What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mold on Dead Leaves @ Bottom of Plant- Help Please!!

So I opened up my veg closet today, only to find a lot of noticable mold at the bottom of some of my veg plants :wallbash:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Right now the plants are in a closet of my flowering room, with 2 passive intakes and 1 exhaust at the top (180ish cfm, and the space is 90cf). Other than the exhaust fan there is no other air circulation in the closet (I know, I'm an idiot and have been meaning to put fans in for days now).

I am very worried about the mold spores traveling through the exhaust and into the flowering room and infecting my girls in week 4. I cannot have this happen! Way too much on the line financially right now to take this risk.

What do people recommend I do? I have no experience with dealing with mold before... I read the sticky and read about powdery mildew, but not sure if this falls into that exact category. Products I should use? The room is sealed btw with a dehuey.

Obviously I need to get more air circulation in the closet, but until I deal with the mold I fear this will only make the mold spores travel around more.

Help!

This is definitely a good wake-up call and reminds me that I HAVE to stay on top of my shit. I've been meaning to trim up these plants and install the circulation fans for days, but kept putting it off. No more of this procrastination!!!

StoneyK

Veteran
Your humidity is too high. Remove the dead leaves an wipe off or remove the rest of the mold. Never leave dead leaves like that in your soil.
Lower your humidity an you will be fine.

Your humidity is too high. Remove the dead leaves an wipe off or remove the rest of the mold. Never leave dead leaves like that in your soil.
Lower your humidity an you will be fine.

most definitely. I have the dehuey set at 60% in the flowering area, but will probably lower it to 50%.

When I did initial tests of the humidity in the veg area it was around 65%. If I get more air circulation in there, do you think that % is still too high?

And you don't think I need to spray any kind of compound as a preventative measure?

I might be overthinking this, but have too much invested for something big to go wrong like PM on my buds

MIway

Veteran
thats not pm... it'l likely be a sclerotinia or botrytis... just to get u lookin up the right thing.

but i'd spray the pots with peroxide for the next sev days & let the medium dry out flakey on top between waterings. reason it took to the dead leaves is that they stayed saturated wet for sev days or weeks on end.

drop ur flower rh really low & keep it low + try to keep the temps warmer w/o any rapid drops. got to fig the spores were there before, and now u have a bit more... can only try to discourage fav growth conditions, unless u want to go toxic on em.

gl tho... after seein the pics... i'm going to take shower now ;-)

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Never leave dead leaves in the wet dirt.
Drop your RH and dont overwater.
You have alot to learn and I think your in the right place for knowledgable support.

Thank you very much for the replies guys!

thats not pm... it'l likely be a sclerotinia or botrytis... just to get u lookin up the right thing.

but i'd spray the pots with peroxide for the next sev days & let the medium dry out flakey on top between waterings. reason it took to the dead leaves is that they stayed saturated wet for sev days or weeks on end.

drop ur flower rh really low & keep it low + try to keep the temps warmer w/o any rapid drops. got to fig the spores were there before, and now u have a bit more... can only try to discourage fav growth conditions, unless u want to go toxic on em.

gl tho... after seein the pics... i'm going to take shower now ;-)

Spray the pots with peroxide just at the base of the coco? And what dilution of peroxide would you use? And by peroxide, do you mean h2o2?

Never leave dead leaves in the wet dirt.
Drop your RH and dont overwater.
You have alot to learn and I think your in the right place for knowledgable support.

ya, I admit I definitely goofed. I had been meaning to trim out all the bottom junk for days, but just kept putting it off. It was a good wake up call I need to not procrastinate on stuff for sure.

a clean room is preventative measures that can prevent LOTS OF PROBLEMS

x2. Gonna keep it more in check from now on!

JointOperation

good luck to you bud.. ive had this happen.. i just pulled the top layer of soil up.. with the dead moldy crap.. and tossed in trash.. and just made sure to allow them to dry out before watering. had no problems with the actual plants..

MIway

Veteran
tops o soil, rims & outside o pots, floors around them, fan blades... anywhere the spores might drop, float or settle... at 1%. its easy to do, safe & just eases the mind a little.