What's new

moonshine mix

G

HighonPottery said:
Do you think the 1-gal containers will be a problem due to the watering schedule required for this mix? I guess I could go with 2-gal containers and just veg a bit longer, but I don't like side shoots. I read that you shouldn't over water this mix due to flushing out goodies...so would you water just until water comes from the bottom and be cool with it for like 2 days? or would you water lightly every few days and then do a soak here and there.
I've tried 1 gal, 2 gal, 3 gal, and 5 gallon containers with this mix. The bigger containers obviously yielded more but 2 galllon seems to be the sweets pot between yield and amt of medium. 1 gallon square containers yeilded very poorly even though i pruned very aggresively for one main cola.

I've always did 'full ' watering and let it completely dry out.

Hope that helps...

mysta177

All MoonShine

All MoonShine

I was thinking of doing 2 gal but im sticking to six 4gal square pots in a c13. usaully get about 5-6oz dried meds. Well see how this propetual harvest does. And if you were going to do the 1 bal get a fast strain like green crack it also is a very big yielder I hear. If I can remem it finishes in under 60 days.
Halfway there. :joint:
Headband?
9005mary1_1161.jpg

Kush
9005mary1_119.jpg

9005mary1_108.jpg

9005mary1_078.jpg

SFV
9005mary1_124.jpg

My lil Cabby
9005mary1_125.jpg

Last edited:
you use 4" pots to flower? isn't that kinda small? i've been using 4" pots to veg in after my clones root. I tried flowering in 1 and 2 liter containers and found them a bit small and was having to water frequently. One gallon containers are ok, but could use a bit more room for the roots near end of flowering. Currently experimenting with 2 plants in one 2 gal bag. Seems to be working out ok as they are at 40 days or so right now.

I just wish someone made 2gal upright containers since height isn't really going to be a problem. Maybe someone knows the manufacturer of the grow bags that all the hydro shops get, that way I can make a request for a variation of their product. Maybe I should try blacking out a plastic newspaper bag or go costly and buy some big abs piping and cut my own containers.

G

gratefuldawg

Soil beds, definatly watch out for over feeding, there'll be a lot of food in there. I tried a couple in a walmart shopping cart that I returned the other day, hope it still stunk,ha!. Had major over feeding problems, I was using just fox farm Ocean forest, didn't know about the moonshine yet. Probly wont need shit but maybe a little calmag, and maybe some guano the whole time. Dont really need to add shit in pots either, I like mine a little more nitrogen happy early flower, but like the man himself says "you don't really need to add anything at all".

TokenBlackGuy

Ever since i thought of using autopots for the watering.. Im now thinking bigger and maybe runnin a flood table with pots filled with this mix.. are there any members on ICMag who use flood tables to water their organic pots?.. It does seem feasible

I would run two tables side by side each under a 600HPS.. one for the younger plants that down drink as much and one for the mature plants.. then flood the table with like 5 gallons of water every 5 days or whatever it works out to until dry.. so they will be bottom watered..

G

gratefuldawg

That would be sweet TBG, you could go on some long vacations. I'd like to see that MSS you when you finish her. Nice score..

yeah, i'm not really interested in the whole soil bed thing as it doesn't allow for a perpetual grow. i think i will end up trying the 2gal containers with a slightly longer veg. i may have to veg my clones in 1gal pots so i don't shock them so much when they go into the fresh soil. i've been noticing a bit of N toxicity as i have been getting some ram's horn when i transfer my clones in to the bigger soil. it's probably due to cloning in 6-pack starts containers and transferring to small pots for the veg. next round i'll transfer into bigger containers from the 6-packs in attempt to lessen the N tox when they go into flower. it could also be due to me adding in too much blood meal to the soil mix.

as for the whole autopot idea goes...they sound like a great contraption, but they seem like they would saturate the soil too much and overwater. what i am planning to do is play around with this auto watering gizmo that i bought last year called a green genius. i bought it for my bonsai trees when i go on vacation. i plan on dialing it in so all i have to do is add more water to the res. and rotate my plants.

but at the moment space is an issue and i'm waiting to harvest a few plants so i can make room for the MSM trials.

G

gratefuldawg

Could anyone point me in the right direction for a good set of drippers/auto watering device that I could say for example.. Water on Thursday, go out of town Friday, and then have it water my plants on Sunday or Monday while I'm out of town?? That'd be fuckin awesome. Something that could give each plant like a half gallon or less out of a rez. I could probably build one my self, but I need to know of a timer that would do that, all the timers I've seen are just 24 hours. I need a timer that I can set a couple to go on a couple days later. I see a project comin up, maybe I'll start a Thread for it, it'd be good for all the organic freaks who like to travel, and can't trust people with SFV girls that are 45 days or so into flower,lol. Only couple fools that I could trust with that responsibility.. I know they could trust me, I'm the most honest kat you'll ever fuckin meet.

3BM

Hey Grateful:

There are plenty of digital timers that have 14 sets or so. They will turn on and off with each of these 14 settings and can accept different settings for each day of the week. They would certainly work for the task you describe. Run the pump to figure out how long it takes to move the amount of water you need, then just have the pump come on as often as you like for that amount of time. These timers are sold at homedepot/lowes and are around 20$. I use them for all my garden applications: fans, lights, co2, pumps, etc and have found them to be very reliable.

G

grateful:

yes it's very easy to do, besides the digital intermatic timer at lowes, you'll need a trashcan, I like the 45 gallon heavy-duty grey rubbermaid ones.

In the section where the sprinkler supplies are you'll find the 1/2 inch black poly tubing & all the fittings, it's pretty much like legos, draw out what your doing on paper and you'll find all the parts right there. Buy an inline filter, also in that section. For the drippers you'll want "pressure compensating" so you get even watering at each pot, 1 gallon per hour per hour button drippers are the ones I like, also get the tool to poke holes in the 1/2 inch poly.

You'll need a 1200 gph pump, I like the little giant "water wizard".

So in the trashcan, you'll have the pump, next you'll have the filter, above the water-level you want to use the 1/2 poly poking tool to make a hole so when the pump turns off you don't siphon all the water out of the trash can.

I zip strap the black 1/2 poly to the base of the plant stems and poke my holes & put the pressure compensating drippers on. Super easy to setup and saves alot of time in the long run.

G

gratefuldawg

hellya, thanks shiva/3bm.. Do you get an even distrubution of water on each plant? I was thinking something like a waterfarm with the circular drippers, I'm sure I can find somethin, maybe just put hydroton on the top of the plants for even distribution. Sounds like a hellof a plan, could turn out to be easier then hydro with a good environment and the simple moonshine mix. Maybe a couple times give em some Pureblend and some bat shit. I see myself snowboarding many places next season with this freedom, broke one of my vertabraes mid-way through this season, but I was perfectly fine at the end of the season..which is so f-in relieving, considering I could very well be paralized right now. To all you youngsters.. make sure that you have the trick totally planned out before you do it. and wear a fuckin helmet god damnit!! JK

I actually have the drippers from a waterfarm that I modified to dog shit.. Another tip.. Don't use the epoxy putty shit for a return line, get some gromits I think their called..Save you a whole lot of hassle, and money. I think I went through over $50 on putty and glue for 4 waterfarm buckets, leaks kept comin and comin.. I finally said..fuck this shit!! Time to get dirty again, and I couldn't be happier. A very cool friend here at IC introduced me to his mix..word up Jdog, and I'm sold on the core moonshine. Thanks to my man mysta too for startin this thread, and of course moonshine man for his decade plus of trial and error for us to all gain off of.

G

"Do you get an even distrubution of water on each plant?"

This what the pressure compensating drippers are for, the other types won't give you even distrubution. Irrigation is a lot easier than hand watering and doesn't take long to setup.

Last edited:

Danknuggler

i'm doing the mm mix this year outdoor.How do i go about incorporating mycorrhiza into this mix? I just read the organic fanatic thread but still don't get how to get those micro heards to come alive for me. Will my occasional alfalfa/molasses teas feedings bring these alive with the stuff thats already mixed into the soil or is there something special i need to do?could someone explain in simple terms how to do this exactly?nuggler

G

gratefuldawg

I'm pretty sure you don't need anything...maybe some guano and pureblend, but I think theres a bunch of micros in the soil. I think calmag plus has some micros in there, maybe try that. I think you'll be all good. How deep you planning on diggin the hole?

Danknuggler

Hey G-DAWG! THanx for the reply!5-10 gal containers. yeah i read that a little cal mag may be needed but as far as getting the mycorrhizal fungi to my roots and keeping it alive, does the moonshine mix have everything needed for them to thrive?Does simple watering bring the beneficial fungi alive by it'self or do i need to supplement with alfalfa meal/guano/casting and molasses teas to actually bring them alive to full potential? I'm able to access my outdoor plot so I CAN do whatever is best as far as watering/feeding.Hey flintstoners where r u????MYSTA????any help is appreciated here guys and gals. nuggler
i really hope i'm wording all this right and not confusing you all with some dumb question :joint:

3BM

Hey Dank,

Supplement the mix with a little Piece of Mind, read the revised mix posted by Moonshineman earlier in this thread. FF POM contains a mycorrhizal innoculant, and the FF soils contain worm cast which is a bacterial innoculant. The mix should cover the basics of the microherd. Watering with molasses will help establish their colonies, and can help revitalize them late in the season. If you really want to establish the colony water them in with a compost tea, or a commercial substitute (EA/EN is a good one). Hope that helps.

TokenBlackGuy

How long does just the three bag mix without the POM feed plants that are just started in veg? I have 2 week old plants that already have fadin on the bottom set of the leaves and was wondering if this is normal...
So with the mix without pom, did we make it weaker or stronger then oceanforest by itself?

mysta177

I would say stronger. i have not veged more than 2 weeks with this mix. What strain are you running? Are the all fading?

Danknuggler

Hey Mysta I'm gonna be runnin a Bubba Kush cross called (Bubba O Kush) indoors and i'm gonna veg for 6-8 weeeks i'm wondering if you have any ideas for making the mix a lil stronger for a long veg or do you think supplementing the mix with guano/castings/alfalfa meal teas would be the better option for longer veg times?