What's new

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

RetroGrow

Veteran
looks like im screwed!
entire branches fall off!
I feel like my grow room has leperosy and aids.
asprin seems to help.
the virus has affected outdoor plants, indoor grows, clones, seed grown plants.... everything. unbelievably contagious virus!
im thinking of trying out many strains on the next grow in the hopes that ill find one that is naturally more resistant. it came into my life from a cotton candy clone that i got from a friend. if anyone wants more pics let me know, i have multiple grows going and they are ALL infected. i would like to help others out so that they can identify the plague that is mosaic. it exists, its real and other than the cops, its the worst possible thing that could happen to a grower.

Try Critical+. I find that to be the most disease resistant strain that I have tried.

R

riverrat7

My grows have been sailing along without any problems for years up until 6 months ago. An aquaintence gave me an infected clone and Ive been stuck with tmv ever sinse.

I remeber commenting on the hooked leaf of the clone the day he trojaned me with it saying what an unusual strain trait it was. Well he could have warned me that he was having problems going through his crop at the time and spare me of the misery of this fucked up dam near impossible cannabis disease.

Yeah Im having a bad day. Its been 4-5 months sinse ive been able to veg up anything whilst Ive unwisely chosen to flower the last of the efected plants. Loosing 3 long term keepers in the procces and even though the flowering plants are 30+ meters away and outdoors the virus has easily made its way to newly planted and bought strain seedlings. Big $$ and hard to get into Australia these days.

This is a serious fucking disease an I strongly reccomend the minute you see it or suspect it trash and burn your plant. Just plain irrisponsible to do anything otherwise.

Ive taken a few pics Typical of whats already been shown already here.

Thing is the trojan clone really only exhibited that very distinct hook leaf and not disease like symptoms right though its growth cycle but with in a couple of weeks my shivas got hit hard from it ( what I thought a bad batch of perlite at the time). It tookook me 2 months to work it out and by that time every other strain showed various symptoms from mild to catastrophic.

Ive easily lost upwards of 20lb, 5 months and a whole whack of stress to boot. Thrown out 10 or so 4 ft vegged plants countless new seedlings...

In the last week Ive had too chuck out 30 or so new offerings , Critical mass, shit (both mr nice) Kandy kush , and Bigbud because half of them clearly have the disease. This is after ive disenfected the veg room from top too bottom and all untensils, pots etc. I'm Figuring it has too be bugs coming into the vegging van from the last of the tmv plants outside and retransmitting it back. Only takes 1 bug and 1 plant to begin with and then your fucked allover agin.

Looks like Ill have to sit it out a nother couple of months before I restart. More fuckabout...

All i can say is becarefull who you you get your clones off and be sure to recognise TMV. Theres no room for it even amongst the lesser of growers. And tottaly agree with turbo . Other than the cops this is the worst thing that can happen too a grower end of story.

The pic on the right top44 X bigbud being the trojan clone.

R

riverrat7

both plants same age, same strain, same food, same everything except the larger one gets 325mg/gal of asprin added to her meals.
the taller one was repotted into a larger container a week ago.
it seems to me that asprin does help controll the symptoms of the virus.
notice the leaves and branches falling off of the little one, it has no hope for yeilding anything!

Mate it seems your making presumptions based on 1 plant. This virus efects same strains diferently on every occasion. From mild to wild even with same clones running off same res under the same light. 1 shiva will cop it the one next door seemes little efffected. Your aspirin theory is flawed. However shpw me 50 with aspirin and 50 without and maybe theres a connection. Just pisses me off when people base stuff with one plant experiments.

Peace out . sorry if im cranky but thats cause I am

RetroGrow

Veteran
Aspirin absolutely works. It's not a presumption. Aspirin boosts the plants natural immune system, which is, guess what? Salicylic acid, same thing in aspirin. Plants don't produce enough of it to combat some diseases, so that's why adding aspirin is a tremendous boost to the plants natural immune response. This is not an old wives tale or rumor of some sort. It's fact backed up by plenty of research, not to mention personal experience. Aspirin is a miracle drug for plants, and it has saved many plants for me. Do some research before you call someone else's "theory" flawed, because it's not flawed and it's not a theory. It's fact. Aspirin can be used as a soil drench, or a foliar spray. I have used it both ways and the results are amazing. Mixing it with Floralicious + and applying as a foliar spray will show positive results overnight.

http://www.plantea.com/plant-aspirin.htm

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/qa/aspirin-cures-plant-headaches.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/how_5383365_use-aspirin-plants.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg0213585812101.html

R

riverrat7

Its still a 1 plant experiment. I can put 2 shivas with tmv next to each other and treat them exaclty the same and have the outcome be just as varied. To me it proves nothing. Sorry for having a go though . I just get peeved when people come to conclusions upon single occurences. Perhaps the aspirin is working. Whos too say...

The best thing for this virus is fire. I belive the only way to beat this is to be ruthless and destroy any trace of plant matter that's afflicted by it otherwise you run further risk of passing it on to other growers. I wouldnt have got it if that had of been done in the first instance.

I'll add the majority of my plants with TMV have coped very well ,only exhibiting benign symptoms such as hook leaf, the rest being tottaly healthy ... Theres no way however that I'm willing to compromise future perfect grows by keeping tmv around. Imo that would be daft and shortsighted.

Rat

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
both plants same age, same strain, same food, same everything except the larger one gets 325mg/gal of asprin added to her meals.
the taller one was repotted into a larger container a week ago.
it seems to me that asprin does help controll the symptoms of the virus.
notice the leaves and branches falling off of the little one, it has no hope for yeilding anything!

I dunno those look like they might be rootbound, having lockout, ph problems. maybe too much hormones in a foliar spray too.

B

bonecarver_OG

" Five viral syndromes are described in the literature. In addition to these naturally-occurring infections, Hartowicz et al. (1971) screened 22 common plant viruses for their ability to infect wild hemp. Over half the viruses could infect Cannabis.
The hemp streak virus (HSV) is frequently cited on fiber cultivars in Europe. Foliar symptoms begin as a pale green chlorosis. Chlorotic areas soon develop into a series of interveinal yellow streaks or chevron-stripes. Some-times brown necrotic flecks appear, each fleck surrounded by a pale green halo. Flecks appear along the margins and tips of older leaves and often coalesce. Streak symptoms predominate in moist weather, flecks appear during dry weather. Leaf margins become wrinkled and leaf tips roll upward, leaflets curl into spirals. Whole plants assume a "wavy wilt" appearance.
The hemp mozaic virus has been described on fiber cultivars in Europe and drug cultivars in Pakistan. Symptoms were described as a gray leaf mosaics. Three other viruses have been cited on European hemp—the alfalfa mozaic virus (=lucerne mozaic virus), cucumber mozaic virus, and the arabis mozaic virus. Many insects transmit these viruses as they feed from plant to plant. According to Ceapoiu (1958), the worst vectors of Cannabis viruses are bhang aphids (Phorodon cannabis), greenhouse whiteflies (Trialeudodes vaporariorum), onion thrips (Thrips tabaci) and green peach aphids (Myzus persicae).
"

http://www.hempfood.com/iha/iha03111.html

as you can read the description of the virus is very well done, and makes it easy to see atleast none of the plants on this page has any hemp mosaic virus.

R

riverrat7

I hesitate to call name it anything but call it tmv for names sake. Fact is the sideways curl of cannabis is a clear indicator that you may have it.

Ive had the pure , and shiva for 3 years without a hitch sudddeny i get given a plant with the sideways curl then within 3 months all my plants are suffering these same symptoms? If theres no correlation i'll eat my hat.

My bet is that its a virus of some sort but im no expert. All im hoping to achive is to be free of it and move on.

It is real what ever it's scientific name.

Rat

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Take a cutting, put it in some miracle gro. Put it under some fluoro tubes in a closet that isn't adjacent to your grow room. Leave the door cracked so it doesnt get too warm, but don't put a fan on it. Give it nothing but water and don't foliar spray it at all. Let it achieve several nodes of fresh growth, you might see something different.

Reworked from scratch backwards!

Point is, before you assume the worse and go into containment/purge mode, you should eliminate all the variables because this leaf blade swerve may be indicative of something other than a virus!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Its still a 1 plant experiment.

It's not a one plant experiment. It's been used for many years by many people, including myself and many others on this board.
It works, and there isn't any question about it.
There's no cure for TMV, and most of the photos in this thread are not TMV.
People are calling everything TMV.
Leaf curl alone does not necessarily mean TMV. With TMV, you have blistering of leaves.

Yumbolt

I def have this shit from cali club clones I purchased. I've read all this thread and have no doubt in my mind it's here. It's not the plague but the lesser variety. Still blows. I have a bunch of aspirin from last grow and am willin to test I again on a couple. How often do u use the 325 mg dose? What's ur exact procedure? Crush add to nutes or Plain water whichever she is due for? Peace hope everyone

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I thought I would share my two cents, since I have had many of the symptoms shown in this thread. Especially the pistils that die and turn black/dark brown and prevent flowering. Ive battled with this problem for many many months now. It was like, one day I just couldn't flower a plant, even though I had previous crops that had no such issues.

I got my media tested to see if it was a nutritional problem, and the results came back with low Ca, Mg, S. On the high end of normal levels of Na. Manganese wasn't even detectable, so I was clearly deficient in that. Zinc was poorly supplied. Other micros were just barely in the acceptable range including, Boron, Copper, and Iron.

This prompted me to purchase a Micronutrient mix to add to my fertilizer mix. And I made other changes to increase, Ca, Mg, and S to try and improve my situation.

I had two plants in 'flower' that clearly were not going to flower. The pistils all died quickly and the calyxes were small and hard. After testing the pH of the media, I saw that I needed to lower it from about 7 down to 6. I flushed the media first with water that had been ph'd to 4.5 to eliminate all alkalinity. Flushing doesn't reduce media pH. This was done to give me a reset, so I could take the corrective actions afterwards. Afterwards I put them on a Urea feed with additional Micros and Ca. An ammonium based fertilizer will lower pH faster, but 100% Urea will work as well, but just a bit slower. Within two weeks, both plants were flowering normally.

The Malawi Gold is slower to recover than her Skunk/Haze counterpart, but she is flowering normally though with no more pistils shriveling up. The Skunk/Haze mom has inches of new healthy growth coming out of the tips of many buds that looked horrible just a month ago. I actually think she'll deliver my biggest yield yet at this rate.

Another variable Ive encountered with my problems is that my water source is very high in Chlorine. 160 ppm, which is beyond levels that are considered tolerable by most plants. Thanks to Spurr Ive begun to use Ascorbic Acid to neutralize it. How much of a role its played Im unsure, but it definitely hasn't helped.

I dont believe that I personally have a virus with my plants. I think it was me not taking care of my ladies correctly. Im using a Peat/lite media with no extra amendments, so having a complete and balanced synthetic fertilizer is extremely important for me. I can't rely on Compost, etc to supply micros. Ive also had these problems before when I was using compost in my media, so it can happen either way.

Before everyone scraps their plants due to thinking its a virus, I suggest getting your media tested, as well as what you are feeding them if its synthetic. Only then will you have a better idea what is wrong. Im looking into finding a lab to test some petioles because I am still having these symptoms on other plants that are flowering, as well those that are not.

When I get that done, Ill report back with the reports along with visual symptoms at the time. Hopefully it'll help clear up some of these symptoms some of us have had repeatedly.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dave, who can test the media and how large of a sample do they need?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Dave, who can test the media and how large of a sample do they need?

Ive had my media and water tested by Fafards. They charge $35 I think. I still haven't received my invoice from them to verify.

Fafards requires just a pint of soil for testing. Quick turn around too. Within 5 days you'll get email results. You can also get testing done by Universities. They're cheaper, but Ive read its usually Students that are learning that do the tests, so Id rather send it off to a professional lab.

Fafards doesn't include any recommendations though with your results, but I think you can call them up and talk to a rep about your samples and get advice.

Ive also used Texas Plant and Soil Labs, but it costs $100 a pop for the test, and comes with recommendations. They're testing is more accurate because of a different method of test they use, but I can't afford it at that cost everytime, so Im sticking with Fafards for now.

greenops

My 3 week old seedlings are looking similar to those pictures.
I transplanted my plants twice and after every transplant the tips start to curl.
One plant has holes in the leaves, i thought from a fungus gnat or ph problem maybe. But the other two also show some discoloration on the leafs...

So what ya guys think?

Attachments

• P1010418.jpg
    P1010418.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010417.jpg
    P1010417.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010414.jpg
    P1010414.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 27

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I transplanted my plants twice and after every transplant the tips start to curl.
One plant has holes in the leaves, i thought from a fungus gnat or ph problem maybe. But the other two also show some discoloration on the leafs...

So what ya guys think?

I wish I could help you diagnose your problems, but pictures alone usually aren't sufficient. There are so many variables that could be the cause of your problems. I would suggest you test your pH and EC of the media using the NCSU Pour-Thru Method.

I would also use this link, so you can see exactly what you are feeding your plants.

Check out this link as well to compare your current nutrient profile to what is recommended. Slide 3.

Hopefully this will get you on the right track.

RetroGrow

Veteran

So what ya guys think?

Give 'em some aspirin, watch them improve.
325 MG tab per gallon of nute solution with each watering/feeding. Can also be used as foliar spray. One tablet per 32 oz. spray bottle. I add Florilicious +to that and it greens up your leaves overnight. Spray bottoms and tops of leaves, and use a penetrater like dish soap, Or Dutch Masters Gold in the spray bottle. Aspirin boosts plants immune system and helps fight any disease.
You'll notice a difference overnight.