What's new

mom plant suffering

grapeman

Veteran

I can't.

Because RO water or not you still need to determine the PH and fix it if needed.

hmmm maybe. Maybe not. "Organics for Beginners" thread is a good start. usually properly made soil can tolerate ph swings in the water... unless it is extremely high or low.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

......usually properly made soil can tolerate ph swings in the water... unless it is extremely high or low.

And that you won't know unless you test it.

High Quality meters are the most dependable ones to do that with but one can use paper strips or Aquarium/Pool liquid tests as well as long as they cover the proper PH range.

On a side note using water with off PH values over an extended period of time never is good, properly made soil or not.

MHHSP

I do use test strips, they are not exact but its in the 4.0-8.0 range.
I also do use a similar LC recipe with sunshine mix #4 only and 2 tablespoons lime per gallon.

FinestKind

I do use test strips, they are not exact but its in the 4.0-8.0 range.
I also do use a similar LC recipe with sunshine mix #4 only and 2 tablespoons lime per gallon.

Even better... GH sells a pH Test Indicator Kit... you fill up the vial about 1/2 way with the runoff/nute solution/your pee, etc., then add 5 drops of the indicator, and compare the color. It's really accurate (I've compared it to my meter), easy to use, and goes from 4.0 in whole numbers up to 6.0, then 6.5, then 7.0, so you even get the "sweet spot" of 6.5 in there. The best part is, it's like $12 and lasts a long ass time. If you can't afford the meter, shit can the strips and get this instead- you'll be glad you did.

FK

MHHSP

Even better... GH sells a pH Test Indicator Kit... you fill up the vial about 1/2 way with the runoff/nute solution/your pee, etc., then add 5 drops of the indicator, and compare the color. It's really accurate (I've compared it to my meter), easy to use, and goes from 4.0 in whole numbers up to 6.0, then 6.5, then 7.0, so you even get the "sweet spot" of 6.5 in there. The best part is, it's like $12 and lasts a long ass time. If you can't afford the meter, shit can the strips and get this instead- you'll be glad you did.

FK

Very nice, sounds like something worth looking into.
Possibly mail-order.
thanks!

MHHSP

Checked my first clones again today for roots, 18/36 were rooted and I transplanted into soil mix, that was slow! 16 days and there is still 18 more I left in there to see what they do, as they all look healthy.

I'm guessing it was slow cause the moms were not 100%. btw the moms are looking excellent, a little sparse from all the cutting, but they are 100% healthy again : )

And on the second batch of clones (36)... its day 5 and they are looking good to, a little dark green, worried the mom may have had a bit much N in her tissue.

So I'm behind schedule as I need 57 healthy cuts asap, but looks like they will come slowly but surely, better than dying moms and no clones. haha

MHHSP

ok stopped being lazy...
some pics of the moms now...

And the newly rooted clones...
in the back powerhouse clones, the foreground flat is powerplant seedlings

and the powerhouse clones just transplanted...

the clone area I made with unrooted clones going...

FinestKind

Yeah, mom's looking great, what a difference! I guess that root trimming is the way to go... now I know. How much did you cut off the root ball?

The clones are definitely slow because of the unhealthy mom, happens to me now and again. Good luck!

FK

MHHSP

thanks man,
Like mynamestitch said about 2" from the outside of the container and 2" off the bottom, he also made a note of being careful not to cut the main taproot.

peace bro

grapeman

Veteran

And that you won't know unless you test it.

High Quality meters are the most dependable ones to do that with but one can use paper strips or Aquarium/Pool liquid tests as well as long as they cover the proper PH range.

On a side note using water with off PH values over an extended period of time never is good, properly made soil or not.

Disagree. Testing will do nothing for you in determining whether or not your properly made soil will self regulate ph in the water. Only growing in a properly made soil will tell you that.

Testing the ph of your water will never tell you anything about how your soil will handle the ph or the irrigation water.

But, even though I make every effort to make a good soil, I too ph my water from time to time. Mostly I don't though, and have not experienced any problems lately since I started making my own soil.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

OP is having a problem with the water, not the soil.

And as far as your above post concerns...soil will only buffer the PH of water to a point and not further.
That's per watering and especially over time as well.

Do yourself a favor and try it out and you will see.

Latest posts

Latest posts