What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mite Eradictor (also destroys Powdery Mildew)

G

:joint: Update on the last treatment - burnt a lot, and set out to figure out why. Capt I think you're right on the evaporation rate, after upgrading the recipe with additional half cup apple cider vinegar, 1/8 tspn dishsoap, and 5 tblspns concentrated lemon juice I treated with ventilation and lights off (did a mist with lights on too). No evident damage to any growth as long as the mix is given the opportunity to sit on the leaves long enough.

The successful treatment was during lights off cycle, and my ventilation shuts down at preset 75 deg at the exhaust into the attic - temps drop to 75 at the ceiling and fans shut down. The next day I closely examined everything and noticed the start of webbing on some nodes - so they were getting ready to set up shop. No sign of anything but what I can only assume are body parts and debris, I didn't rinse because I wanted to maximize soaking time.

The plants in veg and preflower showed mite signs and were treated and acting like nothing happened. Now to time the evaporation time and calculate an average rinse time that retains the success rate.

mark6699331

Add some female mite pheremone to whatever poison concoction your using. Google Sturrip-M. I thinks that's how you spell it. It will lure your male mites to their death. They think their going to get lucky and wham they just got poisoned. I say always dip plants instead of spraying. But with this pheremone you can spray the tops of the leaves and the males will come out from underneath and go uptop. hope this helps.

these humboldt brown mites are a bitch. If only I hadn't taken that black afgani and grape mist cuts in! I had three years no mites! Oh well, back to kill-amite and stirrup-m

mark

cannigrow

I just read through this whole thread...f'in awesome. I noticed the little fucks tonight, so I'm gonna mix up a batch of this and do battle. I'll report back to base tomorrow night with a field report.

G

:wave: How's that update comin - how do the plants look. :wave:

I always suggest that U try diluted strength on ONE plant first and watch for reaction. However, with ventilation and lights off during treatment it should be foolproof even without rinsing, tho rinsing probably would have saved lower foliage lost before its' time....

G

:wave: Had a setback - always mix up fresh, I grabbed an old mist bottle that had some in it and the plants hated it. I tested on select upper fan leaves, and after treatment they shriveled and burnt in about 20 minutes.

So, I went back to the drawing board and filled a mist bottle with water, added a couple shots of concentrated lemon juice and a shot of liquid bacterial soap. The plants don't seem bothered by it, so treated a cabinet tonight, will check their condition in the morning and search for borgs.
(by shot I mean shotglass, prolly 4 tblsp?...)

I'll move on to citrus or neem if this didn't work, I can't let the borgs at my moms.......when I have more clones to play with I'll test the mix further.

More as it happens....

Last edited:
G

:wave: DEATH TO THE BORG!!!! :wave:

With the moms takin over the veg cabinet, had to stuff all the flowerin under the big lights to free up a cabinet. Now have 16 moms in two cabinets.

First, the trial results were encouraging to I measured off some stuff, mixed it up and blasted away on the moms...they loved it, the Borgs hated it and caught the next bus out of town...will get pics up of some of the moms to demonstrate how happy they are. Growth exploded again and things are back to normal.

Okay, here's what I came up with after the last Eradicator Mix burnt the shit out of them - my bad (never grab up an old bottle, always use fresh).

First a warning to ward off the paranoia freaks & toxic whistleblowers...

This mix contains TRICLOSAN which has been around fer decades in hospitals, softsoap, toothpaste, etc. I'm not gonna get into the chemistry, because all I see is a bunch of uncorraborated opinions from health fanatics drinking their morning super-breakfast smoothies and policing everything they don't like.

Triclosan is an antibacterial agent that cripples the genetic process of bacteria and in itself is harmless to humans because we don't have the key cells it works on. It does, however react to chlorine in tapwater to produce formaldehyde, hence the scare on toothpaste useage. It dissipates quickly, so as long as yer not mixin in it yer mouth, we're good to go. :woohoo:

The fanatics try to link it to toxins, and warn of environment contanimation, what do they think I'm gonna mix tons of this shit? Anyway, disclaimer out of the way, the warning are far less severe than Neem and other chems currently being used on our grows, and use on veg is not a risk - dunno if I would treat flowerin plants tho - unsure of the risk of assimilation and any danger of inhaling residue. Use it only where it will be rinsed and given time to dissipate throughly.

Softsoap Antibacterial produced by Colgate-Palmolive Company TM/C New York, NY 10022.

Okay, on to the mix trial. I measured off 1/4c of antibacterial softsoap and 1/8c of concentrated lemon juice into my misting bottle, topped off with water and gently shook. I sprayed the undersides of all leaves liberally, allowed it to drip dry, then did the same with tops of the leaves. The leaf tops washed off clean as a whistle (go figure -handsoap) and formed a nice shiny surface. The undersides of the leaves don't look shiny, nice and healthy with one new thing - dead borgs left behind and no sign of anything setting up shop.

First, the egg damage - notice the caved in case lower left. Also notice the young 'un nailed as it tried to hatch out of the egg, circled near the top.

And on to Borg debris that will rinse-

DEATH TO THE BORGS!!!!!!

Last edited:

mark6699331

alright everyone- this is what i use. Its nasty but it works. It requires breathing apparatus, neoprene gloves, and all skin covered. Only use it in the begiining of veg and dip once, then three days later and that's it.

one teaspoon physan 20-20, florimite 1/2 tea/gallon and Forbid (per directions on package), and 1/4 teaspoon/gallon of sturrup-m, the mite pheremone.
I mix threee gallons worth and dip the whole plant in it. The physan killls all powder molds, the florimite kills all adult mites and the forbid kills nymphs, eggs, and larvae in addition to making all females lay sterile eggs from then on.

Dispose carefully, and do not leave around pets or kids. Take a shower afterwards and wash your clothes and be very carefull.

good luck
mark

purp&kush

XrayThumbsUp.jpg

G

mark6699331 said:
alright everyone- this is what i use. Its nasty but it works. It requires breathing apparatus, neoprene gloves, and all skin covered. Only use it in the begiining of veg and dip once, then three days later and that's it.

one teaspoon physan 20-20, florimite 1/2 tea/gallon and Forbid (per directions on package), and 1/4 teaspoon/gallon of sturrup-m, the mite pheremone.
I mix threee gallons worth and dip the whole plant in it. The physan killls all powder molds, the florimite kills all adult mites and the forbid kills nymphs, eggs, and larvae in addition to making all females lay sterile eggs from then on.

Dispose carefully, and do not leave around pets or kids. Take a shower afterwards and wash your clothes and be very carefull.

good luck
mark
Do your plants glow in the dark..... :bashhead:

The homemade Eradicator was devised as an alternative to chemicals, I think you named at least 3 that could be hazardous if not fatal. :puppydoge

Let's try to get back on track with a homemade formula that's cheap and effective..... :headbange

mark6699331

Sorry if i offended anyone. I've been at this almost 22 years and have found nothing that could completely kill the population. Even the eco-friendly method sometimes works and then sometimes not. And being in Humboldt we have a visciuos pacific two spotted brown mite which is resistent to EVERYTHING including, believe it or not, AVID and those NO PEST strips with the really nasty chemical.

I only use these harsh chemies as a last resort,and only at the very begininng of veg. They have about a 21-25 day residual life span before they break down. You have to use gloves and a resperater and immediately wash your clothes and take a shower. I know these are harsh chemies, but when all else fails and you livelyhood and medical needs take first place, I had to get serious. This formulaa is for the experienced grower not novies.

For eco-formula the best success i had was einstien oil mixed with dutch master's penetrator/

Good luck all and i apoligize if my chemies offended anyone. Look I eat organic and have been a vegetarian for 20 years so i respec the eco way. But when you have high power bills, patients, and rent to pay, I got to get rid of all the mites once and for all.

BTW- after the chemie recipie then i add tons of beneficial predatory mites to finish off any eggs or left over mites.

mark

G

:nono: No offense taken, mark - we're all in the same boat, and what may not work for one may very well work for another. As the list of options grows so does the chances of fighting back.

Death to the Borg!

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
Great thread and i figured alot of new people havnt seen this... im going to be mixing up a batch of this and spraying some problem plants .. i will report back with how well it works.. and from what i have read and seen it is going to help alot!!

Great read 1Toke thanks for the information

Some mites are gonna die tonight :bashhead:

toohighmf

Veteran
onetoke

onetoke

love the formula. If I ever see a mite again I will definately follow your regiment. As far as Powdery mildew goes, have you tried 3% h202 and a table spoon of baking soda directly to the 3% dilute? just add a sprayer cap and blast the crap right off. then, like your method, rince em w fresh h20. thanks for the tip. I hate using avid and we get some spidermites that laugh at glycerin soap!

G

no wonder I LOVE this site!

I think I have bought my last No Pest Strips. It seems I have most trouble in the clone/early vegging area, and I've been less reluctant to use NPS there but this is worth a try - I'll check back next time I see a spider mite.

Cheers to ya 1-toke wherever you are

Last edited:

zig

heavy infestation-

excellent results-- mixed as directed (dilute-2L), used as directed (except i only let spray soak on plant less than 5 minutes.

obliterates every mite/egg it contacts instantly --observed with a pocket microscope (looks like a bomb went :hotbounce , off-body parts everywhere)

No sign of stress or burn 5 days after treatment.

I did notice a few missed eggs in the corners of leaf veins (user error). No living mite to be seen. Second application should finish the job.

Total cost- $3.50 for all the ingredients (a lifetime supply, pretty much)

kudos

NorCal

Veteran
to get the root aphids your gonna have to saturate the root zone

a foliar wont work

check the phylloxerra thread here it should have alot of info there

people have reported results mainly using imidacloprid products and or azatrol