What's new

Mold proof jungle strains

D

Dalaihempy

Rainman said:
Beanho - Hawaiian Sativa x SSH
Greenhouse - Hawaiian Snow
Seedsman - Hawaiian Skunk

Dali - I dont think he asked for elite hard to find Hawaiian Sativa genetics but something that could take the weather and give great returns. So quick to try to jump in and try to correct folks! Dont you get tired of being the leper at every party?

Rainman try re reading my replies.

The reson i sed local hawiian sativas would be perfict is becouse sativas are perfict for hot humid and rainy weather but you knew this right.

A sativa is branchy and has airy flowers thin leafs so it can take advantage of any air flow / breez to deal with high temps high humidity and heavy rains .

Rainman said:
So quick to try to jump in and try to correct folks!

Yes you are Rainman.

dan woody right kalimist is a very good line.

W

Whatever

Gawd a good Kali Mist pheno is GREAT! For sure you don't want a large, dense bud structure when dealing with high humidity enviros. Once had a room of various clones and while rot was not an issue powdery mildew sure was and my Kali Mist cuts were the least affected. Humidity that cycle was pretty darn low and can only guess how bad some plants would have been if more humid. The Bubbleberry in that grow, and half of the C99 phenos, were very hard hit.

When talking resistance maybe take a look at a product such as Messenger? Based on harpin proteins supposed to really kick the plants immune system into gear. Higher calcium is also supposed to help and maybe even more silica? Some say a dose of aspirin promotes larger buds but also better powdery mildew resistance.

We're talking two things here right? There's powdery mildew and also bud rot (or grey mold - botrytis).

JITAMON

Aloha :joint: I have grown Kali Mist, but only on the dry side. I Like that strain. I want to get something that is not already dated here. We have grown Jock Horror with pretty good success, really tasty and nice bud. I am looking at the Congolese and Swazi gear. The African strains seem to really like Hawaii. So does the Burmese. I really liked the Ak-47 and the White Widow, grew lots of both and the crosses I made. Tried Holland's Hope one time and even though nice plants, the high was lacking and they got rot. My bro grew K.C. Brains NL special and his White Widow and gave me these 8-9 oz plants cause he didn't want to trim them, real nightmare. Took me and two bro's 2 days to trim all that shit :nono: But boy were they big. Smoke was average at best. One of my Fav's I want again is Swazi. The Swazi cut I used to get was outa this world. Even grew some from seed's a couple of runs.
I guess I'm looking for something that isn't just the best strain suggestion for my area. Trust me, we probably have already grown it. :rasta:

I have been looking into this strain called Tikal from Ace. Sounds really good, from the jungles of Guatemala. Also like the Congolese. Has anyone grown these in the jungle?

As to Bud rot and Powdery Mildew, two different things. Both are prevalent here with the wrong strain. Gotta have a resistant line to make it here :rasta:
:jump: I am sooo glad that I might be sucessful with Kush buds. I love a good Kush :joint:

devilgoob

Veteran
Swazi.Holland Hope.Afghani (GN).Mighty Mite. C99

Try those, I went through the outdoor strain guide a few times.

JITAMON

I have been looking for PNG and can't find it ,can anyone help me with my search? How do ya think Mikado would do in the jungle. Remember, it does not rain all the time. It can dry out for weeks and month's at a time. Also looking at Paradise' Sativa Spirit Anyone have any reports?

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Maybe if you dont want the sativas to get too tall is there anyway you can make moms and take clones? Put out a ton of clones right when they get rooted and they shouldnt get to that crazy sativa height.

Last edited:

JITAMON

Making mother's and clone's is possible with electricity. Not all of us are lucky enough to have that privilege. It is possible to root clones outdoors in long season. I am wanting a mid size heavy producing mold resistant strain. I want to grow from seed. I am looking for something new and exciting :joint:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You need a Sativa that is early. Late Sativa's will grow big like you say you don't want.
Or try planting the Sativa's extra late and maybe they will stay small enough for you. Or find a Sativa/Indica hybrid that is mold resistant. I can't think of one off the top of my head, almost anything with Indica blood will mold easier.
My friends in Hawaii have almost given up growing Indicas out doors unless they are on the dry side of the Islands.

-SamS

There are many great strains that grow outdoors in the islands. My favorite has to be blueberry. Your best bet to get great yielding, mold free, new and interesting herb is to make your own crosses. In fact it doesn't even have to be a cross. The more you breed strains here the more they develop specific traits to survive in the hot humid environment. You can grow almost any strain here given the right location. And yes green harvest is a byatch, biggest waste of federal money and man power in this state. Peace

L

levant

JITAMON,
About the PNG,
Try signing up at the Vibes Collective forum,
PM me on that site and I may be able to help you out.

E

ElectroSticky

JITAMON said:
Aloha, I have grown ALOT of Hawaiin sativa's. I no longer do so because they are known to get large and the copters and rippers have a field day. I am looking for something that is more compact so we can hide them easier.
I have Jamaican seeds that were bought from a grower in Jamaica and will be grown in Hawaii for the first time. I also have BlueDiesel and Big Sur Holy from a friend in Big Sur, CA. Some Silver Haze from L.A. and Purple Durban from Humboldt,CA. I am looking for something that might be better than these new goodies'. I can get local seed galore. I want some mold proof gear that is cutting edge.

Yeah the flyovers are something else. They pull 100,000 plant's a yr at times.

It's been said already!

.... find a landrace sativa and let her adapt to the big island.... (i would go with colombian , cambodian , or african) ....

:rasta:

but it seems to me that you have a lot of strains already...... :joint:

JITAMON

Thank you for the info everyone :rasta: What everyone does not understand is just cause it is a Sativa does not mean it will do good in my environment. Second thing is bag appeal. Everyone grows some kind of Hawaiin, African, Mexican, Columbian or Thai sativa, market is flooded with tha' stuff. I can get most any tropical Sativa seeds I want from friends. I am looking for NEW idea's so I don't have the same shit everyone else has. When one lives on an Island, same smoke over and over again gets old. I don't want to sound rude by saying this, I appreciate every single bit of advice :joint:
What about mold resistant Indica's? We can grow indoor plants outdoor here. Are there any jungle Indica's?
I really want to grow out some Kush genetics, even if it takes a lot of work. OG Kush, Master Kush and Hindu Kush are all some of my favorite smoke. :joint:

Last edited:

Gert Lush

Veteran
JITAMON said:
What about mold resistant Indica's? We can grow indoor plants outdoor here. Are there any jungle Indica's?
Perhaps, but not that I know of.
Thing is, indicas come from extremely dry mountain conditions (albeit cold) and their fat, heavy buds would be prone to bud-rot / mould very quickly. The humidity in the Hindu Kush is pretty damn low, I am told by people who have visited there.

That's why everyone says "sativas" - they are often jungle plants.

Any heavy-indica-style plant would have to be bred. Sorry I do not know of any offhand. In your position I'd start off by looking at KC Brains offerings, some interesting stuff there. Perhaps also Reef's Burmese, they look nice and compact.

I am quite surprised to hear anyone say that they are bored of Hawaiian sativas or Hawaiian-grown Africans and Thais. Back in the day such stuff was pretty close to the Grail. Perhaps the strains have deteriorated somewhat, with all the persecution.

Or perhaps you just naturally prefer indicas, not everyone like sativas.
However, Kush strains in the conditions you describe would need indoor grow and dehumidifier, IMHO. Of course, I am open to correction. Someone must have worked on a mold-resistant indica, but I don't think it's an easy problem, coz it's not just about genetics, it's a physical thing (tight bud structure).

I am quite surprised to hear anyone say that they are bored of Hawaiian sativas or Hawaiian-grown Africans and Thais.

I have lived in the islands my entire life and never get bored of the Hawaiian sativas, African's or Thai's. In fact anything grown here is fabulous and seems to pick up the flavors and vibe of Hawaii. Most of the commercial herb sold in Hawaii is not from Hawaii, with the majority being imported from Northern Cal, Oregon, and Washington. I would say 10-15% max is from the islands. With that being said we are always getting some fine chronic from the mainland, and a lot of it is indica dominant which provides a nice alternative to the island bud. The best thing about growing here is you can grow any strain here. There are some many micro climates depending on what side of the island you are on you can pull of indica's with budz the sizes of a women's calf or long season sativa's. Jita I believe you will find it easier to alter your growing location, environment or methods rather than finding a mold resistant indica.

Here's a plant that I grew outdoors. Even though it is a sativa/indica cross I was able to get some fatty budz with no mold problems. Aloha.

Gert Lush

Veteran
TropicThunder said:
In fact anything grown here is fabulous and seems to pick up the flavors and vibe of Hawaii
So glad to hear that. Almost got me worried there, for a moment. :D

Jita I believe you will find it easier to alter your growing location, environment or methods rather than finding a mold resistant indica.
That sounds like some pretty solid advice, actually.

JITAMON

Aloha, I wanted to say I am in no way sick of the fine homegrown. I am simply looking for something new. I do not buy much import at all. In fact 90% of the bud I see and smoke is grown locally. I didn't have to buy weed for the last 8 yrs. Everyone I know grows and most of them got seed from me. I have no problem staying stoned :rasta:

I was thinking maybe I need to ask this question. Are there any Indica's that are known to be at least mold resistant?, doesn't need to be mold proof. Reason I say this is cause we do have extended dry periods. Sometimes for months on end and in that time I can harvest a good Indica crop. Even better question might be is there any strains I should stay away from cause they have NO mold resistance at all? I am looking to get some gear from the Sbay and don't want to waste my time and money. :joint:

Tropical Thunder, what strain is that bush :nono: Is that grown in the Islands?
How about the buds you showed, what kind are they? I know Blueberry grows good in my environment also. Just dont have a good yielder. The Blueberry going round my circle came from Dj Short himself and is not a big yielder. I have grown a bunch of Blueberry crosses and the best one was our BluWidow. This is a cross of the 98' Aloha White Widow and Dj's Blueberry. What are you running with success?

Sometimes a tight bud structure helps out. When the buds are tight it makes them mold proof cause the water can't get down deep in the bud where the mold starts. I have seen airy Sativa's mold to shit cause the buds had water down deep in the bud. Go figure. And here ,the strains that have a lot of small leaves in the bud mold cause the leaf gets the rot and fucks up the bud. Any strain that makes frosty calyx's right from the start is a winner, these strains seem to be the one's we grow most frequently.

Last edited:
G

What mold are you talking bout?

Basically 2 types of molds that effect cannabis in my experince.

There are:

Powdery Mildew...Comes from high humidity, poor air circulation, and crowded plants which kinda all go hand in hand. It is a white powder that grows on leaf and stem..

Boyrtis aka Budrot... mainly comes from genetics..Certian strains are more susceptible...Trapped water in the buds(like after a heavy rain)..Bad air movement, high humidty also doesn't help...

I found Sour D to be highly mold restistant to Boyrtis...I mean it could rain all over them in late flower and there would be little, if any risk to bud rot...I'm pretty sure this has to do with the bud structure..In general sativa's are gonna be more boyrtis restistant and indica's being more susceptible...The reason why being, that sativa have more of a fluffy bud structure..letting in air...Where indicas are more dense trapping in moisture...

Hope that helps!

peace
GreenLion

Jita, I would recommend anything from KC Brains. His strains grow exceptionally well in the islands, even the more indica dominant strains do well here. They do have a tendency to get very large so I would recommend controlling the height to keep green harvest from spocking them. Use pots to limit size or training techniques. The strains I have pictured are sativa diva, hawaiian donkey dick and some bagseed. They were all grown outdoors north shore, and you know how rainy it gets on the north! I love DJ shorts blue berry, but you are right, its not a heavy yielder, but sooo tasty and the high is my favorite.

JITAMON

My bro grew K.C. Brains NL special and his White Widow and gave me these 8-9 oz plants cause he didn't want to trim them, real nightmare. Took me and two bro's 2 days to trim all that shit But boy were they big. Smoke was average at best.
What K.C. Brains are good?
Tropical Thunder, do tell about that bush. I just dont see how green harvest didn't see that one :nono: Thats is the kinda yield i need in da greenhouse. I am impressed with your Paka bro.

Thanks Jita. KC's Leda Uno and Mango are great. High yielders, good flavor, fatty budz. Not a one hitter quitter but good smoke, super easy to grow and no mold problems. Next year for the long season I am planning to do a Hawaii out door grow of Ak-47, Alpha Diesel, White Widow, Bubblegum, Blueberry and MK-Ultra. I wanna see how some of these fair in a tropical setting.

Green harvest found that large sativa diva. I was stupid and tried to get greedy, we learn from our mistakes. I did get a couple premature branches though. The plant pictured that is drying was also large, almost a lb of budz. Im sure green harvest saw her but she was potted up in a tree and they diddnt bother. Green harvest doesn't seem to mess with plants in tree's, its to much of a hassle for them.

Im sure you will pull off some fat yields in your green house. Do you use shade cloth or corrugated plastic on your green house to hide what's inside?