What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mister D's Vertical Redemption

Mister_D

Veteran
Updates.......

Updates.......

Week 4 of 12 flowering for the satori's and jack. The mystery seed is at 3 1/2 weeks in, and the romulan is now 9 days along. Things are healthy and almost where i'd like them to be, having an issue with keeping the rooms warm enough. I think i've got that solved though. Earlier thinking was that GH biothrive wouldn't play nice with a drip system, but it's working flawlessly so far. I'll check the lines when this run is over to make sure nothing is clogging, but I havn't seen any signs of build-up yet. Keep in mind i'm running basicly open-ended lines and adding em-1 to my rez. The original plan was to switch to PBP soil/coco bloom for flowering, but I don't like the idea of so little nitrogen in the begining of flower. I try to encourage a healthy stretch, so apply accordingly for your own gardening goals. However I do plan to switch over at around 6 weeks on the satori and mystery seed. Being the romulan is the same drip system it will also be switched at week 4. Almost like I planned it that way hmmmmmm :chin:. At the 10ml per gal rate mentioned at the begining of the thread I get a ratio very similar to h3ads 9ml flora bloom used for the last ~ 60% of flowering. Enough out of me for now, I know ya'll came to see the pics anyway :laughing:

First up is the romulan at 10 days 12/12

picture.php

This is also the romulan. A leaf was coving my flash giving it this cool green tone.

picture.php

Some of various satori's in before the hair cut. Look decent with 8 weeks to go....

picture.php

This is the smallest of them. it's either the winner or keep pheno, very little stretch this round. In fact all of the satori's stretched half or less of when they were seedlings.

picture.php

picture.php

And the jack, overgrowing everything as usual. She is now about 4 ft wide, 6 ft tall, and stanking up the whole area.

picture.php

picture.php

sgapetti

Veteran
been waiting to see how is going with the garden,the gals looks nice and healthy.The jack looks hmmmm fantastic:jump:

Looking awesome man, I am running romulan too but aside from some slight purpling on the petioles mine is as green as can be. I'm sure we are running different phenos though. All in all, beautiful so far :)

Mister_D

Veteran
My apologizes for the lack of updates, this last month has been very trying. Lost one family member and another found out they have a massive cancer tumor which likely can't be operated on or treated with chemo. Family comes first for me, but the gardens are doing very well and I have some new things to share when time permits. I'll try and snap some pictures and update everyone either tommorow or after the weekend.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mister D, I feel for you nd your families loss, I recently spent a week in the hospital too with the potential knowledge I had liver cancer( turned out to be false) but that was a NOT FUN two days. I can only imagine what your going through.

Updates can wait, your family and friends cannot.

God bless you and your family.

Mister_D

Veteran
I'm Back.........

I'm Back.........

Hello everyone, finally got a free moment to update. Amid the personal crazyness this last month has brought, I managed to find time to build a drain table for the veg room. It's based on trichromefan's design over at the farm. Now all watering is automated. Just fill the res and i'm good for about 5 days. I also put up some 1x4's on the ceiling so I could hang the lights. Looks abit more like I know what i'm doing now :laughing:.

All plants are still being fed at everywatering:
5ml per gal. biothrive grow
5ml per gal. biothrive bloom
5ml per gal. calmag+
5ml per gal. ful-power fulvic acid
5ml per gal. protekt
5ml per gal. EM 1
I'll begin plain water feeding of the flower room a week from today until harvest. For the next week they will be getting 15ml per gal. PBP soil/coco, no additives. Veg room will continue with the above biothrive recipe.

The drain table is simply a 4x8' sheet of plywood setup on a slant with greenhouse roofing screwed on top. A rain gutter is installed on the low end. The downspout drains back into the res (i'm using a 20 gal. brute garbage can). The drip system is a simple rectangluar shaped 1/2" poly manifold with 1/4" lines run to each plant (same concept as my flower room). Fed by a 500 GPH pump (bought a 250 GPH for flower) I set this table up for RTW, but one could add a second res or plumb to a drain for DTW. Here's a picture to illustrate:

picture.php

Thought I had taken more pictures of the table, but apparently not. If anyone needs a better view to get the idea just let me know. Or look up trichromefan in the coco section on the farm.

Moving right along. I screwed a few 1x4's to the ceiling. Makes things nice and easy to center the lights over the table.

picture.php

Few shots of what's going on in the veg room
picture.php

picture.php

The orignal cenex plant finally kicked back into veg and started growing proper. I have clones taken from this plant that are bigger.....

picture.php

A few clones I took for a patient.

picture.php

Lastly some pictures of the flower room. Forgive the quailty, I took these in a rush. The jack and satori's are at 8 1/2 weeks, mystery seed 8 weeks, and the romulan at 5 weeks. About 4 1/2 weeks until harvest. I've been defoilating, but there's more to be done. every leaf with a stem must go.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mister_D

Veteran
One Q - Thanks man. Glad to see you're still around.

Mega - I appreciate the condolences, it's been a rough month. Just found out I may have a tumor in my spinal cord also. Doc can't be sure though. So I get to wait six months to have another scan done, see if it's growing or not. Two days doesn't seems so long now huh lol? Just messing with you man. An hour is too long to be wondering about something like that. Hope your balls are feeling better also ;).

sgapetti

Veteran
My deepest condolences for the family loss, I hope there is a higher reason why all this is happening to you, it just upsets me to much. I was happy to see the satoris phenos in full splendor and the rest of your garden, i hope you do find some peace of mind in there my friend . All the best to you and your family,
Peace S

Mister_D

Veteran
Big Ass Update......

Big Ass Update......

A few people pm'd me wondering about the table, so I finished building it properly and snapped a few pics.

For the legs I used 2 30" 4x4's on the low end and 2 42" 4x4's on the high end. This gives me a 12" rise over 8ft. 3 8ft 2x6's were used for the runners, and 4 4ft 2x4's to make braces.

picture.php

Put ziplocks on all the feet to protect them in the event of a flood.

picture.php

Nice fuzzy roots are now poking out of all the pots.

picture.php

Some shots of the veg room.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And took a few more clones. Trying out straight floor dry as a cloning medium also.

picture.php

Now for the flower room. I was off a bit on my last update, 9 weeks wasn't until two days ago. I edited the flowering times in my last update to reflect this. Harvest is now just under 4 weeks away. As of a week ago feeding was switched to 15 ml per gal. PBP soil/coco formula, 5ml per gal. cal/mag, and 10 ml per gal EM1. Veg is still being fed 5ml each biothrive grow and bloom with the listed additives.

Romulan looking like you could :skiiing: on her.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Satori's getting fat and frosty

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The jack is doing her thing as well.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I did a massive defoilation after these pictures were taken. All leaves with stems were removed.

Sgapetti - Thanks bro, it's been a shitty start to the year. At least the RA seems to be gone. Also on the plus side I got to take my friend out of the hospital for a few hours yesterday.

sgapetti

Veteran
nice garden my friend, it must smell wonderful in there :laughing: All plants looking very healty, keeping a special eye on the jack ;) and those satori gals looks so fat:jump: Keep up the good work:wave:

Check your Ego

Check your Ego

Plants and nugs look real nice. Congrats on the beginnings of your comeback.

Growing crops occasionally leads to crop failure. Dealing with plants, dealing with nature, its best just to check your ego at the door. Cause sometimes things just wrong.

Excellent work.

Mister_D

Veteran
Sgapetti - Thanks buddy :). Things are looking up, but there is still much dialage to be done in here. I made things much more difficult on myself at this new spot by trying new strains, changing nutes, brand of coco, dialing temps and humidity, dealing with two rooms hundreds of miles apart, etc, etc. Added to all of that I got RA on the last crop. It's not been easy, but i'm getting everything sorted out and learning more everyday. I'm just happy this is more of a bonus room and not my main production area, which thank god didn't develop any issues during this time. I'm sure I won't hit 2 lbs this round either, but I feel pretty good about getting at least 1.5 lbs. Not counting my chickens yet, but i've done enough grows to get a pretty good estimate. Also realized last night that my light timer has been set for 11/13 instead of 12/12 this whole grow. I changed the hours after last crop to fit my schedule a little better and apparently messed up. Doesn't seem to have hurt anything, and i'm saving .6 KWH everyday. I've also decided to change up my veg lighting abit, they now are on for 12 hours, then off for 5 1/2 hours, then on for an hour, then off for 5 1/2 hours. A member named mania here in the vert section put me on to this. He stated that he did 24 hour lighting for his veg, while a friend tried this other schedule. Same lights, dirt, feed, strain etc. His friends plants ended up bigger in the same amount of time, so i'm giving it a try for shits and giggles. After all for the time being this room is for me to experiment. It bears mentioning that my veg room is/has been running between 65-70 deg F for the last few months as i've been trying to slow growth a bit without causing lockout due to the roots being cold. This is also a big part of the reason for using flouros instead of the usual HID lighting. Oh, and yes it reeks in there. Changing cloths and showering is a must before I go out in public after being in the room. Will probably buy a 12x39 phresh filter after this crop is finished. Smell escaping isn't really an issue where i'm at, but it's always good to have all bases covered. Still working out the finer details of my take on bobblepods, and how to fit them in the big room (not been shown yet).

Vic - Not sure if your ego comment is meant as a generalization about growing or if you are implying that I have an ego problem? If you mean it as a generalization, I completely agree. This is something my mentors bring up every now and then. One should never become overly cocky about their ability to understand the plant, because she will always remind you how little you actually know when you least expect it. I personally feel i'm a pretty humble person, but i'm confident in what I know and willing to admit when I don't. This could at times be percieved as being egotistic, suppose it depends on how you look at it. I'm always learning however and have no illusions that there are many many growers better and more knowledgable than me. I'm very greatfull that some of those people are willing to teach me, so I can become better and teach someone else. The whole reason I hang out and post here is to learn from people with more knowledge than me, and as sgapetti can atest, to teach others what i've learned so they can become better growers themselves. At any rate i'm glad to have you here, hope you can learn from me, and maybe I can learn from you also. Welcome to icmag by the way :wave:. If your first 8 posts are any indication you will fit in just fine here. Hope to see you start a grow log in the future also.

Vic - Not sure if your ego comment is meant as a generalization about growing or if you are implying that I have an ego problem? If you mean it as a generalization, I completely agree. This is something my mentors bring up every now and then. One should never become overly cocky about their ability to understand the plant, because she will always remind you how little you actually know when you least expect it. I personally feel i'm a pretty humble person, but i'm confident in what I know and willing to admit when I don't. This could at times be percieved as being egotistic, suppose it depends on how you look at it. I'm always learning however and have no illusions that there are many many growers better and more knowledgable than me. I'm very greatfull that some of those people are willing to teach me, so I can become better and teach someone else. The whole reason I hang out and post here is to learn from people with more knowledge than me, and as sgapetti can atest, to teach others what i've learned so they can become better growers themselves. At any rate i'm glad to have you here, hope you can learn from me, and maybe I can learn from you also. Welcome to icmag by the way :wave:. If your first 8 posts are any indication you will fit in just fine here. Hope to see you start a grow log in the future also.

All growers must be humble. Not directed at you in the least. Apologies if it came off wrong. You said in your first post that its a blow to the ego when shit doesn't come off. My point was that the ego must be checked because sometimes, things just don't work out. That's why commercial farmers have crop insurance. The grower is the provider and the plant and nature is boss.

Thanks for the welcome. As for the grow log, well, I'm not sure. Hard to break old habits and I've never taken a picture of my work to date. This place is pretty cool so I finally broke out and posted. One step at a time, lol.

Things look great.

Mister_D

Veteran
Vic - No worries, just wanted to be clear is all. Sometimes it's difficult to know for sure how someone means what they are saying. I didn't take any offence either way, i've got a thick skin lol. I agree that there is only so much we as growers can control, sometimes things happen and one has to roll with the punches so to speak. I completely understand the old habits bit also. I had never taken a picture of any grow i'd done (10+ years) worth, until I started posting here. Even then I didn't intend to start a journal. Just posted a couple pics because people asked, and I thought I might get better information with a visual reference. Then I got a good amount of interest, so I kept going with it. Ultimately it's been a good experience for me, as a result i've met and been able to interact with a whole new group of growers. It's certainly not a requirement. I've been talking to people on here for years before I posted a picture, but you might be suprised at the ideas for improvement people will suggest that maybe you wouldn't have thought up on your own. Purely a personal choice. Thanks for the compliament also. These plants aren't quite where I want them yet, but i'm still dialing in a whole new nute program. Hope you'll stick around for the show, we're just getting to the good part. Also if you need any help with your own grow just let me know. I'm pretty knowledgable, and if I don't know I can surely direct you to people that do.

Mister_D

Veteran
~ 2.5 weeks to go

~ 2.5 weeks to go

About two and a half weeks until harvest, trichs will be the determining factor. Plants have been on a straight ph'd water diet for the last couple days and will remain on it until harvest. Camera battery died so I only got a few pictures this week.

Satori (Keeper Pheno)

picture.php

Satori (Winner Pheno)

picture.php

Satori (Skyrocket Pheno)

picture.php

Jack Herer
This branch got a little close to the light.

picture.php

picture.php

Romulan

picture.php

picture.php

Busy harvesting the big room so i'm keeping this post short and sweet.

Vic - i'll try and snap some shots of the veg room for you when I have a moment.

I've been researching light schedules the last week or so, and have come to the conclusion that accidently setting my timer for 11/13 cost me alot of stretch and probably some yield. This might be usefull information for someone wishing to contain a stretchy sativa or to micro growers needing to control height. I'll be doing some more testing with that theory when I start growing my haze seeds. Probably 11/13 through stretch, then back to 12/12 for the remainder of the swell cycle. Light intensity might also factor into how this works or doesn't also, so no concrete conclusions yet. I'm also testing 12 on, 5 off, 2 on, 5 off schedule in my veg room. Too early to say much about it, but so far growth is normal to better than normal, no signs of flowering, and i'm saving some money on electric.

sgapetti

Veteran
I've been researching light schedules the last week or so, and have come to the conclusion that accidently setting my timer for 11/13 cost me alot of stretch and probably some yield. This might be usefull information for someone wishing to contain a stretchy sativa or to micro growers needing to control height. I'll be doing some more testing with that theory when I start growing my haze seeds. Probably 11/13 through stretch, then back to 12/12 for the remainder of the swell cycle. Light intensity might also factor into how this works or doesn't also, so no concrete conclusions yet. I'm also testing 12 on, 5 off, 2 on, 5 off schedule in my veg room. Too early to say much about it, but so far growth is normal to better than normal, no signs of flowering, and i'm saving some money on electric.

From what i have been reading around, the 11/13 will work fine with a stretching sativa to contain the stretch, i never consider it as there will be some 30% weigth loss if applied the entire flowering cicle ( theory ). I never consider using it only during stretch and then back to 12/12, excellent , it may come handy in the near future;). Also the 12on/5off/2on/5off sounds interesting, please let me know how that works for you, after testing it . That said, so much resin!!:jump:i probably will get high by just entering that room:laughing: keep up the good work buddy:tiphat:

Mister_D

Veteran
From what i have been reading around, the 11/13 will work fine with a stretching sativa to contain the stretch, i never consider it as there will be some 30% weigth loss if applied the entire flowering cicle ( theory ). I never consider using it only during stretch and then back to 12/12, excellent , it may come handy in the near future;). Also the 12on/5off/2on/5off sounds interesting, please let me know how that works for you, after testing it . That said, so much resin!!:jump:i probably will get high by just entering that room:laughing: keep up the good work buddy:tiphat:

I have also read 11/13 is good for controling stretch, and in my very limited experience it seems to work. I also agree loss of yield is probable, but could be over come with greater light intensity (theory). Look more into "daily light interval" for more information on that thought. I don't think anyone could put a concrete number on how much yield loss will occur because of the differences in enviroment, strain, and grower skill. Perfect example of the quote you have in your sig. I'll let you know how the new veg schedule works out in the long term, but I feel pretty good about it. I remember reading about growers in columbia using CFL's for an hour to keep their outdoor crops vegging longer because it's basicly always 12/12 that close to the equator. Makes sense to me, but time will tell for sure. :laughing: Us italians do seem to have a supernatural addiction to the resins. Wish I could show you what the jack and romulan look like in the big room, but I respect my partners wishes. If all continues well with him this room will be getting the proper upgrades in the next few months, and then i'll show what these genes are really capable of.

In other news I put the flower room back on 10ml per gal PBP soil bloom. A few days on straight water and the plants started to yellow. A little to early for my liking, so i'm going to feed for another week then flush for a week and harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts