What's new

Michigan made history by filing the first grassroots cannabis legalization petition

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I'm worried that by nothing getting done on the ballot this year, we'll likely face corporate negotiated legislation out of Lansing before we'll have another shot at the ballot. We both know exactly how that game in Lansing has been playing out medicinally the past few years ...

I think you’re 100% justified to worry and spot-on with how you think it’ll play out. I think it’s over now. They now have plenty of time to put the screws to us through legislation.

We needed it on the ballot this year... at this point I fear our only hope is something at the Federal level. Would love to find myself mistaken, though.

I hear the corporate drumbeat fast approaching.

shaggyballs

Veteran
so over 100,000 signatures we more than 180 days old and it looks like a flop...sounded too good for the regular folks they had to pull a rabbit out of their a##.

Vote no if it is not what you want or else!

Update

The campaign to legalize marijuana in Michigan says there’s still time to get the question on the November ballot.

That was a core issue in the most recent briefs filed last week in the MI Legalize campaign’s challenge to an elections board decision that its petition drive fell short of the required number of signatures.

The Board of State Canvassers said too many signatures were more than 180 days old when the petitions were turned in.

The rule exists to ensure that only the names of currently registered voters are counted. MI Legalize says the rule is anachronistic when it’s very easy to check the names against the state’s online database of registered voters. So the campaign is asking a state Court of Claims judge to order the state to count the older signatures.

“We’ve worked so hard,” says MI Legalize attorney Jeff Hank. “So many people have put a lot into this, and we really just want to have the opportunity to vote on it. So, we feel like we have a really good case, a really good argument.”

The Legislature responded to the controversy by adopting a law to enshrine the 180-day rule, but Hank says the law does not apply in this instance because the petitions were turned in before it was adopted.

Hank says the state has until at least September 9 to finalize the ballot in time to get absentee ballots printed and in the mail by the September 24 deadline.

But the state says it’s already too late. The state argues it’s not possible now for elections officials to do a thorough review, put the question to the Legislature for 40 days as required by the Michigan Constitution, and still make the deadline to get on the November ballot.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
All those lawyers involved and not one provided the competent legal guidance to restrict the petition drive to under 6 months by design at the get go? Now these same lawyers want to sue the State to get around the 180 days and before the ballots are printed?

Well said.

These are the questions I have as well.

I hope their poor managerial skills isn’t a reflection of their competence to understand and practice law.

What a fumble. And an embarrassment. It just feeds into the stoner stereotype. I’ve already heard opponents laughing about it... It doesn’t speak to professionalism, that’s for sure.

Update...

The Legislature responded to the controversy by adopting a law to enshrine the 180-day rule, but Hank says the law does not apply in this instance because the petitions were turned in before it was adopted.

The law was adopted to enshrine the rule specifically to address the very issue Hank now wants to say the law doesn’t apply to... where’d this guy study propositional logic? Good grief.

Knock me over with a feather if this appears on the ballot. The Legislature has spoken.

TheMan13

Veteran
Well said.

These are the questions I have as well.

I hope their poor managerial skills isn’t a reflection of their competence to understand and practice law.

What a fumble. And an embarrassment. It just feeds into the stoner stereotype. I’ve already heard opponents laughing about it... It doesn’t speak to professionalism, that’s for sure.

What really gets me is the past eight years of MMMA criminal cases they've lost (or we couldn't afford to win) that have now accumulated into case law (aka common law) essentially nullifying our law into a useless equivocated exception.

On the upside I just received the Michigan Bar Journal this month and it's all MMMA cover to cover. Let's hope we can finally draw some exceptional legal minds to get us out of this mess we've been boxed into ...

I'm getting tired of seeing these cases:

Man With Marijuana License Loses Child Custody Case After Felony Pot Bust.

[YOUTUBEIF]K_SIb56ZBps[/YOUTUBEIF]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_SIb56ZBps