What's new

MilehighGuy's Organic Soil Journal

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Beautiful! What are the plans to keep it clean? I imagine that even if you were to rig up a teabag of sorts (pillowcase, paint strainer bag, stocking/nylons, whatever) you're still going to have some grit/sediment.. ?

Is it as simple as just rinsing it out after each use?

:thank you:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
It's very easy, I've cleaned it several times.

One clamp adjusts and releases all of the piping. I also unhook the bungy cord holding the pipe from shaking.

Disconnect the small pieces and wash out. Wash the tank separate and rinse with soapy water.

Reconnect back in minute or two and it's back in action.

No tea bag. I screen the earth worm castings before putting them in to make sure there isn't a rock or something else in there that could clog it up.

The bottom of the container I purchased has an opening large enough for me to put my hand into and scrub if need be. I left the whole small on the top so that I don't require a Cover while brewing.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Spraying and snapping photos

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

O

Old_Headbanger

How do you like the mix you mentioned in the rols thread compared to the one you put together at the begining of this one? What are some of the differences if any? Any growth rate difference? Everything looks nice and healthy!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I'll update you as I finish flowering with the first run of the simple batch.

So far I LOVE coots recipe. Simple and working flawlessly. I could imagine that Gascanastan's mix will last longer with less input, but I'm not scared to re-amend this base mix in the future.

To be fair - It's not been long enough for me to say anything with accuracy.

CoMedUsr

So green, love the thread & the information in it! :tiphat:

Have you ever thought about experimenting with a fully organic hydro system just for kicks?

MileHighGuy

Veteran
So green, love the thread & the information in it! :tiphat:

Have you ever thought about experimenting with a fully organic hydro system just for kicks?

Yes I have. I have done it. Will never do again.

Organic and hydro do not go together IMO

I love Soil. There is magic in it.

The bottled nutrients that exist aren't organic in my opinion and bypass the entire Soil Food Web that I feel is so important.

To each their own.... but for me. Soil is the Bee's Knee's man.

Edit: Not hating, just understand it better now than I did when I was on that kick. Ask me anything you want. I might even have some old photos of it.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I love Soil. There is magic in it.

To each their own.... but for me. Soil is the Bee's Knee's man.

:yeahthats

Bottled nutes and other media seem to me an attempt at reinventing the wheel. Why reinvent the wheel when you can just learn about the wheel and how to polish the damned thing?!

:blowbubbles:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
:yeahthats

Bottled nutes and other media seem to me an attempt at reinventing the wheel. Why reinvent the wheel when you can just learn about the wheel and how to polish the damned thing?!

:blowbubbles:

Yes Sir. Only thing is, the new wheel is very profitable for big business.

Do it yourself compost and recycled soil isn't very good for business.... well, it's good for mine!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Oh... the chicken feeder I got at my local feed store.... $40 I would have never bought it... but I thought it was $15 until I got to the counter.

Next time I would just use a 5 gallon water container because of the price and the round sides...

But, it just shows that you can be creative and get almost anything to work.

12ver

I have been going to all second hand stores to get one of those 5 gallon water bottles but they don't have any right now. I will have to see what the local feed store has. Thanks so much!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I have been going to all second hand stores to get one of those 5 gallon water bottles but they don't have any right now. I will have to see what the local feed store has. Thanks so much!

New they are full of water for 7.00 at the grocery store

Latest posts

Latest posts