What's new

Mineralizing soil

JohnQQ

Trichrider:

I certainly don't disagree with you about magnesium and nitrogen not playing nice together in unbalanced ratios.

(I understand this isn't the ROLS area, and no-till isn't necessarily the standard here)
Would establishing nitrogen fixers like white and crimson clover help offset the nitrogen demand?
Also, why not keep zeolite as a top layer if it's possible? From what I understand, this would help prevent the loss of nitrogen from outgassing.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong (and also provide sources, if possible, for the benefit of others).

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Correct. As well as my compost. (at least according to my current grow) I make high quality compost from seaweed and rabbit manure. Technically, it isn't compost, because I run it through worms, first. So I guess it's humus.

The correct term is vermicompost

But I can build the Calcium Carbonate/Soft Rock Phosphate/Gysum recipe, should that be a viable option. For right now, I need to stay away from soil tests, test equipment, and massive investments of any sort. If that eliminates me from any of the methods that have been spoken of, I will totally understand. This is a quest for knowledge.

I like to think of calcium carbonate as a buffer or inhibitor when pH is too hot, but I question it as a starting block. As a buffering agent in bloom phase there is logic.

Rock Phosphate is a solid bet for early growth where high phosphorous levels are beneficial, but if phosphate is generalized throughout the soil spanning the entire cycle, the rock phosphate might conflict with nutrients which are attempting to supply it within their NPK ratio. Although phosphate mixed towards favoring early root growth might always stay present in waterings, a more generalized mix which is present throughout all soil and the greater root system might result in constant phosphorous level conflict with later bloom phase nutrient levels.

Latest posts

Latest posts