What's new

Micro 8 Plant SWC 2.5L Ziplock Container Grow

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Alright folks in the spirit of DrBud style of growing you know we love to go against the cramming rules and small containers for root mass so I'm at it again!!!

This time I'm using a 2.5 Liter Ziplock container and I've cut 8 squares in the lid to hold 8 1" Rock Wool cubes with roots clones in them already. So I had 8 cuts rooted and ready to trans plant and had another batch already rooted as well in Jiffy pots so I decided to use the RW clones for my hydro experiment:joint: I have a a 10-30 gal fish tank pump from Walmart and I'm using a 5" Bubble Bar air stone and I'm going with GH Flora Nova Grow and Flora Nova Bloom for this grow and they are being vegged under 2 20w 5000K T12s and will stay there until the hit the bulbs then I will move them into my veg cab till I feel they are big enough to flower which wont be no more than 2 weeks either way cuz it's hydro and I think they are going to stretch more...

picture.php

:woohoo: look at those bad ass super powerful T12s!!!! :woohoo:

picture.php

The close up of water and roots if you can see em lol

picture.php

Thunder Goo clones rooted and ready to veg SWC style!!

picture.php

There's the Micro SWC system rocking the green Ziplock container from XMAS time which help keep some light out and I can still see the root system:joint:

Well that's it for now but I think this should be a fun thread and hopefully we all learn something new from it cuz this will be bad ass if I can get all 8 of these girls to give me 7 grams or better in such a small container and closer together than the 20oz bottle SOG :yeahthats

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Also don't be scared to say something cuz I'm curious what people think about this setup if they think it will fail or if will work ect... Let get the discussion going

girdurnerd

Looks cool. I lurk a lot and I've been watching everyone's micro grows, but yours is exactly what I want to do so... thanks for being a guinea pig. :D

Hope those girls grow up big!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I have done this set up once befor for my clones but once there roots got 2-3 inches long it was time to plant into a bigger dwc or a kind of good medium like soil or coco or whatever.

cuz I had 2 mini cloning dwc tubs like that and had left 6 clones in there then there roots grew into each other after a while. so when I tryed taking out thouse 2ed set of clones there roots riped apart. I planted them into great potting soil just like the others but they didn't make it.
well thats my experience with this set up.

maybe other ppl had better luck wit it. I think its great for getting good roots on ur clones.

they'll take ur brain to another dimension and back agen.

g0dzilla

ICMag Donor
Veteran
from my experiance your roots will def cramm up that whole container soon.. might be tough.. lets see if it works tho

should work pretty well good. I've cut back to a 5 quart res for my moms and vegging, its been working excellent. I'll be interested to see how this works with such a shallow res.

I'd have to recommend light proofing the constiner though....I didnt light proof one and had ph swings and algae buildup like crazy. Light proofed and it went back to normal.

Are you planning on adding back or simply replacing the res each time? I wonder if a float valve could fit in your containers.....daily addbacks start to become a pain in the ass.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Thanks for the warm wishes I hope it goes well that would be some record breaking shit if I flower all 8 of them and get a good yield, well at least it beat a record in my mind of never seeing it done as I've seen people clone like this and people flower 5 clones at a time in 1 gal buckets so I'm seeing if we can go a bit more micro..

As for res changing I'll probably change it out every 2 weeks cuz I grew 2 plants DWC in a contain barely bigger than this and I had em for over a month and only changed it once and they were vigorous as hell and didn't have any problems at all so we'll see.. I know I'm going to go Lucas Formula when I flower though to keep it simple

Max0r

Thundurkel:

How many lumens do each of those T-12's put out?

Also, those cuts, are they the tried and true Thunder Goo or a mix of cuts from your other cab?

ljjr

i rarely post, but i just had to come out of the shadows to say how cool i think this is! i am definitely subscribed! gl!!!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Thundurkel:

How many lumens do each of those T-12's put out?

Also, those cuts, are they the tried and true Thunder Goo or a mix of cuts from your other cab?

A whopping 875 lumens each!!! LOL they get they job done though for clones, this isn't where I veg at and yes it's the tried and true Thunder Goo all 8 of them came from the same mom and the sweet spot in soil is 4" and it will finish at 16-18" giving you 7-14g so I'm not sure if hydro is any different I need to go bug Connoisseur300 or hope he stops through here cuz he's the dude when it comes to this kinda shit IMO

Squeeky

Wow just when i think i've got a great setup. pyl-l lamps, silent, plenty of lumens, and more pop bottles then the recycling company. You show me micro hydro, which would allow me to water much less, and better use my Floranova. Damn you thunk, but honestly thank you for helping me stay medicated.

squeeky

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Dude your lamps are shitting on what's pictured thats just for my cloning purposes, I veg under a T5, some T8s and daylight CFLs but yea I have a feeling this is going to work and if it does I'm going to get a 2 week harvest going with a few of these in the cab!!! Nah I dunno really I had these 8 clones I had been waiting to show roots cuz they were a week ahead of 1 tray and 2 weeks ahead of another. But yet these other trays with Jiffy Plug clones were rooting before these last 8 clones I have in 1" Rock Wool cubes well today I saw that all 8 of them finally were rooted and I decided to try this out cuz I have another tray of healthier clones in Jiffy's ready for transplant in a few days so this is extra really I'm just wondering how soon I should flower it?? The cuts are 2" and 3" and I don't have any experience with hydro I just know it grows bigger plants and Connoisseur300 flower's his Blueberry at 2" and I think it finishes at 16" which is perfect for me. Shit 8 Thunder Goo ladies 16"-18" would give me no less that 7g each in theory so 56g on one container 2oz a week if I wanted but I'd have it every 2 weeks

forester

I cant see any reason not to black out the container mate. Some black electrical tape or the muso's choice GAFFA might be a good option.

Would it be worth scrogging the grow?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Good luck Thundurkel,
Must be honest with you, the roots will prolly outgrow that tub. Lightproof that thing, like suggested earlier. Algae feeds off of light and heat, use some reflective tape it will keep it in check. Smaller containers mean more work in hydro. Also, ditch the rockwool it will drown your plants if kept like that. Use ez cloner pucks instead, they work much better and you do not have to pretreat them like rockwool which can cause pH swings. It would be cool if you can get it to work, if you take the advice your chances will greatly increase! SWC shows everything faster, good or bad...it pays to not take shortcuts!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
yea I hate rock wool I just happened to have these from my last rw cube batch, I'll duct tape up the res today I just like to see my water level and being dark green I think it's blocking enough light but I'll do it anyway but just so you all know I did do a DWC in a clear Sterlite container and had no issues....

I agree I think 8 plants may be to much as far as root mass goes and I'm thinking 4-5 would be perfect but that's what this test is for. To see just how much space cannabis really needs to give a decent single spike plant, even if it does well though I doubt I'll keep doing cuz I don't like hydro buds they tend to lose more weight and don't taste as good as organic soil grown cannabis :joint:

slowandeasy

Veteran
It can be done without blocking light, but why take a chance? The more intense the lighting the more need to be lightproof. Rockwool will get soaked and cause troubles, maybe stem rot too. Pool noodles work good too, but its hard to find them without a hole in the middle now. 8 in that small of a container is alot, but who knows it might work. Just keep your temps down below 72 for the water and you should have better luck.
If you do hydro right it will way outproduce your organic...but agree that good organic just has different taste. By the way what are you starting them out pH and ppm wise? Suggest keeping pH 5.6-6.0 so you do not get cal-mag problem. Good luck!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
well I don't have a ph tester and saw no problems with the DWC so I'm thinking my water is safe but we'll see, as for the rw it's not going to be touching the water for very long at all cuz the roots are reaching for the water already so I think I'll be ok... Right now I'm using 1tsp of Flora Nova Grow per gal

Latest posts

Latest posts