What's new

moonshine mix

Also after reading the GRAT3FULH3AD's thread "understanding inorganic salts" i'm no longer so convinced that Organic soil's are the end all be all.

Not to mention the fact that MSM isn't quite FULL organics with tea's and all that anyways. Yes i'm a bit bitter when it comes to the MSM and FoxFarms inconsistent quality. But also after reading that microherds essentially turn UNusuable organic materials into usable INorganic materials for the plants to feed on i'm no longer convinced GH 3 part and other chem ferts are all that bad.

just my .02 cents.

If I had the time and space i'd do head to head comparisons but for now i'm still flowing in MSM :)

IN the end ... Effectiveness is the measure of truth. To each their own :D

thal

Sorry to hear that you had bad luck with your soil. The FF products I buy look the same to me as they used to, and I haven't had any gnats or or other problems.

I love the MM and I have had nothing but outstanding results. I think organic growing is also the best way to go with regards to taste and potency.

But to each their own. Good luck with your future grows.

"It is worth noting:
N is not organic
P is not organic
K is not organic
Mg is not organic
Ca is not organic.
Without those inorganic minerals plants could not live.
Plants can thrive without any organic compounds."
-GRAT3FULH3AD

and i'm done :D

goodluck to you as well

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Sunshine makes an organic #4 mix been rocking that lately, works great..I too have heard of people having pest issues using FF, I have yet to experience it for myself..

For me this mix is mainly for the head..if you want a medium for high yields, this def isn't the mix, this is all about the flavor imo..

Have you thought into making your own organic soil mix???

NUG-JUG

I'm considering using Roots Organics Soil or possibly picking up ProMix/Sunshine bails and doing a BurnOne style mix. I don't want to switch to Coco or Hydro. I just want to grow some organic pot. Is clean soil too much to ask?

The way to roll imho

I'm just really at a loss here, I don't know what to do, any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Hey man if you stick around this forum long enough you'll see there's not much respect for the FF, Roots, or whatever in a bag. Roots and Fox Farm are even mixed alongside each other at some warehouses in the PNW. So you're not going to solve any root aphid problem, or fungus gnats by switching to roots, or Sunshine 4 for that matter. I use a version of Lc's mix with Sunshine 4 as a base. It has fungus gnats..so what...this is organics you can't be oc about bugs. A healthy soil web will prevent many pests from taking over..it's not so much eliminatation, as control.

Also re-use your soil..It only gets better.

thal

I'm in Colorado too, just a bit east of the continental divide. I recently purchased 10 bags of FF soil and didn't have a single issue with gnats, aphids, or any other pests. I bought 4 different types of FF soil too.

NUG-JUG

I could care less about the bugs...It's the price that chaps my ass when it comes to this stuff. I can mix up everything that's in FF or Roots for $3.00 a cubic foot compared too...$20-25? Although I have seen it for much cheaper lately..Still not a good deal imo....

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Sunshine#4, Age Old grow, Age old Bloom, budswell, lil molasses... Some of those pixs were done in ffof, with light warrior, and Humboldt nutes..

NUG-JUG

I would love to start reusing my soil. I've been checking into the organic soil recycling sub-forum a couple times a week. I've spent the last couple years dumping ungodly amounts of soil due to my living situation. This next round I'll be composting biological house trash as well (new house, back yard) so I'm super-stoked to recycle my soil. That was my only appeal to switch to coir, in fact. But I just love working with soil. Not sure if I could ever leave it. The feeling of soil running through your fingers is priceless.

Hell yea me too, Look into screening out large roots, but I've been going ape shit and just throwing it all in.. leaves, roots, except large rootballs\stalks. $8 a cf for FF is relatively cheap, and there's no reason you can't recycle that stuff. A backyard is an organic growers playground..it's where I'm going to grow nettles to use as my only veg fert. Homemade Compost is the answer to getting off the peat moss train (I'm not there yet either it's tough).

Absolut

I haven't been able to find a good peat source around here, so I'm leaning towards sunshine #4 with EWC, perilite, lime, epsom and bennies.

I can handle fungus gnats all day... no problem, but I hate root aphids. Without root aphids I should have cleared your average pound per light. But I was scrappin' 8-12 oz per light. Which is just unacceptable.

But, that was a root aphid related problem, from what I could tell. I feel like I could break my numbers with any soil that's not infested.

....dumping ungodly amounts of soil

I'm in Colorado too, just a bit east of the continental divide. I recently purchased 10 bags of FF soil and didn't have a single issue with gnats, aphids, or any other pests. I bought 4 different types of FF soil too.

I'm in CO also. Up in the mountains 2 hrs away from the city. Been using MSMix for my first grow and got great results. No gnats or aphids. Did get some powdery mildew from dispensary clones....

So far I haven't had a problem with FF soil. It does look darker than the 'east coast FF' mix. Last time I got a bag was about 2 months ago so I don't know if they changed the mix. Have they changed the mix at all (west coast)??

I know I PMed you mhm, but others might find it helpful here.

WHERE DO I FIND PULVERIZED/POWDERED DOLOMITE LIME???

Local stores only carry pelletized, granulated, hydrated, etc. etc.

I've been using the Granulated Epsoma 5 pound bags. Got a coffee grinder and made it a fine powder (with PLENTY of ventilation!!). My next grow is going to be much larger so this will not be practical.

trichome

Absolut,

depending on how local you are to where I am I can probably direct you where to hget the good horticultural powdered limestone. pmotw

AndrewGreen

does anyone using this mix have/or use a cook time for this soil im 3 weeks into veg and im wondering if with the added dolo lime needs more than a week or two for adjustment ? another thread advises 5-6 months for total effectiveness of the lime and im worried about lockout from diff ph zones in the soil . im transplanting from 1qt to 3gallon pots (maybe airpots)veg mix was basic msm mix W/O the fruit and flower . any suggestions are greatly appreciated

haystak 423

can anybody help me out, im doing a micro grow in a pc case, and im only using a 3gallon pot, what r the mix ratios, when i get a bag of each, ffof, fflw, ffpm, and "big chunky" perlite how do i mix a batch together, how much of each soil, and how much perlite, could i mix all three soil bags together and store them in a tuppaware box and store them? would i have to let it air out sometimes or no? any replys would be greatly appreciated,

trichome

mix the bags straight up 1 bag each... i dont add the extra perlite, you can for lighter feeding strains bearing in mind your watering schedule is going to change....
hope this helps :)

tr1ck_

Where do you guys find the large chunky perlite? I cant seem to find any at my local stores, they all have the same generic standard fairly small perlite.