What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mitch Connor's AF Corner!

cannacoob

i've been really inspired by all the great results i've seen in this thread. mucho props to mitch and others who are getting awesome results from SGS autos! i'm pretty much a newbie grower with a few failed attempts and one mediocre harvest with some regular seeds under my belt. i had serious heat issues in the past (was mid summer) and struggled to keep the tent temps under 90.

anyway, i've been trying to learn from my mistakes and reading all i can so that my next go will be more successful. i just ordered 2 packs of pink bud x fruit salad f2's from the 'bay and can't wait to grow them out:)

i have a 4x4 tent and two 400w cooltube lights. i might just run one 400w for heat and electricity issues but not decided. i'm also not sure what soil i'll be using but i'm leaning towards FFOF mixed w/ perlite. i have some earth juice grow/bloom/catalyst nutes but they're about a year and a half old -- should i forget using those and try something newer and/or different?

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice dude, glad you're interested in giving AF a try.

If you get the essentials right an AF grow can be a piece of cake, and a very quick process!

Just set out your plan for the grow first, you'll get any help you need in here to help you along the way if you're stuck with anything.

Because Fruit Salad x Pinkbud isn't a large strain, the strength + yield is really in the numbers!

One option I might suggest is to run both packs under a single 400w, and if you did a little pollination here and there you could make your own stock of seeds to run a full AF-SOG and really utilise the whole 800w and see them excel!

It all depends on what you decide to run, plant number, pot size, wattage etc.

cannacoob

thanks for the reply mitch.. that makes sense to run one 400w since i'll most likely have around 10-12 plants (assuming most germinate & half are female).

i like your suggestion too about trying to make seeds for a subsequent grow. i've been wondering how that works and i need to find out more about those techniques. would that entail growing out a male and trying to do a partial controlled pollination to make seeds? i want to end up with mostly quality sinsemilla so would this mess that up? i must admit i'm not all that familiar with pollinating seeds.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a good idea to learn with Auto's as you obviously can't clone them, so unless you don't mind paying out for new seeds it's worth doing, theres some simple techniques that can give you a 95% unseeded crop.

The info is here somewhere in this forum, but I might write something up later anyway

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just to finish off from the last set of pics, I had one more AF in my veg room that even though stunted still grew to a relatively decent size.. this was literally the smallest plant i've ever had @ sex i thought it would end up smaller than the others!

I'm running these next, going on this little tests evidence I suspect they could get pretty big given more favourable conditions :)

A few weeks ago comparison shot.
picture.php

Yesterdays harvest pics..
picture.php

picture.php

This plant ^^ could have gone a few weeks longer I suspect, but I'm short and had completely lost track of days etc, just had an itchy scissor finger!

E

edgey

looks nice and fat m8 , should do sound under better conditions but can't moan at extra bud from the veg tent lol . i've got 2 of cheesey's auto's in mine now , been getting 24 hrs light since day 1 and look like they'll finish at a decent size :)

edgey

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeh true say mate, think I will end up with about 4-5 oz from 9 little plants so it was worth keeping them going for sure! took up about a 1/4 of my tent when packed tightly.

If there's a light on in my house bud shall be made! :)