What's new

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

windrunner1

Hey roman......thanks for the tutorial. i have seen this in my ownplants but, luckily, none of my clones survived. You can bet I'll be doing some housekeeping before my next round.

the gnome

Veteran
There really is a disease of cannabis, the hemp streak virus, that is probably more common, and also closer to the symptoms many have shown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber_mosaic_virus

I ran across HSV looking for other things and found one pic on yahoo search/images that looked like the probs I have in my hemp streak virus post here... but once again I don't think the pic really shows a plant with HSV, just like the pic in the 1st page post#7 of this thread.
getting reliable info is a prob in this area,

but I believe most of the TMV complaints here are caused by other things and not a virus. and its cheap as can be to just get the test kit for 27bucks and you can do 5 tests with it.
i know of only 1 person other than me to actually get it.

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I think we can all agree that this is probably not TMV. What we're dealing with, like you said, is probably HSV or a similar virus that afflicts our favorite plants.

I haven't had a nutrient or Ph problem in years, but I have had wilting/slow-growing plants which display these symptoms consistently. If it's my fault and I'm missing something important I'm more than happy to own up to it so long as my girls get better! No ego here, only a need to get my shit right.

Landmark

Had a whitefly infestation and all of a sudden this started showing up

I cannot seem to get Veg back to a healthy state, using Maxibloom, hempy buckets, all perlite. I take it it's the kiss of death?

señorsloth

Veteran
I cannot seem to get Veg back to a healthy state, using Maxibloom, hempy buckets, all perlite. I take it it's the kiss of death?

have you tried adding cal/mag? i have read a lot of people are able to supress the symptoms with a higher than usual dose of calcium.

i have had it on my chemdog ibl's now since mayish, i didn't see the virus till i revegged them, then bam! it popped up... it hasn't jumped to my og kush, even though they have been grown right alongside each other since sprout, even sharing the same soil in my flowering beds, in addition to cloning without cleaning the blade or scissors between plants, and also having a mild fungus gnat infestation for a little while...the virus didn't spread to my ss ak47 either, though they are all dead now, i didn't take clones but i did pollinate a few popcorns with chemdog sperm and i am seeing it coming out in all of my seedstock, they are about a month old and maybe 9 days flower, and one started from birth, extremely blistered, and is just starting to overcome it, it's extremely small and weak, the rest of them are showing small patches of blistering or those holes in the leaves.

originally i just thought it was a symptom of reveg, but it's quite obviously the virus, i get leaves where one of the blades will be half normal, and the other half shrunken, and blistered, so that the whole blade sort of hooks toward the viral side.

i didn't think much of it because only a few leaves were affected on each plant, though now looking back, i had about 8 out of 48 plants show a strange expression...i took 12 clones each from 4 moms, 3 chemdog ibl. and an og kush, i tried my best to keep my clones separate based on what mom they came from, and flowered them in what i thought were separate rows, 2 rows of 6 for each pheno. i had 2 almost identical looking pheno's(completely different smell and taste)growing side by side in rows, but out of those 4 rows it looked like i had a 5th pheno/strain mixed in! i had the 8 plants that looked like a crappy version of the pheno's i picked, by week eleven they had barely started to ripen, had fluffier buds with much less trichomes, lighter green color, no smell or taste at all...they yielded a lot less too.

i was bewildered at the time, i assumed that the 2 pheno's that looked identical only looked that way because they weren't mature yet(first flowered at 26 days from seed), and one got slightly better and the other pheno somehow got way worse...not only that but i somehow had less of them than i thought and had gotten them mixed in with the other pheno... it sounds ridiculous now but at the time i didn't know what to think, and i spent over 3 months revegging them so i didn't remember exactly how each pheno looked in bud. i am now pretty sure those plants were the ones most affected by the virus...

i'm flowering out all my moms right now and all my leftover seed stock, by upping the cal and mag i'm hoping to keep it suppressed enough to get one last harvest off them, however this round i have a few tops that are affected much more than before. after they are done i'm tearing down all my panda film and putting up brand new after i disinfect the hell out of everything. i have new genetics in the mail already.

i can tell you one thing i am never growing chemdog ibl or any chemdog cross again, as i know this came from chemdog ibl, probably not the breeders fault since chem d apparently has it and the line is based on that clone.

it seems though, that if this virus is jumping around all over the place on different genetics it's going to get a lot worse (indoor growing would make it spread faster). i mean indoors you usually have more plants squeezed together than outdoors, cloning is mostly done indoors, and fungus gnats jumping from plant to plant probably spread it more in tight sogs than they do large spread out outdoor gardens.

so am i wrong to thing that basically ANY breeding with virus infected stock is not only reckless but immoral? when you have breeders using lines that they know have the virus, and creating new hybrids with the virus, then spreading it to hundreds of grows across the world? you would think that would be about the worse thing you could do to the entire cannibus gene pool! yes i know that means chem d crosses and ibl's would all have to go.

another point to note, is that this is reported on many of the elites, bubba, trainwreck, urkel...and yet not all bubba's trainwrecks, urkels, ect...have the virus...so whats going on? it seems to me that it's caused by the age and popularity of these clones! basically at the top of the family tree the original elites didn't have the virus(in theory) then it got passed down to other growers and the clones began to spread and multiply among more and more growers, most of these elites are 10 to 20 years old, so chances would be very high that in that time some of those elite clones were grown in gardens that had the virus, and most people don't seem to clone sterile (even when they try too). it would seem very likely that the older a clone is, and the more widespread it is, the more chances that entire portions of those family trees could become infected. the higher up the tree the infection happens, the more widespread the virus would be in that clone line... i would be willing to bet the real chemdog(the grower) doesn't have it in his line of original chemdog mom's, the same probably goes with the finders of the other elites that are now being sold with infected dna. i suppose the only way to know would be to track down the originators of these clones and ask them if their moms are infected as well, if not, then chemdog crosses could be made without the virus...

the only way to stop it is i guess for everybody to identify and kill it in all their stables, and for the entire growing population to start over with fresh non infected genetics, of course this will probably never happen, since the genetics can survive with the virus and a lot of people would probably rather keep a chem d cut with the virus, then kill it off and hope to get new, non infected genetics later on.

Landmark

have you tried adding cal/mag? i have read a lot of people are able to supress the symptoms with a higher than usual dose of calcium.

i have had it on my chemdog ibl's now since mayish, i didn't see the virus till i revegged them, then bam! it popped up... it hasn't jumped to my og kush, even though they have been grown right alongside each other since sprout, even sharing the same soil in my flowering beds, in addition to cloning without cleaning the blade or scissors between plants, and also having a mild fungus gnat infestation for a little while...the virus didn't spread to my ss ak47 either, though they are all dead now, i didn't take clones but i did pollinate a few popcorns with chemdog sperm and i am seeing it coming out in all of my seedstock, they are about a month old and maybe 9 days flower, and one started from birth, extremely blistered, and is just starting to overcome it, it's extremely small and weak, the rest of them are showing small patches of blistering or those holes in the leaves.

originally i just thought it was a symptom of reveg, but it's quite obviously the virus, i get leaves where one of the blades will be half normal, and the other half shrunken, and blistered, so that the whole blade sort of hooks toward the viral side.

i didn't think much of it because only a few leaves were affected on each plant, though now looking back, i had about 8 out of 48 plants show a strange expression...i took 12 clones each from 4 moms, 3 chemdog ibl. and an og kush, i tried my best to keep my clones separate based on what mom they came from, and flowered them in what i thought were separate rows, 2 rows of 6 for each pheno. i had 2 almost identical looking pheno's(completely different smell and taste)growing side by side in rows, but out of those 4 rows it looked like i had a 5th pheno/strain mixed in! i had the 8 plants that looked like a crappy version of the pheno's i picked, by week eleven they had barely started to ripen, had fluffier buds with much less trichomes, lighter green color, no smell or taste at all...they yielded a lot less too.

i was bewildered at the time, i assumed that the 2 pheno's that looked identical only looked that way because they weren't mature yet(first flowered at 26 days from seed), and one got slightly better and the other pheno somehow got way worse...not only that but i somehow had less of them than i thought and had gotten them mixed in with the other pheno... it sounds ridiculous now but at the time i didn't know what to think, and i spent over 3 months revegging them so i didn't remember exactly how each pheno looked in bud. i am now pretty sure those plants were the ones most affected by the virus...

i'm flowering out all my moms right now and all my leftover seed stock, by upping the cal and mag i'm hoping to keep it suppressed enough to get one last harvest off them, however this round i have a few tops that are affected much more than before. after they are done i'm tearing down all my panda film and putting up brand new after i disinfect the hell out of everything. i have new genetics in the mail already.

i can tell you one thing i am never growing chemdog ibl or any chemdog cross again, as i know this came from chemdog ibl, probably not the breeders fault since chem d apparently has it and the line is based on that clone.

it seems though, that if this virus is jumping around all over the place on different genetics it's going to get a lot worse (indoor growing would make it spread faster). i mean indoors you usually have more plants squeezed together than outdoors, cloning is mostly done indoors, and fungus gnats jumping from plant to plant probably spread it more in tight sogs than they do large spread out outdoor gardens.

so am i wrong to thing that basically ANY breeding with virus infected stock is not only reckless but immoral? when you have breeders using lines that they know have the virus, and creating new hybrids with the virus, then spreading it to hundreds of grows across the world? you would think that would be about the worse thing you could do to the entire cannibus gene pool! yes i know that means chem d crosses and ibl's would all have to go.

another point to note, is that this is reported on many of the elites, bubba, trainwreck, urkel...and yet not all bubba's trainwrecks, urkels, ect...have the virus...so whats going on? it seems to me that it's caused by the age and popularity of these clones! basically at the top of the family tree the original elites didn't have the virus(in theory) then it got passed down to other growers and the clones began to spread and multiply among more and more growers, most of these elites are 10 to 20 years old, so chances would be very high that in that time some of those elite clones were grown in gardens that had the virus, and most people don't seem to clone sterile (even when they try too). it would seem very likely that the older a clone is, and the more widespread it is, the more chances that entire portions of those family trees could become infected. the higher up the tree the infection happens, the more widespread the virus would be in that clone line... i would be willing to bet the real chemdog(the grower) doesn't have it in his line of original chemdog mom's, the same probably goes with the finders of the other elites that are now being sold with infected dna. i suppose the only way to know would be to track down the originators of these clones and ask them if their moms are infected as well, if not, then chemdog crosses could be made without the virus...

the only way to stop it is i guess for everybody to identify and kill it in all their stables, and for the entire growing population to start over with fresh non infected genetics, of course this will probably never happen, since the genetics can survive with the virus and a lot of people would probably rather keep a chem d cut with the virus, then kill it off and hope to get new, non infected genetics later on.

I have the EXACT same symptoms, I'll take more pics. The only thing to work so far is aspirin at 325mg gallon, its letting me finish out what I have. I've tried the cal/mag, Didn't work for me. I'm taking it all down. Really hope you fair better next go around.
Blessings:tiphat:

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
it would seem very likely that the older a clone is, and the more widespread it is, the more chances that entire portions of those family trees could become infected. the higher up the tree the infection happens, the more widespread the virus would be in that clone line... i would be willing to bet the real chemdog(the grower) doesn't have it in his line of original chemdog mom's, the same probably goes with the finders of the other elites that are now being sold with infected dna. i suppose the only way to know would be to track down the originators of these clones and ask them if their moms are infected as well, if not, then chemdog crosses could be made without the virus...

Yep - this is classic behavior for genetically uniform plants. Viruses spread rapidly through the lines, sticking around indefinitely. Due to little or no crossing (that is, favoring sexual reproduction over asexual) the virus thrives. Strong outcrossing these plants would likely produce new plants that are not afflicted, or show few symptoms, and further outcrossing would reduce it even more.

I bet our plants are so genetically similar to each other due to Dutch/N. American breeding practices that even if you outcrossed it with another worked line on say, the Bou, that the virus would continue to propagate. Only outcrossing it with a more varied genetic would there be improvements.

I have someone near and dear to my heart working on exactly this research area, except in a different system.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have some of those curved leaves on a few plants. Other then that there fine .. BS 2.2 has the crooked leaves

picture.php

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Let me ask this... Has anyone ever lost an entire crop of cannabis due to any of these viruses?
Ive seen it come and go from time to time with no sacrifice in yield or quality. This is also the consensus i am am picking up here.
Heres the unknown virus i have. Any input helps.

Last edited:

BlueGrassToker

The deficiencies are most likely the root problem, and the deformed leaves and growth patterns are a result of that root cause. Another root cause for similar deformities would be a genetic deficiency. I have really seen nothing in any of these posts that would lead me to believe that a virus is the culprit in any of these plants.

It seems folks are simply accepting that a virus is at work, when the other root causes are far more likely.

...just sayin'

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Well, most of the plants i pictured are doing fine now except for the OG'S that i recently took in. But ive read that its well known that lots of OG cuts have it. I found some mold on the carpet under a piece of poly a couple weeks ago and have seen not more problems since cleaning it up. It kind of made me second guess my analysis. I will keep everyone posted as changes occur.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Broad mites could be your problem

After having major issues for about a year, and upping micros, Ca, etc, etc and having modest success in treating my problems, I believe I can attribute most of my difficulties to Broad Mites. They are microscopic and reside in the meristimatic tissue and suck cell nutrients out and cause alot of problems that look like micronutrient deficiencies.

The black pistils some of us have seen at the start of flowering are likely because of Broad Mites. Its only after plants start to form resin is when my plants would usually begin to flower. Ive yet to see any mites on buds that are sticky, so I take it they dont like it.

Anyone with issues should check out the Broad Mite thread.

I hope this will help some of you that are having issues.

Dave Coulier

Veteran

After having major issues for about a year, and upping micros, Ca, etc, etc and having modest success in treating my problems, I believe I can attribute most of my difficulties to Broad Mites. They are microscopic and reside in the meristimatic tissue and suck cell nutrients out and cause alot of problems that look like micronutrient deficiencies.

The black pistils some of us have seen at the start of flowering are likely because of Broad Mites. Its only after plants start to form resin is when my plants would usually begin to flower. Ive yet to see any mites on buds that are sticky, so I take it they dont like it.

Anyone with issues should check out the Broad Mite thread.

I hope this will help some of you that are having issues.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Back to report. ALL of my symptoms have gone away. I firmly believe that a lot of the pics i posted were unrelated to any type of virus. Seemed to be a mix of things such as ph flux, mold/bacteria, and lack of cal mag. Every now and then, I still see some of the tell tale traits of what we are calling TMV, but not to any significant degree. Has not affected growth or yield AT ALL. Still pulling donkey d*cks! If i do have the virus, its a super mild form.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
I have a plant that has the "Plant Aids" The MosaicV , I had the plant since 1999
in the last 2 yrs she has gone to crap since , i acquired the Virus from a Popular clone place in So Ca.. "careful"... that was selling infected cuts , Since acquiring the cuts many of my stock has exhibited many odd symptoms and passed away.. i am an some what advanced gardener and breeder..

Symptoms are weak stunted growth over time , weak branches and shoots break very easy, smaller than normal leaves with slight wrinkling and very poor yield , extended flower times by as much as 2 weeks more than normal
with much smaller flower size and bracts , All though flavor and potency does not seem affected. No bugs pest or mildews of any type nothing was changed in environment or feeding regimen

Is it possible to self the plant or cross it without carrying the virus to off spring ??? Rbert Clake say's Seeds do not harbor diseases pest and virus's ??

Any thoughts?

031912203755.jpg

031912203712.jpg

031912203627.jpg

031912203253.jpg

can i scratch this virus off my list of possible viruses?

hving stunted growth with them as well.
031912204111.jpg

same strain, started at same time, been side by side under a 600w. ??? any advice would be appreciated.