What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monsanto does not own General Hydroponics or Botanicare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viral505

fyi 'heavy metals' are essential plant nutrients, there's a reason they're added. All healthy soul has 'heavy metals' in it.

For sure man, I'm just concerned with the 5 main heavy metals that are attributed to major health issues. Arsenic, Cadmium, Mercury, Lead, and Nickel.

Cannabis is a dynamic accumulator and holds on to everything it can in the soil, or water. So you're smoking those metals it has taken in, you can't flush that out, metals aren't salts. So when you are making concentrates and smoking concentrates, you are therefore further concentrating the heavy metals the plant has up taken (and cannabis takes up everything in the soil, it is a dynamic accumulator). I'm not saying its possible to avoid heavy metal uptake, just saying to keep this in mind with the nutrient selection at hand when you're pushing your plants for max yield.

Here's what the CDC and EPA has to say about these 5 metals:

Cadmium - https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=46&tid=15

Arsenic - https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=18&tid=3

Mercury - https://www.epa.gov/mercury/health-effects-exposures-mercury

Lead - https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/lead/health.html

Nickel - https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=243&tid=44

Viral505

Have you checked your box of azomite or realized how leonardite is produced?

I know DownToEarth's Azomite has quite high metal numbers, but the Azomite company's Azomite metal levels aren't as high and are much safer.

I need to learn about the leonardite processing, I'm not sure how they do it here locally, but I do have a local source and I'm not sure of its contents or how it is produced. I'm sure its a byproduct of the coal mine so I'm sure its loaded with arsenic since most other labeled humates are. I do know that the Morningstar Humate is OMRI listed, though this means little.

different

Whew, now is a good time for a thread summary:

1. Monsanto does not own General Hydroponics or Botanicare.
2. Scotts owns General Hydroponics and Botanicare.
3. Scotts has a distribution deal with Monsanto for Round Up.
4. Scotts does not own Monsanto.
5. Monsanto does not own Scotts.
6. Scotts does not own Round Up.
7. Monsanto is a separate company that has nothing to do with General Hydroponics and Botanicare.
8. Old white dudes on forums act like little bitches.

Cannabologist

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First you say microbes and bacteria do nada, but mammoth P works? [/FONT]
You keep nitpicking and misreading posts WHY is it organic or microbe heads seem to always do this??

Fields are different from pots.... Like someone mentioned... RAINFORESTS are WAY different from pots. lol. All soils are different as it is.. Fields are all different.

I'd be hard pressed to think you'd want any of those heavy duty rain forest microbes in your pots breaking down your roots as your plant grows... And then dies... lol.. from microbes eating their roots.

AND are any of you guys using those microbes on your soils??? Maybe some... Do you STILL get a soil test to make sure you're on point like real farmers will do and then add as necessary or just go willy nilly??

I'm bettin in Willy he's got he looks he's got the pizzaz!

Look I never said mammoth 100% works, but yeah it likely is doing what is claimed, which is beneficial for you to add... Is it doing what is claimed in the VOLUMES they claim, do you get that much yield... Well no ones really done actual INDEPENDENT tests, the claims are claims made by the manufacturer, but I'll give them a lot of credit they did a good study, but I would like to see replication, lots of replication.

Dot dot..

Yeah and you have to add in fertilizer and do all these things to your pots. SO WHAT. No I dont have to know how you grow to know what is happening in your pots and with your plants cause I DO know how you grow and what is happening and what is doing the heavy lifting and what is working for you and not and what is important versus what is not and so on.... You are adding all this stuff from your yard SO? That doesn't mean anything. If you think it does you're wack. What it does tell me is that you have no idea (likely) what you are adding, have you tested those soil contents and amended (HA!) as necessary, and so on. LOL... Are you adding heavy duty rainforest microbes specially cultivated and evolved over millions of years to break down materials in short times? Do any of us grow in highly bioproductive rainforests where organic breakdown IS so fast and thus actually kinda uncommon to rare so it's kinda a non-starter in terms of whats actually going on with cannabis and how we grow it where we grow it (see why I DONT bother mentioning things based on a level of rudimentary logic I would assume other growers work upon)? And do you have a large enough colony count of these rainforest microbes to even do anything versus the dominant populations already present in your soil(LESS) medias... No.. The other guy was using them, not you. Hmmmm. Ohhh boy..

G

Gr33nSanta

You keep nitpicking and misreading posts WHY is it organic or microbe heads seem to always do this??

Fields are different from pots.... Like someone mentioned... RAINFORESTS are WAY different from pots. lol. All soils are different as it is.. Fields are all different.

I'd be hard pressed to think you'd want any of those heavy duty rain forest microbes in your pots breaking down your roots as your plant grows... And then dies... lol.. from microbes eating their roots.

AND are any of you guys using those microbes on your soils??? Maybe some... Do you STILL get a soil test to make sure you're on point like real farmers will do and then add as necessary or just go willy nilly??

Look I never said mammoth 100% works, but yeah it likely is doing what is claimed, which is beneficial for you to add... Is it doing what is claimed in the VOLUMES they claim, do you get that much yield... Well no ones really done actual INDEPENDENT tests, the claims are claims made by the manufacturer, but I'll give them a lot of credit they did a good study, but I would like to see replication, lots of replication.

Dot dot..

Yeah and you have to add in fertilizer and do all these things to your pots. SO WHAT. No I dont have to know how you grow to know what is happening in your pots and with your plants cause I DO know how you grow and what is happening and what is doing the heavy lifting and what is working for you and not and what is important versus what is not and so on.... You are adding all this stuff from your yard SO? That doesn't mean anything. If you think it does you're wack. What it does tell me is that you have no idea (likely) what you are adding, have you tested those soil contents and amended (HA!) as necessary, and so on. LOL... Are you adding heavy duty rainforest microbes specially cultivated and evolved over millions of years to break down materials in short times? Do any of us grow in highly bioproductive rainforests where organic breakdown IS so fast and thus actually kinda uncommon to rare so it's kinda a non-starter in terms of whats actually going on with cannabis and how we grow it where we grow it (see why I DONT bother mentioning things based on a level of rudimentary logic I would assume other growers work upon)? And do you have a large enough colony count of these rainforest microbes to even do anything versus the dominant populations already present in your soil(LESS) medias... No.. The other guy was using them, not you. Hmmmm. Ohhh boy..

Thank you so much for sharing your perspective. Is it ok if I ask for growing tips via private message?

Dot dot..

Ok just cause it's not a rain forest doesn't mean that bacteria aren't important. Honestly the only thing we really water into our pots after rock dusts are added are homemade ferments. We use the same ferments to kill algae on clone trays do we know they are active. Also these ferments are our CO2 generators.

Bacteria are extremely important in pots. But they're not the end all. But they're good enough to make organic farmers not feel like they need to be too educated lol which is more than you can say for fertilizer people

zeke99

If it wasn't Monsanto it'd be someone else. The problem isn't Monsanto, the problem is capitalism.

The 'problems' of Monsanto are problems we have with every multi-national corporation.

No, the problem is Monsanto. Specifically, GMO is bad science. Very bad science.

By the way, Monsanto is merging with Bayer. Bayer itself has an ugly history.

Absolem

Hawthorne just bought Sunlight Supply. They are like the Borg. Resistance is futile!

At least Craig the founder of Sunlight Supply got paid. Craig met an old grower a long time ago who was wiring his own ballasts for indoor grows. Craig took that information and started Sunlight Supply never paying the guy a dime for teaching Craig how to make and wire a ballast for indoor grows.

Rondon

Sunlight Supply just went down? Damn. They are gonna be after good ole Hydrofarm next. How many company's have they bought up to date?

BillFarthing

Veteran
At least Craig the founder of Sunlight Supply got paid. Craig met an old grower a long time ago who was wiring his own ballasts for indoor grows. Craig took that information and started Sunlight Supply never paying the guy a dime for teaching Craig how to make and wire a ballast for indoor grows.

He probably doesn't have to worry about it anymore, but somebody should tell Craig that the service at his company sucks. It's incompetence from top to bottom.

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
Who gives a flying damn what a company with a history of making products used in war crimes owns.

Status
Not open for further replies.