What's new

Micro carbon filters?

genetic freaked

Veteran
What's up all. I've been searching the forums and am having a hard time finding micro carbon filters.
Mr Sparkle has a nice basic Rubbermaid filled with fish charcoal and pulls trough it. So far this is the best since I can pull the air from the mini grow boxes into the Rubbermaid filter and out. It's just doesn't kill the smel 100%. And I need something that completely removes the smell on a stinky strain like GG4.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't seen any micro carbon filters for sale. You'd probably be better off making your own so you can fit it to your cab.

grouchy

I've seen some 3d printed "soldering filters" that incorporate pc fans that would work.

I've been using two pc fans sealed to tupperware filled with charcoal. The charcoal needs changed every couple months and it isn't very powerful. It works fine for cooling a couple externally sinked Leds in a small cab.

picture.php

Do your research on static pressure if you plan on using pc fans. Not many are quiet and powerful enough to push the air required.

Hey!

To completely remove the smell from a smelly strain is a task for a multiple methods.

Although, I believe it is possible to make an air scrubber for a micro growing setup that is capable of removing smell nearly to 100%.

The axial fans aren't a good option for pulling/pushing air through a filtering unit - their static pressure numbers are just not sufficient. Have a look on the blowers (radial fans) - they develop about 10 times higher static pressure which is exactly what we need.

Here's some information on a DIY scrubber with this kind of fan to push odorous air through.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=340156
Feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure where you are my friend, but do an online search for "micro harvester" a german company that makes a small pretty smart grow cabinet. As a spare part for this cabinet of theirs, the micro harvester, they sell a radial fan built into a small carbon scrubber. Totally professionally made, small and worth the money.
Good luck !
CC

Athos

I assume that by micro filter you refer to size and not air flow capacity, right? Because I just finished putting together my grow box (H 3.2' x W 1.9' x D 1.2) and i used the Can filter 705 rated for 13 CFM which could be considered a micro filter regarding how much air it can filter.

genetic freaked

Veteran
I honestly don't care as much about the size of the filter as I do that it takes care of the smell 100%.
I have a filter that I was using for my 4x4' box but the fan/filter is just to much for the micro setup.
I'm only looking to filter a room that 2'x2'x3'h. And 2x2 is prob really going to be 1.5x1.5. Not much room is needed for personal smoke.
What size fan would work in a small setup like that? I was thinking of using one of the small can fans from Home Depot and pull the air through a little Rubbermaid filled with carbon.
Also what kind of carbon is everyone using?

Athos

The filter I'm using, the Can 705 that can be seen in the previous post picture, it's recommended up to 13 CFM and the grow box dimensions are H 3,2' x W 1.9' x D 1.2' for a total of 7,2 cu.ft and I hooked it to a Noctua NF A6 FLX, it's a small 60 mm computer fan, very quiet and undervolts like a champ, I have tested it from 4.5 V to 12 V and everything in between and it has enough static pressure to be used with the filter.

It's enough for you? Well depends on your ambient temperature, It's kind of cold here most of the year (32F to 59F) so depending on the voltage the fan can pull from 6 CFM up to 17 CFM, which is enough for my setup, if you consider a 30% airflow drop due to the filter static pressure the CFM range lies between 4.5 and 12 CFM, which makes it perfect for my situation.

What temperatures do you have and what kind of lighting are you planning to use?

justanotherbozo

Veteran
yeah, i'm surprised nobody has linked you to this thread but it is well worth checking here first any time you need to build something grow related.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40637

...anyway, scroll down the list until you find the 'Odor Control' section where you will find several different styles of carbon scrubber, i'm sure you can make one of these work for you.

peace, bozo