What's new

Mosaic virus and Cannabis, Chem D etc...

If I realize a "full blown" Mosaic problem again. The next few weeks should tell....I will try my own Idea i came up with (prolly won't work ) but I will try everything. If it works I guess I'd be praised for years ...(I don't think it will work )..But like I said worth a try. My Idea, ....Some plants are resistant or immune to the "Mosaic virus's"...I will find one and "Graft" a infested cutting onto the immune or resistant plant. In the hopes some "cross immunization properties with transfer to the cutting. Much like a vaccine actually uses the virus itself to form protective qualities of a full blown infection.Wish me luck, or shoot my hypothesis down in flames ...lol

Rethinking craft

Rethinking craft

Actually, rethinking a "Graft" to a virus Immune plant. Prolly won't work. But a small piece of "immune plant stem material" placed under a cut in the infected plant may work. As I have "super cropped " many times (sometimes breaking the branch) only to have it heal itself and recover.

I went out in yard and noticed some of my "House plants" Not cannabis plants,.. in the yard had the exact same ragged cut leaves and mottling patterns. "Summation" ...If you ever get it you will always have it until you move.

Most variegation and crinkle leaf in cannabis is from chromosome damage, not mosaic virus. UV radiation or xray both can cause damage leading to ring chromosomes, happens to seeds in transit or under bulbs producing to much uv radiation. If virus was reason all your plants would be dead or useless. Read Barbara McClintock's work to learn more, and/or add extra kelp to watch plants with this issue go extra variegated and crinkled. Don't believe me check the research and end all your worries. Virus infected plants die, ring chromosome plants mutate and make unique specimens:peacock:(ex. blueberry, chemd,fireOG). Just go easy on the kelp and excess uv radiation.
AgD:tiphat:

Applesauce

hey PK when you say that do you mean your cut has this leaf variegation trait like in the pic?
View Image
VG

I get this same thing in a pheno of C99 BX1. I have observed it for over a year now while it grows alongside many other strains and nothing is affected. I share trimmers with other plants and still no spread. The variegation remains consistent like in that picture while the plant stays healthy. I thought it was broad mites and it is not that either. This is genetic in my opinion and not tobacco/hemp mv. If is indeed genetic it makes me wonder, what other strains is this observed in? ChemD, and I can claim C99bx. Btw, the plant with this variegation is a large yielder and blew the other c99bx expressions out of the water.

I think c99 can be seen as an mg whore. ca/mg go hand in hand so "ca/mg whore".

doneit

Veteran
Its not mosaic. i know from personal experience that with the chems its a MAG deficiency.

With Chem d, adding 5ml per gallon of calmag magically removes any signs of the deficiency.
If using RO add 5-10ml, with tap 2-5.

Try it!

M

MrSterling

Chem D is definitely not mosaic virus, and certainly not tobacco mosaic virus. It's just simple variegation.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I don't know if it's just simple variegation, MrS.

Reason being, the variegation can be reduced significantly, if not completely, in some instances. Providing high levels of plant available magnesium have helped improve the leaf appearance for a handful of growers so it would seem to be a nutrient deficiency related variegation.

The thing is, there's a cut of ChemD that doesn't show the variegation so we know it didn't always have it and I don't think growers have to treat it much differently than other varieties so it would seem not to have a nutrient deficiency related variegation.

Considering the central role of magnesium in chlorophyll I wonder if there is more to the connection some are seeing? I came across an article about chimeral variegation but had never heard the term before. I'm just spit balling at this point...

A chimeral variegation develops when some of the plants tissue loses the ability to produce chlorophyll. Maybe the "mutation" affects the plants ability to process magnesium effectively? I know it sounds weird, why wouldn't it affect other nutrients or the plants metabolism in general? It's just that I've seen plants improve from certain feedings so there's something there... or the appearance of something there. :D

Alanje

Mosaic?

Mosaic?

picture.php

Bongstar420

I brought in new plastic for the floor and my entire room did this more or less....some plants were heavily effect while others barely at all....

You sure the plant isn't just sensitive to chems in the air?

I know the plastic was full of vapes as I could smell it. I was running very low air exchange with CO2 and Dehuy to keep temps up. I kicked on the vents and everything recovered (there were a couple of plants that were almost not effected at all from the same seed lines. Some seed lines showed more effect than others)

I got TMV a decade ago from using Tobacco spray. It causes extensive necrosis.

Here's a Purple Pakistani's from ace that shows heavy variegation..This was the only plant out of the pack of seeds that did this the others definitely did not have this much variegation.. IMo this looks very similar to all the supposed TMV people claim to have infecting their plants

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

also a good read on TMV, from what I gather it cannot be transmitted via seed, at least in the embryo itself..
http://www.au.poznan.pl/ptfit/pdf/PP38a/PP38_103-106.pdf

Alanje above looks like it might be a virus since its outdoors and it does not look like the stuff I commented above. Alange needs to provide information about the area the plant is in. You cannot just look at a plant and diagnose it accurately in many circumstances. Many conditions are caused by secondary factors and a simple diagnosis of a disease doesn't do a whole lot to attain actual remedies.

Finally, you people are growing 20-50th generation cuttings. Its practically impossible for them all to be genetically identical at that point. If your ChemD has a TMV, it would likely spread to most other varieties fairly quickly since most people do not clean their pruning equipment religiously, TMV has high virulence with the ability to infect +350 species, and as far as I know no on has been breeding virus resistant Cannabis as a on purpose. Also consider that viruses besides TMV are more likely...Viruses from Hops for example. You see, hops have several viruses that are weak and tend to effect portions of crops with out becoming pervasive. I used to inspect a field of Sterling hops where half of the field had these viruses. The grower didn't care about it when I said he may have a virus in the field. SO

Last edited:

DenverJim

I grew a Durban/swazi cross a few years ago. It looked like this plant. I figured it was a genetic defect since the next year I threw a bunch of the same seeds in the ground two of the seedlings showed the same trait. The difference is that one branch was flat and wide. I figured it was because I used a feminized seed to make seeds. I tossed all of the remaining seeds. I've seen so many mutations over the years I just ignore them. Mostly

DenverJim

I had the same thing with the leaf edges curling and the shiny surface outside. I ignored it till the plant started flowering and the desease spreading to the plants next to it. The new growth was stunted. I looked with 100x micro. i could see the new growth but there were stumps where new nodes and leaves should have been. I figured it was thrips so i sprayed the ground an plants 3 of them with massive amounts of permethrin destroyed the plants. i finally figured out it was broad mites. Abamectin .15 EC kills them fast. i had small outbreak the next year haven't scene again.

Latest posts

Latest posts