What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monkey Wrench Gang or The Real Awakening

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It’s the American “patriots” view of Canada as I see it. Unless you’re fighting our war on communism by blocking our border, it’s not in the news.

with that said. I don’t know the backstory. As reported, it seems a bit on the violent side.

? not really. It's a group of people who have had their land stolen, fighting back.

audiohi

Veteran
Where did they get the land?

ukraine-embassy-meme-01.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=744.jpg

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where did any group originally get their land?

Hint: They more than likely took it from someone else.

What is the real meaning of indigenous?
indigenous • \in-DIJ-uh-nuss\ • adjective. 1 : having originated in and being produced, growing, living, or occurring naturally in a particular region or environment 2 : innate, inborn.

Three Berries

What is the real meaning of indigenous?
indigenous • \in-DIJ-uh-nuss\ • adjective. 1 : having originated in and being produced, growing, living, or occurring naturally in a particular region or environment 2 : innate, inborn.

So they just popped up like mushrooms? Or did they migrate from somewhere else?

h.h.

Veteran

Well of course. I have some in my wallet too. I use it to buy food. Bought my property with it. Maybe not the system I desire, but it is what it is and it mostly works. I don’t blame money for the greed of man.
Being indigenous does not give a clan, nor a tribe, nor a country exclusive rights. Nor are they of a collective mind. That’s really akin to nationalism. It leaves no room for the nomads and the gypsies. Or the Jews. This isn’t a battle over the pipeline. It’s a battle for what a few view as their exclusive rights to the territory. The locals only attitude. Done in a violent manner. They don’t represent the majority. Only themselves.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well of course. I have some in my wallet too. I use it to buy food. Bought my property with it. Maybe not the system I desire, but it is what it is and it mostly works. I don’t blame money for the greed of man.
Being indigenous does not give a clan, nor a tribe, nor a country exclusive rights. Nor are they of a collective mind. That’s really akin to nationalism. It leaves no room for the nomads and the gypsies. Or the Jews. This isn’t a battle over the pipeline. It’s a battle for what a few view as their exclusive rights to the territory. The locals only attitude. Done in a violent manner. They don’t represent the majority. Only themselves.

It is not. You are mis-educated on this one my friend. It is a battle, strictly for the forests, waterways, other flora and fauna. I have been at the depths of Band politics and know how it works. Those condemning have been bribed and fallen prey to ugly money-power. They are told what to say.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is not. You are mis-educated on this one my friend. It is a battle, strictly for the forests, waterways, other flora and fauna. I have been at the depths of Band politics and know how it works. Those condemning have been bribed and fallen prey to ugly money-power. They are told what to say.

In the north the gas-oil guys have a name amongst the woodlands Indians dating back at least to 1980s > money-ass

h.h.

Veteran

I wish that was the just of it. It’s inter tribal politics turned ugly. There’s no need for it. Reports of workers held hostage and occupied cars being set fire, may be false or exaggerated, but what they did was outright destruction with no positive end goal in mind. Just a small group demanding that things are done their way. I can understand their anger. Like any other protest, that is no reason, it’s not an excuse for violence.
Save the earth at what expense? The point becomes mute when we take up arms.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish that was the just of it. It’s inter tribal politics turned ugly. There’s no need for it. Reports of workers held hostage and occupied cars being set fire, may be false or exaggerated, but what they did was outright destruction with no positive end goal in mind. Just a small group demanding that things are done their way. I can understand their anger. Like any other protest, that is no reason, it’s not an excuse for violence.

violence manifests in many forms
war has a long memory

armedoldhippy

Veteran

they consider making the pipeline too expensive to build, thereby saving the ecology of their homeland to be a positive end goal. will we keep okaying any and all extractive industries until there is nothing left to extract, and destroying much of our planet in the process in order to further enrich the already rich? save the earth at ANY expense, short of destroying it. making money for billionaires is the worst damn reason i can think of. you don't keep doing the wrong damn thing just because it turns a profit at others expense. there are those that would cut the very last tree or kill the very last mating pair of an endangered species to make a buck. are you one of those? and before you ask, yes, i would put construction workers & miners on unemployment to protect what wilderness & clean water we have left. why wait until there is nothing left to protect? fucking ridiculous...

h.h.

Veteran
they consider making the pipeline too expensive to build, thereby saving the ecology of their homeland to be a positive end goal. will we keep okaying any and all extractive industries until there is nothing left to extract, and destroying much of our planet in the process in order to further enrich the already rich? save the earth at ANY expense, short of destroying it. making money for billionaires is the worst damn reason i can think of. you don't keep doing the wrong damn thing just because it turns a profit at others expense. there are those that would cut the very last tree or kill the very last mating pair of an endangered species to make a buck. are you one of those? and before you ask, yes, i would put construction workers & miners on unemployment to protect what wilderness & clean water we have left. why wait until there is nothing left to protect? fucking ridiculous...

But they don’t. They simply provide sympathy for the oil companies. Most folks don’t like violence.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But they don’t. They simply provide sympathy for the oil companies. Most folks don’t like violence.

Only machinery was damaged. Which is worse? Violence upon machines or violence upon pristine forest lands and rivers you can drink from?