What's new

Molasses ~ When & Why ?

Gold123

I found this at walmart. It's molasses for livestock. Cost $8.88/gal. No nutritional info. But I bought some and will spray it on my neighbors lawn to see if it kills it, then try it on my girls. (kidding). http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10451672

(don't know how to post pix.)

It's not BLACK STRAP Molasses therefore it's not what everyone has been recommending or using, it is probably diluted and I read there it has Propionic Acid as a preservative. Unless you want your bud to oink and moo.

bicyclebenny

I just sprayed my lawn and flower beds w/it so I'll see how that goes for a few days. The label says Cane Molasses, thassall. o, and propionic whatever. I called or visited every grocer in this area and no blackstrap to be had. I use bro rabbit Full Flavor which has pretty close specs to BS so I am in no rush for this stuff, but at $8.88, if it works or at least in the yard, it should be worth having, esp. since it's local. Pray for my lawn:).

bicyclebenny

It's not BLACK STRAP Molasses therefore it's not what everyone has been recommending or using, it is probably diluted and I read there it has Propionic Acid as a preservative. Unless you want your bud to oink and moo.

I just found this elsewhere on this site:

"Originally Posted by relief
jlve187, one tablespoon per gallon.

You can even use the feed store molasses, even if it has propionic acid (I have for years)."

Maybe I'll try to contact the manu. and ask. It's pretty thick, like way moreso than the full flavor. and blacker than any i've seen.

bicyclebenny

Hey, I just found this on Amazon for like $11.00+ freight. Good to know! (they also have qts.): Natures Wisdom Horticultural Molasses. Maybe I'll compare the two!

bicyclebenny

I just found a couple health food places in the yellow pages. Maybe I should give em a call tomorrow, but that Hort Molasses is tempting.

bicyclebenny

Brer Rabbit Black Strap http://www.bgfoods.com/brand_brerrabbit.asp
http://www.bgfoods.com/int_wheretobuy.asp

Grandms's Molasses http://www.grandmasmolasses.com/grandmas/grandmas_products.asp

Plantation Black Strap http://www.alliedoldenglish.com/plantation.php

here are the site for these molasses brands. call or click wher to buy. Note Brer Rabbit and grandma's are from the same company.

Thanks for that! As far as the "where to buy", that was kinda worthless; just took me to a site to buy online for like $17.00 for 4 bottles. Whole foods had the Plantation, but the specs were way off compared to Brer Rabbits Full Flavor, so I passed, but it's just blocks away, so it's close at hand when I decide if it's more suitable.

Gold123

from this thread:https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=130839
sugary supplements
not all molasses' the same...
single comparison between 2 very readily available brands, @ serving size of 1 tablespoon:

brer rabbit molasses, full flavor:

potassium 290 mg 8%
calcium 10%
magnesium 20%
iron 15%
sodium 25 mg 1%
total carbohydrates 15 g 5%
sugars 11 g

wholesome sweeteners organic molasses:
[organic and fair trade cert.]
potassium 730 mg 20%
calcium 115 mg 10%
magnesium 8%
iron 15%
vitamin b6 10%
sodium 0%
total carbohydrates 14 g 4%
sugars 10 g

plantation blackstrap molasses:
potassium 297mg 10%
Calcium 20%
iron 20%
vitamin A 20%
sodium 10mg 0%
total; carbs 11g 4%

wholesome sweeteners is widely availble. check their site for retail outlets...

foilar spray w/ it @ ph 7.0 too; up 'til week 6 or so.

enjoy your garden!

Added Plantation BS to the list

plantation blackstrap molasses:
potassium 297mg 10%
Calcium 20%
iron 20%
vitamin A 20%
sodium 10mg 0%
total; carbs 11g 4%

Gold123

Some facts I dug up on Grandma's web site about molasses this explains the diference between regular and blackstrap, mainly less sugar more nutrients, this is what we want:

What Is Molasses?

The highest grade, pure molasses - like Grandma's - is made from 100% pure, natural sugarcane juices, clarified, reduced, and blended to get just the right color and consistency. But there's difference in grades of molasses.

The purest molasses is pure cane juice. If a manufacturer wants sugar, the cane juice will be processed. The result is a raw sugar and low purity molasses. But Grandma's Original Molasses (Gold Label) is the original, high purity, unprocessed cane juice without any sugar extraction. In manufacturing raw sugar, after the cane has been harvested and mashed, the raw juices are boiled to extract sugar. To produce table sugar, the manufacturer will further process raw sugar into refined sugar. The remaining syrup - after the sugar has been crystallized - is called first molasses. Grandma's Robust Molasses (Green Label) is a blend of first molasses. First molasses, a thick brown syrup, is then thinned with water and re-boiled so that more raw sugar can be extracted.

The leftover syrup from the second boiling is second molasses, and so on. The more boiling you have, the less sweet molasses becomes until you get down to three or more boilings. By this time, the molasses known as "blackstrap" has almost no sweetness, but the highest nutritional value.

Grandma's Original Molasses is pure, concentrated cane juice, and retains its natural sugar content. It's sweet, light and never bitter. Grandma's Molasses is a rich, amber-color that blends beautifully with other foods and enhances the natural flavors of the ingredients with which it is mixed.

The more you boil molasses, the less sweet it becomes until you get down to three or more boilings. By this time, you have blackstrap molasses, a product with almost no sweetness but the highest nutritious value

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I remember correctly, the sugars that are present in the blackstrap have been changed during the process to a more usable form of sugar, plant wise.
There are still sugars in the blackstrap, it's the "sweetness" or taste that gets lost.

*mistress*

Veteran
these may be helpful:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=77
nutrient profile, cane juice evaporated (generic)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=85
nutrient profile, blackstrap molasses (generic)

[wholes. sweet prod. (not endorsing, just conveying data. their molasses does contain more k than brer or granny's. also has b6; and no sodium]
Organic Crystallized Sugars
Organic Dark Brown Sugar
Dark brown sugar with rich molasses tones and color; increased moisture retention and nutritional values

Natural Crystallized Sugars
Evaporated Cane Juice
From the first crystallization of cane juice; more molasses than conventional sugar; blond color

Porous Granulated Sugars--Dehydrated Cane Juice
Natural Sucanat®
Natural, free-flowing whole cane brown sugar; dissolves instantly; compressible; blended

Fair Trade Certified Organic Sucanat®
Minimally processed whole cane sugar with a distinct molasses flavor; compressible; low moisture

*Organic Sucanat®*
Free flowing whole cane brown sugar; compressible; instantly soluble; blended
*edit*
though dry molasses is available, in horticultural form, this is closest they have readily available in markets. has 13% molasses.

Organic Liquids, Inverts & Compounds
Organic Cane Juice Crystal Compound
Organic Evaporated Cane Juice and Organic Invert

Organic Cane Syrup Medium Invert
Easy-to-handle alternative to granulated sugars; liquefied from Organic Evaporated Cane Juice; eliminates the need to dissolve granulated sugars; sweet cane flavor; longer shelf life than non-invert liquids

Organic Lite Molasses, Barbados Style
Made from certified organic sugar cane; a dark syrup;
mild flavor and aroma of premium molasses; unsulfured

Organic Liquid ECJ (Organic Liquid Sugar)
An easy-to-handle alternative to granulated sugars; saves time and money

Organic Blue Agave
Blue Agave nectar; unrefined syrup with a low glycemic index; 25% sweeter than sugar; dissolves quickly; non-crystallizing; no additives.

Organic Blackstrap Molasses (Unpasteurized)

Made from organically certified sugar cane; unsulfured;
highly nutritious; full flavored

Organic Blackstrap Molasses (Pasteurized)
Made near the end of the sugar-making process; flavor and
nutrients are concentrated; full-flavored

and this:
http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/faqContent.html
frequently asked questions relevant to sugar, molasses, etc.

hope this helps. enjoy your garden!

bicyclebenny

I got in touch w/ the manufacturer of herdlife molasses by email and voicemail to see if it's blackstrap and get more info. Waiting for reply ...
In the meantime, I found some blackstrap via phone at a local market that I'll grab this pm, so it's a moot point, anyhow.

Gold123

I got in touch w/ the manufacturer of herdlife molasses by email and voicemail to see if it's blackstrap and get more info. Waiting for reply ...
In the meantime, I found some blackstrap via phone at a local market that I'll grab this pm, so it's a moot point, anyhow.

I knew it could be had anywhere.

Latest posts

Latest posts