What's new

Molasses+RO water for last 2 weeks?

Jbonez

Veteran
i gotta say guys , i tasted some fairly cured meds which i flushed wit molasses for the last 2 weeks. and it was fantastic! the smell of the buds are also very sweeet and they are very sticky. Molasses flushing is deffinitely a + for me!:biggrin:
Stay fligh:joint:
JC

I think the "fairly cured" is what you were tasting, molasses feeds beasties, unless MJ absorbs the sugars and distributes them to the buds, that sounds good in a post but is utter baloney lol..

I used molasses in tea brews, gets those bacteria going..

Jbonez

Veteran
Bubbles, chew on this. All I am hearing is that people arent feeding or taking care of their plants correctly, as most growers dont.... Forget what you know... Use that outside the box philosophy or whatever you guys call it.. Im trying to help.

apparently an excerpt from sensi seeds.. (I fall in line with this, I cant explain intuition to you guys-Bonez)
Summary:

Preharvest flushing puts the plant(s) under serious stress. The plant has to deal with nutrient deficiencies in a very important part of its cycle. Strong changes in the amount of dissolved substances in the root-zone stress the roots, possibly to the point of direct physical damage to them. Many immobile elements are no more available for further metabolic processes. We are loosing the fan leaves and damage will show likely on new growth as well.

The grower should react in an educated way to the plant needs. Excessive, deficient or unbalanced levels should be avoided regardless the nutrient source. Nutrient levels should be gradually adjusted to the lesser needs in later flowering. Stress factors should be limited as far as possible. If that is accomplished throughout the entire life cycle, there shouldn’t be any excessive nutrient compounds in the plants tissue.

Not necessarily as cannabis seems to be able to take a lot of abuse. What I am saying is that in my years of experience, I've found that less is more when it comes to feeding. Less doesn't mean you should skimp on the nutes, it's more in regards to the fact that nearly everyone feeds too much and too often. It's a hard concept to grasp but yields will actually increase when a plant is given modest amounts of plant food.

Hydrosun - I think your plants look pretty good. I bet at a minimum you could match those yields by cutting back your food by 25%. I'd actually put money on the fact that with lower levels, your yields would go up and at those lower feeding rates, you could try your pepsi challenge thing. I should add that I do not 'flush', but I do meet my plant's nutritional needs at all times which means my plants are not fed at the same rate all the way though flower.

All pictures were taken on harvest day:

View Image

View Image

A pheno I culled but her clones were worthy of being grown out:

View Image

corect nutes ,corect amount , corect plant noburn ,no flush

I've always wondered why as an indoor grower....we need to flush...but outdoor plants don't get flushed the same at harvest time.

But maybe I'm over thinking it.

I won't name names, but...someone in this thread is clearly overlooking the fact that the overwhelming majority of agriculture on this planet is fertilized with synthetic nutrients.

And the evidence of ill effects suffered by consumers of those products is...non-existent.

Oh and...don't go conflating synthetic ferts with herbicides and insecticides.

So quiet all of a sudden... And Im out, Ive nothing further to contribute to this thread... You guys can go back to your "pre-harvest flushing" so heroic...

praisehim.

Veteran
Im only quiet cause im still waiting to see those facts and research.

"Many immobile elements are no more available for further metabolic processes. We are loosing the fan leaves and damage will show likely on new growth as well."

^^ your plant should be done growing at this point.....if its putting out pistils still then you are overfeeding it.

research. facts..... waiting...still....

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
When growing in soil, there is no way you can flush all the nutes out unless you flush your growing medium to the point of being sterile. My weed in done when I see the leaves turn from lack of nutes not by "its been in bloom for X amount of days. My 2 cents and 20 years experience as a Master Gardener.

Bloom

When growing in soil, there is no way you can flush all the nutes out unless you flush your growing medium to the point of being sterile. My weed in done when I see the leaves turn from lack of nutes not by "its been in bloom for X amount of days. My 2 cents and 20 years experience as a Master Gardener.

Ahh, Mine has stopped shootin pistols out, it's nice you mention that cuz im finishing two more up and they have stopped sproutin pistils...

so this also tells me a little bit that there finishing up and not growing any more?, or, that there not being fed anymore?.

Pretty good point!

praisehim.

Veteran
^^ correct... they are starting to think their life cycle is coming to an end, but if you keep feeding the plant, it will continue to put out pistils that look UGLY.... at least in my experience.
but im definetely no master gardner, nor will i ever be...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
adding bacterial tea will create a symbiosis in the rhizosphere that cannot be rinsed out by 'flushing'...'flushing' in that sense is removing chemical salts.
bacteria attach themselves and are difficult to 'flush' out...
chemical salts will kill the rhizosphere making your plant dependant upon chemical salts, there is absolutely no benefit to adding molassess if using chemical salt fertilizer except as a surfecant to help clear the chemicals during flush.
plants are not uptaking sugars, they are exuding them to attract bacteria.
growing organically.
hope this helps...

mrgrowmez

Just answer me this. According to your own words "synthetic nutes" (that is an oxymoron) contain elements that somehow differ from say organic nutes?

N from one source is different from another?

This is getting twilight zonish....

Plants must absorb chelated nutrients, regardless of the source, unmetabolized?

For the record, I advocate flushing to remove excess mineral salts from a medium that could cause low ph, or worse, lockout. Somehow thinking that flushing the plant 2 weeks prior to harvest (killing it) improves anything is beyond me, marijuana is the only plant we try to starve before we consume.... makes no damn sense.... My leaves are yellow, im safe! are you KIDDING ME....

Black ash and harsh smoke tell me one thing, someone isnt curing properly, been doing this for a hot minute, never met someone who wasnt blown away by my herb, and of course I consume my own smoke, genetics play such a huge result in the process as well.

Of all my plants, ChemD is the only one that seems to be harsh no matter what we do, and yes, I tried the flushing thing on chemD, still the same.

Off the top of my head -

Feeding your babies molasses in the last week would I assume give the microorganisms in your medium a healthy feast, increasing their numbers which in turn increases the amount of nutrients they process and make available to your plants.

A 1 week molasses & water treatment followed by a one week water only treatment would mean your plants would contain more macro & micro nutrients at harvest than a plant on a straight ro water. The latter method forces the micro fauna to utilise the food that which remains in the medium without any increase in its population size.

As for flushing or not flushing, it is well known that organically grown plants do not require a flush while those fed with chemical ( aka inorganic/manufactured) will require a flush so that your buds aren't left full large amounts of unused macro and micro nutes.

The reason they accumulate faster and heavier with chemical nutrients is as we all know because they are much more readily available for uptake thanks to our manufacturing skills, this is why it is easy to burn a plant with chem nutes. Organic nutrients, are less processed, and therefore must be first broken down and made available to plants.

Finally I have found a decent cure hard to obtain if a plant fed with chem nutes is not given a chance to use up any excess minerals left in the system, its definitely not killing a plant to restrict it nutrients in its final week or so.

Its not about starving, its about using what is already there from build up, and making sure a plant has its basic requirements for fruiting as well as any additives to enhance fruiting set and quality.

If you fertilize once a fortnight as a lot of folk do, you are working on the basic assumption that it's taking your plant two weeks to use up whatever nutes you are making available to it. So feeding a plant with inorganic nutes right up until harvest just means wasted nutrients and a plant thats loaded with minerals it hasnt and wont get a chance to use.

As always there is a fine line between kindness and cruelty in Horticulture

Jbonez

Veteran
mrgrowmez, I like what u are saying, basically you mean to utilize whats in the dirt, then provide a short cleansing prior to the chop right, kinda like tapering off the nutes, rather than a sudden shock of zero nutes.. I guess this can be done either way.. good stuff.

G

gloryoskie

I like where this thread is going, lets hear more from the tea brewers.

I switched to living soil from Dyna Gro nutes and what I lack in yield I more than made up in flavor and quality, in my opinion. But it should be noted that better growers than I produce copious, delicious yields without flushing.

I grow for personal use, so the trade in yield was not an issue to me.

Finally, I will listen to contrary opinions and try out new methods to improve my grow. More info the better!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Bubbles, chew on this. All I am hearing is that people arent feeding or taking care of their plants correctly, as most growers dont.... Forget what you know... Use that outside the box philosophy or whatever you guys call it.. Im trying to help.

So quiet all of a sudden... And Im out, Ive nothing further to contribute to this thread... You guys can go back to your "pre-harvest flushing" so heroic...

Nearly everything you linked has either nothing to do with cannabis or is something that won't create truly 'medicinal' quality cannabis. *shrug*

Flushing vegetables.... LOL lamest reference I've heard on this topic when it comes to cannabis... definitely not the first time though.

Your attitude is cute though. Do more research and come on back. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

couchlockd

for what it is worth, im not bubbles. nor mike smith. calling him a borderline genius/savant is pushing it. i love the boys as much as anyone, if not more, but mike smith is just a smart ass who is funny.

ill let you know what he thinks when i see him at barnes and noble in the savant section. lol

all i am saying is if you push plants to the max till the end, then you will taste the difference negatively.

have you ever smoked real organic pot. with what you are saying, "i dont the organic thing" means you quite doing the organic thing, cuzz you sucked at it. and went back to synth. growing. anyone who does organic correctly, will never ever go back.

nute resorvoirs that make you feel like you are making a bomb with all the additives.

Latest posts

Latest posts