestations and PM etc. Clean your tents once a week with bleach and pest problems will magically go away for the most part. If it's too late then may I recommend the use of predators which are very effective indoors and should make unnecessary the use of those products you mention I haven't even ever heard of 🤷‍♂️

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When the time comes that I have to use any kind of insecticide like malathion..triazicide, permthin, ortho 3 or fungicides, I will stop growing completely. That stuff is poison and I wouldn't even have it in my enemy's garden. Never use any of the above indoors ever for any reason. Maybe a little cold-pressed neem during veg. as a preventive but that's all. Be safe for yourself and others. Like revegeta666 says keep your garden clean as you can is the best policy.

mountainoutlaw

OMG, you hardcore organic guys kill me with this stuff. If your not 100 percent organic your not cool and your products no good. All i asked is whats most effective synthetic....look I GET IT, i prefer to be chemical free too, shit...you eat fastfood, use deoderant, breath around a running car, clean your microwave with certian products..eat produce from big chain stores. Theres chems.

Yeah keep my garden clean, wipe down my tent, problem is i dont grow in tents, i grow in large rooms and large plots of land, and to be honest ive tried neem oil, spinosad, garlic extracts, ect ect...and I gotta call it like i see it, that stuff sounds good on paper but its a mild repelant at BEST. The market and industry has hyped this shit up so much and its selling. I havebt been online in many years but its like a fad.

Look, if you got a normal job and have a hobby tent for personal, that stuff can be effective ...after many uses...and id do same...but i aint got no normal job, i dont live in a legal state or province and dont want too. I gotta eat this winter and pay bills, and i gotta grow to many godam tomatoes and watermelons to pay the bills.
Ive had 25 x 25 plot of very highgrade cash crop devoured by these pest. (Red dot spider mite)...and let me tell ya, when your deep in wilderness , insects are abundant and mean, you can dump all the cold pressed neem oil or whatever...and the leaf miners and thrips will use it as a chaser to wash down that piece of new growth they just ate.

I dont use nothing on flowers, and 90 percent of time, after you get through first few months they arent as much threat, but if i bust my ass 8 hours a day , mending , tilling, attending nursery, carrying heavy shit for a month, ill be damned if these spawns of hell is gonna take half or nearly all my labor. And a drop of gentle dish soap in kosher water with a hint of peppermint oil aint gone cut it,

Im not advocating using chems, im just asking what most effective in mainstream these days,

Im not putting down organic, hell small vegtables gardens, absolutely, but I am saying the shit just aint what the companies claim it to do and its ineffective on larger scale and in deep woods. Period. and ive tried many...many diff ways..and it may be a temporary deterent at best.

And the shits overpriced.

Now look, it aint just me, its the corn farmers and vegtable farmers, we notice theres an abnormal population of flying pest this year and shit may get outta hand. Many spidermites out cause i been checking some native trees and shrub,

So, Im asking earnestly, anyone ever had to use something serious for serious risk of loss.

Btw..did you know you consume and are exposed too chlopyfros (aka dursdan, banned in 2001) constantly? Research it, it sucks, and i agree less dangerous chems, but different situations are different means.

I use formid for mites so got them covered. Now thats being prevenitive.

Thanks fellas
-mountain outlaw

mountainoutlaw

And oh yeah...you can have PERFECT conditions and PERFECT balance a hoard of mites or aphids dont give a shit, they are gonna eat, their bugs thats what they do.
The BEST organic preventive is dia earth in my opinion, ....you guys kill me.

Did you know spider mites destroy about 1/3rd worlds crop?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I don’t think that is the place Creeper is coming from, he is trying to help.

Can you post up as much info as possible about the grow, or a link to your grow journal?

Often times members come on here and they want to hear that X bottle will solve all their issues immediately. Nobody wants to have it suggested that underlying issues need to be addressed first.

mountainoutlaw

Underlying issue, heavy insect population.
Fragile vegging plants highly suseptable.

In general Im wondering what fellow cultivators are using these days as a synthetic back up, i can already tell gonna run into some heavy aphids and maybe beetles, grasshoppers, ect.

I have the proper miticide and avacide, but thinking bayer m75 for anything else,
Just found out , group 1 thats about to go out to field has root aphids, i really hate to root drench with a chem, so im gonna do some soil changing for em and dunk those roots. Prolly a hp/h20 dunk. Nice and clean.

Yes you can do a neem drench, but that doesnt eliminate them as they will just come back 3 or 4 days, but im just gonna change the medium as i just was out checking it and no issues with it.

Not lookig for a magic bottle of X, just an effective synthetic foilare treatment if i get over ran. Which may happen...

I would like to post this op as it is pretty extreme as far as location, off grid, but im researching how to disable geotagging from photographs, and not too keen technology.

I may sound little rough round edges but im an old mountain hippy dude, its just funny to me hkw these days everyone is right out the gate on this everything organic kick and how some these treatments are touted as effective eradication methods. Maybe with a tent and few plants, maybe small back yard grow, but in larger applications thats surronded by dense and deep woods, its pretty useless, this is from much experience.

Thanks fellas
-mtnoutlaw

St. Phatty

Safer's Soap - but you have to dip the plant - EVERYTHING.

Which is not easy to do with 10 foot tall plants that have 1 ton of root mass.

Has the same effect on spider mites as Toxic Waste Acid Man scene from Robocop.

( Maybe it wasn't acid. Maybe it was Lye ? )

Also with Safer's, you have to take eggs into account, and dip every 2 or 3 days, a few times, to get most of them.

mountainoutlaw

Yeah, those mites tore me a new one and ill never forget it, my go to is forbid for adults (one time treatment ) and next day i have a bayer avacide i do for eggs...lots of people dont know spider mite treatment is a 2 phase deal, adult and the ones about to hatch...

I apologize if i came off rough to other posters...heres what i ment on so many less words. Seems like everytime I mention something chemical wether its nutrients, fungicides, or insecticide....the first thing is always how I need use only this or that bc its safe and organic and how they use it....listen thats great, i been doing this off and on sometime now, and if i was seeking organic alternatives id ask. I know some chems are harmful, especially misused, and i know alot of diy natural remedies, im not asking for a moral lecture, im well aware of potentials as i am a farmer, just what everyone else is using when it comes to chemical insecticides, thats all.

St. Phatty

Yeah, those mites tore me a new one and ill never forget it, my go to is forbid for adults (one time treatment ) and next day i have a bayer avacide i do for eggs...lots of people dont know spider mite treatment is a 2 phase deal, adult and the ones about to hatch...

I apologize if i came off rough to other posters...heres what i ment on so many less words. Seems like everytime I mention something chemical wether its nutrients, fungicides, or insecticide....the first thing is always how I need use only this or that bc its safe and organic and how they use it....listen thats great, i been doing this off and on sometime now, and if i was seeking organic alternatives id ask. I know some chems are harmful, especially misused, and i know alot of diy natural remedies, im not asking for a moral lecture, im well aware of potentials as i am a farmer, just what everyone else is using when it comes to chemical insecticides, thats all.

Are you growing for the free market or the regulated market ?

The regulated market tends to demand perfection.

The free market ( some call it the black market, but to me, the regulated market is the black market ) simply demands Quality.

For my own pot, I expect a few spider mites - the ones the ladybugs didn't get around to eating.

It's easier outdoors.

If you're indoors, you have to INSPECT like crazy, maybe get some extra optical gear so you can spot problem plants and get them away from the other plants.

mountainoutlaw

I grow for whatever market wants a honest product and has got honest legal tender, i dont need no regulation on whats i believe is a god given right to grow plants of any nature. I started outdoor long ago as a helper on a farm way out, and as i got older went indoor and have been indoor many many years. Now I wanted to try and tough it out in woods way away like the old schoolers did. I go to town on weekends and clean and rest up, somedays i wanna quit, but i know i cant leave my girls and i wanna say i did it, lots of bears possums racoons snakes and deer, and so many insects you couldnt imagine...i got poison ivy, spider bites, no see um bites but man i tell ya...some days its fun as hell, improvising and making things efficient. And you feel like a kid playing out in woods.

I aim for quality and original genetics...some hard to find and they gotta be hardy out here...id say most of my main outdoor line is strong afghan genetics and my most admired is of an older white widow and another widow from spain i believe....my personal fav for me is NL x Haze from serious seeds i believe, love that earthy clean taste and beuatiful flower structure...what a treat , gotta have good bag appeal, if it aint sparkling and cured to perfection I throw it in the hash material pile.

As far as regulated market...well...idk...theres some good and some bad. I like to think of mine as craft and hand selected, im very hard on myself about it . Flower nutes all made by me, oitdoor i dont use salt fert, as I do indoor, indoor im dyna gro fan. No doubt. Like that dyna gro line

This ride here is gonna be a tough one, already is.

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Just noticed outdoors. Best bet is predatory mites. Any spraying is moot unless you can get every millimeter of bottom of every leaf, 5 times 3 days apart, and then if they are around will be back. Heard Chrysanthemum are a favorite, so could try as decoy. Some kind of massive fogger could help on large plants.

igrowone

Veteran
I too am a humble organic grower, so far in my micro grows I've managed with organic solutions
that said from my readings on this fine site 1 solution does seem to stand out as the nuclear option
hot shot no pest strips, if they don't work you'll probably want to abandon the property

Loc Dog

Veteran
I too am a humble organic grower, so far in my micro grows I've managed with organic solutions
that said from my readings on this fine site 1 solution does seem to stand out as the nuclear option
hot shot no pest strips, if they don't work you'll probably want to abandon the property
I got the borg from strainly clone seller, 2 spot spider mites that were hardened in Colorado warehouses and immune to everything. Just lost thousands of dollars worth of top shelf genetics after 7 month battle. Went back and forth between fighting them and fighting mold from all the spraying. At the end in 5 X 5 tent had 2 no pest strips for 4 days and they were still running around. Going to bug bomb rooms a few times then release predatory mites when I start up again in a month or so.

Loc Dog

Veteran

Also, neem needs to be cold pressed, mixed with a little surfactant and only good for 12 hours after mixing.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I got the borg from strainly clone seller, 2 spot spider mites that were hardened in Colorado warehouses and immune to everything. Just lost thousands of dollars worth of top shelf genetics after 7 month battle. Went back and forth between fighting them and fighting mold from all the spraying. At the end in 5 X 5 tent had 2 no pest strips for 4 days and they were still running around. Going to bug bomb rooms a few times then release predatory mites when I start up again in a month or so.
That is what concerns me about the OP using chems, bugs quickly become immune, then you have a population of superbugs. Pesticide with mechanical mode of action are much better inmho.