What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mitch's Auto Adventure......

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mitch, all your work looks so professional and nice looking. its necessary to support breeders as you are.
your thread is imho best here in auto section. i was focusing only on regular strains, tried few autos in the past but wasnt happy with them. finally, your work looks like times are changing.
big respect and keepin fingers crossed for your success

What up Mitch, only just discovered this thread, wish I'd found it sooner, really inspiring stuff, hats off!

Wishing you all the best!

Peace

Great thread Mitch, insightful knowledge your dropping.

Thanks guys, no problem!

here's a partial update from the f1 projects - @d59 into 12/12

sour grape stomper -
picture.php

picture.php

skywalker kush x Auto triangle kush
picture.php

picture.php

NCH x Fantasmo Express
picture.php

More soon!

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update 2 -

Bear oG x Ripleys OG (auto alien OG)
picture.php

picture.php

Bear OG x auto triangle kush -
picture.php

picture.php

Grape Crinkle x ripleys OG
picture.php

Next update on these will be just before harvest, cheers

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Current shots are of the projects - this generation isn't autoflowering so lighting period is 12/12, cheers!

J-Icky

mitch, just wondering, what do you do with the seeds from the parents that eventually don't make the cut for one reason or another to continue down the line? I've just always wondered what breeders do with all the seeds that get made but don't get used. I've always had this image/nightmare of a room full of seeds that many of us would love to have that just sit there forever never to be grown or just plain tossed in the trash. I know a couple breeders that tos them in packs and sell them as what they are, and it would be nice if more breeders would do that for either the people that don;t have the money to buy the best of the best or those that like a strain but think it would be alot better, personally, if the breeder had went for a different smell, or taste, or the effect was a little different.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a bit different with autos, for example the seeds from the f1 crosses, if it's a photoperiods seedline we are pollinating usually they are grown out in a large population with cuttings taken, the cuttings from the best are taken and we flower them out again with males in a different location from one or two of our auto strains.

For example we have just pollinated our 'livers' cut to make a new line /bx line from our first generation family of new autos.

We pollinated her with auto blues, Chem City Blues, and sour crack. For the f1 we only make a handful of seeds, enough so we can grow them out to make f2's and also enough to have as back up should anything go wrong.

And generations f2-f3 it's similar.

But by the time we get to f4 we know the new hybrid better and consequently know the correct plants to pollinate for our wants/needs and then those strains are the ones that are released.

Even if we had extra seeds from the previous generations as they are not stable autoflowering we wouldn't want to sell or even gift those for that reason.

However in later generations f5 + when we begin to really nail down the different phenos that's when those types of seeds you are thinking about could be available, but we're not quite at that stage yet.

Cheers anyway :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mitch, just wondering, what do you do with the seeds from the parents that eventually don't make the cut for one reason or another to continue down the line? I've just always wondered what breeders do with all the seeds that get made but don't get used. I've always had this image/nightmare of a room full of seeds that many of us would love to have that just sit there forever never to be grown or just plain tossed in the trash. I know a couple breeders that tos them in packs and sell them as what they are, and it would be nice if more breeders would do that for either the people that don;t have the money to buy the best of the best or those that like a strain but think it would be alot better, personally, if the breeder had went for a different smell, or taste, or the effect was a little different.

Believe me, that's not the case "I've just always wondered what breeders do with all the seeds that get made but don't get used. I've always had this image/nightmare of a room full of seeds that many of us would love to have that just sit there forever never to be grown or just plain tossed in the trash."....as I'm sure Mitch can attest.

It takes time, dilligence, numerous grows to produce a quality product, thwart any undesirable traits (stunted/hermies). Prototypes in seeds are often regrown to find the best qualities of each strain.

Some breeders don't take the time and it shows a few generations beyond.

Mitch, having watched his progress, and those @ SGS, they do what breeders do best. Hone in on quality vs. pollen chucking.

Am I right, Mr. Mephisto? ;o)

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Believe me, that's not the case "I've just always wondered what breeders do with all the seeds that get made but don't get used. I've always had this image/nightmare of a room full of seeds that many of us would love to have that just sit there forever never to be grown or just plain tossed in the trash."....as I'm sure Mitch can attest.

It takes time, dilligence, numerous grows to produce a quality product, thwart any undesirable traits (stunted/hermies). Prototypes in seeds are often regrown to find the best qualities of each strain.

Some breeders don't take the time and it shows a few generations beyond.

Mitch, having watched his progress, and those @ SGS, they do what breeders do best. Hone in on quality vs. pollen chucking.

Am I right, Mr. Mephisto? ;o)

Indeed, some projects go smoothly, other's do not. but if the drive is there to get the end product you really wanted, then sometimes it's better to traceback your steps and do-over or have a different option to take.

It's always best to not put all your eggs in one basket too, hedge your bets and have several parents in each generation.

In some circumstances open pollinations can be good, but 95% of what we do is selective pollination.

The volume of seeds and little packets with details about the seeds within take up 1/3 to a half of our seed fridge.

Cheers!

The English Cut

Hey Mitch, great stuff, big thanks for answering all my questions, such great info here. You're right the diesel in my diesel x lr2 was a photoperiod plant. I got about 60 seeds from the NL x BB Auto that it pollinated, so I'll drop half sometime this spring and see what happens.

I'm definitely going to get a pack or two from you guys, where's the best place to check out the current strains? Only older stuff on your website - I know you guys are busy though lol. Keep up the great work. Peace, TEC.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey man, new site is imminent, that's why the old one hasn't been updated with the current wares.
Not sure I can mention where but pm me if you need assistance. Cheers :)

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys, tonight we chopped most of the next project to ripen, karmas og aka bear og x auto triangle kush

Some lovely lemon/og/spicey/dank smells coming off these. good yield as well! The plant structure / shape was very bear og dominant across the whole batch, which is nice it's not a crazy stretchy out of control OG it's very manageable to work with, similar to the triangle ogk we had so they definitely match well. Some differences in flowers, and some coloured up due to low temps where some stayed green but all in all very uniform for auto/photo f1's.

The bear og x ripleys OG on the other hand, a few phenotypes are monsters/out of control, but the buds look amazing.

Anyway without further a do here's a few pics.

This is a bear/atk blend
picture.php

This flower structure is more auto triangle kush dominant
picture.php

And here is a more bear og leaning one
picture.php

These were chopped on day 68 of 12/12, flower density ranges from very good to rock-like

The Grape Stomper OG project was harvested a few days prior @d65, the trim from this project was unreal, very easy harvest, should make some fantastic, very oily isolator

picture.php

picture.php

We have spannabis this weekend, so the other 4 projects are looking like they will be harvested sometime next week. Cheers!

Alpen rock

Awesome looking nugs:tiphat:

If I'm following right, these are F1 generation, but are these the rejects (non AF) or part of the percentage that autoflowered?

Edit:the answer is a few pages back.AF trait only shows in the F2, not before...Am
I still following right??

Oddly, the most mold resistant outdoor strain Ive grown had also the densest flowers Ive ever seen, concrete from bottom to top Erdbei (swiss old strawberry) and not a single mold when some other strains were reduced to dust in fall 2012 (extremly damp and cold).

picture.php

Anyhow cant wait to see the autoflowering Bears !!!
Thks for sharing Mitch :thank you:

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey alpen is there a solid seedline for an erdbei, or is it held as a cut somewhere?

All the seeded plants are almost there, so depending on workload and schedule we could see the f2's run over the summer.

If so I'll for sure document the run here.

Cheers mitch

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This F1 growout is pretty much wrapped up!
It's been educational.

Here are some images and details from some of the last batches.

Bear OG x Ripleys OG (auto alien OG) - Many phenotypes and a lot of variations but that's not always a bad thing, I'm not certain we will continue this line though, for that reason.

Ripleys OG Phenotype
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bear Dominant Phenotype -
picture.php

some big yielders came out of this batch, but also some crazy stretchy out of control plants. Environment wasn't great, and We had some mould in the big cola girls.. however I did notice, the Phenotypes as first pictured (fading to purple) had zero mould. I kept inspecting it, expecting to uncover some, especially after some days away at spannabis. But nothing, so it could be something to investigate over time.

Here's a photo of the Skywalker Kush x Auto Triangle Kush
picture.php

These came out really nicely, especially the candidates selected for pollination that absolutely reeked like the mother skywalker, really excited about that one.

Cheers, mitch

Alpen rock

Hey alpen is there a solid seedline for an erdbei, or is it held as a cut somewhere?
Yes I think some seedbank still have some.Might also be a cut somewhere in Switzerland and Austria...shitloads of growers in Switzerland, but very shy here on forums afaik...the one I grew was purchased in a shop:biggrin: (seedlings from fems)
Hybrids from hell develloped the Erdpurt with 100% swiss genetics (Erdbei x purpurea Ticinensis).

Your last set of pics looks flame, cannot wait to see the AutoFlowering F2s.

Thanks fr sharing:tiphat:

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We have a few candidates we are testing out for mould resistance this summer, We got some Yeti OG from loompafarms after seeing him at spannabis, and he said it's his most mould resistant variety.

We have a summer of seedmaking ahead, but I will also try my best to run the F2 beans made from these projects over the season, hopefully I'll start them about 6 weeks from now.

Cheers!

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
One of my favourite herbs of 2014 was a Yeti OG cross (Smillin Mikado x Yeti OG) and mold resistance is a must on my plants. I live in shroom land ;)
I wish you all the best on this one and all the other projects of course.
Impressive display of work you show in here my friend.

Latest posts

Latest posts