What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

morocco,the rif mountains 2009

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
From malaga i took a flight to amsterdam to check out the hash and i must say that most of the stuff i seen was a load of bollocks.Mostly second grade looks good smells good but smokes like shit no bubbles and a mild high and for 12-15 euros what a joke.the rifman hash from damkring smells great looks good but the high is mild in my opinion.The only piece of hash i liked was from green place but at 15 euro a gram a bit expensive.All the hash i tried was moroccan to compare to wat i was getting in morocco and i must say i was not really happy with what i found.But thats just my opinion.Some people i know go to the dam love all the moroccan but i think they never seen gd resin so there happy with what they get again all just my opinion

i had to delete some photos to put more up so some cant been seen in the thread but am putting ALL PICS ON FLICKR SO EVERYONE CAN SEE THEM.please give me time as i can only upload some at a time.RESIN SEEKER

E

EvilTwin

again any questions ask away.RESIN SEEKER

Yo Resin Seeker,
Recognizing that you're not only an intrepid traveler, but also a hashish expert.

Perhaps you could give us a guide to the different grades of Hashish.

When you are first presented with some hashish to possibly purchase...what steps do you go through to assess it...to determine it's value?

A basic guideline would be very useful!
ET

lvclosetgrower "not all those who wonder are lost"J.R.R TOLKIEN. Eviltwin am by no means a hash expert that would be the skunkman in my opinion.But i do love a fine dry sieved resin which should be volitile on contact with a flame and has the same smell as the plants it came from and have a killer high.But to judge a resin i just use my senses LOOK,SMELL,TASTE,HIGH and i have a 100xmicroscope i look at the resin with.Threw time u get to to the good from the bad hope this helps RESIN SEEKER

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
do they look at you daft when you whip out the scope? or do they regard you with a new quiet respect?

lol :)

hi jamie i dont give a fuck what way they look at me am paying not them lol.but 90% of the dealers i met very helpful i would just show them the camera an tell am only back from morocco and ask for there best most were honest an told me OFF THE RECORD the hash i got in morocco was better and cheaper and i would be dissapointed with there product.the green place stood out because the dealer give me a bit to try and was really intrested in my travels a really nice guy think his names(mo) and in my opinion he had the best moroccan in the dam(coffeeshop)but was expensive 15 euro a gram

JamieShoes

Veteran
ahhh you mean in NL.. I thought you meant in marocco and wondered how that might've gone down ;)

hi jamie i bring the microscope everywere.In morocco i know the people making the hash but i still bring the scope an look at the hash.I like to look at the different qualitys an see the difference between first grade,second,third,qualitiy even if am not buying an because my friend know the people they have no problem letting me sit there a look at all the qualitiys there producing.as it was my first trip i wanted to cheak all the hash out even if am not smoking it to just see what there making in the mountains.RESIN SEEKER

JamieShoes

Veteran
thats good to know mate ... it' nice to know that the folks there don't take offense or get agro when you want to look over the goods close up :)

jamie if they dont let u look at the product its because most of the time its shit.the people i met were proud of the product so had no probs letting me"TRY B4 U BUY MY FRIEND"

after i made it home i was unpacking my bags an found 2 grams of silverbubble from grey area lets just say the trip was finished on a HIGH lol.RESIN SEEKER

limey

Hi

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on this thread. I have just got back from Morocco but I don't think I have enough to report to justify starting a new thread.

... this was my 7th trip to Morocco and I have travelled all over and spent months in the Rif. I can endorse everything Sam the Skunkman and resin_seeker amongst others have written here. The Rif is hash paradise but to find quality you have to get off your arse and out into the hills. Chefchaoen is fine (and a very nice place) and as a regional entrepot, some quality gear can be found here (classically Chefchaoen, Ketama and Ouezzane are the regional entrepots ; Chefchaoen is the most tourist friendly of the above). The best hash comes from the villages on the higher hills: there is more moisture higher up, so the plants have longer to ripen at higher altitudes ; some say that the higher UV levels at altitude also help with resin and THC production - in any case the higher villages normally harvest a little later than those lower down, meaning the plants are riper. Usual harvest in Morocco is during August.

Anyway...

Just got back from a winter sun trip to the South of Morocco.

Cannabis is grown all over Morocco but the Rif is where 99% of the hash comes from. So down south, unless you are very lucky, you will be buying hash from up North, with a mark up as you would expect - there's baksheesh to be paid on the journey south and for every hand it passes through another 40% or so gets added to the cost.

Taghazoute is a good place to buy in the south. The town is full of surfers... need I say more? I managed to track down the same dodgy dealer I found there 4 years ago. He was still dodgy but, well, he has the best hash I have found outside the Rif in Morocco and he deals to local dealers, which is usually a good sign. Three types on offer, I sampled all three for the sake of completeness:

Blonde "pollen" - the usual commercial rubbish. I dont think it had been mixed with henna or any of the usual admixtures but was typically acrid, adhered poorly (fluffy), even when pressed. This rubbish cons alot of tourists because it looks "fresh" and different from what you get at home. People are suckers for the "pollen brand" but anyone with an oz of sense will know this stuff is at the bottom of the pile, quality wise. 3/10. I have seen worse but I wouldn't pay for it.

Pale hash - this is the standard commercial stuff. Oily, pale brown, will fizz satisfyingly when touched to a flame. Would be considered good in the UK and standard in most of Europe. In reality, it's the lowest acceptable grade of resin in Morocco. Tasted slightly soapy (I mean, of soap, not "like soapbar"). Not really to my liking. Alot of this stuff on sale on the streets in Marrakesh. Would be maybe 5-10Dh a gram in chefchaoen. 10Dh per gram (that's 1 euro per gram) would be a rip off in my opinion. Will get you properly stoned though! 5/10

Ok, and what I bought....

Dark hash! - very odd. I have never come across hash like this in Morocco before. Moroccan has is normally pale or paler and oily. Sometimes very oily. And it usually is slightly astringent, slipping to acrid in lesser quality gear, with ?terpene? dominance in the flavours. Any europeans will know what I am talking about - Moroccan is pretty distinctive, flavour-wise. This gear was quite different - chocolate brown, a smooth, slightly sweet, slightly floral flavour. Waxy rather than oily. In texture it was more like (though not the same as) charas than hash. Not crumbly. Pretty much entirely a "head" rather than a body high. Not sleepy, particularly. Not drop dead strong but not for the uninitiated either - I knocked out a couple of French kids with one bong of this stuff. If you passed me this in Amsterdam I wouldn't believe it was Moroccan ; I would guess as Lebanese (though it wasn't red nor exactly like the Red Leb I recently bought from Katsu). I can only guess that it was grown in Morocco but from non-Moroccan genetics. Best hash I have smoked in Morocco? - close. Not the strongest but pretty much the best tasting. Everyone I shared it with (including some old hands) said it was remarkable for Moroccan gear (again, for the flavour rather than the strength). 8/10

And the damage? 450dh* (that's 41 euro) for 15g - or just about 3Euro per gram. That's expensive for Morocco but not bad for the south and would be exceptional if it had been a street deal.

Otherwise, I saw a couple of qualities in Marrakech, fitting into the "pollen" and "pale hash" categories described above. usually sold in 100dh (9Euro) deals of 2-3g (a freaking rip off to my mind but Marrakech + street deal = pricey).

So, still possible to buy great hash, at a price, in Taghazoute. One for the itinerary if you want some winter sun + smoke on the cheap (budget, for comfort, for Euro30per day unless you are camping or sleeping on the roof).

I improved my karma by donating what was left of my block to a charming japanese fellow I met in Marrakesh, as I couldn't smoke it all before I left! - left him a very happy man.

A final note - you may have noticed that I said not all cannabis is grown in the Rif. You may hear claims in the south that local honey is cannabis honey. As a former bee-keeper this confused me for a while - cannabis does not produce nectar. A bit of head-scratching led me to believe that they mean that the bees have been eating cannabis pollen (the male pollen, not "pollen") as they do this to produce food for bee larvae. So not cannabis honey but honey made by bees who have been eating cannabis. Go figure! Anyway - of course this means that there must be weed growing in the South. I have never seen any (I have only been to the south outside the growing season) but I am willing to bet that it is there... and then I got talking to a young berber guy who recounted that a mate of his had lived as an itinerant worker, walking from place to place in the south, earning his keep by doing day jobs. apparently he did some work "cutting kif" near Taroudannt. When the moroccans talk about kif they mean (herbal) cannabis for smoking, not hemp. Now Taroudannt is surrounded by "greenhouses" - plastic tents full of veg a la mar de plastico outside Almeria in Spain. This raises an intriguing possibility (for which I have no other evidence - sorry) which is that they are now growing weed under plastic in the South. Ah! the possibilities...

So, there you are. seeking some fun and sun in December? Cheap flights to Agadir from the Uk - £25 a pop. You cant go wrong.

*Note on price. I actually paid 300Dh (Euro27) + a pair of digital scales that cost about Euro15-20 but which needed new batteries (and actually may have been broken but without new batteries, I couldn't tell - they have been sitting around in my flat, unused, for ages). Digital scales are an excellent bargaining chip when buying gear anywhere in Morocco. All the dealers want them and very few have them. If you are going, worth picking up a cheap set from ebay or whatever and taking them with you. My dealer's eyes lit up when he saw them.

B

buddymate

Good story Limey,I had hashish-honey offered in Kashmir by one of the shikars,he argued black was white that the honey had the same effects as the cannabis the bees were collecting pollen from.

limey

Good story Limey,I had hashish-honey offered in Kashmir by one of the shikars,he argued black was white that the honey had the same effects as the cannabis the bees were collecting pollen from.

lol! sounds like the same deal. The bees might get stoned but I dont think that transfers through the honey...

... can report though that the oatcakes "we" made in Manali some year ago with charas and local honey were ooooooooooh so nice. Mmmm. oatalicious!